Page images

On October twentieth, Colonel Warren W. Packer, commanding this brigade, was mustered out of the United States service, his term having expired, and was succeeded in command by the undersigned on the afternoon of the same day.

1. Major James Francis, Second Massachusetts fifteenth November, when they again joined the volunteers, Acting Assistant Inspector General. brigade. 2. Surgeon H. Z. Gill, Surgeon U. S. volunteers, Surgeon-in-Chief. 3. Captain George B. Cadwallader, Assistant Quartermaster. 4. Captain John C. Livezey, Commissary Subsistence. 5. Captain E. A. Wickes, One Hundred and Fiftieth New-York volunteers, Acting Commissary Musters. 6. Captain S. A. Bennett, One Hundred and Seventh New-York volunteers, Acting Topographical Engineer. 7. Captain M. P. Whitney, Fifth Connecticut volunteers, Provost-Marshal. 8. Captain William J. Augustine, Twenty-ninth Pennsylvania volunteers, Ordnance Officer. 9. First Lieutenant George Robinson, Aid-de-Camp to Brigadier-General Williams, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General. 10. First Lieutenant E. B. Benedict, Forty-sixth New-York volunteers, Aidde-Camp.

Accompanying this report, I forward reports of brigade and regimental commanders. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, N. J. JACKSON,

Brigadier-General Commanding.


SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 26, 1864.

Lieutenant George Robinson, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, First Division, Twentieth Army Corps.

LIEUTENANT: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of this brigade from the occupation of Atlanta, until the capture of Savannah, Georgia.

Immediately after the troops of this brigade entered Atlanta, they were encamped in the eastern part of the city, close by the earthworks, formerly occupied by the enemy. Nothing of importance occurred in the command up to September eleventh, at which time the troops were moved to the north-western portion of the town, where they were encamped upon a ridge, which commanded the country in our immediate front, giving us an admirable position in case of attack. Here most excellent quarters were erected by the men, and the camps of the several regiments were paragons of neatness and regularity, reflecting much credit upon both officers and men.

On September twenty-second, General Joseph F. Knipe, then commanding the brigade, started for Memphis, Tennessee, having been ordered to report there by an order from General Sherman, to assume the duties of Chief of Cavalry of the army of Tennessee.

Colonel Warren W. Packer, Fifth Connecticut veteran volunteers, being senior in rank, assumed command of the brigade on the morning of September twenty-second. On September twenty-eighth, the One Hundred and Forty-first regiment New-York volunteers were detailed to report to Colonel Crane, One Hundred and Seventh New-York volunteers, for duty in the city, in accordance with orders from division headquarters, where they remained doing guard duty until the

On the morning of October twenty-first, pursuant to orders from division headquarters, this brigade, in company with one from each of the other divisions of the corps, started at six A.M. on a foraging expedition, which was under command of Colonel Dustin, of the One Hundred and Fifth Illinois volunteers, commanding Third division of this corps.

We moved to Decatur, and from there to Latimer's, where we encamped for the night. On the twenty-second and twenty-third we were busily engaged loading our wagons with fodder, corn, and provisions of all kinds.

The troops subsisted almost entirely upon the country, and succeeded in loading all the wagons with supplies, as mentioned above. We started from Latimer's on our return at one P.M., on the twenty-third, and encamped for the night about two miles from Decatur. At eleven A. M., on the twenty-fourth, this brigade moved from its encampment, having the rear of the train to protect, and reached Atlanta at three P.M. We were very much favored in regard to weather, and the expedition was a complete success. Pursuant to orders from division headquarters, this brigade started for Decatur on the morning of October twenty-ninth, at six o'clock, for the purpose of rendering assistance to a foraging expedition, sent out a few days previous, under charge of General John W. Geary, in case he was attacked by the enemy's cavalry, who were reported hovering about his vicinity. I arrived at Decatur with my brigade at seven A.M., and met the head of General Geary's train about ten A.M., on their return to Atlanta. I remained in Decatur until the last of General Geary's train had passed, when I brought up the rear with my brigade, and reached Atlanta by seven P.M.

