Page images

to the command of the Army of the Potomac. After the review, General McCall issued the following order:

“Soldiers of the Pennsylvania Reserves! This day must be recognized as a propitious inauguration of your future military history. You have this day passed under the scrutin. izing inspection of the Commanding General of the Army of the Potomac, in whose ability to successfully prosecute this war, the confidence of the country is reposed. You have passed in review before the President of the United States and his cabinet; both the General and the President have expressed to me their most unqualified approbation of your soldier-like appearance in review, and of the discipline thus manifestly shown to exist in the corps.

“It now rests with you, officers of the Pennsylvania Reserves, to carry out to perfection the work so well begun. Upon you devolves the care of your men; let that be unre. mitting. Let every attention to their wants, temper the rigid discipline necessary to the formation of a soldier, and with one heart we will uphold the flag of our State, and place her name among the foremost in the cause of our common country.”

On the 21st of August, Captain Edward McPherson resigned his commission as captain of company K, First regiment, to take effect on the last day of that month. The people of the Seventeenth Congressional District of Pennsyl. vania had chosen Captain McPherson to be their representative in Congress, and earnestly desired him to take his seat in the House, at the opening of the session in December. Believing that he could not, without a violation of law, be mustered into the service of the United States, and at the same time hold his seat in Congress, he resigned his commission in the company; subsequently, he was appointed a volunteer aid on the staff of General McCall. His company parted with him reluctantly, and at a meeting, the men passed resolutions expressive of regret at his departure, and of respect for his ability as an officer and character as a gentleman.

Lieutenant John F. Bailey assumed command of McPherson's company, and on the 2d of September was promoted to the captaincy.

On the 28th of August, General McCall addressed a note to General McClellan, in which he stated that he had posted a detachment of cavalry and a battery of artillery at Great Falls, and that a report, just received from the officer in command, informs him that, at five o'clock on the previous evening, the enemy fired on his pickets at Sand Ferry; also, that later, a negro appeared at the water edge on the oppo. site side of the river, bearing a white flag, and said “a large force of the enemy had just encamped half a mile from the river." The officer adds: “We have heard their drums and seen their fires.” The report of the negro was in a short time verified by scouts sent out from the headquarters

of the army.

The regiments in camp were ordered to be in readiness to march to the relief of the out-post at Great Falls, should the enemy attempt to cross the river. Finding, however, that the fords were guarded, the enemy's force retired without making any further demonstrations.

Lieutenant Benjamin F. Fisher, of company II, and Lieutenant David Wonderly, company K, of the Third regiment, having been thoroughly examined as to their qualifications, were, on the 29th of August, detailed on duty in the Signal Corps. These officers subsequently rose to great distinction in the signal service, and were attached to the headquarters

of the army.

In a report of the condition, strength and discipline of the command, made on the 2d of September, 1861, to General McClellan, commanding the Army of the Potomac, General

McCall says:

The First regiment, Colonel R. Biddle Roberts, reports an aggregate of nine hundred and twenty men; two of the companies are below the minimum standard of number; all are armed with the old altered flintlock musket, against which the feelings of prejudice and distrust are almost universal. The lank companies have been promised the Belgian rifle, within a short period.

The Third regiment, Colonel Horatio G. Sickel, is armed with the modern musket; the flank companies having rifles. The aggregate number on the rolls is eight hundred and ninety-seven men. An officer has been detailed to recruit. The men are well equipped, and the condition of the regiment is good.

The Fourth regiment, Colonel Robert G. March, with an aggregate list of eight hundred and forty-seven men, is variously armed; the flank companies have rifles; company K, has the Harper's Ferry musket; the other companies, the old altered fiint-lock musket. This regiment, when encamped near Baltimore, was drilled in street firing to the neglect of the battalion drill, which is now being steadily practiced.

The Fifth regiment, Colonel S. G. Simmons, numbering nine hun. dred and thirty-two men, is armed with the Springfield rifles and Har. per's Ferry muskets. The colonel complains of the uniform as being inferior, and reports that there is need of full equipments of regular uniform. He has not yet drawn overcoats. His regiment is very well drilled.

The Sixth regiment, Colonel W. W. Rickets, numbers nine hun. dred and fifty-four men. An officer will leave to-morrow on recruiting service. Some of the companies have rifles; the others the Harper's Ferry muskets; one hundred and sixteen members of this regiment are sick. Most of the cases are of typhoid fever, the type of which is becoming milder ; the fever is attributed to the unhcalthiness of their location when encamped around Washington City. The colonel and lieutenant-colonel are both disabled by sickness. The regiment is very well drilled.

The Seventh regiment, Colonel E. B. Harvey, is performing picket duty at Great Falls. It numbers nine hundred and two mer, and is armed with improved rifles and muskets. The internal condition of the regiment is good. It is very well drilled.

