Page images

followed successively by Captains W. W. Pierce, Chas. B. Rogers, Geo. P. Kettell, and John T. Boyd. The corps has always enjoyed a high state of prosperity, from its organization to the present time,- its rolls never numbering less than seventy-eight active, and three hundred and fifty civil members. At the call of the President of the United States for troops in April, 1861, the company immediately set about perfecting themselves in discipline and drill, and were ready to respond promptly to the call. April 17, they received orders, and left for Boston to join their regiment. Before leaving the armory, patriotic addresses were made by several prominent citizens, and an impressive prayer offered by the Rev. Mr. Kittredge, of Green Street Church. The same gentleman also presented a pocket Bible to each member of the company. They left the armory amid the cheers and “God-speeds" of a thousand anxious hearts, and were escorted to Boston by an immense concourse of citizens, where they remained until Sunday morning, the 21st, when they left for Washington.

The story of the camp-life of this company is similar to that of every company at the seat of war. Every attention was paid to the wants of the company by its friends at home, and every mail brought some memento to remind the members of the dear ones left behind. One particularly interesting feature of the campaign was the celebration of their anniversary on the soil of Virginia, by a parade and dinner on the 17th of June. The health of the company was exceedingly good, and the men bore with indomitable firmness the privations and hardships they were called upon to endure. Five members were left behind. Samuel E. Chandler, Henry A. Angier, and Converse A. Babcock, were wounded at the Battle of Manassas, and are prisoners, together with George T. Childs, at New Orleans. Sumner Fish is supposed to have been killed, as nothing has been heard from him since the day of the battle. They were brave and generous fellows, and have the warmest sympathies of their more fortunate companions in arms and host of admiring friends.

July 30, the company returned home, and its reception, in common with the Charlestown Artillery, was one of the grandest demonstrations that has been witnessed in Charlestown for many years. Quite a number of the members have re-enlisted in other regiments.

OFFICERS. Captain, JOHN T. BOYD, Charlestown, promoted to Major of 5th Regiment, July 7, 1861. 1st Lieut., John B. NORTON, Charlestown, promoted to Captain, July 7, 1861; 2d Lieut.,

CALEB DREW, Charlestown, promoted to 1st Lieut., July 7, 1861; 3d Lieut, WALTER

EVERETT, Charlestown, promoted to 2d Lieut., July 1, 1861. Sergeants, Albert Prescott, Charlestown; D. Webster Davis, Charlestown ; Samuel A

Wright, Charlestown; George A. Bird, Charlestown. Corporals, William W. Davis, Charlestown; Enoch J. Clark, Charlestown; Joseph Boyd,

Charlestown; George F. Brackett, Charlestown.

Musician, Joshua T. Simpson, Charlestown.

Abbott Chas. H., East Cambridge
Anes Wm. S., Charlestown
Angier Henry A., Charlestown,

wounded in leg by cannon ball,
taken prisoner at Battle of Bull

Run, and carried to Richmond Babeock Converse A., Charlestown,

taken prisoner at Battle Bull
Run, July 21, and carried to

Richmond; thence to N. Orleans
Bailey Andrew I., Charlestown
Bailey Chas. H., Somerville
Beddoe Thomas, Charlestown
*Bent Wm. H., Charlestown
Blunt George, Charlestown
Boyd William, Charlestown
Breed J. Newton, Charlestown,

appointed bugler, June, 1861
Brown Albert F., South Malden
Brown John H., Charlestown
•Brown Warren S., Charlestown
Burckes Thos. J., Charlestown
Butters Frank B., Charlestown
Butts Joseph, Charlestown
Carr John C. Charlestown
Childs Geo. 1., Charlestown, taken
prisoner at Battle of Bull Run, car-
ried to Richmond, and afterward
to New Orleans
Churchill James K., Charlestown
Clark Joseph H., Charlestown
Clark Joseph H., 2d, Charlestown

Chandler Samuel E., Lexington,
was badly wounded in the arm,
taken prisoner, and carried to
Richmond, where he remained
about six months, when he was
released, returned home, and
was welcomed with many public
*Cook Jacob B., Charlestown
•Davis Benjamin, Charlestown
*Davis Edward K., Charlestown,

discharged for disability, June

25, 1861
• Davis Marcus M., Charlestown
Davis Obed R., Charlestown
Dearborn Daniel, Charlestown
Devereux Geo, N., Charlestown
Dow James A., Charlestown
Drew Bartlett S., Charlestown
Ferrier Wm. A., Charlestown
Fish Sumner, Charlestown, missing
since Battle of Bull Run, July 21,