On the afternoon of November fifth, pursuant to orders from division headquarters, I moved my brigade from the city of Atlanta on to the McDonough road, in company with the other brigades of this division, and encamped about two miles from the city. On the afternoon of the following day I was ordered to return to Atlanta, which I did, occupying my old campingground.

Early on the morning of November ninth, the pickets of the corps were attacked by the enemy's cavalry, and my brigade was ordered to the breastworks on the Marietta road as a support to the Second brigade of this division, which had gone out on a reconnoissance.

While here, one of my staff-officers, who had permission to go beyond our works, captured two of the enemy's cavalrymen in a house, about half a mile from the city. They were turned over to the Provost-Marshal of this division.

My brigade remained at the breastworks until

after dark, when I was ordered to return to camp. From the ninth to the fifteenth of November nothing of importance occurred.

The foraging expeditions, while at Atlanta, yielded to my brigade thirty thousand pounds of corn and fifty-five thousand two hundred and thirty pounds of fodder, besides large quantities of provisions which were captured by the men and no record kept of the amounts. Sixty-six negroes came into our lines at Atlanta, on the picket-line of my brigade, some of whom were sent to the quartermaster, while others were re

tained as officers' servants.

On the morning of November fifteenth, we started from Atlanta en route for Savannah. My brigade was the leading one of the corps, and moved toward Decatur at seven A.M., passed through that town, and after travelling about fourteen miles in an easterly direction, encamped for the night near Stone Mountain. November sixteenth, moved from camp this afternoon at one P.M., and, after a march of about ten miles, encamped for the night near Rockbridge. November seventeenth, moved from near Rockbridge at nine A.M., travelled about fifteen miles toward Social Circle, and encamped at twelve midnight. November eighteenth, started from encampment at ten A.M., reached Social Circle at two P.M., where my brigade halted for dinner.

cavalry. Were detained here till two P.M., by which time the bridges were rebuilt, and we passed quietly over the swamp, and after marching about five miles, encamped at five P.M.

November twenty-sixth, entered Sandersville this morning at eleven o'clock. Moved to Tennille Station at two P.M., and destroyed about two miles of railroad, together with large government warehouses, the railroad depot, and sixty-two bales of cotton.

November twenty-seventh, marched toward Davisboro at six A.M., and reached that place at four P.M., where we encamped, after marching about twelve miles.

November twenty-eighth, brigade moved to the Georgia Central Railroad, and assisted in destroying the track, etc., from Davisboro to Spears Station, a distance of twelve miles. Arrived at Spears and encamped at seven P.M. November twentyninth, continued destroying the railroad at seven A.M., and reached Bostwick Station about six P.M., after having destroyed eight miles of road.

November thirtieth, started this morning toward Louisville at nine o'clock, and after marching ten miles, encamped within two miles of Louisville.

December first. Pursuant to orders from division headquarters, I reported with my brigade to Brigadier-General Ward, commanding Third division, Twentieth corps, who placed my brigade as guard alongside his wagon-train, which was in rear of the corps. After travelling about five miles, we encamped with the third division.

December second, started at daylight in the same order as yesterday, marched about twelve miles, and got into camp at six P.M. Received orders from General Jackson to join the First division at six o'clock the following morning. De

A.M., and joined the First division, which was two
miles in advance, at six A.M. Travelled about
fourteen miles, and encamped near Horse Creek
at four P.M. December fourth, started this morn-
ing at six o'clock, and after marching through a
desolate piny country for fifteen miles, encamped
near Little Ogeechee River at four P.M
ber fifth, did not move till four P.M. Very bad
roads; marched four miles, and encamped about


