Page images

"Resolved, that we call upon every adopted citizen of Irish birth to stand true to the country which has become the home of so many millions of our race and of the oppressed of the Old World, and not permit the liberties for which Washington fought and Montgomery died to be trampled under foot by the slave oligarchy of the South."

"What constitutional rights," continued Mr. Treanor, "of the Southern States have been in the slightest degree infringed upon? Have we come to that state that the ballot-box shall be no longer the exponent of the people's will, or are we in that condition that the election of a new President must inevitably inaugurate a bloody civil war? Secession interests have been cherished and nurtured at the South ever since Andrew Jackson squelched it in '33. The very rifled cannon that helped to batter down the walls of Sumter were sent to South Carolina by the traitors in the public service. Whatever soreness may have been felt by the adopted citizens at some of the past legislation of this State, they will be found ready, in the time of trial, to sacrifice every interest upon the altar of the country's cause, and as true to the national flag as those who rallied round it in the Revolution and the war of 1812.

"No supporters of a slave oligarchy would be encountered among the Irish race, who had experienced too keenly the discomforts of an arrogant government at home to desire a continuance of the same in the New World. The flag of the Confederate States shall never wave over Faneuil Hall, till every adopted citizen of Massachusetts bites the dust." (Great applause.)

Dr. Walsh made a speech to the same effect, and was followed by Dennis W. O'Brien, who apologized for a short speech on the score of indisposition, the subject being one in which he was deeply interested, and advised every man to do his best to support the Union, the Constitution and the laws.

Mr. T. M. Brown said the words they had heard should make music in the heart of every man born in the Emerald Isle. The place of every Irishman to-day is in the front. (A voice-"An' they niver was found in the rear! Three rousing cheers were given for the author

of this impromptu.)

The countrymen of Daniel O'Connell, of Davis, and others of the innumerable patriots of the land, are bound, by all that is holy, to stand by the glorious flag that has ever been true to them. The spirit which fought and won, and compelled a treaty on the old stone of Limerick, which nerved and fired the blood of O'Connell,-ay, the spirit of liberty is alive to-day, and the American flag shall never trail in the dust while Irishmen live to defend it.

Remarks were also made by James Sullivan, Edward Ray and others, and the resolutions were unanimously adopted. The meeting adjourned with cheers for the Union and the stars and stripes.

The banks of Boston offered to the State government a loan of ten per cent. upon their capital, which would give the State treasury the sum of nearly four millions of dollars. The banks of Worcester also offered the State a loan of three hundred thousand; the Randolph Bank, twenty-five thousand; Columbian Bank, fifty thousand; Revere Bank, fifty thousand; Mount Wollaston Bank, twenty-five thousand; and many other banks throughout the State of proportionate sums. The banks in all the free States tendered heavy loans to the State governments, for the purpose of arming and equipping the troops.

Early on the morning of the seventeenth, the streets of Boston were filled with excited crowds discussing the war news, and awaiting the appearance of the military companies. The most intense enthusiasm was manifested when the Sixth Regiment marched out of the armory of the Second Battalion, at Boylston Hall, and their route to the

State House was lined with people. The ladies were out in great numbers, and white handkerchiefs fluttered in the breeze from every point. The State House was the centre of attraction, and a large police force was necessary to keep back the crowd in front and rear. The Sixth Regiment arrived about half past ten o'clock at the State House, and reported for duty. The Washington Guards, Capt. Sampson, also arrived at eleven o'clock, with sixty-eight men, and were attached to the Sixth Regiment.

Previous to the departure of the Sixth Regiment from Boylston Hall, Major B. F. Watson, of Lawrence, addressed the soldiers as follows:

"Fellow-Soldiers: I have been selected, at a meeting of the commissioned officers of this regiment, to bring to your notice a matter which I am sure will be gratifying to you all. You know of a custom adopted by a New York regiment, and which has prevailed elsewhere, and I know you will be pleased to adopt it. At a meeting of the commissioned officers the subject was mooted, and it was generally agreed that this regimental organization would not be full unless we had a daughter, at this time, when we all have such tender feelings. It was then unanimously agreed, that out of respect and regard for that colonel whom we all esteem so highly, his own daughter, and his only daughter, should be selected. (Loud cheers.) I ask you, fellow-soldiers, to give three cheers for your daughter, Lizzie Clauson Jones."