Floyd David O., Boston
Frothingham Frank E., Charles-

Frothingham John B., Charlestown
Harding Wilbur F. Lexington,

discharged June 2, 1861
Higgins Henry W. Charlestown,

joined at Washington, May 15,

Hilton Amos S., Charlestown
Holmes Peter M., Charlestown,
joined at Washington, May 15,
*Kehoe Geo. H., East Cambridge
Lane Chas. D. W., Charlestown
Loring John H., Charlestown
Melvin Wm. W., Lexington
Merrill Alfred K., Charlestown
Moulton Joseph, Charlestown,
joined at Washington, May 15,
Newhall Richard, Charlestown
Nichols George, Charlestown
Niles Thomas, Charlestown
Palmer Lloyd G., Charlestown,

discharged June 2, 1861
Patten Geo. W., Charlestown
Perkins Chas, H., Charlestown
*Quigley Joseph, Charlestown
Ramsay Royal, Lexington
Raymond Charles,

Charlestown Richards Chas. F., Boston *Sheppard Louis, Bostou Simpson James W., Charlestown Thayer Ignatius E., Charlestown *Thornpson Geo. W., Boston Tibbetts Albion W., Boston *White Eben, Newton

Sixth Regiment. Infantry. This regiment, though widely scattered in the counties of Middlesex and Essex, mustered in force at Lowell, April 16th, 1861, at nine o'clock in the morning, very few of them having had more than twelve hours' notice, and some a great deal less. Before leaving Lowell, they were addressed by the Mayor and others, and were cheered by crowds of enthusiastic citizens. Arriving in Boston at one o'clock the same day, they met with another warm reception, and were escorted by crowds of citizens to Faneuil Hall, and from thence to Boylston Hall.

• Re-enlisted.

April 17th, at eleven o'clock, the regiment marched to the State House, to exchange their old muskets for the rifled arms. Here the Governor addressed them in the most complimentary manner, giving utterance to sentiments of the highest patriotism, and expressing his confidence in their devotion, courage, and efficiency in the cause they had so nobly rallied to support. The Governor then presented the colors of the regiment to Colonel Jones, who responded with much feeling, pledging their determined support to them. Before leaving Boston, as a mark of respect to Colonel Jones, it was decided to adopt, as the “ Daughter of the Regiment,” his daughter, an intelligent and interesting girl of twelve years. She was presented by Major Watson, and received with the strongest demonstrations of joy. At seven in the evening the regiment marched to the Worcester depot, and took the cars for Washington. Along the route they were greeted by the people, and saluted by the discharge of cannon and the ringing of bells. At Worcester, an immense crowd met them with patriotic demonstrations, and at Springfield, where they arrived at a late hour, they were received by the military and fire departments, and by thousands who manifested a deep interest in them. Arriving at New York about sunrise, April 18th, they received a splendid ovation from the soldiers and citizens of that city. While passing down Broadway, a venerable genileman, formerly of Ipswich, Mass., said, with much emotion, “ These boys won't run : I commanded a regiment of them in the last war.” At twelve o'clock, they left the city by the Jersey Ferry.

Crossing the river, the :roops entered the spacious depot of the N. J. Railroad Co., which was crowded with patriotic Jerseymen and women. From the balcony around the building, the bright eyes of many a fair one looked down in sparkling delight at the prompt march of the brave Massachusetts boys to their country's defence. Flags were waved by hundreds of fair hands, and while the volunteers were waiting for the cars, not a few of the miniature copies of the national emblem were smilingly transferred to their keeping. After considerable delay, the cars moved on amidst a perfect avalanche of cheers.

The N. Y. Eve. Post said: “As the first detachment of the army which New England will speedily supply the government, the regiment roade a highly creditable appearance, and was shown no more attention than its promptness and patriotism rightly deserved at the hands of the people of New York."