The brigade was in the extreme rear of the corps, acting as rear-guard; marched about nineteen miles, and encamped near Rutledge at ten P.M. November nineteenth, started from near Rutledge at nine A.M., passed through Madison at eleven A.M., and encamped at five P.M. a few miles south of that place on the Milledgeville road, after marching about eight miles. November twentieth, moved toward Eatonton this morn-cember third, brigade started at half-past five ing at nine A.M., and encamped about five miles from Eatonton, after marching ten miles. This days's march was a very severe one, owing to the muddy nature of the roads. More or less rain during the entire day and evening. Nevember twenty-first, moved from our encampment at nine A.M., and passed through Eatonton about noon-roads in very bad conditiontravelled twelve miles, and encamped at twelve midnight fourteen miles from Milledgeville. November twenty-second, my brigade entered Milledgeville at four P.M., without opposition, crossed the Oconee River, and encamped close to the city at five P.M. November twenty-third, pursuant to orders from division headquarters, this brigade marched through the city of Milledgeville at one P.M., to the Milledgeville and Gordon Railroad, five miles of which we completely destroyed by burning and bending the rails. Returned to camp at nine P.M. November twenty-fourth, resumed our march this morning at seven o'clock, and after travelling about fourteen miles, went into camp near Hebron, at four P.M. Roads very much improved, weather cold and clear. November twenty-fifth, started this morning promptly at six o'clock; reached Buffalo Swamp at eight A.M. Found that the bridges (nine in number) had been destroyed by the enemy's

December sixth, started at six A.M., marched about ten miles, and encamped near Smoke's House at six P.M. December seventh, resumed our march at ten A.M., having the rear of the corps. Passed through one continuous swamp, twelve miles in length, and reached camp near Springfield on the following morning at two o'clock, the most tedious and unpleasant march during the campaign-rain during the entire day.

December eighth, resumed our march at seven A.M., and after marching twelve miles through a flat, swampy country, encamped at dark about twenty miles north-west of Savannah. December ninth, brigade moved at seven A. M., in advance of the corps. After travelling about seven miles, we came to a portion of the road which had been most effectually obstructed by slashed timber which extended about two hundred yards,

at the end of which was an open field, and in the field, completely commanding the road, were two forts occupied by the enemy, and from which position they prevented our pioneers from clearing the road of the obstructions referred to.

In accordance with orders from division headquarters, I sent forward the Fifth regiment Connecticut veteran volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel H. W. Daboll commanding, as skirmishers, and shortly afterward sent the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania veteran volunteers, One Hundred and Twenty-third New-York volunteers, and One Hundred and Forty-first New-York volunteersall that remained of my brigade-to support the Fifth Connecticut veteran volunteers. In a short time they opened fire, and in conjunction with the Second and Third brigades which had been sent around on their flanks, drove the enemy in great confusion from both forts, and captured two prisoners. Lieutenant-Colonel Daboll, commanding the Fifth Connecticut veteran volunteers, is entitled to much credit for the gallant manner in which he charged and drove the ene my from their works, as he was directly under fire of their guns and exposed to much danger. He is a brave officer, and worthy of promotion. I moved on beyond the forts in line of battle for a distance of about one and a half miles, when I was ordered to return and encamp for the night. In this little affair I only lost three men in my brigade-all from the Forty-sixth regiment Pennsylvania veteran volunteers, one man wounded in the leg, afterward amputated, one man wounded severely in the head, and one other slightly in the shoulder.

There was supposed to be about one thousand of the enemy in the forts, with two pieces of artillery.

Geary's line, and my right connecting with the left of the Third brigade of this division. Here I remained until the morning of the twenty-first instant, when it was discovered that the enemy had evacuated his works. In accordance with orders from division headquarters, I moved my brigade at six A.M., and occupied the rebel works. Shortly afterward, I moved my troops to within a mile of the city of Savannah, where they were encamped.

During the time we were encamped in front of Savannah, my troops were within close range of the enemy's guns, and although they kept up a vigorous fire upon our lines, strange to say, only one man of my command was struck by their missiles. He was a member of the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania veteran volunteers, and was slightly wounded by a piece of shell.

