Page images


Cons. or





Beresford, D. D. 1787 1831 Rich. Whately, D.D. Dublin.

[blocks in formation]

1773 1822 Lord J. G. de la Poer Armagh& 1808 1849 R. B. Knox, D. D. 1793 1849 William Higgin, D. D. 1848 James Wilson, D. D. 1853 Henry Griffin, D. D. 1839 Thos. Plunket, D. D. 1784 1839 Ludlow Tonson, D. D. 1842 J. T. O'Brien, D. D. 1843 †Robert Daly, D. D.


1801 1850 +J. H. Singer, D. D. Meath.

G, M. Beresford, D.D. Kilmore.


Down and Con.
Derry & Raphoe
Cork, &c.
Limerick, &c.
Tuam, K. & A.
Killaloe, &c.
Ossory & L.
Cashel, &c.

The Bishop of Meath takes precedence of all other Irish bishops, and is a Privy Councilor in right of his see. The rest take precedence according to priority of consecration.

[blocks in formation]

Dec. 23.-In East Boston, Mass., James Bowdoin Allen, Esq., aged 29. Mr. Allen was a highly esteemed member of the Suffolk bar. He graduated at Dartmouth College in 1845. At the time of his death he was postmaster at East


Nov. 15.-In Manchester, N. H., Hon. Charles G. Atherton, aged 53. He was the son of Hon. Charles H. Atherton, of Amherst, N. H., and was born in Hillsboro' County, July 4, 1804. He graduated at Cambridge in 1822. He was a lawyer by profession, but engaged in politics while yet a young man. He was for many years a member of the State Legislature, and for three years the Speaker of the House. He was elected to Congress in 1837, and continued in the House of Representatives, by successive re-elections, until 1843, when he was chosen Senator, and served out his term. He was not then re-elected; but in November, 1852, was chosen to fill the seat left vacant by the expiration of the Hon. John P. Hale's term of service in March, 1853.

Oct. 19. In Portsmouth, N. H., Hon. Ichabod Bartlett, aged 67. He was born in Salisbury, N. H., and graduated at Dartmouth College in 1808. He studied law, and commenced the practice of his profession in Durham, but soon removed to Portsmouth. His learning and ability as a lawyer, and his eloquence as an advocate, gave him, at an early age, great success; and he was found in causes as an opponent to Mr. Webster and Mr. Mason. He served, with distinction, three terms- from 1823 to 1829-as a member of the House of Representatives at Washington, and had frequently been a member of the State Legislature. He was a member of the late State Convention, to revise the Constitution of New Hampshire.

Oct. 11. In Boston, Barnabas Bates, aged 66. He was a native of England, but was brought to this country by his parents when a child. He was for some

* I. e. the date of the incumbent's entry on the present diocese, whether by consecration or translation.

†The bishops thus marked sit in Parliament as representative bishops.

time a Baptist preacher in Rhode Island, but became afterwards a Unitarian. He was for a short time the collector of the port of Bristol, R. I., to which office he was appointed by President John Q. Adams. In 1825 he went to New York, and there established a weekly paper, called the "Christian Inquirer," which was discontinued in a few years. Under General Jackson he was appointed to a position in the New York Post-office, and from that time his attention was called to the subject of cheap postage, in which cause he labored zealously and successfully until his death.

Sept. 16. In Wayne Co., N. Y., Hon. Victory Birdseye, aged 71. He frequently served his State in the Assembly, and was a member of Congress from 1815 to 1817, and from 1841 to 1843.

Oct. 13.-In Rhode Island, Hon. Tristam Burgess, aged 83. He studied law with Judge Barnes in 1799, and in 1815 was elected Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island. From 1825 to 1835 he was a member of the House of Representatives of the United States. From the time of his entrance to Congress, his great excellence as a debater, the characteristics of which were fervid eloquence and withering sarcasm, combined with clear reasoning power, soon placed him in the front rank of the public men of the day. His contests with John Randolph of Roanoke live in history. At the bar, Mr. Burgess was an able advocate and a successful lawyer. He was also a diligent student of the Bible, and learned in all theological controversy, in which he especially delighted.

Nov. In Wisconsin, Timothy Burns, aged 33. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1820, went to Wisconsin in 1837, and settled in Iowa County. He held several offices of public trust, and in 1851 was elected Lieutenant-Governor, which office he held at the time of his death.

Sept. In Raleigh, N. C., Perrin Busbee, Esq., aged 37; an eminent lawyer, and at the time of his death Reporter of the Decisions of the Supreme Court, and President of the Council of State.


Dec. 24.-In Washington, D. C., Hon. Brookins Campbell, aged 46. Campbell was born in Washington County, Tenn., in 1808; was many years a member of the State Legislature, and in 1845 was unanimously elected Speaker. He was an officer in the Quartermaster's Department in the war with Mexico, and at the time of his decease was a member of Congress from the First Congressional District of Tennessee.

