Page images

« St.

Castle-yard, and few persons, except those of the household, were present. Their Excellencies were received at the grand entrance by Ulster King-of-Arms, who conducted them to the drawingroom, where a number of distinguished personages were presented to their Excellencies. The boys of the Hibernian Military School (numbering about 400), under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Wynyard and Lieutenant-Colonel Speedy, were drawn up in the yard in line at each side of the entrance porch, with colours flying in the centre. The band played several airs, including “Nora Creina,” with great taste, and in good time. As the boys passed out of the Castle-gate, in quick time, the band playing Patrick's Day," with the colours (presented by his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales) flying in front, they were loudly cheered by the spectators. When the presentation had concluded, their Excellencies appeared on the grand balcony, and were warmly received by those assembled in the yard.

Their Excellencies remained on the balcony until the band of the guard of honour had played “St. Patrick's Day," after which they retired. The Castle-gates were then thrown open to the public, and the bands of the 66th regiment and the Hibernian Military School performed a number of national airs, after which they were dismissed, and Earl Spencer went out for a ride in the Phenix Park.

The state reception on the 19th, at the Castle, was attended by deputations from the Municipal Council and the University of Dublin, for the purpose of presenting addresses of congratulation on his appointment to the office of Lord-Lieutenant. The deputations were received in the Presence-chamber. The Lord-Lieutenant appeared in full costume, and the members of the household and his staff were similarly attired. His Excelleney was attended by the Right Hon. Chichester Fortescue, M.P., Chief Secretary ; Sir E. R. Wetherall, Under-Secretary; Sir Bernard Burke, Ulster King-of-Arms; Mr. Roundell, Private Secretary ; Dr. Hatchell, Surgeon to the household; Dr. J. Stannus Hughes, Physician to the household; Colonel Caulfeild, Comptroller of the household; Major Boyle, Gentleman Usher; Colonel Donaldson, State Steward; the Hon. Henry Leeson, Chamberlain ; Colonel Forster, Master of the Horse; several aides-de-camp, and other gentlemen of the household. First came the deputation from the Corporation, who wore their civic robes, and were attended by the municipal officers, with their insignia. In receiving them his Excellency stood at the foot of the throne-an ancient privilege which they esteem; and, in grateful recognition of the concession, their officers deposited the sword and mace of the city at his Excellency's feet. The Chief Secretary, to the right of the Lord-Lieutenant, held the sword of state. All the officers of the Government wore the Windsor uniform. The deputation having been formally introduced, the Lord Mayor read the address, to which the Lord-Lieutenant made a suitable reply. When the Corporation had retired, the deputation from the University 'was introduced. It consisted of the Vice-Chancellor, Sir Joseph Napier, the Provost, Vice-Provost, and a number of the fellows, doctors, and masters. The ViceChancellor read the address, which was received and duly replied to. The Provost informed his Excellency that at a meeting of the Senate, held three days before, it was resolved to present him with the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws, and that among those upon whom a similar degree had been conferred were the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge, and the Duke of Abercorn. His Excellency expressed his grateful sense of the compliment, observing that it afforded him great satisfaction to receive à distinction which had been already conferred upon so many illustrious personages.

18. EXECUTION AT LEWES.-The execution of Martin Brown for the murder of Daniel Baldey, near Brighton, on the 9th of October last, by waylaying and shooting the latter, took place at Lewes. The culprit made a confession, in which he stated that he had shot Baldey by mistake for a labourer named Tuppen, against whom he had a grudge. No one was present at the execution besides the officials of the county and prison, and the reporters. An inquest was afterwards held, and a verdict that the deceased had been put to death in accordance with the warrant was returned.

