Page images

Jan. 19.-In Carlisle, Pa., Colonel George McFeely, aged 73. Colonel Feely was appointed by President Madison Lieut.-Col. of the 16th Regiment, U. S. Infantry, on the 14th of March, 1812. He commanded at Fort Niagara, which place he defended against a severe attack of the enemy on the 21st of November, 1813. He signalized himself at the attack on Fort George (U. C.) on the 27th of May, 1813, and also at the affair of La Cole Mills (L. C.). On the 18th of May, 1814, he was appointed Colonel of the 25th Regiment, and again distinguished himself at the siege of Fort Erie, and continued in the army until July, 1815, when it was reduced to the peace establishment.

April 15.-At Metrechin, N. J., James Moore, in the 100th year of his age. His death was occasioned by a fall on the ice in January preceding, before which time he was accustomed to walk twelve miles a day.

Jan. 9.- In Washington, D. C., Hon. Henry A. Muhlenburg, a Representative from the Eighth Congressional District of Pennsylvania.

July 4.-In Alexandria, La., James Murray, Esq., Mayor of the town. Mr. Murray was killed while attempting to suppress a disturbance at a barbecue.

Jan. 22. In Brooklyn, N. Y., Patrick O'Donohoe, one of the Irish exiles, who recently escaped to America from Van Dieman's Land.

Jan. 16.- In Norwich, Vt., Captain Alden Partridge. Captain Partridge was engaged for nearly fifty years as an instructor in all the branches of military knowledge, involving the highest mathematical skill. He instructed more than 1,200 pupils, many of them since distinguished in the field as scientific officers. In former years he was the Principal of the West Point Academy, and afterwards established military schools at Middletown, Conn., and Norwich, Vt. Of late years he had been at Brandywine Springs; but that school having been recently destroyed by fire, he was making arrangements to open his school at Bristol College, Buck's County, when, overcome by fatigue and exposure, he died after a few days' illness.

May 26. In Barnwell, S. C., Hon. Angus Patterson, for a long time President of the State Senate of South Carolina.


May 15. In China, Mr. George Perkins, a native of Boston, Mass., and a retired partner of the house of Russel & Co., of Canton and Shanghai. Mr. Perkins was murdered by the Chinese crew of a boat which he had engaged to take him ashore at Macao, from the Hamburg barque Concordia, in which he had just arrived from San Francisco.

Jan. 10. In Brookline, near Boston, Col. Thomas H. Perkins, aged 89. Thomas Handyside Perkins was born in Boston, December 15, 1764. He commenced his commercial life in partnership with his elder brother, James, embarking extensively in the Northwest Coast, Canton, and Calcutta trade, and constituting the first American firm engaged in the China trade. During the war of 1812, he was distinguished, in connection with Otis and Sullivan, as a strenuous opponent of Mr. Madison's administration. In his mercantile and commercial career he acquired a property of more than two millions of dollars. Mr. Perkins was a man of public spirit and great liberality in pecuniary matters, and several of the most splendid charitable institutions are monuments of his munificence.

July 9. In Charleston, S. C., Richard Shubrick Pinckney, U. S. N., aged 57. He was a native of South Carolina, and entered the navy in 1814, and was made commander in 1841. He was engaged in the operations against the Algerine pirates of the Mediterranean, when he received several severe wounds. He commanded the Decatur during the Mexican war.

April 4.. - In Tennessee, Hon. Edwin Polk, late President of the Senate of that State. July 3. Thomas Ritchie, aged 75, a native of Essex County, Va., editor of the Richmond Enquirer and of the Washington Union. He wielded great political influence in his native State.

July. — In Philadelphia, Pa., Jonathan Roberts, aged 83. Mr. Roberts was born in 1771, and early in the present century was elected to the State Legislature, in both branches of which he served with distinction. He was a member of the lower house in Congress from 1811 to 1814, and was an earnest advocate and supporter of the war of 1812. In 1814 he was elected to the U. S. Senate, where he remained until 1821. In 1841 he was appointed Collector of the Port of Philadelphia by President Harrison, from which he was removed by President Tyler.