[ocr errors]

Oct. 8. In Tampa Bay, Florida, Brevet Brig.-Gen. Thomas Childs, one of the bravest and most distinguished officers in the United States army.


Sept. 1. In New York, Louis Chitti, an Italian exile. He was formerly Secretary of Finance to Murat; afterwards Professor of Political Economy at Brussels, and then a Commissioner to the United States from the Belgian government. During the troubles of 1821, at Naples, he was expelled from Italy on account of his patriotism, and has resided in this country since, making many friends by his kind and upright deportment.

Nov. 19.-In Craftsbury, Vermont, Hon. Samuel C. Crafts, aged 84. His father effected the settlement of Craftsbury, and upon the organization of the town, in 1792, Mr. Samuel C. Crafts was chosen Town Clerk, and held the office for thirty-seven successive years. He was the youngest delegate to the Convention for revising the State Constitution in 1793. In 1796, 1800, 1801, 1803, and 1805, he was elected a member of the House of Representatives of the State. From 1796 to 1815 he was Register of Probate for Orleans District. In 1798 and 1799 he was Clerk of the House of Representatives. From 1809 to 1812, and from 1825 to 1827, he was a member of the Executive Council. In 1800 he was appointed a Judge of Orleans County Court, and remained such till 1816; for the last six years being Chief Judge. From 1825 to 1828 he was again Chief Judge, and from 1836 to 1838 Clerk of the Court. In 1816 he was elected Representative to Congress, and served for that and the three succeeding terms; i. e. from 1817 to 1825 inclusive. In 1828 he was elected Governor of Vermont, and was re-elected in 1829 and 1830. In 1829 he was President of the Constitutional Convention. In 1842 he was appointed by Governor Paine, and afterwards elected by the Legislature, a Senator in Congress, for the unexpired term of one year. He thus filled every office in the gift of Vermont.

Dec. 21. In Albemarle County, Va., Professor Edward H. Courtenay, LL.D., who for a long term of years, and up to the time of his death, very ably filled the chair of Mathematics in the University of Virginia.


Oct. 13. In Boston, Thomas Kemper Davis, Esq. He was a son of Isaac P.

Davis, and graduated at Cambridge in 1827. He studied law, and at one time stood high in his profession. But having an ample fortune, he devoted himself to, and became learned in, English and classical literature.

Nov. 15. In New York, William Henry De Wolf, aged 51. He was the son of James De Wolf, of Rhode Island, and was born in Bristol, R. I., May 15, 1802. He was in early life a midshipman, and served on board the Java under Commodore Oliver H. Perry. At the time of his death he was United States Consul at Dundee, to which office he was appointed by President Pierce.

Oct. 5. -- In Morris County, New Jersey, Hon. Mahlon Dickerson, aged 83. Mr. Dickerson was a native of New Jersey, but in early life resided in Pennsylvania, where he was Recorder of the City of Philadelphia, and subsequently Quartermaster-General of the State. He was Judge of the Supreme Court of New Jersey, and was elected Governor of that State in 1815, and held the office until 1817, when he was chosen United States Senator, and continued in that office for sixteen years. In 1834 he became Secretary of the Navy, in the Cabinet of President Jackson, and held that department until 1838, some two years after the accession of President Van Buren. For two years he was President of the American Institute.

Oct. 21.-In Opelousas, La., Dr. William J. Digges, aged 34; a physician of considerable note and public estimation.

Nov. 10. In Jacksonville, Fla., Major Alexander Dunlap, aged 67. He was born in Kentucky, volunteered as a private in the war of 1812, and was taken prisoner at Dudley's defeat. He was in the battle of the Thames, and for his gallantry was made a captain in the army. He fought through the Creek war, and was a witness of the execution of Arbuthnot and Ambrister. He was ap pointed a major in the Mexican war by President Polk, assisted in the taking of Vera Cruz, and was with General Scott in several of the engagements in the valley of Mexico.

Nov. 16. In Concord, Mass., Ruth Emerson, mother of Ralph Waldo Emerson, aged 83.

[ocr errors]


