Page images

have to acknowledge my obligations for the valuable and efficient aid which he rendered.

Early on the morning of the 21st, the command left its encampment and moved in the direction of Beverly's Ford, on the Rappahannock, General Taliaferro's command in the lead. On approaching the ford, the enemy was seen on the opposite bank. Batteries of that division, under the direction of Major Shumaker, chief of artillery, were placed in position, which, after a short resistance (as reported by General Taliaferro), silenced the enemy's guns, and dispersed his infantry. MajorGeneral Stuart had crossed with a portion of his cavalry, supported by some pieces of artillery, and, after skirmishing with the enemy a few hours, taking some prisoners and arms, returned with the information that the Federal forces were moving in strength upon his position, and were close at hand. The enemy soon appeared on the opposite bank, and an animated firing was opened, and, to a considerable extent, kept up across the river for the rest of the day, between the Federal artillery and the batteries of Taliaferro's command.

On the following morning (22d), the three divisions continued their march up the bank of the Rappahannock, General Ewell in the advance, and crossed Hazel River, one of its tributaries, at Wellford's Mill, near which General Trimble was left with his brigade to protect the flank of our wagontrain from the enemy, who was moving up the north side of the Rappahannock, simultaneously with the advance of our troops on the south side.

About twelve M., a small party surprised part of the train, and captured some ambulances and mules, which were, however, soon recovered, and some prisoners taken, who gave information that a more considerable Federal force had crossed the river.

About four P. M., General Trimble, supported by General Hood (who was the advance of Longstreet's command), had a sharp engagement with this force, in which, after gallantly charging and taking a number of prisoners, they drove the residue, with severe loss, across the river, under the protection of the guns of the main body of the Federal army, on the opposite side. In the mean time the command passed Freeman's Ford, which it found strongly guarded, and moved on

to a point opposite the Fauquier White Sulphur Springs, where we found the bridge destroyed, and other evidence that the enemy was in close proximity.

In the afternoon of the 22d, the Thirteenth Georgia, Colonel Douglas, Brown's and Dement's batteries of four guns each, and Early's brigade, crossing over, took possession of the springs and adjacent heights, and taking some prisoners, and incurring some risk from the rain and sudden rise of the water, which for a few hours cut off communication with the main body. In this critical situation, the skill and presence of mind of General Early was favorably displayed. It was deemed advisable not to attempt a passage at that point, but to proceed higher up the river.

By dawn, on the morning of the 24th, General Early, by means of a temporary bridge, which had been constructed for his relief, had his troops and artillery safe on the southern side.

On the 24th, there was a fierce cannonade between General Hill's artillery and that of the enemy across the river. In the mean time, General Stuart, who had preceded me, crossed the Rappahannock, striking the enemy in his rear, making his brilliant night attack upon his camp at Catlett's Station, capturing many prisoners, personal baggage of General Pope, and his dispatch-book, containing information of value to us in this expedition. In the evening we moved near Jeffersonton. Pursuing the instructions of the commanding general, I left Jeffersonton on the morning of the 25th, to throw my command between Washington City and the army of General Pope, and to break up his railroad communication with the Federal capital. Taking the route by Amissville, crossing Hedgeman River, one of the tributaries of the Rappahannock, at Henson's Mill, and moving via Orlean, we reached the vicinity of Salem, after a severe day's march, and bivouacked there for the night.

On the next day (26th), the march was continued, diverging to the right at Salem, crossing the Bull Run mountain through' Thoroughfare Gap, and, passing Gainesville, we reached Bristoe Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad after


At Gainesville I was joined by General Stuart, who, after

[ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small]
[graphic][ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

leaving the vicinity of Waterloo Bridge, about two o'clock A. M., had, by a rapid march, come up in time to render all useful assistance. He kept upon my right flank during the residue of the day. My command was now in rear of General Pope's army, separating it from the Federal capital and its base of supply. As we approached Bristoe Station, the sound of cars coming from the direction of Warrenton Junction was heard, and General Ewell divided his force so as to take simultaneous possession of the two points of the railroad. Colonel Munford, with the Second Virginia Cavalry, co-operated in this movement. Two trains of cars and some prisoners were captured, the largest portion of the small Federal force at that point making its escape. Learning that the enemy had collected at Manassas Junction, a station about seven miles distant, stores of great value, I deemed it important that no time should be lost in securing them. Notwithstanding the darkness of the night, and the fatiguing march which would, since dawn, be over thirty miles, before reaching the junction, Brigadier-General Trimble volunteered to proceed there forthwith, with the Twenty-first North Carolina (Lieutenant-Colonel Fulton commanding), and the Twenty-first Georgia (Major Glover commanding), in all, about five hundred men, and capture the place. I accepted the gallant offer, and gave him orders to move without delay. In order to increase the prospect of success, Major-General Stuart, with a portion of his cavalry, was subsequently directed to move forward, and, as the ranking officer, to take command of the expedition. The duty was cheerfully undertaken by all who were assigned to it, and most promptly and successfully executed. Notwithstanding the Federal fire of musketry and artillery, our infantry dispersed the troops placed there for the defence of the place, and captured eight guns, with seventy-two horses, equipments, and ammunition complete, immense supplies of commissary and quartermaster stores, upwards of two hundred new tents; and General Trimble also reports the capture of over three hundred prisoners, and one hundred and seventy-five horses, exclusive of those belonging to the artillery, besides recovering over two hundred negroes. The next morning, the divisions under command of Generals Hill and Taliaferro, moved to Manassas Junction, the division of General Ewell remaining

« PreviousContinue »