Page images

Holstein, Princess Helena of Great Britain and Ireland, was safely delivered of a Prince at six a.m. to-day.

"Her Royal Highness and the infant Prince are going on perfectly well.



Her Royal Highness made speedy progress to recovery.


4. MURDERS AND SUICIDE AT BLACKWALL.-A double murder was discovered at Poplar, at 271, High-street, within a very few yards of the end of Preston-road. On the opposite side of the street was a confectioner's shop, for some years occupied by a Mrs. Browne, aged fifty, who had been separated from her husband for the last twenty years, but who contrived to maintain herself and her daughter, aged twenty-three, who lived with her, from the profits of the business. Both of them were seen in the shop by neighbours on the evening of the 2nd. The next morning some astonishment was felt at the shop not being opened at the ordinary hour, and, as it remained closed throughout the day, several persons knocked, but could not succeed in obtaining any answer. About noon, on the following day, it was still closed, and no admission could be obtained. A brother and sister of Mrs. Browne's called upon Mr. Binden, boot and shoe maker, of 267, High-street, two doors from Mrs. Browne's shop, and asked permission to pass through his back premises. Obtaining a ladder, and being accompanied by Mr. Binden, they scaled the intervening garden-walls, and, having broken a pane of glass in the window of the back room on the first floor, effected an entrance. Upon going down-stairs into the back parlour, and opening the shutters, a most horrible spectacle presented itself. On the table the supper-cloth was spread, and this and the various articles upon it, such as plates, glasses, knives and forks, were covered with blood. On the floor of the room, near the piano, lay the lifeless body of Mrs. Browne, with her throat cut in the most frightful manner. The head was thrown back, and the right arm extended, the body being covered with blood. Beneath her was found the sheath of a clasp-knife. On returning to the room above, through the window of which admission had been gained, and making an examination, the body of Miss Browne, the daughter, was discovered in bed, her head being almost severed from the body. She was clothed in her night-dress only, except that a flannel-petticoat was partly wrapped round her head, and she was lying on her right side, with her

right arm extended. The bed-clothes and bedding were saturated with blood. The police authorities were immediately communicated with, and Dr. Brownfield, the divisional surgeon, was called in. He examined the bodies, and expressed an opinion that in both cases death had occurred more than twenty-four hours previously. From the position of the daughter's body in bed, and other circumstances, he considered it probable that her injuries were inflicted while she was asleep, and that death must have been instantaneous. Mrs. Browne and her daughter were at the time of the murder the only occupants of the shop and premises; but an engineer, named Bradshaw, aged forty, had been previously lodging with them for a considerable time, and had only left a fortnight since. This man was seen by some of the neighbours passing along the street, only a few doors from Mrs. Browne's shop, on the evening of the 2nd. In the course of the day the police received information to the effect that an engineer answering the description of Bradshaw had committed suicide by cutting his throat on the previous morning, at a house in Campbell-road, Bow. Mr. Binden, who knew Bradshaw well, accompanied the police to this place, and immediately identified the body. He had been occupying the upper part of the house for the last fortnight, and was living with a woman whom he called Mrs. Bradshaw. His clothes bore stains and traces of blood, which it was stated could not have resulted from the injuries he inflicted on himself. An inquest on the bodies of the two women was held. Although some letters were read, and some facts elicited which let in a little light upon the character of Bradshaw and his correspondents, nothing which came out appeared to furnish a clue to any thing like a cause for the commission of so dreadful a crime. The jury found a verdict of "Wilful murder" against Bradshaw, appending an expression of their admiration of the completeness with which the police had got up the case. A verdict of felo de se had previously been returned in the case of Bradshaw.