Dec. In Pernambuco, Hon. J. Wright Gordon, formerly Lieutenant-Governor of Michigan. Mr. Wright was killed by an accidental fall from a balcony. Oct. 6. In Cambridge, Mass., Hon. Simon Greenleaf, LL.D., aged 70. was born in Newburyport, Mass., December 5, 1783. His father was a captain in the revolutionary army, and on his mother's side he was connected with the family of the late Chief Justice Parsons. While he was yet quite young, his father removed to Maine, and when he was eighteen years old he entered as a lawstudent the office of Ezekiel Whitman, Esq., of New Gloucester, since Chief Justice of Maine, where he remained three years. In 1806 he married and began the practice of the law in Standish, Maine, whence, after a residence of six months, he removed to Gray, where he remained twelve years. In 1818 he removed to Portland. In 1820, upon Maine's becoming a State, and the establishment of the Supreme Court, he was appointed Reporter of its decisions. He held that office until 1832, when he was superseded by a political opponent. His Reports, and especially the later volumes, are considered by the profession models of judicial reports. He was at this time one of the foremost of the Maine bar, and had an extensive practice. He remained in Portland one year afterwards, and in 1833, upon the death of Professor Ashmun, he was appointed Royall Professor of Law in the Dane Law School, which office he held until 1846, when he was transferred to the Dane Professorship, then vacant by the death of Judge Story. He held this Professorship but two years, when, in 1848, his failing strength becoming wholly unequal to its accumulated and poorly requited labors, he resigned the place. His release from care and toil was followed by an immediate amendment of his health; and he was enabled to devote himself to the preparation of his law books.

The Law School at Cambridge is indebted for its success to no one of its many able professors more than to Mr. Greenleaf. Before Judge Story and Mr. Greenleaf united their labors, it had been made a respectable school by the efforts of Stearns and Ashmun. The extended and well-deserved reputation of Judge Story, as a jurist and a profound lawyer, attracted large numbers of young men to the school, and by his glow and fervor he awakened in them aspirations for the higher attainments of the profession; but it was the gentle and affectionate, yet decided and controlling, manner of Mr. Greenleaf, who had always the direction of the internal affairs of the school, and for many months in each year

during the absence of Judge Story at Washington and on his circuits, its entire control and management and instruction, which, connected with the respect which his extensive learning, his extraordinary aptness to teach, and his power of attracting and holding the attention of the students, kept the young men together, satisfied, and harmonious. By all those who had the good fortune to be his pupils, his death is felt as a personal loss.

Before coming to Cambridge, Mr. Greenleaf was an author of law books. Besides his Reports, nine volumes in number, he published in 1821 a volume of overruled cases; in 1842 the first volume of his work on Evidence; in 1846 the second volume; and in 1853 the third and concluding volume. The first volume has reached the seventh edition; the second, the fourth; and the third, the second edition. In 1846 he published an annotated edition of Cruise's Digest of real law. Of his position as a law writer, a distinguished judge has said: Among those eminent lawyers who have never held judicial station, the name and opinion of Mr. Greenleaf stand highest as authority in all matters of law. He gained this high position by incessant and devoted labor in his profession." He also published in 1846 a volume entitled "An Examination of the Testimony of the Four Evangelists by the Rules of Evidence administered in the Courts of Justice, with an Account of the Trial of Jesus." The preparation of this was begun as early as 1817, and it has been republished in England.


Besides these works, he published others of less size and importance and of more temporary value, and he also contributed not unfrequently to periodical literature.

He was never a politician. He was once elected to the Maine Legislature, but there devoted himself chiefly to amendments of the statute law of the State. He was an upright man and a devout Christian. His death was sudden. He retired to rest in perfect health; was soon seen to be ailing; medical aid was called, but before it arrived he had gone to his long sleep. He left the wife of his youth a widow; and of a large family of children, two sons and two daughters survive him.

Nov. 25. Capt. J. W. Gunnison, Corps of Topographical Engineers, U. S. A., massacred by a party of Utah Indians, on the Levier River. Captain Gunnison graduated with distinguished honor at West Point, in 1837, and was assigned as a Second Lieutenant to the Second Regiment of Artillery. Upon the organization of the Corps of Topographical Engineers, in 1838, he was transferred to that corps, and continued a member of it until his death. He bore an honorable part in the Seminole war, was engaged for some time in improving the inland navigation along the coast of Florida, and for about ten years was employed in the survey of the northwestern lakes, and the improvement of the harbors. In the years 1849 and 1850 he was associated with Captain Stansbury, of the Corps of Topographical Engineers, in the survey of the Great Salt Lake region, and made an able report thereon. When in charge of one of the surveys authorized by Congress, for the determination of the best railroad route across to the Pacific, he met with his untimely fate.

Oct. 14. In Pennsylvania, Hon. William Heister, aged 62. He was for many years an active politician, and a leader of the Anti-Masonic party. He was a member of the lower house of Congress from 1831 to 1837, and of the Convention for revising the State Constitution.

[ocr errors]

Oct. 17. In Portland, Me., Isaac Ilsley, aged 88. Mr. Ilsley was appointed Collector of Portland by President Jefferson, and held the office till some time after the close of John Quincy Adams's Administration.

Oct. 3.-In Highwood, N. J., Hon. James G. King, aged 62. He was a son of the Hon. Rufus King, and was an eminent merchant and banker of New York. He graduated at Harvard College in 1810, and was a member of Congress from New Jersey from 1849 to 1851.