All along the route through New Jersey, the people gathered at every station to wel. come them. They reached Philadelphia at seven P. N., and so densely filled were the streets with people who came forth to receive them, that it was with much difficulty the column could push its way through. A member of the regiment states: “So enthusiastic were our friends, that they rushed into our ranks, threw their arms about the necks of our soldiers, and emptying their own pockets for our benefit, seemed fairly beside themselves with joy. I doubt whether old Massachusetts ever before or since received such encomiums, or her sons such a generous welcome, as on that night in the city of brotherly love."

After partaking of supper at the Continental, the troops were quartered at the Girard House. But hardly had they sought the repose so much needed, after their hurried and exciting journey of the day and previous night, when they were aroused by the long roll calling them to arms, in consequence of information brought by Col. Phillips, of Worcester, to the effect that arrangements were being made to dispute their passage through Baltimore, and that, to save the capital, it was necessary to reach there before another night. Colonel Jones immediately resumed the march, and took the cars for Baltimore, at one o'clock on the morning of the 19th of April.

The following report by Colonel Jones, in regard to the passage through Baltimore, was made to General Butler's adjutant, April 22d, after the regiment had arrived in Wasbiugton: “ Brigade Major WILLIAM H. CLEMENCE :

“In accordance with Special Order No. 6, I proceeded with my command toward the city of Washington, leaving Boston on the evening of the 17th April, arrived in New York on the morning of the 18th, and proceeded to Philadelphia, reaching that place on the same evening. On our way John Brady, of Company H, Lowell, was taken insane, and deeming it unsafe to have him accompany the regiment, I left him at Delanco, New Jersey, with I. C. Buck, with directions that he should telegraph Mayor Sargeant, of Lowell, as to the disposition of him ; and we proceeded thence to Baltimore, reaching that place at noon on the 19th. After leaving Philadelphia, I received intimation that our passage through the city of Baltimore would be resisted. I caused ammunition to be distributed and arms loaded, and went personally through the cars and issued the following order, viz. :

". The regiment will march through Baltimore in column of sections, arms at will. You will undoubtedly be insulted, abused, and perhaps assaulted, to which you must pay no attention whatever, but march with your faces square to the front, and pay no attention to the mob, even if they throw stones, bricks, or other missiles; but if you are fired upon, and any one of you is hit, your officers will order you to fire. Do not fire into any promiscuous crowds, but select any man whom you may see aiming at you, and be sure you drop him.'

“Reaching Baltimore, horses were attached the instant that the locomotive was detached, and the cars were driven at a rapid pace across the city. After the cars containing seven companies had reached the Washington depot, the track behind them was barricaded, and the cars containing band and the following companies, viz., Com. pany C, of Lowell, Captain Follansbee; Company D, Lowell, Captain Hart; Company I, of Lawrence, Captain Pickering; and Company C, of Stoneham, Captain Dike, weré vacated by the band, and they proceeded to march in accordance with orders, and had proceeded but a short distance before they were furiously attacked by a shower of missiles, which came faster as they advanced. They increased their step to doublequick, which seemed to infuriate the mob, as it evidently impressed the mob with the i lea that the soldiers dared not fire or had no ammunition, and pistol-shots were numerously fired into the ranks, and one soldier fell dead. The order, Fire, was given, and it was executed; in consequence, several of the mob fell, and the soldiers again advanced hastily. The Mayor of Baltimore placed himself at the head of the column, beside Captain Follansbee, and proceeded with them a short distance, assuring him that he would protect them, and begging him not to let the inen fire; but the Mayor's patience was soon exhausted, and he seized a musket from the hands of one of the men and killed a man therewith, and a policeman who was in advance of the column also shot a man with a revolver.

"They at last reached the cars, and they started immediately for Washington. On going through the train, found there were about one hundred and thirty missing, including the band and field music. Our baggage was seized, and we have not as yet been able to recover any of it. I have found it very difficult to get reliable information in regard to the killed and wounded.”

[*Then follows a list of the killed and wounded, as accurate as it could be made at the time.)

“As the men went into the cars, I caused the blinds of the cars to be closed, and took every precaution to prevent any shadow of offence to the people of Baltimore; but still the stones flew thick and fast into the train, and it was with the utmost difficulty that I could prevent the troops from leaving the cars and revenging the death of their comrades. After a volley of stones, some one of the soldiers fired and killed a Mr. Davis, who, I have since ascertained by reliable witnesses, threw a stone into the car. Yet that did not justify the firing at him, but the men were infuriated beyond control. On reaching Washington we were quartered at the Capitol in the Senate Chamber, and are all in good health and spirits.

