Page images

give it me, saying that I had no business with it. I replied that I had something to do with rogues in my life; that they might writé almost any thing and call it a despatch! This made a little flurry. Just at this moment stepped in a man who, in a loud voice, proclaimed himself assistantquartermaster of the United States, and demanded information as to who was interfering with and preventing transportation! I looked at him a moment, measuring his metal, and then replied, it was myself. He responded, that he would not have country colonels interfering with his business, and blustered considerably. My field officers now entered. I thereupon said to this blustering major, that I had possession of the locomotive and cars, and that he must show me better authority than he had yet shown to induce me to change my determination. I then wrote a despatch to General Cameron, Secretary of War, stating our condition—their refusal to take us comfortably, and to take our horses and baggage. They soon presented us with a reply, purporting to be from Secretary Cameron, ordering us forward. I ordered a certified copy of it, which they refused. I then left the office, and returned to the cars, and waited till nearly nine o'clock, still refusing to move, when the aforementioned United States major, or quartermaster, came to me, and said they would furnish three more cars, that we might leave at nine o'clock. This was done, and we finally took our departure for Washington, where we arrived about one o'clock next morning.”

The necessity for the presence of these troops at the Capital was so urgent, that some of the regiments were forwarded before they had been mustered into the service of the United States. Patriotism, a devotion to the Union that knew no turning back, was the bond that bound the men together in solid regiments. Transported in open cars, exposed to storm and rain, from Harrisburg to Baltimore, these soldiers of the Union, forgetting personal comfort, thought only of defending their Government against the assaults of traitors. Not a man deserted, but with full ranks, in their camps on Carroll Hill and on the banks of the Potomac, the companies presented themselves for muster.

On the 2nd of August, the Third, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth regiments were ordered to march from their quarters in and about the city of Washington, to Tenallytown, a village six miles northwest from the Capital. At this place General McCall directed that a camp should be formed, at which all the regiments of the Corps were ordered to report. The Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh regiments arrived from Washington in the new camp, on the 5th; on the 8th, the Fifth regiment; and on the 13th of August, the Twelfth regiment, arriving from Harrisburg, reported at Tenally. town,

Soon after the arrival of six regiments at Tenallytown, General McCall was informed by the commander of the army, that the Reserve regiments would not be organized into a division, as was contemplated by the State authorities of Pennsylvania. General McCall appealed to the Secretary of War: protesting that the troops had been raised, the regiments formed, and the organization of the Corps entered upon, with the explicit understanding that the unity of the command would be maintained, when its services should be transferred to the National Government. Secretary Cameron entertained the appeal with favor, and respected the arrangement of the State with the regiments. The detached regi. ments in Western Virginia, at Harper's Ferry, and at Annapolis, were ordered to join the command at Tenallytown, where they were organized as a division of the Army of the Potomac, consisting of three brigades, which was known as “McCall's Division."

On Saturday, the 28th of July, in obedience to orders issued from Major-General Dix, Colonel Roberts marched with the First regiment from Carroll Hill to Annapolis. Six companies of the regiment were quartered in the Naval Academy in that city, and four companies were stationed at Annapolis Junction. The regiment was detailed to guard

[ocr errors]

the railroad from Annapolis to the junction with the Baltimore and Washington road. The frequent seizures of drugs, medicines, and other contraband goods from smugglers, who were engaged in unlawful traffic with the rebels, south of the Potomac, gave evidence that these new troops were vigilant and reliable guards. In his report of operations on the line of the Annapolis railroad, General Dix commends the conduct of both officers and men of the First regiment, for the manner in which they performed the special duty to which he had assigned them.

Soon after Colonel Roberts took command at Annapolis, a party of negroes arrived in the harbor in a small boat and were picked up by the revenue cutter “Forward.” The negrocs said they were the slaves of a disloyal owner; that they had stolen the boat from their master and had made their escape. The captain of the cutter made application to turn them over to Colonel Roberts, who, not being allowed, by orders from his superiors, to admit slaves into his camp, nor to return them to their masters, applied to General Dix, commanding the department, for instructions. The fact that the boat and men had been taken by a revenue cutter, made it necessary to refer the question of disposition to the Secretary of the Treasury. A full and complete statement of the case was submitted through the proper channel, to Secretary Chase, but no answer was ever received by the captain of the “Forward.” By a law of Congress he was not permitted to discharge his captives; they were consuming rations and occupying space on the cutter that were required for other purposes, yet no one would receive the prisoners or authorize any disposition to be made of them. Finally, the men were allowed to escape from the vessel at Philadel. phia, without any official notice.

