Page images

Department, where they arrived on the 30th of July, and were conducted to the Penitentiary, and turned over by General Mason to the Warden, and placed in close quarters, not only as prisoners of war, but as hostages for Colonel Straight and his officers immured in the Libby Prison at Richmond. Fifty-two more of Morgan's officers, including Colonel Duke, were transferred to the Penitentiary on the 1st of August from Johnson's Island, where they were at first sent. The 13 privates were transferred to Camp Chase, where were some 1,300 of their comrades. A large number were also sent to Indianapolis.

The costs and damages occasioned by the Morgan raid, in Ohic alone, as stated by Governor Tod in his Message to the Legtslature, (January 4, 1863,) werepay of militia, $250,000; damages by the enemy, $495,000; by our own troops, $152,000; being an agaggregate of $897,000, exclusive of subsistence and transportation assumed by the General Government.

To-day; O freedom's children come,

And shout with one accord,
In praise of Burnside and our boys,

And Hobbs and Shackleford ;
For Morgan, bandit chief, is caged,

Though like a hare in fright,
Through sombre woods, from cliff to cliff,

He fled both day and night!

So shout, while he and Basil Duke,

Within the dreary shades
Of prison walls, are musing on

The gain of making raids,
Through proud Ohio's rich domains,

Where men are brave and true,
And women love the dear old flag,

Of red, and white and blue !

Bring forth the rusty guns, and let

A joyful noise be made :
Lay by the implements of toil-

The anvil, ax, and spade :
Heed not the silver-tasselled corn,

Heed not the new-mown hay,
Come all, and lift your voices loud,

In songs and shouts to-day.-HATTIE GERMAN.




In December, 1862, General W. T. Sherman, with a strong force of infantry, on steam transports and some gunboats, entered the mouths of the Yazoo river, on the 28th, and landing the infantry five miles above Vicksburg, the defences of which, both natural and artificial, were then but little known, commenced an assault with a view to the capture of that place. The attempt being unsuccessful, and the loss considerable, he retired up the river to Arkansas Post; which by a most brilliant combined naval and military attack was captured, with nearly 8,000 prisoners, on the 11th of January, 1863. Whatever credit General McClernand may be entitled to, for this result, it is certain that General Sherman commanded in person, the attacking land forces, which, with the gunboats Louisville, De Kalb, Cincinnati, and Lexington, and some light-draughts, soon silenced the fort, and compelled its unconditional surrender.

The expedition next moved down to Milliken's Bend on the 17th of January, and there disembarked. General Grant taking command in person, and feeling satisfied that Vicksburg could only be turned from the south side, set to work enlarging the canal, which had been previously located by General Williams, across the peninsula, on the Louisiana side of the river; hoping to make a channel which would pass transports for moving the army, and carrying supplies to the new base of operations below. In this he was frustrated by heavy rains and high water.

A new route was next explored and judged practicable, through certain bayous communicating with Tensas river. This, with the aid of dredge boats, was so improved that one small steamer and several barges were taken through; but the river falling rapidly, and the roads becoming passable between Milliken's Bend and New Carthage, near the middle of April, made this route impracticable and unnecessary.

Soon after commencing the first canal, the General caused a channel to be cut from the Mississippi river into Lake Providence, which it was thought might afford a passage, by its connection with Bayou Baxter and Bayou Macon, for transports, through Tensas, Wachita, and Red rivers, to the Mississippi below.

Another attempted route was by way of Yazoo Pass, Coldwater, and Tallahatchie rivers into the Yazoo, in the hope of obtaining a foothold on high land above Haines's Bluff; but it was found that a sufficient number of boats of the right class for conveying a sufficient force, could not be had; beside which, it was found that while our troops were opening one end of the route, the enemy were obstructing the other, thus gaining time to fortify Fort Pemberton, at Greenwood, so that our gunboats were unable to silence their batteries; so the project was abandoned.

Another expedition was attempted by Steele's Bayou, Black Bayou, Deer Creek, Rolling Fork, and Sunflower, to the Yazoo, with the same general objects in view, but failed of success, from want of sufficient knowledge of the route. These failures were considered by the General as probably Providential, in driving him ultimately. to a line of operations, which proved eminently successful.

The waters fast falling, and the roads beginning to be passable, about the middle of April, the land forces took up the line of march for New Carthage, via Richmond; the 13th Army Corps moving first, commanded by General McClernand, and the 17th under General McPherson, soon following. At the same time, preparations were being made for running transports down past the Vicksburg batteries, with Admiral Porter's gunboat fleet.

On the night of the 16th of April. Admiral Porter's fleet, and the transports Silver Wave, Forest Queen, and Henry Clay, ran the Vicksburg batteries. The boilers of the transports were protected as well as possible, with bales of hay and cotton.

More or less commissary stores were put on each. All three of these boats were struck more or less frequently while passing the batteries, and the IIenry Clay, by the explosion of shell, or by other means, was set on fire, and entirely consumed. The other two boats were not seriously disabled. No one on board of either was hurt.

Six more boats were then prepared in like manner, for running the batterries, viz.: Tigress, Anglo-Saxon, Cheeseman, Empire City, Horizonia, and Moderator. These left Milliken's Bend on the night of the 22d of

[merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small]


April, and five of them got by, but in a somewhat damaged condition.

. The Tigress received a shot in her hull, below the water line, and sunk on the Louisiana shore, soon after passing the last of the batteries. The crews of these steamers, with the exception of the Forest Queen and Silver Wave, were composed of volunteers from the army.

Upon the call for volunteers for this dangerous enterprise, officers and men presented themselves by hundreds, anxious to undertake the trip.

Twelve barges, loaded with forage and rations, were sent down in tow of the last six boats, and half of them got through in a condition to be used, and five of the transports were soon put in running order, and the remainder were in a condition to be used as barges, in moving troops.

The 13th Army Corps having got through to the Mississippi, as much of it as the barges would carry were embarked and conveyed to the front of Grand Gulf on the 29th of April. The plan was for the navy to silence the guns of the enemy, and the troops to land

, under cover of the gunboats, and carry the place by storm. But this was found impracticable, after five hours bombardment, from the fact of the enemy's guns being too elevated, and the fortifications too strong to be taken from the water side.

It was therefore determined to again run the gauntlet of the batteries, and turn the enemy's position by effecting a landing below. Orders were at once given for the troops to debark at Hard Times, on the Louisiana shore, and to march down to a point opposite Bruinsburg, between Grand Gulf and Rodney.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small]
« PreviousContinue »