Page images

for all who wore the gray, and they will go to answer roll-call on the other shore. Will you permit the memory of their deeds of daring, their knightly valor, their devotion to principle, to perish from off the earth, or will you take up the work when other hands shall droop and fail, and see that they shall live in the history of coming years? True, they fought and lost, but is that all?

Is that all? Was duty naught?

Love and Faith made blind with tears?
What the lessons that they taught?
What the glory that they caught

From the onward sweeping years?

Here are they who marched away,
Followed by our hopes and fears;
Nobler never went than they
To a bloodier, madder fray,

In the lapse of all the years.

Garlands still shall wreathe the swords
That they drew amid our cheers;
Children's lispings, women's words,
Sunshine, and the songs of birds

Greet them here through all the years.

With them ever shall abide

All our love and all our prayers.

"What of them?" The battle's tide

Hath not scathed them. Lo, they ride
Still with Stuart down the years.

Where are they who went away,

Sped with smiles that changed to tears?

Lee yet leads the lines of gray

Stonewall still rides down this way;

They are Fame's through all the years.


Captain Parks was frequently applauded during his speech, and at its close he received quite an ovation.

Captain Stratton moved that the thanks of the camp should be extended to the distinguished speaker for his eloquent and patriotic oration, and the motion was seconded, though before it could be put Captain Alex. Archer moved to amend it so as to include the thanks of the entire audience.

The amendment was accepted, and the motion adopted by a rising


The Tony Miller Combination played several selections, and Mr. Eugene Davis, Sr., by special request, sang several dialect songs, which were liberally applauded.


Judge F. R. Farrar was called upon by Commander Peay, and responded very happily. He prefaced his remarks with a graceful compliment to Captain Parks, and said he had no desire to mar the perfect autonomy, as he wittily termed it, of the occasion, by any words of his. He was induced to proceed, however, and with his well-known versatility, he flitted from grave to joy, and touched many a tender chord in the hearts of his listeners. Leaving the platform, he took one of the violins belonging to the Miller Combination, and played some old fashioned Virginia reels and other music, which fairly delighted his hearers.

Refreshments were served in the committee rooms adjoining the camp hall, and the rest of the evening was spent in telling war stories, singing, playing, and impromptu speech making.

[From the Richmond, Va., Times, August 22, 1897.]


Six Hundred Gallant Confederate Officers on Morris Island, S. C., in Reach of Confederate Guns.

They were held in Retaliation, and Two of them Relate the Experiences of Prison Life-Stories of Captain F. C. Barnes and Captain R. E. Frayser.

A list of the officers under fire, as above, including those as well from Maryland, North Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee, has been given in Vol. XVII, Southern Historical Society Papers, pp. 34-46, but as the list from Virginia herewith is more complete and definitely descriptive, it is meet that it should be printed now.

Further and graphic experience of the "hardships, sufferings and hazards" of the "Six Hundred," is given in the "narrative" of Colonel Abram Fulkerson, of the 63d Tennessee infantry, Southern Historical Society Papers, Vol. XXII, pp. 127–146.—EDITOR.

During the seige of Charleston the powerful Federal guns located on Morris Island could send their shells into the lower part of the city, where their explosion caused great destruction of houses, and danger to the inhabitants of that part of the town. As a means of protecting the residents, Major-General Sam Jones, commanding the Confederate forces in Charleston, notified Major-General J. G. Foster, of the United States army, that he had placed five generals and forty-five field officers of the United States army, "in a part of the city occupied by non-combatants, the majority of whom are women and children. It is proper that I should inform you that it is a part of the city which has been for many months exposed day and night to the fire of your guns."

This letter was sent on the 13th of June, 1864. Forthwith General Foster sent a copy of the letter to General Halleck, at Washington, and thereupon he ordered 600 Confederate officers to be taken from Fort Delaware and placed on Morris Island under the fire of the Confederate guns, in retaliation for the act of General Jones.