June 22.-In Key West, Jeremiah M. Scarritt, Captain in the Engineer Corps

of the United States Army, and engineer in charge of the construction of Fort Taylor. He was born in New Hampshire, was appointed to West Point from Illinois, and graduated at the Military Academy in 1833. He served with distinction in the war with Mexico, and was brevetted for gallant and meritorious conduct.

Aug. 15. -In Philadelphia, Pa., Stephen Simpson. Mr. Simpson was, at one period of his life, an editor, and gained considerable celebrity as a political writer, especially by his essays against the United States Bank, over the signature of Brutus, published in Duane's Aurora. During the life of Stephen Girard, he was Cashier of the Girard Bank.

[ocr errors]

June 6.- In Madison County, Ky., Hon. John Speed Smith. He was repeatedly a member of the Kentucky Legislature, and was, from 1821 to 1823, Representative to Congress from his district. He was a highly intelligent and cultivated gentleman.

June 5.-In Parkersburg, Va., Hon. John Fryall Snodgrass, a member of Congress from the Eleventh Congressional District in Virginia, aged 50. He was a native of Berkeley County, Va., and was born on the 2d of March, 1804. He studied law with General Boyd, and practised his profession for five or six years in his native county, and then removed to Parkersburg, where he continued to reside until his death. He was a distinguished and successful lawyer. His first political service was in the Constitutional Convention in Richmond, in 1850, of which, though he spoke but once, he was an influential and valued member. He fell dead while trying a case in court.

March 3.

In New York, Capt. William A. Spencer, U. S. N., aged 61. Capt. Spencer was a son of the Hon. Ambrose Spencer, Chief Justice of the State of New York, and brother of the Hon. John C. Spencer, formerly Secretary of the Treasury. Feb. 25.-- -Near Fayetteville, N. C., Hon. Robert Strange, aged 57, a distinguished and eminent lawyer. He was, at the time of his death, Solicitor for the Fifth Judicial Circuit. Ất an earlier period of his life, he had been Judge of the Superior Court of the State of North Carolina, and was Senator in Congress from 1837 to 1841.


April 6.- In Nashville, Tenn., William Strickland, Esq. Mr. Strickland was the architect of the State Capitol of Tennesse, and of various public buildings in Philadelphia.

June 8.-At Indian Springs, Ga., Brevet-Major George H. Talcott, Captain in the Ordnance Corps U. S. A., aged 43. He was a native of Maryland, was appointed to the service from Delaware, and graduated at West Point in 1831.

Aug. 18. In Virginia, John Taliaferro, aged 35. Mr. Taliaferro was a member of Congress from Virginia, from 1801 to 1803; from 1811 to 1813; from 1824 to 1831; and for the last three years was Librarian in the Treasury Department at Washington.

In South Adams, Mass., Stephen Temple, aged 91. Mr. Temple served for some time in the Revolutionary war, was present at the surrender of Cornwallis, and had often stood guard before the tent of General Washington. He had voted at every Presidential election since the formation of the government.

July 24.In New York State, Hon. John R. Thurman, from 1849 to 1851 a member of Congress from the State of New York. He had also filled several offices of trust in his district.


Jan. 18. In New Orleans, Judah Touro, aged 78. He was born in Newport, R. I., on the 17th of June, 1776, and went to New Orleans in 1802, where he resided until his death. He served as a volunteer under Gen. Jackson in defence of New Orleans, and was severely wounded. Mr. Touro was of the Hebrew faith, and a man of great liberality and benevolence. He left a property of nearly two millions of dollars, the bulk of which he bequeathed to the public institutions

of New Orleans.

July.In Muscogee County, Ga., Hon. George W. B. Towns, Governor of Georgia from 1849 to 1851, and Representative from Georgia in Congress from 1845 to 1847.


July 3. In New York, Major Eugene Vanderventer. He was partially educated at the West Point Military Academy, and, on the breaking out of the Mexican war, was appointed a Captain of Infantry in one of the new ten regiments. He served with distinction in Gen. Scott's line, and, before the close of the war, was promoted to a majority.