“I have made every effort to get possession of the bodies of our comrades, but have not yet succeeded. Should I succeed, I shall forward them to Boston if practicable, othere wise sha!f avail myself of a kind offer of George Woods, Esq., who has offered me a prominent lot in the Congressional Burying Ground for the purpose of interment.

“We were this day mustered into the United States service, and will forward the rolls at first opportunity after verification.

EDWARD F. JONES, Colonel Sixth Regiment, M. V. M., in service of United States." Another statement, from a member of the regiment, gives some additional facts in reference to the order in which the regiment went “through Baltimore.” It states:

“When we left Pailadelphia, which was about 1 o'clock on the morning of April 19th, it was made apparent to the regimental officers that difficulties would attend our passage through Baltimore, and orders were issued by the Colonel for the arms to be loaded. On arriving at the Susquehanna, our train was greatly augmented by the addition of cars containing an unarmed corps of young men, apparently from 16 to 22 years of age, numbering, as was said, about 1000, and calling themselves Small's Brigade. I am unaware that any official recognition took place between the two corps at any time. In rearranging the train on the south side of the Susquehanna, it being night-time, some of the cars, in which were a portion of the Sixth Regiment, were misplaced, separating them from the other companies of the regiment, and breaking the order in which it was embarked in the cars at Philadelphia, namely, in regular order from right to left, each company occupying a single car, the last and left company being Co. K, Capt. Sampson, from Boston. This disarrangement of the line was not discovered by the regimental officers, and was afterwards the occasion of unhappy results. The great length of the train so retarded its speed that we did not arrive in Baltimore until nearly noon. Just before arriving there, Col. Jones promulgated an order in the forward car, which contained the field and staff officers, that if interfered with in Baltimore, or in. salted, or stoned, no notice should be taken of it. But if fired upon, the regiment was to defend itself. Also that the regiment would form in column of sections and march through the city. This order was probably promulgated through the entire regiment. The Colonel also ordered Major Watson, his second in command, to repair, upon the stopping of the train, the left company, Capt. Sampson, to remain in the car with that company until ordered to file out into place in column, and charged him to see the rear of the battalion through the city. When the train arrived and stopped, Major Watson proceeded, in obedience to this order, through the gathering and excited crowd, from the forward car to that one containing Capt. Sampson's command. No orders came to file out, and in a few minutes' time all of the cars forward of the one occupied by Capt. Sampson's company, or the larger portion of that company, disappeared, and horses were being attached to that. We knew nothing of the movements of the balance of the regiment, as no intimation had been transmitted to us of a change in the orders. Our car was drawn by horses until it came to the first turn in the street, when, owing to obstructions, it was thrown from the track, Major Watson ordered Capt. Sampson to prevent his men from leaving the car, while he, with the aid of a passing team, suc

* The killed and wounded, as since corrected, are noted in the company rolls on the following pages.

ceeded in replacing the car upon the track. At this time the mob were much excited, and many missiles were thrown at and into the car. We proceeded on to Pratt street, nearly opposite the dock, when the mob surrounded the car, and, detaching the horses, stopped the car in suspicious proximity to a large pile of paving stones. Here a most furious and determined attack was made with stones and other missiles and firearms, wounding several in the car, and making of it almost a complete wreck. After we were fired upon, the fire was returned from the car, Major Watson ordered the command to shelter themselves, so far as was possible, by lying upon the floor of the car, while he went out into the crowd and by threats, enforced by the formidable appearance of his revolver, compelled the driver to reattach the horses, and, amid a fresh volley, it went forward a short distance, when the horses were again detached. Here the crowd was less numerous, and Major Watson succeeded in again getting the horses replaced, and the car was drawn to the Washington depot without further difficulty, other than an occasional stray shot or brickbat and torrents of imprecations and threats. Arriving at the depot, we found Col, Jones and staff, and the entire portion of the regiment that had preceded us, and ascertained that they had made the passage without other molestation than insulting language from the rioters, and also learned that the order of march had not been carried out because the horses were attached to the front car so rapidly, and for the same reason, as the Colonel alleged, there was not time for him to countermand his order to march. We also then learned further that another portion of the regiment had not arrived, consisting of Company C, of Lowell, Capt. Follansbee, Company I, of Lawrence, Capt. Pickering, Company L, of Stoneham, Capt. Dike, and a part of Com. pany D, of Lowell, Capt. Hart. These companies were the ones separated from the rest in the making up of the train at the crossing of the Susquehanna. 'The mob so tore up and obstructed the track, that they were compelled to march through the city, and it was their march which has been so generally described in the published accounts.

