Page images

are highly respectable people, and in good circumstances. She was sent to the convent in Wheeling, Va., at twelve years of age, where she remained until the breaking out of the war, having acquired a superior education, and all the accomplishments of modern usage.

She visited home after leaving the convent, and after taking leave of her parents, proceeded to this city in July last, (1862, with the design of enlisting in the 2d East Tennessee Cavalry, which she accomplished, and accompanied the army of the Cumberland to Nashville. She was in the thickest of the fight at Murfreesboro, and was severely wounded in the shoulder, but fought gallantly, and waded Stone river into Murfreesboro, on the memorable Sunday on which our forces were driven back. She had her wound dressed, and here her sex was disclosed, and General Rosecrans made acquainted with the fact.

She was accordingly mustered out of the service, notwithstanding her earnest entreaty to be allowed to serve the cause she loved so well. The general was very favorably impressed with her daring bravery, and superintended the arrangements for her safe transmission to her parents. She left the army of the Cumberland resolved to enlist again in the first regiment she met. When she arrived at Bowling Green she found the 8th Michigan there and enlisted; since which time she has been and is now connected with it.

She is represented as an excellent horseman, and has been honored with the position of regimental bugler to the regiment. She has seen and endured all the privations and hardships incident to the life of the soldier, and gained an enviable reputation as a scout, having made several wonderful expeditions, which were attended with signal success.

Frank is only eighteen years of age, quite small, and a beautiful figure. She has auburn hair, which she wears quite short, and large blue eyes, beaming with intelligence. Her complexion is naturally very fair, though slightly bronzed at present from exposure. She is exceedingly pretty and very amiable. Her conversation denotes more than ordinary accomplishment, and what is stranger than all, she appears very refined in her manners, giving no evidence whatever of the rudeness which might naturally be expected from her late associations.

Frank informs us that she has discovered a great many females in the army, and is now intimately acquainted with a young lady who is a lieutenant in the army. She has assisted in burying three female soldiers at different times, whose sex was unknown to any but herself.




THE Mobile Register published the following interesting letter, from the “father of Lamar Fontain," (a pious old Rebel.)

Lamar is almost continually in the saddle, and employed in very hazardous enterprises. His last feat of arms was the most daring he has yet performed.

He left my house May 24th, 1863, under orders from General Johnston to bear a verbal dispatch to General Pemberton, in Vicksburg, and to carry a supply of percussion caps to our troops in that besieged city. I parted with him, hardly hoping ever to see him again; for I knew that Vicksburg was closely invested on all sides. The enemy's lines of circumvallation extend from Snyder's Bluff, on the Yazoo, to Warrenton, on the Mississippi, and the rivers, and their opposite shores, are filled and lined with their forces.

He was well mounted, and was burdened with forty pounds of percussion caps, beside his blanket and crutches. He has no use of his broken leg, and cannot walk a step without a crutch; and in mounting his horse, he has to lift it over the saddle with his right hand. But he accomplishes this object with much dexterity, and without assistance. I loaned him a very fine saber, with a wooden scabbard, to prevent rattling, and a very reliable revolver, which has never missed fire, when loaded by me.

The family were called together for prayers, and we prayed fervently, that the God of our fathers would shield him from all danger, and enable him to fulfil his mission to Vicksburg successfully, and give him a safe return. I then exhorted him to remember, that if it was the will of God for him to live, and serve his country, all the Yankees owned by Lincoln could not kill him; but if it was the Divine will that he should die, he would be in as much danger at home as in Vicksburg, and death would certainly find him, no matter where he might be.

I charged him to use his best endeavors to kill every one of the jackalls who should attempt to stop his course, or to come within reach of his sword or pistol.

He crossed Big Black River that night, and the next day got between their lines and the division of their army, which was at Mechanicsburg. He hid his horse in a ravine, and ensconced himself in a fallen tree, overlooking the road, during the day. From his hiding place, he witnessed the retreat of the Yankees, who passed him in considerable haste and confusion.

After their columns had gone by, and the night had made it safe for him to move, he continued his route in the direction of Snyder's Bluff. As he entered the telegraphic road from Yazoo City to Vicksburg, he was hailed by a picket, but dashed by him. A volley was fired at him by the Yankees. He escaped unhurt, but a Minnie ball wounded his horse mortally.

The spirited'animal, however, carried him safely to the bank of the Yazoo River, where he died, and left his rider afoot. He lost one of his crutches in making his escape, it being jerked from him by the limb of a tree, and he had no time to pick it up.

With the assistance of one crutch, he carried his baggage, and groped along the Yazoo, until he providentially discovered a small log canoe, tied by a rope, within his reach. He pressed this into his service, and paddled down the river until he met three Yankee gunboats coming up to Yazoo City.

He avoided them by running under some willows overhanging the water, and lying concealed until they passed. Soon afterward he floated past Snyder's Bluff, which was illuminated, and alive with Yankees and negroes, participating in the amusement of a grand ball of mixed races.

He lay flat in his canoe, and could hardly be distinguished from a piece of drift-wood-and he glided safely through the gunboats and barges of the amalgamationists. He reached the backwater of the Mississippi before day, and in the darkness missed the outlet of the Yazoo, and got into what is called “Old River.”

After searching in vain for a pass into the Mississippi, day dawned, and he discovered his mistake. He was forced to conceal his boat and himself, and lie by for another day. He had been two days and nights without food, and began to suffer the pangs of hunger.

At night he paddled back into the Yazoo, and descended it to the Mississippi, passing forty or fifty of the Yankee transports. Only one man hailed him, from the stern of a steamboat, and asked him where he was going. He replied that he was going to his fishing lines.

In the bend, above Vicksburg, he floated by the mortar fleet, lying flat in his canoe. The mortars were in full blast, bombarding the city. The next morning he tied a white handkerchief to his paddle, raised him


in the midst of our picket-boats at Vicksburg, and gave a loud huzza for Jeff. Davis, and the Southern Confederacy, amid the vivas of our sailors, who gave him a joyful reception, and assisted him to General Pemberton's headquarters.

After resting a day and a night in the city, he started out with a dispatch from General Pemberton to General Johnston. He embarked in his same canoe, and soon reached the enemy's fleet below the city. He avoided their picket-boats on both shores, and floated near their gunboats. He passed so near one of these, that through an open port-hole he could see men playing cards and hear them converse.

At Diamond Place he landed, and bade adieu to his

self up

« PreviousContinue »