During the whole campaign, the foraging was all that could be desired. The troops of my command subsisted principally from the captures of regimental foraging parties, which were sent out daily by each regimental commander.

Beside this, my Acting Commissary of Subsistence obtained the following supplies, and issued them to this command during the march :

Twelve (12) wagon-loads sweet potatoes, averaging one thousand six hundred (1600) pounds per load; one hundred (100) head of beef cattle, averaging two hundred (200) pounds each; one hundred (100) sheep; fifty (50) hogs; two (2) half-barrels sorghum molasses.

The brigade captured about forty horses and mules, destroyed five (5) cotton-gins, and seventythree (73) bales of cotton; picked up about one hundred (100) negroes, and destroyed twenty (20) miles of railroad. During the march, the Quartermaster of this brigade obtained from the December 10.-Travelled about nine miles, and country thirty-six thousand and ninety-four encamped four miles from Savannah. Five of pounds of corn, and seventy-five thousand two the enemy's soldiers surrendered near General | hundred and thirty-one pounds of fodder. Our Harrison's plantation to Captain A. W. Selfridge, stock was in much better condition when we enAssistant Commissary Subsistence of this bri- tered Savannah than it was at the commencement gade, while the latter was foraging in advance of of the campaign. The health of the command my troops. The Fifth Connecticut veteran vol- was never better, and both officers and men were unteers of my command captured a wagon load- in excellent spirits, and seemed to have the most ed with ammunition. The road at the point perfect confidence in the success of our enterwhere we encamped for the night was obstruct- prise. When I left Atlanta, on the fifteenth of ed by slashed timber, and just beyond the slash- November, the effective force of this brigade was ing, the enemy were strongly fortified. Pursu- sixty-three (63) commissioned officers and one ant to orders from Brigadier-General N. J. Jack-thousand four hundred and forty-eight (1448) son, I sent the Forty-sixth regiment Pennsylvania veteran volunteers about half a mile to the left, on a road running parallel with the enemy's works, and about four hundred yards from them. In endeavoring to reach the river, this regiment met the enemy's skirmishers, and after a brisk fire of fifteen or twenty minutes, were obliged to fall back about two hundred yards. While here, seven (7) deserters from the enemy gave themselves up, and were forwarded to division headquarters. On the following day, I moved the remainder of my brigade to the road upon which the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania veteran volunteers were stationed, my left connecting with General

enlisted men.

At the close of the campaign, I had sixty-four (64) officers and one thousand three hundred and eighty (1380) enlisted men, making an increase of one officer, and a decrease of sixty-eight (68) enlisted men. Twenty-three of the above are supposed to have been captured by the enemy, and four of them were wounded. The remainder-forty-one (41)-were taken from the effective force of the command on account of sickness. In closing my report, duty requires that I should make a few comments upon the conduct of line and non-commissioned officers, many of whom seemed to forget the responsibility of their po

sitions, and did but little toward preserving that discipline for which this command has ever been renowned.

Regimental commanders exerted themselves to have their men together, and endeavor to prevent straggling; but owing to the indifference of line and non-commissioned officers, were unable to prevent their men from taking liberties which could and might have been remedied by their subordinates.

To my regimental commanders, I wish to tender my warmest thanks for the cheerful manner in which they discharged each and every duty imposed upon them.

Captain William Merrill, commanding One Hundred and Forty-first New-York volunteers, is entitled to especial praise for the zealous manner in which he performed the duties which devolved upon him as a regimental commander, having but a short time been in command, and with but very few company officers to assist him.

To Captain D. W. Palmer, Assistant AdjutantGeneral; Captain William C. Rockwell, Acting Assistant Inspector-General; Captain A. W. Selfridge, Assistant Commissary Subsistence; First Lieutenant George Tubbs, Togographical Engineer; First Lieutenant R. Cruikshank, ProvostMarshal; First Lieutenant A. L. Crawford, Acting Assistant Quartermaster; and Lieutenant W. F. Martin, Aid-de-Camp, members of my staff, I wish to offer my grateful appreciation of their efforts at all times to assist me in performing the several duties devolving upon them in a cheerful and soldier-like manner.