21. GREAT FIRE AT HULL.—About eight o'clock, p.m., a most destructive fire occurred at Hull. The scene of the disaster was Messrs. Hodge and Co.'s seed warehouse and crushing mill, situate in Hodge-street, Drypool. The premises were very extensive, Messrs. Hodge and Co. being the largest crushers in Hull. The fire was first noticed a few minutes before eight o'clock, and before the police, who were the only fire brigade, could be communicated with, the whole town and the district for miles round was brilliantly illuminated. The fire-engines of the town were speedily in attendance, and the flames were attacked on all sides, but so intensely did they burn, and so rapidly did they spread, that for two hours there was no perceptible diminution. The outbreak of the fire was first discovered by a workman in a warehouse over the press-room, and he at once raised an alarm. The persons first there began to throw buckets of water on the burning cake and seed, but they were quickly driven back by the rapidly augmenting heat, and in a very short time the flames spread to a portion of the works in which were stored several thousand quarters of linseed and about eighty tons of refined oil, in tanks. This portion of the building was new, having been only completed in October. It was about 100 feet long and 45 feet wide, and the upper portion was completely occupied with linseed, which, in a few minutes after the fire reaching it, poured out of every window all on fire. By this means the fire was communicated to a large heap of coals in the yard, which also became ignited. Thus all at one time, seed, oil, and coal, weré blazing, and sending forth a heat so intense that the glazed hats of many of the police officers were completely shrivelled

» for

on their heads. Notwithstanding, the men stuck manfully to their task, and although they saved only a very small portion of the oilmill and warehouses, they prevented the fire spreading to the dwelling-houses which were thickly clustered on all sides of Messrs. Hodge's premises. The origin of the fire was not known. The damage to stock and premises was roughly estimated at about 30,0001. to 40,0001., most of which was covered by insurance. A parcel of seed worth about 20001. was taken into the mill only the day before the fire.

26. SEVEN FISHERMEN DROWNED.-A terrible occurrence happened in the vicinity of Marsh-side, a fishing hamlet near Southport. At a very early hour seven men went out to “ put” shrimps—a mode of fishing in which the man enters the water up to his middle, and pushes before him, by means of a long pole, a large net fastened to a cross-bar at the end. The place where the men were going was a bank in the channel of the Ribble, not far from Lytham. They ought to have returned about seven o'clock, but some hours previous to this time a thick fog came on, and being unable to find their way from the shore, in this place full of gullies, they were all surrounded by the tide and drowned. About seven o'clock, as a fisherman was proceeding across the channel to catch bait, he found several of the nets, hats, and baskets of the deceased men, whose fate was thus discovered. On the alarm being given, large numbers hastened out to search for the bodies, and during the day they were recovered. The following were the names of the deceased :-John Rimmer Marshall, married, leaving six children; William Hesketh, married, three children; Peter Aughton, married, two children ; Robert Wright, married, three children; Peter Wright, married, one child; John Wright, unmarried; Peter Wright, unmarried, eldest son, and the support of his mother, who was left a widow only twelve months before with ten children. Five of the bodies were found in the portion of the bank locally known as John Tomlinson's Brow, and two of the men, Robert Wright and John Wright, were found in the water with their bodies lashed to their nets, and tied together. The scene when the bodies were brought up from the shore was most heartrending.

28. INDECENCY ON THE STAGE.—The Lord Chamberlain sent the following warning to the managers of all the London theatres :“ The Lord Chamberlain presents his compliments to the manager of the

He has learnt with regret, from observations in the press and from other sources, that there is much reason to complain of the impropriety of costume of the ladies in the pantomimes, burlesques, &c., which are now being performed in some of the metropolitan theatres. He has noticed for some time past that this evil has been gradually on the increase, but he has been most unwilling to interfere in a matter which he considers ought more properly to be left to the discretion and good taste of the managers themselves. Now, however, that the question has been taken up by the press, and public opinion is being expressed upon it, he feels himself compelled to call the serious attention of the managers to the subject; for he cannot but remark the discredit that now justly falls on the stage, and the objections which are being raised against it by many who have hitherto frequented the theatres, but who now profess themselves unwilling to permit the ladies of their families to sanction by their presence such questionable exhibitions. The Lord Chamberlain, with every anxiety to promote the interests of the stage, trusts that he may confidently appeal to the managers to assist in abating the evil complained of, which threatens to become a public scandal. He has purposely addressed these observations in the form of a circular to the managers of all theatres under his jurisdiction, without imputing blame to any in particular, and will gladly receive from them any observations or suggestions which they may wish to offer on the subject.-Lord Chamberlain's office, January, 28, 1869.”

