Page images

of the city and the adjacent country were gathered to receive the remains. The coffin was borne beneath a magnificent arch, into the Capitol, and placed under the great dome, the splendid structure being festooned with

The preparations here were of the most expensive and elaborate nature, and were said to be by far the most elegant and appropriate witnessed on the entire route All through the Sabbath the people passed in an almost endless line by the coffin, the scene proving one of most extraordinary solemnity. All the children of the Sundayschools were admitted, and the City Councils of Cincinnati and Louisville, together with Gov. BRANLETTE of Kentucky, were present.

ARRIVAL AT CHICAGO. At midnight of Sunday, April 30th, the remains were escorted to the cars at Indianapolis, and the train left for Chicago, where it arrived at eleven A. M., May 1st, 1865.

Minute guns and the tolling of bells announced the arrival of the remains, and the multitude stood in profound silence, with uncovered heads, as the coffin was slowly burne to the funeral car, under a grand arch across Park place. The arch was fifty-one feet in span, sixteen feet deep and forty feet high, its centre draped with the national flags and mourning emblems, and containing several inscriptions, including one as follows: "We Mourn the Man with Heaven-born Principles.” The remains were conveyed to the rotunda of the Court-house. Among the mottoes was Illinois clasps to her boson her slain but glorified son.” The number of people in the city at the time the processsion moved was not less than a quarter of a million.

ARRIVAL AT SPRINGFIELD. At eight o'clock in the evening of May 1st, the coffin was again closed, and borne to the cars on its journey to

[ocr errors]

Springfield, the earthly resting-place of its sacred treasure. The next morning, May 2d, the funeral train reached the city, and the corpse was conveyed to the State Capitol and revealed to the view of the dead President's late fellowcitizens. The grief expressed here surpassed that of all other communities. To thousands of the people MR. LINCOLN had been personally known, and their affection and sorrow for his untimely death was of a deeper nature than that of any of his countrymen. Bells were tolled, funeral guns fired, and a universal woe overspread the city. Many thousand people visited the Capitol during the day and night.


The funeral took place on the fourth of May, and at noon twenty-one guns were fired, and afterward single guns at intervals of ten minutes. About noon, the remains were brought from the State House and placed in a hearse, which was surrounded by a magnificent crown of flowers. Meanwhile a chorus of hundreds of voices, accompanied by a brass band, sang the following hymn from the portico of the Capitol.

“Children of the heavenly King,
Let us journey as we sing."

The funeral procession was under the imediate direction of Major-General Hooker, Marshal-in-chief, BrigadierGeneral Cook and staff, and Brevet Brigadier-General Oakes and staff. The military and the firemen made a fine appearance. The guard of honor consisted of General Barnard; Rear-Admiral Davis; and Generals McCallum, Ramsay, Caldwell, Thomas, Howe, Townsend, and Eakin; and Captain Field, of the Marine Corps. The relations and family friends of the deceased were in carriages. Among them were Judge Davis, of the Supreme Court,


the officiating clergyman, Bishop Simpson, Dr. Gurley, and others. In the procession were the Governors of several States, members of Congress, the State and municipal authorities, and delegations from adjoining States. The long line of civilians was closed by the Free Masons, Odd Fellows, and citizens at large, including colored per

The hearse was immediately followed by the horse formerly belonging to Mr. Lincoln. Its body was covered with black cloth, trimmed with silver fringe. Never before was there so large a military and civic display in Springfield. There were immense crowds of people in the immediate vicinity of the Capitol to see the procession as it passed, and the people for several miles occupied the side-ways.

The procession arrived at Oak Ridge Cemetery at o'clock. On the left of the vault in which the remains of the President were deposited immediately on their arrival, was a platform on which singers and an instrumental band were in place, and these united in the chanting and singing of appropriate music, including a burial hymn by the deceased President's pastor, the Rev. Dr. Gurley. On the right was the speaker's stand, appropriately draped with mourning

The vault is erected at the foot of a knoll in a beautiful part of the grounds, which contains forest trees of all varieties. It has a doric gable resting on pilasters, the main wall being rustic. The vault is fifteen feet high and about the same in width, with semi-circular wings of bricks projecting from the hill-sides. The material is limestone, procured at Joliet, Illinois. Directly inside of the ponderous doors is an iron grating. The interior walls are covered with black velvet, dotted with evergreens. In the centre of the velvet is a foundation of brick, capped with a marble slab, on which the coffin rests. The front of the vault is trimmed with evergreens. The dead march in “Saul” was sung, accompanied by the band, as the remains were deposited. Thousands of persons were assembled at the cemetery before the arrival of the procession, occupying the succession of green hills, and the scene was one of the most intense solemnity. The landscape was beautiful in the light of an unclouded sun.

The religious exercises were commenced by the singing of a dirge. Then followed the reading of appropriate portions of the Scriptures and a prayer. After a hymn sung by the choir, the Rev. Mr. Hubbard read the last inaugural of President Lincoln. Another dirge was sung by the choir, when Bishop Simpson delivered the funeral oration. It was in the highest degree solemn, eloquent, and patriotic, and portions of it were applauded. Then followed another dirge and hymn, when benediction was pronounced by the Rev. Dr. Gurley. The procession was then re-formed, and returned to the city.


We have followed the remains of President Lincoln from Washington, the scene of his assassination, to Springfield, his former home and now to be his final restingplace. He had been absent from that city ever since he left it in February, 1861, for the National Capital, to be inaugurated as President of the United States. We have seen him lying in state in the Executive Mansion, where the obsequies were attended by numerous mourners, some of them clothed with the highest public honors and responsibilities which our republican institutions can bestow, and by the diplomatic representatives of foreign Govern. ments. We have followed the remains from Washington through Baltimore, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, New York Albany, Buffalo, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Chicago to Springfield, a distance in circuit of fifteen hundred or eighteen hundred miles. On the route millions of people have appeared to manifest by every means of which they were capable, their deep sense of the public loss, and their appreciation of the many virtues which adorned the life of Abraham Lincoln. All classes, without distinction of politics, spontaneously united in the posthumous honors. All hearts seemed to beat as one at the bereavement; and now funeral processions are ended, our mournful duty of escorting the mortal remains of Abraham Lincoln hither is performed. We have seen them deposited in the tomb. The bereaved friends, with subdued and grief-stricken hearts, have taken their adieu and turn their faces homeward, ever to remember the affecting and impressive scenes which they have witnessed. The injunction, so often repeated on the way, “ Bear him gently to his rest,” has been obeyed, and the great heart of the nation throbs heavily at the portals of the tomb.


« FELLOW-CITIZENS OF ILLINOIS AND OF MANY PARTS OF OUR ENTIRE UNION :-Near the capital of this large and growing State of Illinois, in the midst of this beautiful grove, and at the open mouth of the vault which has just received the remains of our fallen chieftain, we gather to pay a tribute of respect and drop the tears of sorrow around the ashes of the mighty dead. A little more than four years ago, from bis plain and quiet home in yonder city, he started, receiving the parting words of the concourse of friends who gathered around him, and in the midst of the dropping of the gentle shower he told of the pains of parting from the place where his children had been born and his home had been made so pleasant by early recollections. And as he left he made an earnest request in the hearing of some who are present, that as he was about to enter upon responsibilities which he believed to be greater than any which had fallen upon any man since the days of Washington, the people would offer up their prayers that God would aid and sustain him in the work they had given him to do. His company left your quiet city. But as it went snares were in waiting for the Chief Magistrate. Scarcely did he escape the dangers of the way or the hands of the assassin as he neared Washington, and I believe he escaped only through the vigilance of the officers and the prayers of the people; so that the blow was suspended for more than four

« PreviousContinue »