Aug. 4. — In Washington, D. C., Dr. Bailey Washington, aged 67. Dr. Washington was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, in 1787, and connected by blood with President Washington. At the time of his death, he was one of the senior surgeons in the U. S. Navy, having entered it in 1810. He was the surgeon of the Enterprise when she captured the Boxer during the last war, and afterwards served with efficiency on Lake Ontario, under Com. Chauncey, and was selected by him as his fleet-surgeon, though a junior. He was successively fleet-surgeon under Commodores Rodgers, Elliott, and Paterson in the Mediterranean, and closed his active sea service during the Mexican war. At the time of his death he was Consulting and Visiting Surgeon of the Navy Yard and Marine Barracks at Washington..

July 17. In Georgetown, D. C., Hon. George C. Washington. Col. Washington was a native of Virginia, and, at the time of his decease, was the oldest and nearest surviving relative of his grand-uncle, General Washington. He served from 1827 to 1833, and from 1835 to 1837, as a member of the House of Representatives from his district in Maryland, was President of the Ohio and Chesapeake canal, and Commissioner for the settlement of Indian claims. All his duties were performed with faithful attention and marked ability.

Aug. 4. In Albany, N. Y., Thomas Bushrod Washington, aged about 40, a son of Bushrod Washington, and a grand-nephew of Gen. George Washington.

June 23.- In Cambridge, Mass., Hon. Daniel Wells, Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, aged 63. Judge Wells was born in Greenfield, Mass. ; graduated at Dartmouth in 1810; studied and practised law in Greenfield until 1844, when, upon the re-organization of the court, he was made Chief Justice of the Common Pleas. In 1837 he was appointed District Attorney for the Western District, and discharged the duties of that office with marked ability, propriety, and success, until his appointment as Chief Justice. His death was sudden, and was caused by disease of the heart. He had held the Municipal Court in Boston for three successive and laborious terms, and had presided therein on the twentysecond of June. Late in the evening of that day, he left the court-room apparently in perfect health, was attacked during the evening, after reaching his residence, and died the next day, near one o'clock. He leaves a widow, two sons, and three daughters. The bar in Suffolk and in Berkshire met and paid honorable tribute to his memory.

In the course of his long and useful life, he rose to professional eminence, and did much service to the State. He was a learned and successful lawyer, and an upright judge. He was the steady friend of public improvement, of sound morals, and of social order. He was conscientiously faithful to duty, pure in life, and kind in heart. Aug. 13. In Albany, N. Y., Durell Williams, aged 90. Mr. Williams was a native of Pennsylvania. He entered the service of his country at the opening of the Revolutionary war, and continued in it until its close. He was with Washington at Newburgh and Valley Forge, was present at the evacuation of New York by the British, and participated in many of the stirring scenes which preceded.

May 4.-In Washington, D. C., Dr. Alexander Witherspoon, aged 37. Dr. Witherspoon received his medical education in New York, aud was for some time the House Surgeon of the City Hospital. He was a frequent contributor to the medical journals of the country, and his papers were remarkable for their exact observation and clear statement. At the time of his decease, he was a member of the medical corps of the army.

Aug. 24.In Andover, Mass., Rev. Leonard Woods, D. D., aged 81. Dr. Woods was Emeritus Professor of Theology in the Andover Theological Seminary, and widely known throughout the Union. He was born in Princeton, Mass., in 1774, and graduated at Harvard College in 1796. He was ordained pastor of the Fourth Congregational Church, in Newburg, in 1798, and left it in 1808. In 1810 he was installed Professor of Theology at Andover, where he gave instruction during the long period of forty-four years. Dr. Woods was the author of a valuable course of theology, recently published, in five volumes.

Feb. 25. In Florence, Italy, Capt. Thomas W. Wyman, of the U. S. Navy. Capt. Wyman entered the navy in 1810, and was made captain in 1842. Few officers in the service were more highly esteemed, or discharged the duties of their station more faithfully.

March 15. In Boston, Mass., Rev. Alexander Young, D. D., aged 54. Dr.