30. FUNERAL OF MR. ERNEST JOnes. The remains of Mr. Ernest Jones, who died on the 26th, were conveyed to their last restingplace in Ardwick Cemetery, Manchester. The funeral cortége left his late residence in Higher Brompton at half-past two o'clock, and traversed a distance of between two and three miles, through Strangeways, Market-street, and London-road to the cemetery, arriving there about a quarter to five o'clock. It was one of the largest public funerals which has been seen in Manchester for some years. First came the deputy-marshals, the mutes, six abreast, then a band of music playing the “Dead March,” and after these followed the friends of the deceased, the executive of the United Liberal Party, and the executive of the Reform League. Next came the hearse, followed by two mourning-coaches and about fifty private carriages, the friends on foot who had joined the funeral on its way, six and eight abreast, closing up the procession. The funeral was nearly half an hour in passing any given point, and several thousand persons joined in the procession. The streets were lined by thousands of persons assembled to see the procession, and at the Assize Courts, the Market-place, Infirmary-square, and Ardwick-green, the crowds were very dense. Among the gentlemen in the carriages were the Mayor of Manchester and Captain Palin, Sir Elkanah and Mr. Benjamin Armitage, Mr. Jacob Bright, M.P. ; Mr. Beales, Mr. Odger, and Mr. Howell (of London); Mr. Thomas Potter, M.P., and Mr. Francis Taylor. On arriving at the cemetery only the hearse, mourning-coaches, and people walking were admitted inside the gates. The pall-bearers were Mr. Edward Hooson, Mr. Jacob Bright, M.P., Mr. Elijah Dixon, Mr. Edmond Beales, Mr. Alderman Heywood, Mr. T. B. Potter, M.P., Sir E. Armitage, Mr. F. Taylor, Mr. James Crossley, the Rev. H. M. Steinthall, Mr. H. Rawson, and Mr. Thomasson, of Bolton. The carriers were Mr. Benjamin Whiteley, Mr. John Bowes, Mr. J. Cunliffe, and Mr. T. Topping one of the Chartists arrested, like Mr. Jones, in 1848). After the funeral service had been read, and he coffin deposited in a temporary grave (until a vault was constructed), Mr. Beales, of London, delivered a brief funeral oration, in which he described the deceased as having combined with the condition of the scholar, the genius of the poet, the fervid eloquence of the orator, and the courageous spirit of the patriot, whom no prosecution could frighten from the advocacy of his principles, and whom no threatened loss of fortune or seductive offers of advancement could tempt to abandon them. He was the same from the beginning to the end, and his life was a life of beautiful consistency. The whole proceedings were orderly, including the passage through the streets, and very impressive. Among the mutes who preceded the procession were four survivors of the memorable Peterloo massacre, as it was called. Besides the deputation above mentioned were others from Ashton, Birmingham, Bolton, Bacup, Buxton, Bury, Bradford, Bollington, Carlisle, Derby, Glossop, Hyde, Huddersfield, Halifax, Holloway (London), Leeds, Liverpool, Oldham, Rochdale, Scarborough, Stockport, and many other towns.


cession up

the nave.

4. ENTHRONEMENT OF THE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY.-The ceremony of the enthronement of the Most Rev. Dr. A. C. Tait as the new Archbishop took place in Canterbury Cathedral. It was attended by a numerous company of visitors from London and elsewhere, who came by special trains on purpose. The whole length of the cathedral, from Becket's Crown to the great western door, was filled with spectators, leaving a narrow avenue for the pro

The choir was also full of people. There were no decorations of the building.

The procession, formed by the members of the cathedral staff, who assembled at eleven o'clock in the cloisters, was arranged in the following order :-Schoolmaster, King's scholars, Grammar Master of choristers, choristers, lay clerks, minor canons, Auditor, and Surveyor. At the same hour the Dean and Canons, Honorary Canons, and six preachers met in the audit-room, where was produced the mandate for the enthronement of the Archbishop. The mandate was duly read, and the Ven. Archdeacon Harrison (the proxy of the Archdeacon of Canterbury) decreed, in the established form, to proceed with the enthronement forthwith.

The Archbishop and attendant Bishops were then conducted from the Deanery by the Dean and Canons, Honorary Canons, and six preachers, to the cloisters, where they joined the procession, the six preachers and Honorary Canons preceding the Canons, the attendant Bishops following them; the Archdeacon or his proxy going immediately before the Archbishop, and the Dean and Vicedean and the Archbishop's chaplains and officers attending his

« PreviousContinue »