Page images

The information was obtained from General Hamblin himself, who further admitted that he suffered very severely and lost six colors. As I heard of but two regimental flags, I presume the others were markers' flags. Indeed, one of my men told me that he saw Lieutenant King, whose death is above-mentioned, with two markers' flags shortly before he fell. It seems scarcely possible that this battalion could have contended successfully with even a single regiment unless reduced to its own feeble dimensions. It can be explained, however, by the fact that they were thrown into some disorder by the closeness of the thicket through which they advanced, and being thus caught in detail by a sudden attack had no opportunity to recover themselves.

I have thus, General, given an account, perhaps too detailed, of the fortunes of the brigade from the evacuation to its capture, in what fell under my own observation. If anything is omitted which was stated in my former communication in unofficial form, I beg you will make the necessary corrections and additions. I have been more minute than would have been necessary or, perhaps, even proper, under other circumstances. But I feel with you that since they have lost all else, we ought to save for our brave soldiers all the honors they so hardly won. All their toils and sufferings and dangers have been apparently in vain; but they fought in a just cause, and if they did not achieve success they at least deserved it. I await with impatience the day when the world will do justice to our country and our countrymen. I have the honor to remain, General, Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Major Com'd'g 18th Georgia Battalion.

List of Casualties in the 18th Georgia Battalion, G. W. C. Lee's Division, Ewell's Corps, in the Battle of Hillman's Farm, or Sailor Creek, Va., April 6, 1865:

Field and Staff-Wounded-Major William S. Basinger, Lieutenant E. P. Starr, Adjutant.

Company A, Lieutenant W. H. King, Commanding:

Killed-Lieutenant Wm. H. King; Sergeants R. Millen, W. H.

Bennett; Privates Henry Crook, E. L. Gordon, J. W. Myddleton, John Vicars.

Wounded-Lieutenant Fred A. Tupper; Sergeant Harry H. Woodbridge; Corporal H. Barrs; Privates James Belote, J. S. Gans, J. Hitchcock, B. Newbern, J. T. Smith, S. Syntis B. Green.

Company B, Lieutenant Geo. D. Smith, Commanding:

Killed-Sergeants Chase B. Postell, Sim Moreton; Privates E. L. Barie, Jas. C. Bryan.

Wounded-Lieutenants Geo. D. Smith, Wm. D. Grant; Sergeant. E. C. Wade; Privates Percy Elliott, F. Kreeger, J. Darracott, J. Douglass, J. N. Guerard, T. Kreeger, J. H. Polk, J. H. Butler.

Company C, Captain Gilbert C. Rice Commanding:

Killed-Captain G. C. Rice; Lieutenant George M. Turner; Sergeant George E. James; Privates B. Abney, Alfred O. Bowne, Jacob Gould, John H. McIntosh, Ed. A. Papy, B. J. Rouse; Corporal W. H. Rice.

Wounded-Lieutenants Eugene T. Blois, John R. Dillon; Sergeants F. Ripon Sweat, Bayard J. McIntosh, Chas. R. Maxwell, M. McLean, C. J. Sweat, Albert Folker.

Died Since of their Wounds-Company A: Lieutenant Fred A. Tupper; Private B. Green. Company B: Lieutenants George D. Smith, Wm. D. Grant; Sergeant E. C. Wade; Privates Percy Elliott, F. Kreeger, F. N. Guerard. Company C: Lieutenant Eugene T. Blois.

The balance of the command were either captured unhurt after the fight, or escaped and were present at the surrender.



Who Piloted General Forrest across Black Creek, in his Famous Pursuit and Capture of Col. A. D. Streight.

With an Account of the Surrender by Gen. D. H. Maury.

The eloquent address of General Dabney H. Maury-" The Wizard of the West"-lingers a delight in the minds of those who fortunately heard it.

His vivid portrayal of the characteristics and stirring recital of the remarkable achievements of Lieutenant-General Nathan Bedford Forrest, has re-incited deep interest in the phenomenal leader. Any illustration of his brilliant career, even unpretentious, may be deemed acceptable to the public.

The narrative of a follower of the great soldier, which is presented, was sent the Editor by Mr. W. L. Fleming, a librarian of the A. & M. College, Auburn, Ala.

In the early part of April, 1863, the commander of the Federal forces in Tennessee determined to send a strong raiding party around the Confederate forces under Gen. Bragg for the purpose of destroying the railroads and cutting off supplies and reinforcements, and also to destroy the extensive Confederate works then at Rome, Ga.