Young was born in Boston, in 1800, and was the son of Alexander Young, a printer. He graduated at Harvard College in 1320, and, on the 19th of January, 1825, was settled as pastor of the Sixth Congregational Church, of Boston, as the successor of Rev. Dr. Greenwood, and continued in that office until his death. After the death of Dr. Pierce, of Brookline, he was Secretary of the Board of Trustees of Harvard College, until the expiration of his term of office. Besides a volume of occasional discourses, Dr. Young has given to the world two works, entitled "Chronicles of the Pilgrim Fathers of the Colony of Plymouth," and "Chronicles of the First Planters of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay, from 1623 to 1636," both of which are edited with great acuteness and fidelity. His notes in them are regarded as weighty authority on the subjects to which they relate, even when conflicting with the opinions of other historians.


July 23.Near Lexington, Ky., Hon. Henderson Young, Judge of the Sixth Judicial Circuit of Kentucky.


Oct. 2.- At the Observatory, Paris, in his 68th year, Dominique François Jean Arago, Director of the Observatory, Perpetual Secretary of the Academy of Sciences, and Grand Officer of the Legion of Honor. He was born in the village of Estagel, near Perpignan, in the Pyrenees, Feb. 26, 1786. In the college at Perpignan he studied mathematics with great zeal, and entered the Polytechnic School with the highest honors. In 1806, at twenty years of age, he was appointed Secretary of the Board of Longitude, and soon afterwards he became an assistant to Biot in measuring the arc of meridian in Spain. When the war broke out, Arago was taken prisoner. Liberated by the Spaniards, he was captured by an Algerine corsair, and kept in captivity until 1809. At the age of twenty-three he returned to Paris, and, on the death of Lalande, was elected a member of the Institute of France, in the Astronomical Section, and was soon after appointed Professor of Analysis, Geodesy, and Social Arithmetic in the Polytechnic School. Arago was the author of more than sixty distinct Memoirs on various branches of science. His first essay, read before the Institute on the 24th of March, 1806, was an investigation, in which he was assisted by Biot, "On the Affinities of Bodies for Light," and particularly on the Refracting Powers of Different Gases." He established, in connection with M. Gay-Lussac, in 1816, "The Annales de Physique et de Chimie," and on his pressing representation, July 13, 1835, the Academy commenced, under the charge of its Perpetual Secretaries, "Les Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires." In 1830 Arago was made Director of the Observatory, and he succeeded Fourier as a Perpetual Secretary of the Academy of Sciences. His remarkable activity of mind and unwearying industry led him without difficulty through an amount of labor that would have overwhelmed an ordinary man. In politics he was Republican, and in his political writings are found evidences of a bold and liberal mind, ever alive to the social interests of his fellow-men; as a Deputy, he delivered a great number of speeches to the Chamber. In 1848 he was elected a member of the Council-General of the Seine. He was named a member of the Provisional Government, and Minister of War and Marine, ad interim. He refused to take the oaths to the government of Louis Napoleon. It is said that troubles in his latter days did much towards causing his death.


Nov. 17.-In Badminton, the Duke of Beaufort, aged 61. In his youth he served on the staff of the Duke of Wellington, and was for some months a prisoner of war. While Marquis of Worcester he held a seat in the House of Commons as member for Gloucestershire.

Dec. 2.-In France, the Duc de Belluno, son of Marshal Victor, and Senator of France.

[ocr errors]


Nov. 28.-. - At Eaton Square, General Sir Thomas Bradford, G. C. B. & G. C. H., Colonel of her Majesty's Fourth Regiment of Foot, aged 75.

Dec. 25.
Dec. 4.

In Scotsbrig, near Ecclefechan, the mother of Thomas Carlyle.
Vice-Admiral James Richard Dacres, at his seat, Calisfeld Lodge,

[ocr errors]

near Fareham Hants. He had served with great distinction. In command of the Guerriere frigate, in 1812, he engaged with the United States frigate Constitution, and after a hard battle, in which he was wounded, struck his flag. He was honorably acquitted by a court-martial which tried him for surrendering his ship, and afterwards served on various stations.