Just previous to leaving Atlanta, my Aid-deCamp, Lieutenant Martin, received a leave of absence for twenty days, and, although without proper equipments for a campaign, (having just made his escape from Charleston prison,) when he learned that we were likely to start southward before the expiration of his leave of absence, refused to avail himself of the same, and has been ever at his post, ready and willing to perform whatever service I required of him.

Accompanying this report, you will please find reports of my regimental commanders.

All of which are most respectfully submitted. I have the honor to be, Lieutenant, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JAMES L. SELfridge, Colonel Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers, Commanding First Brigade.


SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 24, 1864.

assigned to the duty of garrisoning the city, this regiment went into camp on the north-east of the town. The troops built themselves comfortable and commodious quarters, and stringent measures were adopted for preserving the health of the men, somewhat impaired by the protracted campaign and defective diet. With the exceptions hereafter noted, the regiment remained here in camp until the fifteenth November following, engaged in the customary duties of the garrison, namely, drills, picket-guards, and fatigue upon the fortifications.

On the twenty-first day of October, this regiment, in connection with other forces, and a large number of wagons, the whole under the command of Colonel Dustin, went upon a foraging expedition into the Snapfinger Creek and South-River valleys. A large amount of corn and fodder was gathered here, but I have no definite knowledge or official information of the amount. The expedition returned, without being molested, on the twenty-fourth October.

On the twenty-ninth October, this regiment, with the other regiments of the brigade, went to Decatur in aid of a foraging party under command of Brigadier-General Geary, and returned the same day without having seen the enemy.

On the fifth day of November, this regiment, in connection with the other regiments of the Twentieth army corps, broke camp, and moved out upon the McDonough road, and encamped for the night. It returned the next day, and reöccupied its old camp.

These movements comprise all the field operations of this regiment during its stay in Atlanta. During this time, attention was paid to perfecting discipline, which was somewhat relaxed by a long and arduous campaign. The men were fully clothed and equipped, convalescents called in from hospitals, the returns of company officers completed and sent in, and every effort made to bring the command to a condition for active service.

The regiment here received eight of their ten months' pay, then due. Forty-three (43) recruits were received here, but so shortly before moving from the city that but little instruction in drill could be imparted. They are, however, a good class of men, and have, in the main, proved themselves good soldiers.

The elective franchise, conferred by an act of the New-York Legislature, at its last session, was here exercised, and, it is believed, with less of partisan heat and undue influence than ordinarily occurs at elections held in communities free from military authority.

Every preparation having been made, in obeTo Captain D. W. Palmer, Assistant Adjutant-dience to orders which had been previously reGeneral, First Brigade First Division Twen-ceived, on the fifteenth Noveinber the regiment, tieth Army Corps:

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this regiment from the occupation of Atlanta by the United States forces to the present time.

Shortly after the occupation of Atlanta by our forces, the Twentieth army corps, having been

together with the other troops composing the Twentieth army corps, moved out of the city on the Decatur road, taking the route via Stone Mountain, Boxbridge, and Social Circle, to Madison, which we entered on the nineteenth November. Thence, taking the Milledgeville road, we passed through Eatonton, and on the twenty

second November passed through Milledgeville, crossed the Oconee, and encamped on the east bank.

On the twenty-third, the regiment destroyed one mile of the railroad leading to the Georgia Central. On the twenty-fourth November, we moved from Milledgeville via Hebron, Sandersville to Tennille, where we encamped the night of twenty-sixth November. Near Sandersville, there was some skirmishing, and the regiment was moved forward on the double-quick, with aid of Colonel Robinson's brigade, but the enemy fled, and the regiment was not engaged.

On the twenty-seventh November, we moved to Davisboro. The twenty-eighth and twenty ninth November, in connection with other troops, we destroyed all the Georgia Railroad from Davisboro to Bostwick, with trifling exceptions. This regiment effectually destroyed three (3) miles of road, tearing up and burning the ties, and twisting the rails.