For this daring purpose Col. Abel D. Streight, of Indiana, was selected, and he was given command of 2,000 picked Western men, well mounted and armed with the best arms in the Federal service. To this party was also attached a section of the 6th Ohio Light Battery. Streight's party was accompanied by a strong force of infantry and artillery as far as the Tennessee valley to create a diversion while he should pass the Confederates under Gen. N. B. Forrest.

The combined commands of the Federals landed and crossed the Tennessee river below Tuscumbia, in the extreme northwestern part of the State of Alabama. They made their way up the valley, driving back the small cavalry force of the Confederates which was in their front; the Confederates then being scattered over the whole north line of Alabama. When Town creek was reached Forrest

made̱ a stand, having received some reinforcements of cavalry, and with Ferrell's Battery and a section of Freman's Battery. The command was posted on the east side of Town creek, between the ford and railroad bridge. Here an artillery duel was kept up with the Federal host on the west side, which lasted nearly a whole day. During the day it seemed that the Yankees were trying to cross the creek at the ford, the creek being considerably swollen from recent rains. Gen. Forrest ordered the writer to take one of the guns of Ferrell's Battery and go down and drive the enemy from the ford. I took a twelve-pounder field-howitzer, and went down near the ford and scattered them effectually, and drove them back to their main lines, following them up with my shells as they retreated. For this service I was complimented by Gen. Forrest, who declared we did "the best shooting he ever saw."

About the time I ceased firing it seemed that all the Yankee batteries had concentrated their fire on my little party, but fortunately they could not depress their guns sufficiently to harm us. shot and shells passed over our heads.


Just before night our command moved back to Courtland. Big Nance creek being very high, the drivers swam their horses across at the ford and the cannoneers passed the pieces over the railroad bridge by hand. We remained in the streets of Courtland during the night. It seems that Colonel Streight left the main command while we were engaged in the artillery duel the day before, and General Forrest had "caught on" to it, for we left Courtland early the next morning, and went up the mountain leaving a portion of General Roddy's command under Major Moreland in the valley. Here we first heard of the raiding party under Colonel Streight and got on his track. I remember General Forrest telling us that "they, the Yankees, were taking the rings off the gals fingers," and that "we would take them back when we caught them," after a rest of about an hour, the command moved forward at a lively gait as the trail was a warm one. We continued the pursuit in a southeasterly direction. We found that the Yankees had taken or destroyed. everything in the way of food or forage as they passed. The flour and meal that they did not use was thrown into the road and well mixed with dirt and sand so as to be useless to us.

In crossing a bad mud hole with "corduroy" made of poles and fence rails where some one had broken his wagon and left it in the mire, the cannoneers being afoot, passed over on some logs lying by the fence when one spied some bacon sides lying just over the fence

in the bushes and briars; I told them to get it, and had a hole cut in them, and then had them put on the spindle of the spare wheel on our caissons. It proved to be a godsend, for we had nothing else

to eat.

That night we saw lights ahead on the mountain, which it seems was the camp of the raiders. Ferrell's Battery and a part of the command was sent to the right, while the section of Freeman's Battery and another part of the command went to the left. We on the right were apparently near enough to have reached their camp with our shells, and I was asked what I could do, but the elevation was too great for field pieces.

Early the next morning we were ordered to move rapidly around the mountain to the left, where we heard heavy firing. It seems that Gen. Forrest had attacked them on the mountain at Day's gap with a part of his command and with the section of Freeman's Battery, and had been repulsed with the loss of Freeman's guns and a number of men. I think his brother, Bill Forrest, was either killed or severely wounded there. When we arrived the command immediately moved forward up the mountain, and on reaching the top our line was formed, and we moved forward. We soon came to the line of the Yankees, who gave us a heavy volley and retreated. "That's h-1, to let them all get away," I heard some one say just coming up behind me. I looked around, and saw it was Gen. Forrest. He ordered "forward," and away we went. We pressed them so closely that day that late in the evening they abandoned the guns that they had taken from Freeman. Streight made a stand at every creek or stream on the way, and burnt all the bridges. The battery was ordered up on most of these occasions, and after giving them a few rounds of shell or shrapnel, and sometimes cannister, the cavalry would charge them and carry the position, and so it would go to the next creek. Many of these streams were very difficult to cross with artillery. Often ammunition would have to be carried over by the cavalrymen, each man with a shell; and the men and horses, by the use of prolonge ropes, would drag the guns across these rough and rocky mountain streams.

Late that night we came upon them in camp, it was very dark and the enemy's fires if they had any, were out, our line was moving along slowly, when General Forest suggested they were just in front of us. I could not tell whether my front was up hill or down, but had the first piece pointed by feeling along the gun with my hand, and fired, the guns to the left in the woods following, we drew a

« PreviousContinue »