Page images

On Friday, April 7, 1865, Farmville, Va., was reached, and Scales' brigade relieved Cook's brigade as rear guard of the infantry. The enemy having crossed the river, pressed the lines very hard and consequently the rear guard was engaged in several attacks and suffered severely. The enemy was driven off, and this was the last fighting in which the regiment was engaged before the surrender.

Saturday, April 8th, the regiment camped about three miles from Appomattox Courthouse, Va. As Appomattox Courthouse was approached the next morning the Federal line was seen on the hill at the courthouse. Line of battle was drawn up and it was expected that an advance would be made. It began to be rumored that a surrender was made, but nothing definite could be learned until 12 o'clock, when it was known that Lee had indeed surrendered. It was soon learned that the soldiers would be paroled and given permission to return home.

Monday morning, April 10, 1865, the farewell address of General Lee was read to the regiment. All the soldiers of the regiment had the opportunity of shaking hands with General Lee and hearing him say, "God bless you, boys; I hope we shall meet again!" After remaining in this position until Wednesday, April 12th, the regiment was marched over near the courthouse, where the arms were stacked in front of the enemy. On the same evening the soldiers were furnished with the following:

APPOMATTOX C. H., VA., April 10, 1865. The bearer of Co., 38th Regiment of North. Carolina Troops, a paroled prisoner of the Army of Northern Virginia, has permission to go to his home, and there remain undisturbed.

Jos. H. HYMAN,

Colonel 13th N. C. Troops, Commanding Scales' Brigade.

The 38th Regiment of North Carolina Troops was disbanded and passed out of existence.

[From the Richmond, Va., Dispatch, September 18, 1897.]


Twenty-First Virginia Infantry.

Its Roster, with Brief Record of its Service.

CUMBERLAND C. H., VA., September 11, 1897.

There was a reunion of the Cumberland Grays' Association at Cumberland Courthouse recently. This company was commanded first by Captain F. D. Irving, who was in command of it from the 1st of July, 1861, to the 21st of April, 1862, when he refused reelection and retired from service.

Captain A. C. Page was elected its second captain, and was wounded at the battle of Sharpsburg. His leg was amputated, and he was retired from the service. At the earnest solicitation of Charles H. Anderson, the first lieutenant of the company, second lieutenant John A. Booker, who was on detached duty as A. A. A. General to General J. R. Jones, was appointed captain, and remained as such until the end of the war.

In the second fight at Manassas the ammunition of the regiment gave out, but our second lieutenant was a brick-layer, and seeing the railroad was levelled with brickbats and stones, he threw the first stone and ordered the men to beat back the first line of Yankees, which they did so effectually that the entire brigade in an instant took up the same weapons. With what effect, history has told.

At the roll-call of the company at the reunion it was seen that of the 103 officers and men who were enlisted only forty-eight were living.

The following is a list of those who were killed or died since and during the war:

Captain F. D. Irving, died since the war.

Captain A. C. Page, died since the war.

Lieutenant C. H. Anderson, killed at Fisher's Hill.
Lieutenant E. E. England, killed at Petersburg.

Sergeant-Major William Denny, died since the war.

Sergeant M. J. Dunkum, died since the war; lost a leg at Brandy


Sergeant W. S. Anderson, died at Valley Mountain.

Sergeant Bolden Brown, died in 1862.

Sergeant D. M. Coleman, killed at Fisher's Hill.

Corporal W. M. Cooke, wounded; died since the war.


Ayres, T. J., wounded; died since the war.

Anderson, Meredith, killed at Kernstown.

Austin, M. G., wounded at Gettysburg, and died.
Booker, Charles W., died since the war.

Baughan, W. L., died since the war.

Baughan, William, died in 1862.

Baughan, David, killed at Gettysburg.

Baughan, Robert, mortally wounded at Petersburg.

Cooke, S. W., wounded at Mine Run and died since the war.

Coleman, W. D., killed at Monocacy, Md.

Coleman, W. A., died at Staunton in 1862.
Creasy, Edward, killed at the Wilderness in 1864.

Cunningham, W. H., died in prison.

Dowdy, John M., died in 1861.

Dowdy, E. E., died in 1862.

Dowdy, John D., died in prison.

Dowdy, James, killed at Cedar Mountain.

Dowdy, Wilson M., while in the hospital at Winchester, in 1862, hearing that his company was in a heavy engagement, seized a musket, and running at a double-quick, fainted, fell, and in two days a little mound was raised to mark the spot where this gallant soldier sleeps.

Dunford, John F., killed at Gettysburg.
Edwards, Thomas, died in hospital.

Flippen, Charles, killed at Kernstown.

Flippen, J. T., wounded at Chancellorsville, and died since the


Flippen, Allen, died in 1862.

Flippen, William, died in 1861.

Godsey, Daniel L., died since the war.

Garnett, Robert K., killed at Gettysburg.

Garnett, James S., lost a leg; since died.
Hendrick, Merritt S., died in 1861.
Hatcher, Joseph, died in 1862.

Harris, Joseph N., died since the war.

Jones, Levi, died since the war.

King, George H., was the last man killed at Gettysburg in his company, a few yards from the enemy's line.

Merryman, James, died soon after the war.
Mahr, J. C. L., killed at Kernstown.

Meador, Robert J., wounded at Gettysburg and died since.

Meador, Mike, died since the war.

Meador, John L., died in 1861.
Parker, Thomas, died in 1861.
Parker, Jerry, died since the war.
Parker, I. A., died since the war.
Price, John B., killed at Cedar Mountain.
Snoddy, John S., died since the war.

Shores, Thomas, died since the war.

Wootton, John and A. W., died since the war.

[blocks in formation]

There were twenty-eight wounded and five who lost limbs during the war, and one had his leg, which was wounded, amputated since the war.

[From the Richmond, Va., Dispatch, July 4, 1897.]



How the News was Received in Danville-Some of the Closing Scenes of the Confederacy Vividly Recalled.

(Colonel J. H. AVERILL in Nashville Banner.)

The coming of the remnants of that army in gray, whose deeds so astonished the world a third of a century ago, and the presence among us here of the last survivor of the cabinet of President Davis, brings vividly back some of the closing scenes of the Southern Confederacy, in which the writer participated, and which were several years since written out, and are here retold at the request of the Banner.

The scene I will describe pertains to the evacuation of Richmond and the fifteen days immediately following.

The writer was at the time trainmaster of the Richmond and Danville Railroad, and stationed at Danville, Va., the road then running only from Richmond to Danville, there connecting with the Piedmont road to Greensboro, N. C. How this railroad line, then the mainstay of the Southern Confederacy, the only line of communication between its capital and the Southern States, has grown and extended its lines; how the old Richmond and Danville went down, as the Confederation of States it supported, and how, from that wreck, has arisen the now well-known Southern Railway, permeating every Southern State! Can the growth of that system in any way be attributed to the rapid growth and improvement of the South, and can we paint the picture of the two eras as having any connection? But to our story: It is well remembered by all who lived in the closing days of the Confederacy that the first official news of the intended evacuation of Richmond on that Sunday in April was communicated to its citizens in church, and through the hurried calling of the President from church.

Our first intimation of it was not in being called from church, but at noon on that quiet Sabbath day in Danville, for it was quiet there, 140 miles away from the city, which was so soon to witness the sad

« PreviousContinue »