Page images

to the railroad, with his usual energy and promptness, arranged an expedition to destroy it.

He sent a request to General Grant to make a diversion from the south to aid the enterprise. The expedition started from Lagrange, Tennessee, on the 13th of August, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Phillips, of the 9th Illinois Mounted Infantry, and reached Grenada, on the Mississippi Central Railroad, on the 17th.

After driving General Skinner, with two thousand men, and three pieces of artillery, from the place, they destroyed fifty-seven locomotives, upward of four hundred cars, depot buildings, machine shops, blacksmith shops, and a large quantity of ordnance and commissary stores, beside capturing about fifty railroad men, and a number of other prisoners.

After Colonel Phillips had thoroughly accomplished his work, Colonel Winslow, from Grant's army, arrived with a force from below. Colonel Phillips's expedition returned in safety to Lagrange, on the 23d of August.

Lieutenant-Colonel Phillips and his gallant command were certainly entitled to much commendation, for patiently enduring the hardships of such a march, through Central Mississippi, in the middle of August, and so thoroughly crippling the remaining energy of the Rebellion in the Southwest.


JOSEPH HOOKER, of California, was twenty-ninth in a class of fifty members, graduating in 1837. Breveted for gallantry at the battles of Monterey, of the National Bridge, and of Chapultepec. In fighting the Rebels, his heroism has been too conspicuous to need any comment.



A spruce enrolling officer

Of Salisbury, one day,
On visiting a country house

Found all the males away.

So when the good old lady,

Who answered to his call, Had given their names and ages,

He asked if that was all.

“O yes,” replied the lady,

“I have no more to say, For sure we have none other,

Excepting Billy Bray."

The officer was zealous

That no one should escape, Lest others should grow jealous,

And get him in a scrape.

“ Ay, ay,” said he, “good woman,

And where is Billy Bray ?” Quoth she “he's in the barrack,

A working at his hay.”

Then briskly to the barrack

The officer he ran,
And looked about for Billy,

But couldn't find his man.

Then to the house he hastened,

And asked the worthy dame, And got the age of Billy Bray,

And straight enrolled his name.

[blocks in formation]

“On the 26th of May, 1863, it was determined to: make an attack

upon the rebel batteries to the north of Vicksburg, and opposite General Steele's column. The gunboat Cincinnati, Lieutenant Bache, was to co-operate and attempt to silence the water-batteries, previous to the assault from the land side. Accordingly, a little after eight, A. M., she commenced dropping down below Young's Point. When about two miles from Vicksburg, the famous gun, 'Whistling Dick,' in position just north of the town, opened upon

her. “At first the aim was too high, and the balls passed

[ocr errors]

over without doing any damage, but as the boat neared the batteries, it became more accurate, as the sound of the passing balls, growing sharper at every shot, plainly indicated.

In order to attack the upper batteries it was necessary to drop below them, and round-to, with the head • up stream. This position was a most unfortunate one, as it exposed the vessel to a raking fire, from one battery in front, and another from behind.

“The first shot which struck her, hit the iron plating, and did no material damage. But the captain had given orders to push up to within three hundred yards, and by the time she had reached that proximity, the shot hit her with fearful accuracy, generally passing directly through her port-holes.

"One battery, which fired from an elevation and at some distance, threw plunging shot, which went through her upper deck, and did great damage. Lieutenant Sokalski, of General Steele's staff, who had been sent to point out the position, to be taken in the assault, says that when Lieutenant Bache and two others beside himself were standing in the pilot-house, one of these plunging balls entered the port-hole of the pilot-house, passed through the thigh of the pilot, and then sheered down through the floor on to the gun-deck, at the same time breaking the wheel, and wounding another man through the hand and arm, with the splinters. Lifting the hatchway and rushing down the gun-deck, Lieutenant Sokalski found it filled with mangled and dead. It was a slaughter-pen. Blood and fragments of bodies, shot away, were scattered over the floor.

"It was discovered that one ball had passed through the boat below the water line, and that the boat was sinking. It was evident that to continue the fight longer would be to throw away the lives of the crew, and orders were given to start up the river as fast as possible. Lieutenant Starr, who, I was told, was second in command, went to the pilot-house and directed movements as best he could with a broken wheel and sinking craft. In the meantime she was riddled by shot after shot, and was fast sinking. For three-quarters of an hour she was toiling, crippled, up stream; while the enemy, seeing her condition, redoubled the fury of the cannonading. More than fifty shot struck her before she reached the shore. But Lieutenant Bache refused to allow the colors to be lowered, and she sunk like the Cumberland, with the Stars and Stripes still waving.”


WILLIAM T. SHERMAN, of Ohio, was sixth in the West Point class, of 1810, which numbered 42. He was sent with his company to California during the Mexican war, via Cape Horn, reaching there after the fighting was over, and thus saw no battle before that of Bull's Run, where he was distinguished.

He was Superintendent of the Louisiana State Military Institute when the Rebellion broke out; but eminently loyal as he was, he could not forbear to resign that position, and hasten to the service of his country, under the battle-flag of freedom. His heroism and generalship since then, are too well known to require special notice.

« PreviousContinue »