Page images

hundred and twenty thousand people passed through the Hall during the twenty-four hours.

At three o'clock on Monday morning, April 24th, the mournful cortege left Philadelphia for New York. As the draped cars passed through New Jersey, the people of that State evinced the same grief, and paid the same honors to the funeral train as had hitherto been done by the people of Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Gov. PARKER, of New Jersey, and staff, met the escort at the State line, and accompanied it to New York. At Trenton, Rahway, Elizabeth, Newark, and Jersey City, as well as at all the intermediate points, bells were tolled, minute guns were fired, and immense assemblages of citizens were gathered.


On arriving at New York, the remains were carried in solemn procession to the City Hall, where they were placed in state. The interior of the City Hall was elaborately draped and festooned with mourning emblems, presenting a sombre and solemn appearance.

The room in which the remains of the President were deposited was thoroughly draped in black. The centre of the ceiling was dotted with silver stars relieved by black; the drapery was finished with heavy silver fringe, and the curtains of black velvet were fringed with silver and gracefully looped The coffin rested on a raised dais, on an inclined plane, the inclination being such that the face of the departed patriot was in view of visitors while passing for two or three minutes.

The coffin was laid on the dais in the presence of Generals Dix, Burnside, Van Vliet, Peck, Ullman, Sandford, and Townsend ; Admiral Spaulding; Commodores Meade and Rice; the members of the Press, and a number of eminent civilians. The embalmers then re-arranged the body, which had been somewhat disturbed by the journey, after which the lid was removed, affording a view of the face and upper portion of the breast.

The people were admitted early the same afternoon, and from that time until twelve M., the next day, Tuesday, the 25th, a continuous stream passed through the hall. At one o'clock the remains were placed upon the hearse, and an immense procession escorted them to the Hudson River Railroad Depot, whence they departed for Albany.

ALBANY, SYRACUSE, AND BUFFALO, At every point between the two cities, great concourses of people assembled, and when the train arrived at the State Capital of New York, a procession accompanied the remains to the Capitol building, where they were placed in State. At four P. M., on the 26th, they were again borne to the funeral car, and the train departed on its solemn journey to the Great West. Syracuse, Buffalo, and each town and village on the line paid their last tribute to the dead statesman.


The same sad duties were rendered by the people of Ohio, the body being transferred from the train at Cleveland, and also at Columbus, where it was placed in the Capitol for several hours, giving thousands of the citizens an opportunity to view all that remained of A BRAHAM LINCOLN.


In Indiana, the State in which Mr. Lincoln had spent some ten years of his early life, the most intense exhibitions of grief and respect were evinced. Gov. MORTON, a warm personal friend of the deceased President, joined the train at the State line, his suite consisting of his staff and all the chief officers of the State, military and civil. On Sunday morning, April 30th, the train reached Indianapolis, and though a heavy rain prevailed, the entire population of the city and the adjacent country were gathered to receive the remains. The coffin was borne beneath a magnificent arch, into the Capitol, and placed under the great dome, the splendid structure being festooned with black. The preparations here were of the most expensive and elaborate nature, and were said to be by far the most elegant and appropriate witnessed on the entire route. All through the Sabbath the people passed in an almost endless line by the coffin, the scene proving one of most extraordinary solemnity. All the children of the Sundayschools were admitted, and the City Councils of Cincinnati and Louisville, together with Gov. BRAMLETTE of Kentucky, were present.


At midnight of Sunday, April 30th, the remains were escorted to the cars at Indianapolis, and the train left for Chicago, where it arrived at eleven A. M., May 1st, 1865.

Minute guns and the tolling of bells announced the arrival of the remains, and the multitude stood in profound silence, with uncovered heads, as the coffin was slowly borne to the funeral car, under a grand arch across Park place. The arch was fifty-one feet in span, sixteen feet deep and forty feet high, its centre draped with the national flags and mourning emblems, and containing several inscriptions, including one as follows:“We Mourn the Man with Heaven-born Principles.” The remains were conveyed to the rotunda of the Court-house. Among the mottoes was “Illinois clasps to her bosom her slain but glorified son.” The number of people in the city at the time the processsion moved was not less than a quarter of a million.


At eight o'clock in the evening of May 1st, the coffin was again closed, and borne to the cars on its journey to Springfield, the earthly resting-place of its sacred treasure. The next morning, May 2d, the funeral train reached the city, and the corpse was conveyed to the State Capitol and revealed to the view of the dead President's late fellowcitizens. The grief expressed here surpassed that of all other communities. To thousands of the people MR. LINCOLN had been personally known, and their affection and sorrow for his untimely death was of a deeper nature than that of any of his countrymen. Bells were tolled, funeral guns fired, and a universal woe overspread the city. Many thousand people visited the Capitol during the day and night.


The funeral took place on the fourth of May, and at noon twenty-one guns were fired, and afterward single guns at intervals of ten minutes. About noon, the remains were brought from the State House and placed in a hearse, which was surrounded by a magnificent crown of flowers. Meanwhile a chorus of hundreds of voices, accompanied by a brass band, sang the following hymn from the portico of the Capitol.

“ Children of the heavenly King,
Let us journey as we sing."

The funeral procession was under the imediate direction of Major-General Hooker, Marshal-in-chief, BrigadierGeneral Cook and staff, and Brevet Brigadier-General Oakes and staff. The military and the firemen made a fine appearance. The guard of honor consisted of General Barnard; Rear-Admiral Davis; and Generals McCallum, Ramsay, Caldwell, Thomas, Howe, Townsend, and Eakin; and Captain Field, of the Marine Corps. The relations and family friends of the deceased were in carriages. Among them were Judge Davis, of the Supreme Court,


the officiating clergyman, Bishop Simpson, Dr. Gurley, and others. In the procession were the Governors of several States, members of Congress, the State and municipal authorities, and delegations from adjoining States. The long line of civilians was closed by the Free Masons, Odd Fellows, and citizens at large, including colored per

The hearse was immediately followed by the horse formerly belonging to Mr. Lincoln. Its body was covered with black cloth, trimmed with silver fringe. Never before was there so large a military and civic display in Springfield. There were immense crowds of people in the immediate vicinity of the Capitol to see the procession as it passed, and the people for several miles occupied the side-ways.

The procession arrived at Oak Ridge Cemetery at one o'clock On the left of the vault in which the remains of the President were deposited immediately on their arrival, was a platform on which singers and an instrumental band were in place, and these united in the chanting and singing of appropriate music, including a burial hymn by the deceased President's pastor, the Rev. Dr. Gurley. On the right was the speaker's stand, appropriately draped with mourning

The vault is erected at the foot of a knoll in a beautiful part of the grounds, which contains forest trees of all varieties. It has a doric gable resting on pilasters, the main wall being rustic. The vault is fifteen feet high and about the same in width, with semi-circular wings of bricks projecting from the hill-sides. The material is limestone, procured at Joliet, Illinois. Directly inside of the ponderous doors is an iron grating. The interior walls are covered with black velvet, dotted with evergreens. In the centre of the velvet is a foundation of brick, capped with a marble slab, on which the coffin rests. The front of the vault is trimmed with evergreens. The dead

« PreviousContinue »