Of these 600 officers, a list of the Virginians is given herewith, among whom will be found the name of Second Lieutenant C. F. Crisp, 10th Infantry, Luray, Page county. This second lieutenant was the late Speaker of the House of Representatives. Among others of the 600 not named with the Virginians, but well-known in Richmond, were Captain Thomas Pinckney, 4th cavalry, Charleston, S. C., and Colonel A. Fulkerson, 63rd Tennessee Infantry, Rogersville.

The only Richmond man in the lot was Second Lieutenant S. H. Hawes, Page's Virginia Battery. The story of the transportation and life of the 600 is told by Captain F. C. Barnes, then second lieutenant 56th Virginia Infantry, and Captain R. E. Frayser, signal officer, New Kent county. During a recent visit to Richmond, Captain Barnes, who is now an honored citizen of Chase City, was induced to give the following account of his experiences:


Captain Barnes said:

I was captured in Pickett's charge at Gettysburg, Pa., on July 3, 1863. There my prison life commenced. After confinement in several prisons, I was taken to Johnson Island, Lake Erie, which was a prison exclusively for commissioned officers.

On the 9th of February, 1864, the names of 600 officers from lieutenant to colonel were called, and when we responded were placed in line and marched to the wharf, and there carried over to Sandusky in Ohio. None were aware of their destination, but supposed we were selected for exchange.

We remained all night in Sandusky, where it was very cold, but we were comfortable and enjoyed some privileges, not being strictly guarded. We left the next day on a train, and when we landed it was in Philadelphia.

There we were imprisoned in the State Armory, where we were comfortable. We staid there some weeks, and then were under strict

guard by negro soldiers.

We left there on the 16th of June on a steamer for Washington city. On the way a plan was devised to seize the guard, capture the boat and run ashore. All were united, but the plot was foiled by the boat running up under a fort on the river. The commanding officer must have had some intimation or suspicion of our purpose, for from the fort, a gunboat went up the river with our steamer.

Arriving in Washington we were taken to the Old Capitol, where

we remained several weeks, with light rations, and then were carried to Fort Delaware. From this place we were taken on the 20th of August, 1864, and carried to a large ocean steamer, Crescent City, then lying in the bay below the breakwater.

We sailed the next day for parts unknown, but still believing we were going to be exchanged. During the voyage we ran aground on Cape Romain, off the coast of South Carolina, when a large lot of coal had to be thrown off to lighten the ship, before sailing again. While stranded, a large gunboat came in sight and created great commotion among the officers and guard of the boat. They were apprehensive that an attempt would be made for our release, but there was no demonstration of that kind.

After sailing again, nearly all of us were placed in the hull of the boat and guarded more rigidly. We were kept out of sight of land for two weeks or more, and finally landed at Morris Island, S. C. This was on the 7th of September, and the first intimation we had of our destination.

Several officers knew the place, and all were soon informed. Our treatment on board the steamer was very rough, with scanty rations and brackish water. An officer died on the way and was given a burial at sea.

After landing at Morris Island we were placed under fire of our own guns in front of a Federal battery, which was shelled from Fort Sumter. The first evening and night the shelling was very heavy but none of us were killed. It seemed our guns got the range and fired over us. One morning while Captain Findley, of Virginia (now a preacher in Augusta county), J. E. Cobb, H. Coffry and myself were in our small tent just after Captain Findley had read a chapter in a Bible, which I now have and in which I placed all the notes of all my travels, a large shell fell right at our feet and covered us all with sand, but fortunately did not explode nor break up our accustomed worship.

We were guarded by negro troops commanded by Colonel Hallowell, who was a heartless man, and under him the most cruel treatment was experienced. We were not allowed any privileges, and often fired into by the guards for the most trivial offence and several men were wounded.

There was a plan on foot to tunnel out and make our escape, but the equinoctial storm flooded our work and it caved in. Another attempt was made by digging out, but our scheme was reported to

« PreviousContinue »