Page images

applied to the Salem Light Infantry, Captain Devereux, whilst attached to the 8th Regiment. The Zouaves in the 22d Regiment are in no way connected with the Salem Light Infantry, and are a distinct organization.

The Salem Light Infantry were ordered to join the 8th Regiment, and received their notice at 10 o'clock on the evening of April 17. The next morning at 8 o'clock the roll was called, and before they left, speeches were made by the mayor and others, assuring them that though a sadness might oppress them by their departure, yet they felt a pride to witness so many ready to respond at a few hours' notice.

At the depot thousands assembled to bid them a farewell, and the scene there gave evidence that the corps was held in high esteem. They arrived in Boston at 10 1-2 o'clock on the morning of April 18, escorted by a detachment of a corps of the Salem Cadets. During the forenoon they visited the State House, and went through their drill in the Doric Hall in the presence of a large number of spectators, who were delighted with the precision of their movements. The company left with the regiment that evening, and was the first company that went up the Potomac River after the rebellion broke out. They were detailed to go aboard the Constitution at Annapolis, and went in her to New York City, from there to Fortress Monroe, thence up the Potomac, again to Washington, where they rejoined the regiment. This company being proficient in Hardee's tactics, having practised them for several years, a number of its best soldiers were detailed to drill the other companies of the regiment, and afterward of other regiments, in that manual of arms; it having been decided at headquarters to adopt these tactics.

August 1, 1861. The regimmt returned to Massachusetts, and the companies were mustered out of service, Company J returning to Salem that afternoon. They were received by the old members of the company under the command of Captain E. S. Peabody, and a hearty welcome tendered them. Subsequently a grand civic and military demonstration was made in honor of their return, which was of a most flattering character, the details of which would be interesting, but would occupy too much space ; suffice it to say, processions, music, salutes, addresses, cheers, decorations, feasting, dancing, and other festivities were only a part.

There are now in the army (for three years' service) one brigadier general, five lieutenantcolonels, one major, six captains, sixteen 1st lieutenants, six 2d lieutenants, twenty-one sergeants, and ten corporals, who have been formerly members of this company.


Captain, * ARTHUR F. DEVEREUX, Salem. 1st Lieut., *GEORGE F. AUSTIN, Salem ; 2d Lieut., *ETHAN A. P. BREWSTER, Salem ; 3d

Lieut., GEORGE D. PUTXAM, Salem. Sergeants, Charles U. Devereux, Salem; *George W. Batchelder, Salem ; *George C.

Gray, Salem ; *Charles S. Emmerton, Salem. Corporals, * Alvan A. Evans, Salem ; Charles F. Williams, Jr., Salem ; *John P. Reynolds,

Jr., Salem.

Archer George N., Salem
Batchelder Charles J., Salem
Brooks Joseph H., Salern
Brown Albert W. Salem
Browne Elbridge K., Salem
*Bruce Daniel, jr., Beverly
Carlton John W., Salem
*Chapple Wm. F., Salem
Clafiin Win. II., Salem
*Cobb Leonard D., South Danvers
Crowninshield Edward O., Marble-

Dalrymple Simon 0. 2d, Salem
*Dearborn Chas, A., jr., Salem

Derby Putman T., jr., Salem *Devereux John F., Salem Dimon Charles A. R., Salem *Douglass Albert C., Salem *Driver Wm. R., Beverly Field Joseph W., Topstield •Fowler Wm. T., Salem *Hale Henry A., Salem

Hall Edward A., Salem
Hall Harry S., Boston
Hitchings Abijah F., Salem
Hill Wm. A., Salem
*Hodges John, jr., Salem
Howard Frank C., Salem
*Lake David G., South Danvers
*Lakeman John R., Salem

Lewis Albert H., Malden
Luscomb Charles P., Salem
Luscomb George W., Salem
Mansfield Charles II., Salem
*Moody Convers, Salem
Nichols James W., Salem
*Osgood Edward T., Salem
*Palmer Wm. L., Salem
Perkins Joseph A., Salem
*Plummer Frank, Salem
Pratt Edwin F., Salem
Reeves Robert W., Salem
•Ross J. Perrin, Salem
*Ross Wm. H., Salem

*Shaw Cyrus P., Salem
*Shackley Moses, South Danvers
Smith Albert P., Salem
*Smith Frederick W., Salem
*Smith Samuel H., Salem
Stevens Edward P., Salem, dis-

charged on account of disability,

July 21st
Stevens George O., Salem
*Stimpson Edward S., Salem
Swasey Wm. R., Salem
*Sweetland Alonzo, Salem
*Symonds George B., So. Danvers
Symonds Henry, South Danvers
•Thorndike Albert, Beverly
Tyler Alfred, Salem, discharged

April 20th, on account of sickness
Upton Wm. B., Salem
Ward J. Langdon, Salem
Wiley Sullivan J., South Danvers
• Wiley Wm. F., South Danvers
Whittredge Charles E., Salem

Company K (Allen Guards), Pittsfield.-8th Reg. Organized 1860. Within twenty-four hours after receiving notice, this company were on their way to Washington via Springfield.

