Page images

siege of Vera Cruz, and won a high reputation as an artillerist.

Subsequently he commanded the Steamer Michigan, a one-gun vessel, running up and down the lakes. Shortly after his appointment, he was transferred to the flag ship of Commodore Morgan, the Independence, a fifty-four-gun razeed ship of the line, of the Mediterranean squadron. He was afterward transferred to the Cumberland, a forty-four-gun frigate, and at length returned home in the Mississippi, of ten guns, Captain Long, which brought over Kossuth. In April, 1855, he was commissioned Lieutenant, and put in command of the Store Ship Fredonia, of four guns, attached to the Pacific squadron.

He returned home in 1857, and went in 1858 in the Niagara, to return to Africa the negroes taken from the Steamer Echo. He was next ordered on the St. Louis, a war sloop of twenty guns, Commander Ogden, of the Home Squadron, where he remained until May, 1860, when he was ordered home, and at the commencement of 1861, was reported in the Navy Register as being on ordnance duty at the Washington Navy Yard.

At the commencement of the Rebellion he was detached from the Navy Department, and placed on special duty in the War Department. In the spring of 1861, he was detailed to command the Ohio River fleet of gunboats.

While on the Ohio River, in consideration of his extensive acquaintance with the people of Kentucky, and his large relationship in that State, he was considered the person, during the ill health of General Anderson, to be sent into Kentucky, to sound the loyal sentiment there, and strengthen it.

In April he went thither, and began the formation of a camp, and the recruiting of troops, at a point between Garrardsville and Danville, which was named “Camp Dick Robinson." He afterward formed a camp at Washington, Mason County, and others at other points, and was highly successful in raising and organizing troops.

He was next engaged in pursuit of the Rebels in the mountainous regions of Eastern Kentucky, defeating them on several occasions. He also fought and whipped IIumphrey Marshall repeatedly. He afterward was appointed to command the 2d Division of General Buell's army, advancing with him through Kentucky and Tennessee, acting as Major-General, though commissioned as a Brigadier.

He participated in the battle of Shiloh, at Pittsburg Landing, where his bravery was conspicuous. He commanded in person at the battle of Richmond, Kentucky, was wounded, and being partially recovered, returned to Louisville, and took command of the forces there; having been, in the interim, made Major-General of volunteers.

He was a man about forty years of age, of massive, fine physique, of commanding presence, and imperious manners, which last resulted in his death, on the morning of the 29th of September, at the Galt House, in Louisville, at the hands of Brigadier-General J. C. Davis, who shot him with a pistol in the abdomen. His death ensued in half an hour.



AFTER the battle and capture of Mission Ridge, Gen. eral Palmer pushed his division forward in the direction of Graysville, and after securing a large number of arms and provisions, encamped on the north side of Chickamauga, and three-fourths of a mile from Graysville.

Major D. W. Norton and Lieutenant J. W. Shaw, of the General's staff, were in want of forage for their horses, and crossed the river, with an orderly, on a midnight forage. Arriving at Graysville, they reconnoitered the houses in search of corn, looked in through a window, and discovered seven Rebels asleep before the fire, with their guns stacked. Entering very quietly, they removed the guns, and then awakened the Rebels; who, springing up, asked

How far back is the enemy ?” “If you mean the Yankees,” replied the Major, “they are not very far.” Rebel. “ What do

Major. “I mean that you are our prisoners.”

The Rebels started for the place where they had deposited their guns; when the Major and Lieutenant drew their revolvers, and ordered them to lie down; informing them that they had the house surrounded, and would stand guard till morning, when they would be sent in.

The Rebels obeyed the order, and prepared to finish their nap. Leaving them to sleep, the officers went out, dispatched the orderly for reinforcements, entered other



[ocr errors]

houses, where they secured more in a similar manner, and when the guard arrived, turned over nineteen Rebel prisoners, that they had taken by their sharp strategy, among whom were four commissioned officers.

Other houses were searched, in which Rebels were found, and at one o'clock the officers returned to General Palmer's camp, with about one hundred prisoners. The exploit was a daring one, and highly pleased “Old Pap,” as the boys of the 14th Corps style their popular commander.



CLINTON WATERS, a member of the 17th Indiana regiment, probably performed as much scouting as any man in the Army of the Cumberland.

Just before the entry of our army into Chattanooga, Colonel Wilder, with his command, was on the north side of the river, awaiting the development of the enemy's movements, which were such as to excite suspicion.

Waters was selected for the duty of obtaining information, and permitted to take his own course. An opportunity soon presented itself: The following day our soldiers were bathing in the river, on the north side. The Rebels came down the southern bank, stripped themselves, and plunged in.

A few minutes later the soldiers of the two armies were mingling together in the river, cracking their jokes and enjoying themselves to their hearts' content. Gradually Waters made his way to the south bank, and by freely expressing his joy at the kind reception given by the Yankees, excited no suspicion. Arriving at the bank, he leisurely put himself into a suit of Rebel uniform, and made his way up through the town.

After mingling with the men, he learned the exact state of affairs, and turned toward the river. As he passed the guards, he observed that they eyed him suspiciously, and having learned all that was of importance, he reached the river, plunged boldly in, swam across, and soon after presented himself at the Colonel's headquarters, with the information that the town had been evacuated by Bragg, and that but four regiments of cavalry, and a small force of infantry remained. Waters soon exchanged his

Rebel suit for his own dry clothes, but did not return the stolen wardrobe.

A subsequent exploit is also worthy of record, showing, as it does, the happy faculty he possessed to improve the opportunities offered. On the day of Wilder's fight with Pegram, at Rock Springs, Georgia, Waters was captured while carrying a message. He was sent to Richmond, imprisoned, but bribed a Rebel with a gold watch he had concealed. to permit him to act as nurse. Shortly after, an order came for the exchange of some of the prisoners, and, being under charge as a spy, he was determined to escape.

Providing himself with a pair of crutches on the day of the exchange, he bandaged his legs, scratched his face, applied court-plaster, and otherwise assumed the appearance of a wounded prisoner.

The inmates of his hospital were ordered out, and, assuming the name of a deceased comrade, he succeeded in gaining an exchange, and in due course of time arrived North. He subsequently raised a company for the 123d Indiana, of which he became Captain.

« PreviousContinue »