Named after a Prussian officer who aided America during the Revolution, Fort Steuben was constructed in 1786 to protect government surveyors of the Old Northwest Territory. In 1797, Steubenville, one of the earliest settlements in Ohio, was founded and named after the fort. Located on the Ohio River, the town became a hub of transportation, bringing in settlers and industry. By the 20th century, Steubenville had become a center for steel production and coal mining. Important figures President Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, sports commentator "Jimmy the Greek," and entertainer Dean Martin all are natives of Ohio's eastern gateway, Steubenville.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
3rd and Market 4th and Market 806 South Crocetti Andrew Carnegie ARCH AT 4TH Bezaleel brick building was constructed building was demolished CARNEGIE'S CENTENNIAL ARCH church building City of Murals corner of 4th COUNTY COURT HOUSE Dean Martin downtown Steubenville Edwin erected Fort Steuben h 806 South Hamtramck HARDING MIDDLE SCHOOL High School highway JEFFERSON COUNTY COURT LAKE AT STANTON Land Office Library of Steubenville Lincoln located Market Street Mural by artist North 4th Street North Streets Northwest Territory OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY Ohio Power Company Ohio River original Pennsylvania Railroad Photograph by Ron Pleasant Heights PLSJOC postcard shows Presbyterian Church Public Library RAILROAD BRIDGE reconstructed renovated replaced resident Ron Smith Route S.S. Kresge Slack Street soldiers South 4th STANTON PARK STANTON STATUE Steel Steuben Steubenville and Jefferson Steubenville Female Seminary Steubenville's street scene streetcar line streetcar tracks trolley trolley park Union Cemetery Visitor's Center Washington Street West Virginia