A strong interest for them and the cause was manifested. A public meeting was called, a committee raised to provide for the comfort and support of the families of the soldiers during their absence, and some seven hundred dollars were contributed. On leaving, each soldier was presented with ten dollars in cash.

On their return to Pittsfield, in August, a public reception was given them, and speeches were made by Ex-Governor Briggs and Hon. Thomas Allen. Mr. Allen also presented a banner, and a company of Zouaves performed escort duty.

OFFICERS. Captain, HENRY S. BRIGGS, Pittsfield, transferred to command of 10th Regiment,

June 12. 1st Licut., *HENRY H. RICHARDSON, Pittsfield, acting captain, June 7; commissioned, June

15; 2d Lieut., ROBERT BACHE, Pittsfield, commissioned 1st lieutenant, June 15. Sergeants, Alonzo E. Goodrich, Pittsfield, commissioned 2d lieutenant, June 15; Daniel J.

Dodge, Pittsfield, appointed 1st sergeant, June 15; Samuel M. Wardwell, Pittsfield,

discharged for disability, June 6; Israel C. Weller, Pittsfield. Corporals, Frederick Smith, Pittsfield, reduced to rank, June 1; Cornelius Burley, Pitts

field; Charles R. Strong, Pittsfield, appointed sergeant, June 1; Albert Howe, Pittsfield.

Musician, Edwin Merry, Pittsfield.

• Re-enlisted.

Atwood Andrew J., Pittsfield
•Bassett Almon F., Pittsfield
*Bently C. P., Pittsfield
•Barnard Wm. E., Pittsfield
Blinn George, Vittsfield
Burbank George W., Pittsfield
Bonney Nicholas, Pittsfield
Bonney Harvey H., Pittsfield
Butler Lafayette, Pittsfield
*Booth Dexter F., Pittsfield
•Blood Clark D., Lee
•Birge Richard A., Gt. Barrington
•Clark William H., Pittsfield
Clark Charles B., Adams
•Costello William, Pittsfield
•Davis Charles H., Pittsfield
Dowd John, Adarns
Dodge Emerson J., Pittsfield
Fuller Andrew J., Pittsfield
Goggin James, Pittsfield
Garrett Wm. H. H., Pittsfield
Guelis Robert, West Troy, dis-

charged for disability, July 18 Hemin

way Albert, Pittsfield

Heminway Francis, Pittsfield, re-

fused to take the oath, and was

sent home
Heminway Harrison, Pittsfield
Heminway E. O., Pittsfield
Hopkins Chester W., Pittsfield
Hill Simon, Adams
*Harrington Wm. F., Pittsfield
Hughes Daniel, Pittsfield
Jordan Dwight, 'Pittsfield
Joice Thomas, Pittsfield
Lloyd Frank, Pittsfield
Lee John M., Pittsfield
McKennagh James, Pittsfield
McKennagh William, Pittsfield
MeIntosh Hobert H., Pittsfield
Marks Constant R., Pittsfield
Montgomery Wm. H. H., Adams
Melany Anthony, Pittsfield
Mitchell Wells B., Adams
*Montrill Mitchell, Jr., Pittsfield

*Nichols Abram J., Pittsfield
| Oakley Gilbert, Hillsdale, N. Y.

*Powers Richard, Pittsfield
•Rouse James D., Pittsfield
*Rockwell Wm. W., Pittsfield
Reed George, Pittsfield
Read William D., Pittsfield
*Sampson Orange S., Huntington
*Sedgewick Irving M., Pittsfield
Skinner Frederick A., Pittsfield
Taylor Charles H., Pittsfield
Van Loan Lyman w., Pittsfield
Vedder Jacob, Pittsfield
Volk Abraham, Pittsfield
Wark John, Pittsfield, appointed

corporal, July 1
Whipple Albert H., Pittsfield
*Whipple Samuel P., Cheshire
Wheeler Richard, Lee
*Wood Thaddeus, Pittsfield
*Woodworth Chas. L., Richmond
*Whittlesey Elihu B., Pittsfield
Wright Theodore S., Pittsfield, dis-

charged for disability, July 18 •Young Hiram, Tyringham

Third Battalion of Rifles.