[ocr errors]

Nov. 14. In New York, Felix Lacoste, Consul-General of France for the United States.

Dec. 30. In Mount Tabor, Ohio, Seneca Lapham, aged 70.

Oct. 27.- In New Bedford, Mass., Henry Lindsey, Esq., aged near 35. Lindsey was editor of the Whalemen's Shipping List.


Oct. 3.- - Near Rhinebeck, N. Y., Judge James Lynch, aged 67. Judge Lynch was son of the elder Dominick Lynch. He commenced the practice of law in Rome, but afterwards settled in Utica, and represented Oneida County in the Legislature in 1823. In 1826 he removed to New York, where he was subse

quently appointed to the bench of the Marine Court, of which he was a Judge at the time of his death. He was one of the founders of the American Institute, and always took an active interest in its prosperity.

Nov. 8.-In New York, Chevalier Rocco Martuscelli, Envoy Extraordinary from the Court of Naples, aged 52. He had served in this country as the Chargé of his sovereign for fourteen years, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. Sept. 5. -In San Francisco, Cal., Brevet Lieut.-Col. J. L. Mason, Captain of Engineers. Col. Mason was a son of Major Milo Mason; was born in Providence, R. I., and educated at West Point. For a long time he had charge of the construction of the fortifications at Fort Adams, and was considered one of the most skilful and scientific officers of the engineer corps. He joined the army under General Scott in Mexico, and was brevetted Major and afterwards Lieutenant-Colonel for gallant and meritorious services. He was appointed by President Pierce to the important charge of superintending the construction of the fortifications at San Francisco, but died from fever contracted while crossing the Isthmus.

Oct. 14. In Scituate, R. I., Hon. Elisha Matthewson, aged 88. He was an old school Jeffersonian, and at one time an active politician. He was at different periods a member of the General Assembly of Rhode Island, once Speaker of the House, and from 1807 to 1811 a Senator in Congress from that State.

Sept. 14. In Goldsborough, N. C., on his return to his home in Bladen County, Hon. James J. McKay, aged 65. He was for 20 years-from 1831 to 1849 inclusive -a Representative in Congress from the Wilmington District in North Carolina, and for several of his later terms of service was Chairman of the Committee of Ways and Means.

Dec. 1. In Fredericksburg, Va., Colonel Hugh Mercer, aged 77, the only survivor of the immediate descendant of the illustrious Mercer of the Revolution.

Dec. 7.--In New York, Thomas G. Mower. Mr. Mower was the senior surgeon on the army lists, and served throughout the war of 1812.

Nov. 10.-- Near Columbus, Ga., Major Thomas M. Nelson, aged 71. Major Nelson was a grandson of Secretary Nelson, of Virginia, and a son of Major John Nelson, a gallant soldier of the Revolution. Mr. Nelson entered the army of the United States as a Captain of Infantry in the war of 1812, and served with high distinction during its continuance. On the reduction of the army at the peace establishment, he was retained in the service with the rank of Major. In 1815 he resigned his commission, and soon afterwards was elected to Congress from the Mecklenburg District in Virginia, and served for two terms, from 1816 to 1819, when, declining a re-election, he retired to private life.

Sept. 22. -In New York, Hon. Thomas W. Newton, in 1846-47 a member of Congress from Arkansas.

Dec. 21. In Somerville, Mass., Rev. Thomas F. Norris, for many years Editor of the Oliver Branch.

Sept. 18. In Newport, R. I., Rev. Andrews Norton, D. D., aged 68. He was born in Hingham, Mass., in 1786; studied theology; graduated at Cambridge in 1804; was tutor in Bowdoin in 1809-10; was tutor in Cambridge in 1810-11; teacher of theology from 1813 to 1819; Dexter Professor of Sacred Literature from 1819 to 1830, and Librarian from 1313 to 1821. Dr. Norton was a profound and accurate scholar, an eminent theologian, and for talent, acquirements, and influence, one of the most remarkable men in New England. He was the author of several theological works, the principal one being "Evidences of the Genuineness of the Gospels"; and in his publications he supported with skill and power the theological views of the Unitarians. He has also written verses of a devotional cast, and of great beauty and sweetness.

Oct. 18.-In Edenton, N. C., Dr. Matthew Page, a physician of eminence, and a gentleman of considerable literary distinction.

Oct. 6.- In New York, Judge Elijah Paine. He was a son of Judge Elijah Paine, of the United States District Court for the District of Vermont, and was born in Williamstown in that State. He graduated at Cambridge in 1814, and studied law. Early in his practice he established himself in New York city, and soon attained eminence as a lawyer. He was appointed Reporter by Judge Thompson of the United States Circuit Court, and published a volume of Reports. He also, with Mr. Duer, prepared a work on Practice. In 1849 he was elected one of the Justices of the Supreme Court of the city of New York, and occupied this position until the time of his death.

« PreviousContinue »