“While Major W. and Capt. Sampson's company were engaged with the mob, as before related, it was not known to them that any of the regiment were left behind, nor was it known what had become of that portion of the regiment under immediate command of Col. Jones. After the entire regiment had arrived at the Washington depot, we were further delayed some time by obstructions upon the track. During all this time the cars were surrounded by the furious crowd, and occasional shots were exchanged between them and the soldiers. Here for the first time the police appeared, and seemed to work earnestly in keeping the crowd from contact with the regiment. The police force accompanied the train as far as the Relay House. The whole passage through Baltimore must have occupied over two hours."

Another member, who was with the first companies who passed safely through the city, says: “Unknown to the officers of the regiment, a change was made in the formation of our line, by which three companies, who should have been first through the city, were made to bear the brunt of the fight in Baltimore, a few hours later, and thus those companies to whom the fight justly belonged, much to their regret, passed through the city without sharing it."

From the foregoing statements it appears that most of the regimental officers, with the following companies, - A of Lowell, B of Groton, E of Acton, F of Lawrence, H of Lowell, and B of Worcester, with a part of Company. K of Boston, passed through the streets to the Washington depot, without serious injury, but not without gross insults and danger from the assaults of the mob: The last car, however, conveying these companies and one containing a portion of Company K, with Capt. Sampson and Lieut.-Col. Watson, encountered a serious charge from the secessionists, who were, however, successfully repulsed, and the car passed on; only a few of the members receiving wounds or bruises from the stones and missiles which broke in the car wió. dows.

As soon as these cars had passed, the rebels, some ten thousand strong, and composed mainly of the “roughs," which distinguish that city, made preparations to more effectually prevent the passage of the renaining troops. They barricaded the streets and removed the rails from the track, rendering the passage by the cars impossible, and Companies C and D of Lowell, I of Lawrence, and L of Stoneham, found that they should be compelled either to force their way on foot through the hostile ranks, or return. The latter alternative never occurred to these gallant men, for on to Washington was their inspiring thought. Knowing the righteousness of their cause, they believed that "the gates of hell could not prevail against them." Leaving the cars, they formed in order, and heroically breasted the storm which so fearfully raged around them. As they left the cars, their ears were saluted with cheers for Jeff. Davis and South Carolina, and their eyes were offended by the waving of secession flags, and they were told to “dig their graves," and informed that “thirty of us can whip the whole of you," “Massachusetts men are good for praying, but not for fighting," with other gross and' insulting language. But the soldiers heeded it not; they were bound on a boly mission, and proceeded to execute it regardless of attacks or insults.

Capt. Follausbee, being the senior officer present, took the post of honor, and the companies started at once to rejoin the regiment. The rabble which had followed and assailed them, now increased rapidly; and perceiving the small number of troops - less than two hundred – they became emboldened, and increased their violence as the brave soldiers marshalled themselves for the contest, amidst the thousands who had surrounded them, and who were intent on their destruction. An eye-witness writes :

"The Massachusetts men formed in line and wheeled into open column of sections and marched some distance at quick time and then at double-quick, all the while surrounded by the mob - now swelled to the number of at least ten thousand - yelling and hooting. The military behaved admirably, and still abstained from firing upon their assailants. The mob now began throwing a perfect shower of missiles, occasionally varied by random shots from revolvers or muskets. The soldiers suffered severely from the immense quantity of stones, oysters, brickbats, paving-stones, &c. The shots fired also wounded several. When two of the soldiers had been killed, and the wounded had been conveyed to places of safety, the troops at last, exasperated and maddened by the treatment they had received, commenced returning the fire singly, killing several, and wounding a large number of the rioters; but at no one time did a single platoon fire in a rolley. The volunteers, after a protracted and severe struggle, at last succeeded in reaching the station, bearing with them in triumph many of the wounded. The calm courage and heroic bearing of the troops spoke volumes for the sons of Massachusetts, who, though marching under a fire of the most embarrassing description, and opposed to overwhelming odds, nevertheless succeeded in accomplishing their purpose, and effected a passage through crowded streets a distance of over a mile and a half; a feat not easily accomplished by so small a body of men when opposed to such terrific odds."