The men gave three cheers, and the major led the "daughter of the regiment" up and down the line to introduce her, a pretty little miss, about ten years of age.

Orders were issued on the night of the 16th to the Stoneham Light Infantry to march at once to this city, and report for duty to Col. Jones, of the Sixth Regiment. They arrived about twelve o'clock, under command of

Capt. J. H. Dyke, with seventy-five men, a portion of whom were without guns. The Worcester Light Infantry, Capt. Pratt, which had also been ordered to report to Col. Jones, arrived at one o'clock, with seventy-nine men, a portion of them being without uniforms. All of the companies under Col. Jones changed their old guns for the new rifle muskets, which were sent from the Cambridge Arsenal. They were also furnished with overcoats, knapsacks, blankets, blue woollen drawers, and undershirts and woollen socks. This occupied considerable time, a large number having no military equipments at all.

A new company, raised by Mr. J. P. Richardson, of Cambridge, which was to have joined the Fifth Regiment as Company C, was ordered out, and attached to Colonel Jones' (6th) regiment. They had not been organized, but they promptly answered the call, and a little past ten o'clock sixty of them marched to the State House (Boston) in citizens' dress, without arms, and bearing the American flag. An election of officers was held forthwith. Jan P. Richardson was chosen captain. They were furnished with equipments, and soon ready for duty.

At three and a half o'clock the regiment, which had been enlarged by the addition of the Washington Guards of Boston, the Worcester Light Infantry, and the Stoneham Light Infantry, making over six hundred men in all, was drawn up in line in Beacon Street, fronting the State House. Col. Jones, with a color-guard, was ordered upon the steps, when Governor Andrew, accompanied by Brigadier-General Butler, Adjutant-General Schouler, the aids of the Governor, and other military men, marched out to meet him. Col. Sargent, senior aid to the Governor, bore the regimental flag.

The Governor said that, as the official representative of the old Commonwealth, he came to bid farewell to this glorious command, previous to their departure on their

patriotic mission. They had been summoned, at their country's call, from the quiet associations of business and home, to a solemn and ultimately victorious war. They were called to fight in behalf of the country, its dignity and purity; in behalf of the flag which had swept the seas in triumph, conveying right and honor all over the world. They were to repair to Washington, which had been built under the direction of "the Father of his country." They had been summoned suddenly; the State government had done all in its power to provide for the necessities of the occasion, and they would bear with them its benefactions and prayers. Those behind cherished them in their heart of hearts, following them with their best wishes, and feeling confident that they would not return until they had done the utmost that patriotic men could do. Here he took the flag, and, after waving it to and fro, amid the applause of the assembled multitude, handed it to Col. Jones.

Col. Jones took the flag, and, saying that he considered it the emblem of everything valuable upon earth, and that it would be so prized by his command, declared that, so help him God, he would never disgrace it.

The regiment then marched to the armory of the Second Battalion, and the men were allowed an hour and a half for rest and supper. At half-past six o'clock they proceeded to the Worcester depot, and took the cars for New York about eight o'clock. An immense crowd surrounded the depot, and cheered the soldiers with great enthusiasm. The following is a list of the officers of this regiment: Colonel, Edward F. Jones, of Lowell; Lieutenant-Colonel, Walter Shattuck, of Groton; Major, Benjamin F. Watson, of Lawrence; Adjutant, Alpha B. Farr, of Lowell; Quartermaster, James Monroe, of Cambridge; Paymaster, Rufus L. Plaisted, of Lowell; Surgeon, Norman Smith, of Groton; Chaplain, Charles Babbidge, of Pepperell.

The Davis Guards, of Acton, attached to the Sixth

« PreviousContinue »