Page images


house, viz., Mr. Schwarltz, John Wise, Captain Golden, Government horse-dealer, and a young man in his employ, all left, taking with them (as they supposed) all the arms and ammunition ; but in their hasty retreat they left behind a revolver, which Miss Schwarltz appropriated to her own use.

She went to the door, and on opening it, presented the pistol to the leader of the gang, telling them to

come on, if they wanted to, and that some of them would fall, or she would.” They threatened to kill her if she did not leave the door. She replied, “ the first one who takes one step toward this door, dies, for this is the home of my parents, and my brothers and sisters; and I am able, and shall defend it." Seeing that she was determined in her purpose, after holding a consultation together, they left.

Here is an instance of true courage, in a young girl of fifteen years of age, who, after all the inmates of the house, even her father, had fled, leaving her alone to her fate, with a courage worthy a Joan of Arc, boldly defended her native home, against three blood-thirsty, cowardly ruffans; and by her coolness and heroic daring, succeeded in turning them from their hellish designs.

It is with feelings of no ordinary pride and pleasure, that the Commanding General announces this fact to the citizens and soldiers in his district. On the other hand, those miserable cowards, who deserted this brave girl in the hour of danger, flying from the house, leaving her to her fate, are unworthy the name of men, deserve the scorn and contempt of the community at large, and their society should be shunned by every one who has the least spark of honor or bravery within him. By order of Brigadier-General BROWN.






[ocr errors]

An unrecorded incident of the midnight fight between IIooker's and Longstreet's forces, in Lookout Valley, on the night of the 30th of October, 1863, is related by C. D. Brigham, correspondent of the New York Tribune, as follows:

“ A short time subsequent to this magnificent charge on the enemy in their breastworks, by General Geary's brigade, General Howard, taking with him a small escort of cavalry, started for that part of the field where General Geary was supposed to be. He had not gone far, when he came up with a body of infantry. “What cavalry is that ?' was the hail. ‘All right,' responded

' General Howard, at the same time calling out, “What men are these?' ‘Longstreet's, was the reply. All right-come here,' said General Howard. The men approached. “Ilave we whipped those fellows?' asked the General, in a manner to keep up the deception. No, d—-n them, they were too much for us, and drove us from our rifle-pits, like devils. We're whipped, ourselves. By this time the Rebels had gathered nearer. 'Lay down your arms!' demanded General H., in a stern voice. The men surrendered.

“Taking his prisoners in charge, General H. proceeded on his way. He had not gone far, before another party of Rebel infantry called out, “What cay. alry is that?' 'All right,' was the response, again, of General Howard, as he proceeded. On approaching the position occupied by Geary, that officer had observed the advancing horsemen, and infantry, as he supposed the prisoners to be, and taking them to be Rebels, he had ordered his guns to be loaded with canister, and in a moment more would have given the intrepid Howard and his little force the benefit of it.

“But the General who had successfully deceived the enemy, found a way to make himself known to his friends, and so escaped a reception of that kind.”



REUBEN STout, Company K, 60th Indiana, convicted of desertion, and the murder of SOLOMON HOFFMAN, on the 14th of March, 1863, at Madison, Carroll County, Indiana, was shot on Friday, October -, 1863.

The exection was on the Bay shore, in front of the prison yard. The Hoffman Battalion was formed in a hollow square, open on the bay side, where the prisoner was seated on his coffin. Colonel Pierson and staff were within the square. The execution party was in command of Lieutenant McElroy, Provost Marshal. The orders and sentence were read by Lieutenant Bailey, Post Adjutant.

Portions of the prisoner's statement, as herewith given, were then read by the Chaplain, it being too lengthy to be read entire. Prayer was offered in English by the Chaplain, and also by Rev. M. Miller, pastor of the German Church in Sandusky, in the German language.

After the services the cap was placed over the eyes of the prisoner, by E. M. Keith, the Hospital Steward, and the command given to fire by the Provost Marshal. The prisoner fell immediately, seven balls taking effect, there being eight of the execution party, one having a blank cartridge. Dr. Woodbridge, Surgeon of the Post, went up and examined the prisoner, and pronounced him dead.

The battalion under the command of Major Scoville, marched past the body, the band playing the dead march. When past the body, they march to the parade ground at a quick step. The remains of the prisoner were decently laid out, and buried in the prison grave-yard on the island.

Stout left a statement, which was published in the Sandusky papers, from which we extract the following:

“I staid with my company and regiment, until November 26th, 1862, when we got a furlough to go home, the regiment having been captured at Crane River, Kentucky, and paroled as prisoners of war. We were sent to Indianapolis to be exchanged and draw arms again. All the men of the regiment got furloughs for a few days to go home to their friends.

“I went home and staid out my time, and, then started to go to my regiment. I went as far as Lafayette, my wife and her sister going as far as Dayton, Indiana. I took sick at Lafayette, and stayed there about five days. My father-in-law then took me home to his house to stay till I got well.

“After I had been there about two weeks, I was advised by various persons not to go back to the army. They said this was only an 'Abolition war,' and advised me to stay at home, and they would protect me. I was induced to go to a meeting of the so-called 'Knights of the Golden Circle,' and was made a member of that organization.

“The obligation of the order bound us to do all we could against the war-to resist a draft, if one should be made, and likewise to resist and oppose all confiscation, or emancipation measures, in every possible way. We were sworn to stand by each other in all measures of resistance. We were pledged to do all we could to prevent another man or dollar going from the State for the further prosecution of the war. I met with this secret meeting several times, and entered into their views and plans.

“I was led by the evil counsels of this traitorous organization, to stay away from my post of duty in the army, for which I am truly sorry. I am sorry that I ever lifted my hand against the life of my fellow-man. I would affectionately, and earnestly urge all in the service of their country, not to do as I have done; but to be faithful to their obligations as soldiers, avoiding all disloyal counsels and obligations.”



THE battle of Chattanooga was fought and won without the aid of cavalry on our side; the ridge being so steep as to render their use in front impracticable. But the indefatigable Grant did not allow the cavalry to remain idle.

« PreviousContinue »