Nov. 22.-The Right Hon. William, Earl of Dartmouth, at Patshull, Staffordshire, aged 68.

Nov. 17.-In Torquay, Princess Nicolas Esterhazy, eldest daughter of the Earl and Countess of Jersey, aged 30.

Dec. 16.-In Novena, Don Alvaro Flores de Estrada, one of the most distinguished men in Spain, aged 87.

Dec. 5.-Lord Fullerton, aged 77. He was called to the bar in 1798, five years after Sir Walter Scott, and was appointed a Lord of Session in 1828, through Sir Robert Peel. He had but recently retired from the bench, and was "deemed one of the soundest, most learned, and accomplished lawyers."

Dec. 25.- Dr. James Gillkrest, Inspector-General of Army Hospitals. He entered the medical department of the army in 1801, served in the West Indies, and was with the famous Light Division throughout the Peninsular war, and received for his services a medal with twelve clasps. He was the author of several valuable papers on cholera, and also of a work on yellow fever, which was presented to the French Academy of Medicine, of which he was a member.


Oct. 26. At Simla, in Bengal, Major-General Sir Henry T. Godwin, K. C. B., aged 68.

Nov. 17.- Captain William Gregory of the Royal Engineers, at Woolwich, aged 58.

Dec. 19.-In Hanover, Dr. Grottefend, a learned Orientalist and philologist, and well known in English literary societies.

Dec. 13. At Brazen-Nose College, Oxford, Rev. Richard Harington, D.D. Dr. Harington was the Principal of the College, and the third son of the late Sir John Edward Harington, Bart.


Sept. 25.

At Brighton, the Hon. and Rev. Somerville Hay, aged 36. Dec. 5. - At Hoveringham Notts, Lieutenant-General Henry Huthwaite, of the Bengal Army, aged 84.

Dec. 9.-At New Inn, Robert Langslow, Esq., some time Attorney-General of Malta, and afterward a District Judge in Ceylon, aged 62.

Oct. 17. At Bath, Sir Alexander Mackenzie, aged 82. Sir Alexander was the senior General in the Queen's service, and had been educated partly at Edinburgh with Sir Walter Scott, and subsequently with the Duke of Wellington in France.

Dec. 25.

In Ely, Dr. William Hodge Mill, Regius Professor of Hebrew in the University of Cambridge, Eng., Canon of Ely, and Rector of Brasted. Nov. 24.. At Lansdowne Crescent, Cheltenham, Lieutenant-General Duncan M'Pherson, of the Bengal Army, aged 74.

Oct. 13. At Cadogan Place, Captain Henry Edward Napier, R. N., F. R. S., youngest brother of the late Lieut.-General Sir C. J. Napier, G. C. B., aged 63.

Dec. 2.-At Castle Meadow, Norwich, Mrs. Amelia Opie, widow of John Opie, Esq., the painter, aged 84. Mrs. Opie was the daughter of Dr. James Alderson, of Norwich. She was married in 1798, at the age of 29; prior to which she had not written for the press, unless it be occasional songs. In 1801, “The Father and Daughter" was published. This was translated and dramatized iu the opera Agnese." Among her other works, she wrote "The Odd-tempered Man," "Temple," "St. Valentine's Day," "Illustrations of Lying," and "Detraction Displayed." She lost her husband in 1807. She was educated a Unitarian, became a convert to Orthodoxy, and afterwards assumed the Quaker faith, garb, and speech.


Dec. 12.

Izzet Pacha, the brave and determined Governor of Belgrade. Nov. 15. At Plymouth, John Pasco, Rear-Admiral of the Red, aged 73. He was one of Nelson's Lieutenants, and the senior flag Lieutenant of the victory at Trafalgar.

Oct. 27. At Derry, the Right Rev. Dr. Ponsonby, Lord Bishop of Derry and Raphoe, Ireland, aged 82.

Dec. 25.- General Joseph von Radowitz.

[ocr errors]

Sept. 14. Hugh Edwin Strickland, a member of the British Association. While making geological examinations of the strata in the deep cuttings on each

[ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »