Page images

This dominant trait of his character has been the wonder and admiration of his friends as they beheld his tender solicitous care for the gray-haired mother, his devotion to those he honored with the name of wife, his tender watchful care for his only child and the regardful concern and sympathetic interest in those whom he classed as friends. This trait made him to be recognized as a man in whom the fullest confidence could be reposed in whose bosom friendship could not be betrayed. This commendable trait bound to him, naturally, numerous

[graphic][merged small]

friends, staunch and true. No deaf ear was turned to any appeal made in the name of friendship; nothing he could do was left undone at the behest of a friend; his time, his energy, his effort, influence, his credit, all were at the disposal of him who in his thought was worthy to be called a friend.

Let the drum sound a muffled note, the evening of life has come, his day is done, his sun is set. His spirit has taken its flight to its God. But his memory triumphant like the streamers and afterglow of an Italian sunset on a golden day, remains to remind those of us who look up and higher that a right life may be rightly lived.


J. C. B. Harkness, Pearsall, Texas I was born in Green county, Alabama, July 23, 1842. Enlisted in the Confederate army in March, 1861, in Company “C” 11thAlabama Regiment. Was assigned to the army of Northern Virginia, commanded by Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Engaged in

more than twenty battles. Was appointed captain of my company to date from the great Battle of the Crater at Petersburg, Va. Recom mended by Generals Mahone and Sanders. I remained in the service until the close of

Came to Texas in 1874, and went up the trail to Ogallala for Slaughter &

Woodard in 1876, with AlJ. C. B. HARKNESS

len Harris in charge. Owing

to the mode of handling cattle like an army it was no new job to me. Returned to Frio county in 1877, and was elected sheriff of Frio county in 1878 and served in that capacity for ten years. Waiting in Pearsall for Gabriel to “toot his horn" but not by invitation from me.


the war.


The following account is by J. M. Daugherty, of Daugherty, Texas, a charter member of the the Old Trail Drivers. He is better known to all cattlemen as Uncle Jim Daugherty, and is one of the best known Texas cattlemen still in the business. At present he is sole owner of the Figure 2 Ranch, located in Culberson and Hudspeth counties, Texas, estimated to be the largest and best equipped ranch in Texas. He maintains his headquarters at Daugherty, Texas. Uncle Jim has made many trail drives, starting as a boy in his teens in 1886 and continuing until 1887, during which time he has driven many trails and delivered many herds to all parts of Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado:

“In the spring of 1866 I made my first trail drive. Starting from Denton county, Texas, with a herd of about 500 steers and five cow hands and myself, I crossed Red River at a crossing known at that time as Preston. From there

J. M. DAUGHERTY I drove to Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, and from Fort Gibson I drove to Baxter Springs, Kansas, close to the Kansas and Indian Territory line. I had started to Sedalia, Missouri, where I intended shipping the cattle by rail to St. Louis. On arriving at Baxter Springs I found that there had been several herds ahead of me that had been disturbed by what we called at that time Kansas Jayhawkers, and in one instance the Jayhawkers had killed the owner, taken the herd, and ran the rest of the cowboys off. This herd belonged to Kaynaird and was gathered in the southern part of the Choctaw Nation in the Indian Territory.

After hearing this news I decided to stop and lay up for awhile, and stopped with the herd on what was then known as the Neutral Strip, a strip of land about twenty miles wide that ran across the northern part of the Indian Territory, next to the Kansas line. Here I left the herd and my cowboys and I started to ride alone up the trail to investigate conditions.


I rode as far as Fort Scott, Kansas, and there I met a man by the name of Ben Keys, whom I told I had a herd on the Neutral Strip I would like to sell. He agreed to buy them if I would make deliverance at Fort Scott, Kansas. I returned to the Neutral Strip and we started driving the herd north along the Kansas-Missouri line, sometimes in the state of Kansas and sometimes in Missouri. From the information that I had received regarding the big risk we were taking by trying to drive through, we were always on the lookout for trouble.

Some twenty miles south of Fort Scott, Kansas, and about four o'clock one afternoon a bunch of fifteen or twenty Jayhawkers came upon us. One of my cowboys, John Dobbins by name, was leading the herd and I was riding close to the leader. Upon approach of the Jayhawkers John attempted to draw his gun and the Jayhawkers shot him dead in his saddle. This caused the cattle to stampede and at the same time they covered me with their guns and I was forced to surrender. The rest of the cowboys stayed with the herd, losing part of them in the stampede. The Jayhawkers took me to Cow Creek which was near by, and there tried me for driving cattle into their country, which they claimed were infested with ticks which would kill their cattle. I was found guilty without any evidence, they not even having one of my cattle for evidence. Then they began to argue among themselves what to do with me. Some wanted to hang me while others wanted to whip me to death. I, being a young man in my teens and my sympathetic talk about being ignorant of ticky cattle of the south diseasing any of the cattle in their country caused one of the big Jayhawkers to take my part. The balance were strong for hanging me on the spot, but through his arguments they finally let me go.

After I was freed and had joined the herd, two of my cowboys and I slipped back and buried John Dobbins where he fell. After we had buried him we cut down a

small tree and hewed out a head and footboard and marked his grave.

Then we slipped back to the herd. This being soon after the close of the Civil War, the Jayhawkers were said to be soldiers mustered out of the Yankee army. They were nothing more than a bunch of cattle rustlers and were not interested about fever ticks coming into their country but used this just as a pretense to kill the men with the herds and steal the cattle or stampede the herds. After rejoining the herd I found that during the stampede I had lost about one hundred and fifty head of cattle, which was a total loss to me. I drove the balance of the herd back to the Neutral Strip, and after resting a day or two, went back to Fort Scott, and reported to Mr. Keys what had happened. Mr. Keys sent a man back to the herd with me to guide us to Fort Scott. On my return to the herd with the guide we started the drive to Fort Scott the second time. The guide knew the country well, which was very thinly settled. We would drive the herd at night and would lay up at some secluded spot during the day. After driving in this manner for five days and five nights we reached Fort Scott about daybreak of the fifth night and penned the cattle in a high board corral adjoining a livery stable, which completely hid them from the public view. We put our horses in the livery stable, and went to a place Mr. Keys had provided for us to sleep and get something to eat, as we had left our chuck wagon a day behind us on the trail. As soon as the cattle were penned Mr. Keys paid me for them. Then we ate our breakfast and slept all day. When darkness fell we saddled our horses and started back over the trail to Texas. I returned to Texas without any further incident worth noting, and continued to drive the trail, rarely missing a year that I did not make a drive.

« PreviousContinue »