(Three Months' Volunteers.)

The following facts, in regard to the movements of this battalion, have been kindly furnished by N. S. Liscomb, Sergeant-Major:

Orders were issued to the companies of this battalion to report to Major Devens on the afternoon of April 20, 1861, at Worcester. At 5 o'clock, P. M., battalion line was formed in front of the City Hall, and from thence, under escort of the 'Highland Cadets and the “Old Guard," they marched to the Mechanics' Hall, where they were received by Mayor Davis, who made an address appropriate to the occasion; after which, prayer was offered by the Rev. Dr. Hill. Major Devens addressed the battalion, and the exercises were concluded with the singing of the “ Red, White, and Blue," and the “Marseilles Hymn." The battalion then returned to company quarters. At 9.30, P. M., battalion line was formed; and, escorted by the Old Guard and citizens, marched to the Western Railroad Station, and left Worcester about 10.30, P. M., reaching New York at eight o'clock, Sunday morning of the 21st.

We were well received in New York. Major Anderson had been there the day before, and it seemed as though the stars and stripes were floating from every window. We breakfasted and dined at the Fifth Avenue Hotel, and marched from there to the armory of the Seventh Regiment. In passing through the city, we were cheered on every side; and our Springfield rifle, with the sabre-bayonet, attracted much attention. While at the armory, we were visited by the Hon. Charles Sumner, and other distinguished individuals. Mr. Sumner made a few remarks, complimenting us on our soldierly appearance and the promptness with which we had replied to the call of the President. After the most enthusiastic reception along the line of our march, at eighi, P. M., we embarked on board the transport Ariel, for Annapolis.

April 23d. Arrived off Fortress Monroe at four, P. M. Found awaiting us transport De Soto, having on board the Boston Light Artillery, and a part of the Fifth Massachusetts Regiment, the other part of the latter being on board the Ariel. Both vessels immediately bore up for Annapolis. It being deemed possible that objections would be offered, either to our progress up the bay, or to our landing at Annapolis, ammunition was distributed, and stations assigned for each company, where they were ordered to immediately assemble, upon hearing the long roll of the drum. No opposition was offered, and we arrived off Annapolis on the morning of the 24th. Found the naval grounds and buildings in the hands of General Butler. The battalion were ordered to disembark, which was done at one, P. M., and were furnished with quarters on the piazza of the mess hall, and bivouacked for the night on the brick pavement.

25th. Were assigned quarters in the main building of the school, over the headquar. ters of General Butler, who immediately ordered from Co. A a detail for duty at headquarters, the detail to continue during the stay of the battalion at this post. We were all expecting to leave for Washington this morning, but General Butler thought he wanted us with him.

28th. Sunday; no drill to-day. It is a new thing for us to pass the Sabbath in this way. Most of us have been writing home.

29th. Hon. Dwight Foster came to-day, on his way to Washington, and brought the first news from home. We were all glad to see him, and what letters he brought were prized very highly. Commenced reading a chapter in the Bible and singing at eight, P. M. Capt. Sprague read this evening, to be followed by Lieutenants Pickett, Joslin, Moulton, and Harkness. We have some fine singers, and think this part of our daily exercises will afford us much pleasure.

30th. Quite a number of the men are sick from eating too much fresh meat; but as this is the first we have had, since leaving New York, it is not strange.

* Re-en listed.

May 1st. Colonel Phillips came this afternoon, and brought letters, etc., from home. Just as we were reading our letters and having a sociable time, orders came to pack up and be ready to leave in the morning, at seven o'clock, for

2d. All ready; knapsacks packed and waiting to move. Orders came that we would not go till evening, but where we were going none could find out. At eight, P. M., embarked on board the transport Maryland, bound, as we learned after the steamer was under way, for Fort McHenry,

3d. Arrived at Fort McHenry at six, A. m., and landed in the midst of a cold rain. storm. As we had passed quite an uncomfortable night and found nothing in good shape, our feelings were not as pleasant as they otherwise would have been. After landing our stores, we marched to what were to be our quarters. Companies A and C were ordered to take charge of some old harracks which look as though they had been filled with rubbish, just after the war of 1812, and had so remained ever since. We soon had the doors open, and the floor was cleared up, and we saw what was to be our sleeping place for the night. We had tried the brick at Annapolis, and made up our minds if we could find anything softer we would have it. Were supplied with boards, and so had oar choice of a pine board or a brick floor. We had not had much to eat that day; our rations were all gone, and raw pork and hard bread were not plenty. The first day at Fort McHenry was not exciting, but perhaps we will have something from Baltimore which will make it more interesting. Major Morris is in command here.