The four companies of the First regiment stationed at Annapolis Junction, were presented with an elegantly finished flag, the gift of the loyal ladies of Prince George and Montgomery counties in Maryland. The ceremonies of the presentation, in the presence of a large assemblage

[ocr errors]

of citizens, was the first evidence to the troops that they were not surrounded wholly by enemies.

On the 30th of August the regiment was relieved from duty at Annapolis, and on the following day joined the camp at Tenallytown.

The Thirteenth regiment marched from Harrisburg on the 8th of August, and taking transportation on the Northern Central and Baltimore and Ohio railroads, reported for duty to General Thomas of General Bank's army at Sandy Hook. This regiment and the Second, remained in the army commanded by General Banks until the close of September. They marched from Sandy Hook through Point of Rocks, Jefferson, and Hyattstown, to Darnestown; thence on the 25th of September to Tenallytown, where they joined their companions in the army of the Potomac.

The Fourteenth regiment of the Reserve Corps, which was the First artillery, had not yet been organized at the time the corps was called into service. Eight companies were recruited and three of the batteries were organized by the State and sent to Tenallytown. The other companies were ordered to Washington, where they were organized by the War Department.

The eight batteries of this regiment were never in immediate conjoined service; they were not permanently attached to General McCall's command as a constituent portion of the Reserve Corps, but were detached and assigned to other divisions. Some were sent out of the Army of the Potomac to serve in other campaigns. The three original batteries only were retained; battery A, commanded by Captain Hezekiah Easton; battery B, Captain James H. Cooper; and battery G, Captain Mark Kerns. In April, 1862, battery C, Fifth United States Artillery, Captain Truman Seymour, was assigned to McCall's division, in compliance with a general order, that to each division of three brigades there should be assigned three volunteer and one United States regular batteries.

The Fifteenth regiment, (the First Pennsylvania Cavalry,)

was organized after the arrival of the infantry regiments at Tenallytown. About the middle of August five companies in Camp Curtin, the “ Juniata Cavalry,” company A, of Juniata county, commanded by Captain John K. Robinson; the “Lower Merion Troop," company B, of Montgomery county, Captain Owen Jones; the “Mimin County Cavalry,” company C, of Mifflin county, Captain J. P. Taylor; the “Smith's Cavalry,” company D, of Clinton county, Captain William S. Gile, and the “Centre County Cavalry,” company E, of Centre county, Captain Jonathan Wolf, organized by electing Captain David H. Hastings, of the United States Army, colonel, and Captain Owen Jones, major. Captain Hastings declined to accept the colonelcy of the regiment only half organized. Major Jones took command of the battalion and proceeded to Washington, where he was soon joined by three other companies from Harrisburg; the “Ringgold Cavalry," company F, of Green county, Captain Josiah H. Ray; the “Blair County Cavalry," company G, of Blair county, Captain David Gardener, and company H, Captain Theodore Strick.

These eight companies remained in camp near Washington until the middle of September, with a deficiency of organization that seemed to threaten every effort to form a regiment. The field and company officers were unskilled in military tactics and discipline, and though quite anxious to become soldiers, and to make their men such, they fully realized their deficiency and anxiously sought for assistance in the election of an experienced officer to command the regiment. Finally, General McCall in co-operation with Governor Curtin and his advisers, secured the services of Captain George D. Bayard, of the regular army, who was elected by the officers, and commissioned by the Governor of Pennsylvania, colonel of the regiment. Two companies from a disbanded organization, were then attached to the regiment, company I, Captain George T. Work, and com. pany K, Captain Joseph H. Williams; its organization was then completed. Captain Jacob Higgins was elected lieu

« PreviousContinue »