The Eighth regiment, Colonel George L. Hays, numbers eight hundred and ninety men, armed with rifles and muskets of improved patterns. An officer is out recruiting for it. The men are well equipped and well drilled.

The Ninth regiment, Colonel Jackson, lacks sixty-three men of its complement. Company A, has Sharp's breach-loading rifles without bayonets, which were furnished by the men. Company B, has Springfield rifle muskets; the other companies have the altered flint-locks. The men have no overcoats, and the colonel says, that after sending several requisitions for them, to Harrisburg, he, this morning, sent one to the proper bureau in Washington. They are also short of blankets. The colonel reports, that the men have great distrust of their guns, and that that will be a source of weakness in case of active operations. The drill and discipline are very good.

The Tenth regiment, Colonel John S. McCalmont, have the altered flint-lock, except the flank companies, which have rifles. Complaint is made that requisitions for overcoats and blankets have not been filled. The regiment consists of nine hundred and fifty-two officers and men. It is well drilled.

The Eleventh regiment, Colonel T. F. Gallagher, nine hundred and forty-two strong, is armed with the altered flint-locks, except the flank companies, which have rifles. The supply of blankets cover the original number of men enlisted, but recruits are unsupplied. The members of this regiment have great aversion to their old muskets. They are very well drilled.

The Twelfth regiment consists of nine companies, with a total of eight hundred and sixty-two men ; the flank companies have the Minnie rifles, and the other seven, the Harper's Ferry muskets. There are several vacancies in the company officers, caused by resignation and sickness, which impairs the efficiency of the regiment.

Captain Easton's battery consists of four guns, two of which are twelve pounders, and two are twenty-four pounders. Captain Cooper has four guns, of which two are six pounders, James' rified, and two are six pounder smooth-bore ; a section of this battery is on detached duty at Great Falls. Captain Matthew's battery consists of four guns, six pounders.

In addition, there is a company of cavalry from New York, attached to the brigade. It consists of seventy-five men.

The aggregate force of the brigade is not up to the maximum fixed by law, but the work of recruiting is going on. The command is in good condition, The sick list is larger than at any former period, being five hundred and ninety-eight out of an aggregate of ten thousand four hundred and sixty-five; of the sick nine are commissioned officers, and seventy-three non-commissioned officers. The proportion of deaths is small. The discipline of the camp is good, the absentees few, and the promptness, whenever in the discharge of duty, commendable.

Information was received from General Smith, that the enemy was moving to the right and would appear in force on the river. To meet this movement, General McCall issued an order to his command, early in the morning of the 4th of September, to be in readiness to move at a moment's notice, with two days' cooked rations in their haversacks. A despatch from General McClellan was read at dress parade, which informed General McCall, that he would cer. tainly be attacked within forty-eight hours. The officers and men received the report with joy and exultation; they put themselves in readiness for battle and impatiently waited for the order to march. The Seventh regiment with a detachment of cavalry and a section of artillery, was sent to Great Falls on the 24th of August, and remained there guarding the fords. Several times during the week, the pickets were fired on by the enemy's scouts, but with no effect. At half-past eight o'clock on the morning of the 4th of September, the enemy opened on the picket station with two twenty-four pound howitzers, and three rifled cannon, from the Virginia side of the river. The section of artillery was at once trained on the enemy, the distance, however, being beyond the range of the guns, the shots fell short of the enemy's position. Colonel Harvey immediately reported the facts to General McCall, who sent forward two Whitworth rifle guns of great range, and the Eighth regiment of infantry, to support the Seventh. The enemy, however, after throwing about fifty shells, without doing any damage, ceased firing at eleven o'clock and withdrew from the river. The reinforcements were ordered back to camp, where, with their companions, they grieved because all prospects of a battle had now vanished.

The Reserves constructed a square redoubt at Tenallytown, mounting twelve guns, which was named Fort Pennsylvania; they also built two lunettes and named them Fort Gaines and Fort Cameron; these works formed part of the fortifications for the defense of Washington.

On the 10th of September, Governor Curtin, presented to the regiments of the Reserve Corps, the stands of colors provided in accordance with a resolution passed by the Legislature of Pennsylvania, appropriating funds donated by the “Cincinnati Society" of Philadelphia, for the purchase of flags for the Pennsylvania volunteer regiments. The ceremonies of the presentation were the most imposing that, up to that time, had been witnessed in the army. The regiments were formed at nine o'clock in the morning, on the division parade-ground, in the following order, commencing on the right: The Fifth regiment, Colonel Simmons; the First regiment, Colonel Roberts; the Eighth regiment, Colonel Hays; the Third regiment, Colonel Sickel; the Seventh

« PreviousContinue »