Page images

together, which made about 9,000 head of cattle. There were to be 4,000 head of picked cattle to be cut out of this herd. We started cutting out this number in the afternoon. By evening we had 500 head cut out, and my boss and his men took these cattle to hold that night. The other two bosses and their men took the remaining 8,500 cattle to stand guard around. At sundown when we bedded the cattle down for the night there were eleven trail herds in sight. Along in the night a terrible storm came up. It was the worst that I ever experienced. The thunder, lightning and rain was awful. All the cattle were turned loose except small cuts we were holding. The following morning cattle were dotting the plains in every direction as far as the eye could see. All the trail herds were mixed up. After we had finished our breakfast we started to make the big roundup. There were about 120 cowboys. When we had the roundup made we had about 33,000 head in one bunch. We worked about ten days before we got the cattle shaped up to start on our way. One of the herds went to Caldwell, Kansas, and one to Cheyenne, Wyoming. The herd I was with went north of Cheyenne.

From Doan's Store we went on through the Indian Nation to Dodge City, Kansas, and then on to Ogallala, Nebraska, where we crossed to the South Platte River. We passed through Fort Fetimon and Fort Laramie and went northwest into Wyoming. We were on the trail four and one-half months, and had to stand guard every night.

I now own a cow ranch near Williams, Arizona, and I have been here twenty-eight years.

GEORGE T. REYNOLDS George T. Reynolds was born in Montgomery, Alabama, February 14, 1844, and came to Texas with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. B. W. Reynolds, in 1847, locating in Shelby county. After residing there thirteen years the family moved to Palo Pinto county where he sojourned only a few months, finally locating on Clear Fork of the Brazos in Stephens county, where he engaged in the cattle business. A large herd of cattle was purchased from J. R. Baylor, Mr. Reynolds paying in part with a negro girl, valued at $1,000, and giving the difference in gold. Young Reynolds was then about sixteen years old, and materially assisted his father

GEO. T. REYNOLDS in looking after the cattle. George T. Reynolds secured his first start in business by conveying mails for the government from Palo Pinto to Weatherford. Thirty or forty miles was covered on each trip, and he usually rode his pony at night to avoid meeting hostile Indians. When eighteen years of age he enlisted in the Confederate army and served until 1863, when he was severely wounded and received an honorable discharge to return home. In 1865 he made his first venture as a cattle speculator, purchasing 100 steers which he drove to Mexico and sold at a good profit. In 1866 he rented the Stone Ranch in Throckmorton county and started in the cattle business on a larger scale. In an Indian fight near the south of Double Mountain Fork in 1867 Mr. Reynolds received a serious arrow wound. The shaft was removed but the arrow remained imbedded in the muscles of his back for sixteen years.

Mr. Reynolds was extensively interested in cattle and land in Throckmorton and Shackelford counties, and owned a large ranch in North Dakota, near the mouth of the Yellowstone River. He assisted in the upbuilding of Albany, Texas, organized the First National Bank of


Albany, of which he became president, and was also connected with banks in Oklahoma.

COLONEL ALBERT G. BOYCE The subject of this sketch was born in Travis county, Texas, May 8, 1842, and his life was one of thrilling events in which courage, perseverance and fair dealing were manifested to a marked degree. His parents moved to Texas from Missouri in 1839, and located in Travis

county. In 1853 the family moved to Round Rock, Williamson county, and thence to Burnet county, where the elder Boyce and his four sons established a ranch and farm, and were among the first to turn the sod and plant the Golden corn. Indian raids were frequent in those days and the Boyces could be de

pended upon at all times ALBERT G. BOYCE when courage and endurance

were in demand. At the age of nineteen Albert G. Boyce enlisted in the Confederate army and spent four years of hard soldier life. He first saw service under Captain Nick Darnell, serving in the Mississippi department. He took part in several engagements, was captured at the fall of Arkansas Post, and was imprisoned several months at Fort Douglas, Chicago. He was afterwards exchanged, and was in General Bragg's Division, where he was wounded at Chickamauga in 1863. When able to travel, he was given a parole and walked the long distance back to his home in Texas. He afterwards was in General Ford's command on the Rio Grande, under D. M. Wilson, and was in the last battle of the Civil War, which was fought between Banks' soldiers and the Confederates on the old battlefield of Palo Alto, April 13, 1865, four days after the surrender of General Robert E. Lee.


After the war Colonel Boyce embarked in the cattle business. He was one of the few men who drove a herd of Texas cattle to the California coast in 1867. The trip required two years, and the entire route was fraught with great danger from hostile Indians and bands of outlaws. In 1887 he took up his residence on the Staked Plains of Texas, as manager of the XIT Ranch, the largest in the world, composed of 3,000,000 acres. He was in active management of this ranch for eighteen years.

On December 20, 1870, he was happily married to Miss Annie E. Harris of Round Rock, Texas. Six children were born to this union. Mr. Boyce died at Fort Worth, January 13, 1912.


G. O. Burrow, Del Rio, Texas

I was born in Marshall county, Mississippi, near Holly Springs, in a double log house (it was not a disgrace to be born in a log cabin in those days) in 1853. I lived in Mississippi until 1867. My father came home out of the war, sold what few things the Yankees had left us and moved to Texas.

My first recollections were of war times, as there were two or three battles fought right around where I lived. When we came out to Texas to Ellis county where Farris now stands, I heard so much of the West that I lit out for the West. I went to Fort Griffin where I went to work for Jim Browning, who afterwards became Lieutenant-Governor of the state, but at that time neither he nor I knew that Texas had a capital.

I had my share of hardships running from Indians and being about as scared as a fellow could be, and I had my times running out of saloons and gambling houses when some fool would start to shooting.

I left the Northwest and came to the Leona, in Zavalla county and went to work for Mont Woodward. I went up the trail eighteen different times. My first trip was in 1878 or 1879, I forget which. In 1875 I brought cattle to this county, Val Verde (Kinney then), for Mont Woodward.

I married here in 1877, and raised three children, one boy and two girls. My wife and boy are both dead, and I am just waiting for the Master to call me. The only real enjoyment I have is our reunions of the Old Trail Drivers.



Jesse M. Kilgore, San Antonio, Texas

My father, J. J. Kilgore, came from Mississippi to Texas in 1850, bringing with him slaves and coming through in ox-wagons. He bought land and settled on the Cibolo in Wilson county, five miles above the old Carvajal Crossing. Jose Luis Carvajal was living there then, having settled there in 1830. Afterward other settlers moved in, among them being Isaac Butler, Joe Gouger, Geo. Hutchins, Bill Canfield, Sam Edmontson, and a few other people.

My father went into the stock business and was very successful. His brand, the old JK, was known far and near. When the Civil War broke out he joined Captain Duncan's company in San Antonio and served throughout the war, part of the time as flag-bearer. When he returned home there were not many cattle left.

In 1873 or 1874 a party of us followed a bunch of

« PreviousContinue »