A member of one of the companies, after describing the first attack on landing from the cars, states :

“Next came a salute of bullets, which whistled about our ears like hail - making music more pleasant at a distance than close at one's ear. We did not fire even then, but waited until a second volley, which shot down two of Company D. Then Capt. Follansbee gave the order to fire on any one that was in any way resisting our passage. We did so, not promiscuously, however, but only on such as were seen in the act of firing on us, as we did not wish to injure innocent men. The story in the papers that we fired on them by platoons is a false statement, as is the one that the Mayor fired the first gun. Mayor Brown did shoot a man, however, under the following circumstances: While walking beside Capt. Follansbee, he saw one of the mob strike down one of the men with a brickbat; as he fell, the Mayor sprang, and taking the gun from the hand of the fallen man, shot the scoundrel on the spot. This was after several of the roughs had felt Massachusetts lead. They fired down on us from the windows, house-tops, and from almost every direction. A leader of the mob told us we should not leave the city alive. The fellow soon after fell, pierced by several bullets, which caused many of his comrades to leave with considerable haste."

The scene of this terrific and murderous fight was on Pratt Street, a place ever infamous in history, unless the repentant tears of loyal Baltimoreans shall wash the damning stain from its pavements.

Many of the brave men, who here met the myrmidons of oppression, were the descendants of patriots, whose blood was the first shed in the Revolutionary cause on the ever memorable 19th of April, 1775, and now, on the anniversary of that glorious day, the sons of such “illustrious sires" were at the post of danger, and the first to shed their blood and consecrate a still nobler cause.

All honor to the glorious dead who here fell, the first martyrs to their country's cause; their names will be remembered and cherished as household words, while their countrymen will eulogize their memory in speech and in song. And you "who still live," and bear honorable marks and scars, gained on that eventful day, will remain objects of ceaseless interest, and, with your comrades who escaped unhurt, will ever be regarded with grateful affection by all who admire heroism and patriotic fidelity. Your manly bearing, your patient endurance, and forbearance in those trying hours, bespeak the majesty of your New England character. Gallantly you persevered in the path of duty, and bravely repulsed the foe, and victoriously entered and saved the Capital of your country. Proudly does Massachusetts point' to the “Glorious Sixth," and gather fresh laurels from new deeds achieved on the 19th of April.

But from the pleasing contemplations of such achievements we must turn and follow the noble troops through still other dangers.

Arriving at the Washington depot and placing themselves with the regiment, they shared with them the concentrated vengeance of traitors, who, maddened by defeat and death in their ranks, had here gathered in full force. The scene here, as before, was indescribably fearful.

Taunts, clothed in the most horrid language, were hurled at them by the panting crowd, who, almost breathless with running, passed up to the car windows, threatening the soldiers with knives and revolvers, and cursing up into their faces. The police were thrown in between the cars, and forming a barrier, the troops changed cars, many of them cocking their muskets as they stepped on the platform.

After embarking, the assemblage expected to see the train move off, but its departure was evidently delayed, in the vain hope that the crowd would disperse; but no, it swelled, and the troops expressed, to the officers of the road, their determination to go at once, or they would leave the cars and make their way to Washington.

While the delay was increasing the excitement, a wild cry was raised on the platform, and a dense crowd ran down the platform and out the railroad track towards the Spring Gardens, until the track for a mile was black with an excited rushing mass. The crowd, as it went, placed obstructions of every description on the track. Great logs and telegraph poles, requiring a dozen or more men to move them, were laid across the rails, and stones rolled from the embankment.

A body of police followed after the crowd, both in a full run, and removed the obstructions as fast as they were placed on the track. Various attempts were made to tear up the track with logs of wood and pieces of timber, and there was a great outcry

« PreviousContinue »