4th. Rain and snow this morning; we thought we were moving South, where it would be warm, - not only warm work, but warm weather. Governor Andrew's overcoats, which some thought a foolish purchase, are just what we need, and we should suffer without them.

5th, Sunday. No drill to-day: inspection and dress parade. Rev. Mr. Roberts, of Baltimore, preached in the chapel this afternoon.

7th. We have been at this post about a week, and have had rain, with some snow, all the time. We are anxious for a change. The soil sticks to our patent leathers in such quantities that if we could send them to Massachusetts we would be in possession of considerable real estate, and our names would be in the list of those who paid a tax of $50 and upwards.

9th. Major Morris orders each company to be drilled by a member of the Fourth Regular Artillery. He thinks we will improve faster. We think our officers are not much behind the Regulars.

14th. General Butler seized a large lot of arms, etc., and we marched outside the gate to guard them. The order came at 9 P. M., just as the roll was being called, and we supposed we were bound for Baltimore - every man was in his place. This is the first time we have been outside the gates. We are hoping to go to Baltimore soon.

15th. Captain Dodd's company came to-day. They are nearly all from Boston. Captain Dodd belonged to the Tigers.

19th. General Cadwallader arrested one of our company for insulting Marshal Kane, as he said. Captain Sprague soon procured his release, or I think we would soon have been in trouble, for Massachusetts men do not think much of Kane, whether he be the first murderer or the one who lent his aid in murdering the Massachusetts men on the 19th of April, 1861. All hands took the oath this morning.

20th. We now drill six hours per day; and, with guard dyty, we have not much time to spare. We are drilled by our own officers now.

26th. 'A choir came from Baltimore, to assist in the services, this afternoon. It made it quite interesting.

31st. Went through inspection in company with the Regulars to-day. Maj. Morris was much pleased, and thought we would compare very favorably with them.

June 1st. About half the battalion are on fatigue duty. We have all the cannon in the Water Battery to dismount, which are twenty-four pounders, and are putting in forty-two's in their place. It is hard work, and could be made much easier, if we were allowed to do it our own way.

5th. A sergeant and corporal, with seventeen privates, were ordered to proceed to Fort Carroll and relieve the recruits now there. Sergeant Johnson, of Co. A, took command of the detail. 21st

. The fatigue duty still continues, and we have changed the looks of many things since we came. should think Baltimore would have a poor time if Fort McHenry opened upon her.

26th. Capt. Sprague, with three men of Company A, was ordered to make a thorough examination of the bridges between Baltimore and Havre de Grace, which he did, and made his report to the Major, which received his approbation.

27th. Marshal Kane and the Police Commissioners were brought in this morning. Kane is a fine-looking man, but should have been here long ago. 30th. Adjt. Goodhue left this afternoon, having been appointed captain in the regJuly 1st. Lieut. Harkness has been appointed acting quartermaster, Quartermaster Estabrooks being stationed at Fortress Monroe. Lieut. McCafferty appointed acting adjutant.

30. Major Devens went to Washington this morning. Capt. Sprague is acting as major. All the boys are looking for the paymaster, and want him to come before the Fourth, as our funds need reinforcement.

4th. Each company has planned to bave a grand time to-day. A dinner, such as is got up in New England, is to be provided. We have no drill, and each company is to

ular army.

relieve the guard of the other, so we can all have our dinner together. The following order was read, which somewhat interfered with our plans, but we celebrated a little. "The commanding officer being officially informed that the Hon. Secretary of War would visit us to-day, arrangements will be made for his reception. Major Morris will proceed to the city at 9 1-4 o'clock for the purpose of receiving him and accompanying him to this post," &c. The Secretary did not arrive till 1 1-2 o'clock, so that our dinner came a little late. Company a, the City Guards, had their dinner about 4, P. M. Capt. Sprague presided at the table, and everything passed off to our entire satisfaction. This was the first time for two and a half months that we had seen a table with table-cloth and dishes. Some of us, perhaps, would have eaten more if we could, but when we got through we did not have much of an appetite. Companies B, C, and D had a nice time, and few who were there will forget the Fourth of July dinner, 1861. Company A were very quiet, owing to the sickness of one of their number, A. H. Gilvert, who joined us soon after our coming here. He had made himself very popular amongst us. His sickness was caused by taking cold while doing fatigue dutr, which he had volunteered to do for one who was not very well. A national salute was fired at meridian.