November the thirtieth, the Ogeechee was crossed without opposition, and we encamped for the night about four miles south of Louisville. Pushing south-easterly, we passed through Springfield on the eighth December. The march was much impeded near this place by the marshy nature of the ground, rendering it very difficult to move the trains of wagons and artillery.

On the ninth day of December, the First brigade, First division, being in advance, at a point near Harrison's plantation, about four (4) miles from the Savannah and Charleston Railroad, and fourteen (14) miles from Savannah, when the road passed through a difficult marsh, the road was found blockaded by felled trees, and a redoubt, with a piece of artillery, planted to command the defile. The regiment, with the rest of the brigade, forced its way through a dense jungle and marshy ground to the left of the road, and as soon as it could be formed on solid ground, the brigade advanced in line upon the enemy's works. Alarmed by our near approach, or that of the cooperating forces, the enemy fled, and we encamped for the night. On the tenth December, we moved upon Savannah, and meeting the enemy, we went into position about four and a half (44) miles from the city, between the Savannah and Augusta pike and the river, a flooded riceswamp and canal in our front, with a narrow belt of timber intervening. With the exception of a slight alteration in position, we remained here until the twenty-first December, subjected at all hours of the day and night to a heavy fire from the enemy's batteries; but, thanks to fortune or their unskilful artillerists, nearly every shell flew harmlessly over our heads. As the day dawned on the twenty-first, it was discovered that the enemy had evacuated the works in our front. The regiment was at once placed under arms, and soon after crossed the swamp, and entered the enemy's works; and later in the day, went into the camp assigned it on the banks of the Savannah River, just outside the city, where it is now resting from its labors.

During this movement, the subsistence stores

have been gathered almost exclusively from the country. Sweet potatoes have supplied the place of bread; and beef and pork, gathered in the country, have supplied the usual army rations of meat. Beside what was consumed at the time, twenty (20) odd beef cattle were turned over by the regiment to the Commissary Subsistence of the brigade, and a number of fine mules and horses to the Brigade Quartermaster. During the ten (10) days before the city, rice was issued instead of bread or potatoes. Ten (10) days' rations of hard bread, and three and a half (34) days of salt meat were the only issues of those rations brought from Atlanta up to the time of entering Savannah.

Fourteen (14) officers and seventy-three (73) men having been detached for various duties in the corps, the regiment left Atlanta on the fif teenth November with eighteen (18) officers and four hundred and forty-seven (447) men, and entered Savannah on the twenty-first December with eighteen (18) officers and four hundred and forty-six (446) men, the only loss during the campaign being one (1) man, Edward Phair, a private of company B, who, straggling from the regiment near Madison, was probably captured by the enemy's cavalry.

The health and physical vigor of the command has not only been preserved, but greatly improved during the campaign, and the troops are now, with the exception of clothing, of which they are in great need, better fitted for active service than when they left Atlanta.

While the highest state of discipline could not be preserved from the peculiar character of the movement, I take pleasure in saying that under circumstances of extraordinary temptation, this command has, in a great measure, been preserved from the vices of straggling and marauding. Both officers and men have always exhibited a cheerful willingness to perform every duty imposed on them, and a large share of that unquestioning confidence in the leader of this army, which is so important an element in the success of military movements.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant, JAMES C. ROGERS, Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding.



NEAR SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 27, 1864.

Lieutenant George Robinson, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, First Division, Twentieth Corps:

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Second brigade, First division, Twentieth corps, left wing, army of Georgia, in the campaign from Atlanta to Savannah.

On the second day of September, 1864, by orders from Brigadier-General Williams, commanding First division, Twentieth corps, a reconnoissance was sent out from our camp near Turner's Ferry, on the Chattahoochee, to Atlanta, under command of Colonel N. M. Crane, One Hundred

« PreviousContinue »