13. LAUNCH OF THE "DRUID."-The screw-corvette "Druid " was launched at Deptford Dockyard, in the presence of Princess Louisa and Prince Arthur. On arriving, their Royal Highnesses were received by Captain Arthur P. E. Wilmot, C.B., Captain Superintendent; Admiral Sir Henry Denham; Captain Edmondstone, C.B.; and Mr. R. P. Saunders, the master shipwright. Princess Louisa christened the vessel in the usual style; and with a chisel and mallet cut the cord to which the weight for knocking away the dog-shore was attached, and the ship moved down into the water amid the hearty cheers of a large number of spectators. Their Royal Highnesses and the principal visitors drank success to the "Druid ;" and with this the last of the launches at Deptford was brought to a close. Captain Wilmot called for three hearty cheers for Princess Louisa, which was heartily responded to, and, with the dockyard band playing the National Air, their Royal Highnesses were conducted to their carriages, and returned home.

The vessel was designed by Mr. E. J. Reed, C.B., Chief Constructor of the Navy. Her burden is 1322 tons. Her principal dimensions are-length between perpendiculars, 220 feet 0 inch; length of keel for tonnage, 194 feet; breadth extreme, 36 feet; depth in hold, 19 feet 74 inches.

15. SHOCK OF AN EARTHQUAKE.-An earthquake shock was severely felt at Accrington, in Lancashire, about four or five minutes past six, Greenwich time. Accounts varied as to the direction taken by the earthquake wave, some describing it as from the north-east, and going south-west, and others the reverse. A low murmuring noise was heard, and this was followed by a shaking of the windows and the upper portion of the houses. Indeed, the general impression produced on people's minds was that the house of their neighbour was falling in. Large numbers of persons ran out of their houses into the street, and as nothing could be discovered, a report spread that the gas-works had blown up, and people rushed to the spot. At the railway station the shock was severely felt. The pointsman, who occupied a stone building, raised a considerable height, and adjoining some arches, ran out much frightened. The oscillation of the building was very perceptible. The station manager, who was writing at the time, was violently shaken, and thought a collision had occurred.

At Blackburn the shock was felt in Church-street, in Victoriastreet, Richmond-terrace, and many other places. Great alarm was created, in some instances the inmates leaving their houses. Mr. Ainsworth, head-master of the Grammar School, stated that the vibration was so strong as to cause the doors of the wardrobe to oscillate violently. Mr. Moulden, draper, of Church-street, heard the unusual noise, and thought the beams supporting the upper stories were giving way. At the Reform Club the vibration was felt distinctly in every room. The shock was general throughout the town, and was accompanied by a subdued rumbling sound.

At Middleton the motion lasted about fifteen seconds. The dwelling-houses in the higher parts of the town were very much shaken. The shock was accompanied with a low rumbling sound. Several persons stated that they were very nearly thrown from their feet by the shock; and a general rattle among the crockery in the cupboards was remarked.

At Rawtenstall the shock was severe. The mills had just stopped, and the workpeople were about to leave. People ran out of the houses in all directions. Bells were rung, and door-knockers and pots and windows shaken.

On the railway line between Rochdale and Shawforth some railway waggons were noticed suddenly to run against each other. Walls were seen to oscillate, and hundreds of people ran startled into the streets. At the Rochdale railway station the signalman and two or three porters were startled by the upheaving of the ground.

The shock was distinctly felt at Dudmanstone, near Huddersfield. Mrs. Haigh, the wife of Mr. W. R. Haigh, of the firm of Messrs. A. and S. Henry and Co., about six o'clock p.m., along with two other ladies, felt the house vibrating in such a manner as to create alarm. The windows rattled, and the chinaware in the room shook, and the door of a wardrobe flew violently


Some thirty-three years ago a shock of earthquake was felt in South Lancashire, but was only slight compared with the present earthquake.