öti. Gilbert died last night at 11 1-2 o'clock, of typhoid fever. This is the first death in the battalion, though we have had much sickness. The following resolutions were offered by the battalion : Whereas, an all-wise Providence has called from our ranks and the active scenes of life our comrade and friend, Amos H. Gilbert, in the full strength of his early manhood and the vigor of his days, Resolved, that while we bow in submission to the decree of our Heavenly Father, whose ways are inscrutable and past finding out, our grateful hearts shall render thanks that in our daily duties we have been cheered by associations with one who has endeared himself to us by the exhibition of the qualities of the gentleman, the soldier, the affectionate friend.

He, the young and strong, who cherished

Noble longings for the strife,
By the wayside fell and perished,

Weary with the march of life. Resolved, that while we would not invade the sanctity of private grief, and while words of consolation are of little avail while the heart is breaking, we bear our testimony to the noble qualities that inspired our comrade, and pray that He, without whose notice not a sparrow falls,' may comfort and sustain those who were bound to him by the strongest earthly ties.

None knew him but to love him,

Or named him but to praise.' Resolved, that we will wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days in testimony of our affectionate regard and esteem. This afternoon drill was suspended, and, with arms reversed and mufiled drums, we followed the remains to the depot in Baltimore, where we left them in charge of his parents.

6th. Col. Wetherell and one of Gov. Andrew's council came this morning; - the battalion went through drill and dress parade, and was reviewed by them.

9th. Last night, at about 11 o'clock, orders came for a captain, lieutenant, and sixty men to be ready to take a steamer which would be at the fort wharf at 1 o'clock. Capt. McConville, of Company C, and Lieut. Pickett, Company A, were in command, and each detachment reported to the Major in double-quick time. Some who were not detailed, finding out what was up, were anxious to be counted in, but no more could be taken. One young fellow, more anxious than the rest, at last-bought off one of Company B fur the sum of five dollars. At that time our paymaster had not made his appearance, and five dollars was a large sum, but as we had heard that we were bound for a vessel which had left Baltimore with arms and ammunition, and that a brush was expected, the money was of small account. After waiting till 4 A. M., and no steamer making its appearance, we were all dismissed to quarters, to be ready at a moment's notice. At 6 we were all called together again, but were informed that but forty could go. It was decided to draw lots, and as all were anxious and none volunteered to remain, fifteen slips of paper, with

from 1 to 15 on them, were procured. Those who drew ten and under were to go. The young fellow who was to pay the five dollars drew no 15, and so was counted out. The old saying, "Where there is a will there is a way," was proved to be true. Before the troops were ready to leave, he had bought out another of Company B for the same amount, and formed in as one of that company. The Major smiled as he passed, but he had obtained his permission and so was all right. Some said that he had tried so hard to go that he would not come back. At 7 o'clock the steamer Chester touched at the wharf and we all embarked amid the cheers and good wishes of our comrades. We found on board a company of Pennsylvanians, and were joined by a detachment of regulars, with two field-pieces. We had a pleasant sail down the Chesapeake, touched at Millstone Landing, and then proceeded up the Patuxent River. We soon came in sight of two schooners that seemed to be trying to steer clear of us. The steamer was soon on their track and was fast overhauling them, when each lowered a boat and made for the shore, leaving one man in charge of each vessel, who ran them into the sand. We lowered a boat, boarded them, and found them loaded with oysters. Supposing, by the haste in which the crews left, we had two prizes, sure, we were some disappointed; but oysters not being in our line, we were scon on our way again. They had violated the State law of Maryland in taking oysters at that time of the

year, which was the reason they were in such haste to get on shore. We had not proceeded far before we saw a black-looking vessel, which proved to be the U. 3. gunboat Yankee, making for us. We ran up the stars and stripes, and continue I on our course, and as the gunboat came up we could see several guns looking at is through her portholes, and a boat was lowered to board us. We slacked up, when an officer came on board, and we soon convinced him that we were Union men on legal business. We overhauled several vessels, but were obliged to return without accom: plishing our object. On our way up the bay, we encountered a very heavy squall of wind and rain, accompanied by lightning and thunder. The Chester is a good boat, and we experienced no inconvenience from the storm. We arrived at the fort ut about 11, P. M.

