Page images

Arrive at Philadelphia, Saturday, April 22, 4:30 P. M.
Leave Philadelphia, Monday, April 24, 4 A. M.
Arrive at New York, Monday, April 24, 10 A. M,
Leave New York, Tuesday, April 25, 4 P. M.
Arrive at Albany, Tuesday, April 25, 11 P. M.
Leave Albany, Wednesday, April 26, 4 P. M.
Arrive at Buffalo, Thursday, April 27, 7 A. M.
Leave Buffalo, Thursday, April 27, 10:10 A. M.
Arrive at Cleveland, Friday, April 28, 7 A. M.
Leave Cleveland, Friday, April 28, midnight.
Arrive at Columbus, Saturday, April 29, 7.30 A. M.
Leave Columbus, Saturday, April 29, 8 P. M.
Arrive at Indianapolis, Sunday, April 30, 7 A. M.
Leave Indianapolis, Sunday, April 30, midnight.
Arrive at Chicago, Monday, May 1, 11 A. M.
Leave Chicago, Tuesday, May 2, 9.30 P. M.
Arrive at Springfield, Monday, May 3, 8 A. M.

At various points on the route where the remains were to be taken from the hearse-car by State or municipal authorities, to receive public honors, according to the aforesaid programme, the authorities were to make such arrangements as might be fitting and appropriate to the occasion, under the direction of the military commander of the division, department, or district; but the remains continued always under the special charge of the officers and escort assigned by the War Department.

The route from Columbus to Indianapolis was via the Columbus and Indianapolis Central Railway, and from Indianapolis to Chicago, via Lafayette and Michigan city. In order to guard against accident, the train did not move faster than twenty miles an hour.

Accompanying the remains were a distinguished party of friends and mourners : Judge David Davis, Judge United States Supreme Court; N. W. Edwards ; General J. B S. Todd; Charles Alexander Smith. Guard of Honor-namely: General E. D. Townsend ; BrigadierGeneral Charles Thomas; Brigadier-General A. D. Eaton ; Brevet-Major-General J. G. Barnard ; Brigadier-General G. D. Ramsay; Brigadier-General A. P. Howe; Brigadier-General D. C. McCallum; Major-General David Hunter ; Brigadier-General J. C. Caldweli; Rear-Admiral C. H. Davis, United States Navy; Captain William R. Taylor, United States Navy; Major T. Y. Field, United States Marine Corps. (The foregoing constituted a guard of honor.) Dr. Charles B. Brown, embalmer; Frank T. Sands, undertaker; and on the part of the Senate and House of Representatives : Maine, Mr. Pike; New Hampshire, Mr. Rollins; Vermont, Mr. Baxter; Massachusetts. Mr. Hooper; Connecticut, Mr. Dixon ; Rhode Island, Mr. Anthony; New York, Mr. Harris; Pennsylvania, Mr. Cowan; Ohio, Mr. Schenck; Kentucky, Mr. Smith, Indiana, Mr. Julian ; Minnesota, Mr. Ramsay; Michigan, Mr. T. W. Ferry; Iowa, Mr. Harlan ; Illinois, Mr. Yates, Mr. Washburne, Mr. Farnsworth, and Mr. Arnold ; California, Mr. Shannon ; Oregon, Mr. Williams; Kansas, Mr. Clarke; Western Virginia, Mr. Whaley; Nevada, Mr. Nye; Nebraska, Mr. Hitchcock; Colorado, Mr. Bradford ; Idaho, Mr. Wallace; New Jersey, Mr. Newell; Maryland, Mr. Phelps; George T. Brown, Sergeant-atarms of the Senate; and N. G. Ord way, Sergeant-at-arms House of Representatives.

The delegates from Illinois were : Governor Richard J. Oglesby; General Isham N. Haynie, Adjutant-General State of Illinois; Colonel James H. Bowen, A. D. C.; Colonel M. H. Hanna, A. I C.; Colonel D. B. James, A. D. C. ; Maj. S. Waite, A. D. C. ; Col. D. L. Phillips, United States Marshal Southern District of Illinois, A. D. C.; Hon. Jesse K. Dubois; Hon. J. T. Stuart; Col. John Williams; Dr. S. H. Melvin; Hon. S. M. Cullum; General John A. McClernand; Hon. Lyman Trumbull; Hon. J. S. V. Reddenburg; Hon. Thomas J. Dennis; Lieutenant-Governor William Bross; Hon. Francis E. Sherman, Mayor of Cbicago; Hon. Thomas A. Haine; Hon. John Wentworth ; Hon. S. S. Hays; Colonel R. M. Hough ; Hon. S. W. Fuller; Capt. J. B. Turner; Hon. I. Lawson ; Hon. C. L. Woodman; Hon. G. W Gage


G. H. Roberts, Esq; Hon. J. Commisky; Hon. T. L. Talcott; Governor Morton, of Indiana; Gov. Brough, of Obio; Gov. Stone, of Iowa, together with their aids and reporters for the press.