19. MURPHY RIOT AT NORTH SHIELDS.-This evening the Odd Fellows' Hall, where Murphy, the "No Popery" lecturer, was addressing a large audience, was attacked by 400 armed Irishmen, who fired some shots into the room, and then smashed all the windows with stones. The police fortunately got the front door leading to the hall closed before the Irish could effect an entrance, and Murphy's audience were enabled to escape by a back way. The military had been called out, and remained picketed in the town-hall, and seventy-four of the First Northumberland Artillery Volunteers were sworn in as special constables. When the riot commenced Murphy was lecturing to men exclusively, and it was known to the authorities that the Irish had concerted a plot to attack the hall. The main body of them came from Jarrow, Walker, and Willington-quay, and there was no doubt the whole of them were armed with formidable bludgeons. They came into the street three deep, and in military order, and were directed by a couple of leaders in their attack upon the hall. The leaders first fired a couple of shots from revolvers through the windows of the hall, and then there was a general attack made on it with stones. The few policemen who were guarding the main entrance got the front door closed, and thus prevented the Irish from getting into the hall, else there is no doubt there would have been serious bloodshed. As the back entrance was open, when the stones came flying into the hall thick and fast, the body of the audience escaped by the back way, and the front door withstood the attack the Irish were making upon it, until the police came up in a strong body and beat away the assailants. They did not trouble themselves to take any prisoners into custody, but belaboured the rioters right and left with sticks and staves, who very soon made a retreat; but they did not get away until a considerable number of their heads were broken, and wounded Irishmen kept dropping into the surgeons' shops in the neighbourhood in the night to have their heads dressed. None of the audience in the hall were hurt by the large stones which were hurled in among them, and Murphy and his followers, expecting that the Irish would force an entrance into the hall and make a charge upon them, retreated to the platform, and broke up the chairs, with the fragments of which they armed themselves for defence.

TERRIFIC GALE.-The most violent gale, and the most de

structive in its effects, that had been experienced in the Channel Islands for many years, passed over Jersey on this and the following day. The gale began in the morning, the wind being from the west-south-west, and continued to increase during the day, accompanied with heavy showers of rain. The gusts of wind, which were most vehement, reached their greatest height during the early hours of the 20th, when a perfect hurricane prevailed. Daylight brought to view evidence of the intensity of the gale in the vast destruction that had been accomplished in a few hours. Large trees were torn up by the roots, and others split into fragments; gates were blown down; tiles, slates, and chimneypots strewed the streets in every direction; garden-walls were blown to the ground, and numerous roofs were partly carried off. In St. Lawrence's parish a large vinery recently erected by Mr. Gibbs at a cost of 2007. was totally destroyed. The ends of a pavillion at Grève-de-Lecq were blown in, and the roofs of the barracks at that place damaged. In all the parishes destruction to a greater or less extent was effected. The most serious was a fatal accident at St. Brelade's, where Mr. John Cappelain, landlord of the British Hotel, lost his life. The deceased was sitting eating his supper in the kitchen of his house, at ten o'clock at night, when the chimney-stack, blown down by the gale, fell through the roof, smashed the flooring of the room above, and fell upon the deceased, killing him on the spot. Half an hour elapsed before the deceased could be got out from among the rubbish, when he was found with his chin resting on the edge of the table and a large beam lying on the back of his neck. A vessel, supposed to be French, was seen to go down near La Rocque; and a French chasse-marée was driven by the gale into Gorey harbour without any one on board of her, the crew, it was supposed, having been washed overboard. The gale was severely felt on the French coast also. Near to Granville a large portion of the telegraph line was blown down, so that the telegraphic communication with the island was interrupted. The gale considerably abated by the evening of the 20th.

Fearful destruction of life and property was also caused on the Cornish coast. The brig "Ann Jones," of Plymouth, Symonds, master, ran ashore two miles west of Boscastle, and five minutes afterwards went to pieces. The captain and three of the crew managed to clamber up the cliff and were saved, but the mate and two ordinary seamen were drowned. A schooner became a total wreck about a mile from this scene. The schooner "Sylph," of St. Ives, Williams, master, from Neath, was seen to go down off St. Agnes. The coastguard were in attendance and fired four rockets, but failed to get a line on the wreck, and the crew, five in number, perished. The brig "T. C.," Popham, master, from Waterford, with oats, for Southampton, went ashore under the cliffs at Portreath about eight o'clock on Saturday night, and the entire crew were drowned. The vessel was seen from Portreath about five p.m., some miles to the east of the place, with bare poles and a flag of distress

« PreviousContinue »