Ilth. Major Devens being about to leave us this morning for Worcester for a short time, the battalion were called together, and he made a short but happy speech. We like him very much, and should like to have him remain to go home with us. Capt. Sprague, of Company A, will act as major.

12th. Captain Gleason of Company B, with a detachment of men from each company, was sent to Queenstown to protect the Chester; it having been rumored that a plan had been laid to seize her as the St. Nicholas had been a few days before.

They accomplished their object, and also succeeded in bringing to Fort McHenry the schooner Georgianna of Baltinore, valued at $2,000, which had been run ashore and deserted at the mouth of Chester River.

lóth. Sergeant Major Goodell was appointed and commissioned as adjutant, and commenced his duties to-day. The best-looking man we ever saw came to-day; it was the paymaster. Each private received $30.95, and the officers several dollars more, I think.

16th. A detail of twelve men went down on the George Weams to guard her. N. S. Liscomb was appointed acting sergeant major.

17th. A detail to guard the Mary Washington was made this morning. 18th. A detail of forty men, commanded by Lieutenant Pickett of Company A, and Lieutenant O'Neil of Company C, left about six P. M. with a steamtug and sloop, proceeded just below Fort Carroll, and anchored for the night. In the morning we proceeded to the mouth of the Patuxet, where we arrived about two P. M. The steamtug left the sloop, and proceeded across the bay in search of the tug Resolute, but did not succeed in finding her. While waiting for the tug, we went on shore and obtained a supply of potatoes, oysters, corncake, milk, berries, &c. On our return, we were followed by the gunboat Yankee, who seemed bound to find out what we were doing, supposing we were rebels. They lowered a boat and came on board, at the same time preparing for action. We were ordered to remain where we were till morning, when we would be taken to Annapolis. Lieutenant O'Neil having his commission with him, we finally convinced him we were Yankees, and all the way from Massachusetts. About half past eleven o'clock, in company with two boat loads of marives from the Yankee, we went on shore for the purpose of taking one Haden, who had been furnishing aid and comfort to the rebels; but the bird had flown ; so we had nothing more to do. The next morning we left for Fort McHenry. Two men of Company B were accidentally shot by a pistol in the hands of one of Company D-one in the leg, and the other in the arm, both flesh wounds. This is the first rounded we have had since leaving Massachusetts.

19th. Our three months are up, and all hands are talking of going home. We can find out nothing about going. Major Morris says we must stay till the 19th of August, because we did not take the oath till May 19. Perhaps he knows. He likes the battalion, and will keep them as long as he can; but I think he has taken a poor way to do it. Some of us think we have seen enough of Fort McHenry, - if we could go south, we would be much better pleased.

24th. Our battalion have suffered much from sickness — a kind of slow fever--twenty leaving this morning for home in charge of Lieutenant O'Driscoll, who is unwell also.

25th. General Dix took command this morning. An order was issued to call the battalion together, and we were soon formed in front of the Major's quarters. General Dix came forward, and spoke as follows: "Gentlemen, your time of service expired on the 19th, and you are entitled to go home. If you say you wish to go, I will order your transportation to-morrow; but I had rather you would not ask it to-morrow, or for the next five days. I will order it within ten days. You have done your duty, and more." That is the way men like to be talked to, and every man must have made up his mind that General Dis was a man, a soldier, and a gentleman. We were then dismissed to quarters, as each man was to decide for himself whether he would go or stay. Now we know we were needed, we will see how each company voted. Co. A (City Guards), every man voted to remain till we should be ordered home; Company C (Emmett Guards) voted the same; Company B and D were not unanimous, and the next morning eleven from Company B and one from Company D left for home. We did not cheer them much, and thought if that was a specimen of their patriotism, it had grown small, or that they did not start with much.

29th. An order was issued this morning for the battalion to be ready to leave at six A. M. to-morrow for home. I will not try to tell how we who were off guard passed the last night at Fort McHenry; but morning came at last, and with all our luggage we took the steamer for Baltimore. We were in time for the seven o'clock train for Philadelphia ; but, owing to an accident on the road, we must remain till seven P. M. at the depot. It was warın, it was hot, and such a day as I hope never to see again. At last we were off for Philadelphia, where we arrived at six A. M, 30th.

« PreviousContinue »