ALONG THE ROUTE. As the train moved on to Baltimore, thousands of Marylanders assembled by the way-side to catch a glimpse of the car which contained the corpse of the deceased President.

ARRIVAL AT BALTIMORE. When the Monumental city was reached, an immense throng crowded the streets, anxious to do bomage to all that remained of their noble chief. The arrival was heralded by a salvo of artillery, and the large funeral procession which, at a short notice, had been prepared to escort the deceased and retinue througb the city, formed in column, and the line of march was taken up. Succeeding the military was the civic procession, beaded oy Governor Bradford. All the associations of Baltimore turned out in full numbers, and the rear was brought up by an immense throng of colored people, all wearing badges of mourning.

The cortege moved to the Post-office Building, where the remains were placed in state, and an opportunity was given the citizens to see the corpse. At 3 o'clock P. M. the coffin was removed to the depot, and the train departed for Harrisburg, amid the firing of minute guns and the sorrows of a people who felt that the Republic bad indeed lost its best friend.

Governor Curtin and staff met the train on the borders of Pennsylvania, and accompanied it to Harrisburg. At York, Pa, six ladies, dressed in deep black, were kindly permitted by General McCallum to enter the funeral car and place upon the coffin a beautiful wreath of white roses, camelias, and other rare flowers. Silently they performed their last tribute to the illustrious patriot, and when they retired from the car there were no dry eyes among the military chieftains who stood guard over the bier.

ARRIVAL AT HARRISBURG. Although the train arrived at the Capital of Pennsylvania during a fearful storm of thunder, lightning, and rain, the peopie were gathered on the streets and lined the way to the Capitol building, where the body was conveyed and placed in state until the next day, April 22d, at 12 o'clock, when it was taken to the depot, and, amid the tears and lamentations of the whole city an:I surrounding country, placed on the cars for Philadelphia. Along the entire route, thousands of people assembled to see the train pass by, all business in the towns and on the farms having been suspended.

ARRIVAL AT PHILADELPHIA. At half-past four the same afternoon, the train reached the Baltimore depot at Broad and Washington. Hours before, tens of thousands of men, women and children had crowded all the streets leading to this great avenue.

The Procession was formed, and moved over the designated route to Independence Hall, the coffin being carried through the square from the Walnut street entrance, the grounds being illuminated with calcium lights, red, white and blue colors, and the members of the Union League standing on each side of the main avenue, dressed in deep black, and white gloves, with a splendid band performing funeral dirges. The coffin was taken into Independence Hall and placed on an oblong platform in the centre of the hall, covered with black cloth, and lay directly north and south, the head towards the soutlı, and directly opposite “Old Independence Bell.” The lid of the coffin was removed far enough to expose to view the face and breast of the deceased. An American flag, the one used to cover the coffin during the funeral procession, was thrown back at the foot of the coffin, and a number of wreaths of exotics laid upon it. A magnificent floral device, composed of a large wreath of brilliant-colored flowers, and containing a beautiful American shield in the centre, also conposed of choice flowers, occupied a prominent position on the lid of the coffin.

At the head of the coffin was suspended a highly wrought cross, composed of japonicas, with a centre consisting of jet black exotics. The device contained the following inscription :

To the memory of our beloved President, from a few ladies of the United States Sanitary Commission.”

On the "Old Independence Bell," and near the head of the coffin, rested a large and beautifully made floral anchor, composed of the choicest exotics. This beautiful offering came from the ladies of St. Clement's church. Four stands, two at the head and two at the foot of the coffin, were draped in black cloth, and contained rich candelabras with lighted wax candles. Directly to the rear of these were placed three additional stands, also containing candelabras with burning tapers; and again, another row of four stands, containing candelabras also, brought up the rear, making in all eighteen candelabras and one hundred and eight burning wax tapers. Between this flood of light, shelving were erected, on which were placed rare vases filled with japonicas, heliotropes, and other rare flowers. These vases were about twenty-five in number. A most Celicious perfume stole through every part of the hall, which, added to the soft yet brilliant light of the wax tapers, the elegant uniforms of the officers on duty, etc., constituted a scene of oriental magnificence but seldom witnessed.

The Hall at large was completelv shrouded with black

« PreviousContinue »