Page images

riding one of the oldest and most favourite of his hunters, Old Saltfish, which was discovered lying near the master whom it had served so faithfully for some fifteen years.

The inquest on the bodies of the deceased was held on the 5th, at Newby Hall, before Mr. Rhodes, coroner for the liberty of Ripon. After hearing the evidence of Mr. H. F. Vyner and Mr. R. S. Crompton, of Azerley, which supported the main facts as previously reported, the coroner summed up, remarking on the painful character of the occurrence, the circumstances of which left no doubt that it was purely of an accidental nature. The jury, without any hesitation, returned a verdict of " Accidental death.

This dreadful accident caused deep sorrow in a large district of the country, and plunged many highly respectable families into mourning

The funeral of Sir Charles Slingsby was celebrated on the 11th. There was an immense concourse of spectators, whose demeanour was in all respects befitting the melancholy occasion. There were many gentlemen present from York, Leeds, Knaresborough, Harrogate, Ripon, Boroughbridge, many of the neighbouring villages, and even from more distant parts of the country. The whole of the shops in Knaresborough were closed, and the town had a truly solemn appearance. The body of the deceased baronet was interred in the Slingsby chapel, wherein lie the remains of a long line of his ancestors and other relatives. Among the nobility and gentry present were the Earl of Feversham, the Earl of Abergavenny; Lord Wenlock, Lord Middleton, Viscount Galway, M.P.; the Hon. George Lascelles, the Hon. E. Lascelles, the Hon. and Rev. J. W. Lascelles, the Hon. Admiral Duncombe; Mr. J. D. Dent, M.P.; M. C. B. Denison, M.P.; Mr. T. Collins, jun., M.P. ; Mr. George Lane Fox, &c.

6. FATAL COĻLISION IN THE CHANNEL.-A furious gale blew throughout the whole of this night, and considerably damaged many vessels. The “Calcutta,” of 2000 tons burden, Captain Owen, with 270 miles of telegraph cable, for the Persian Gulf, came into collision off the Lizard with a Prussian barque, the “Emma,” bound from Cardiff to Barcelona. The former vessel was abandoned sixteen miles off the Lizard, and seven or eight men, including the captain, were drowned. The “Emma” immediately sank, with the master and six of the crew. Eight of the crew of the “ Calcutta" succeeded in landing at Mount's Bay on the Sth. Tidings were brought the next day from Mullion that one of the lifeboats of the “ Calcutta” had been washed ashore there with some clothes in her, but no crew. Soon after there arrived at Falmouth the Greek brig “Chrissopighi,” from Ibrail, for orders, with five of the crew and three cable men of the “ Calcutta,” and four more of the crew of the

Emma,” who were taken out of the “Calcutta's” boat, in charge of the third mate, at two p.m. The Cadgwith lifeboat reached Falmouth from the “Calcutta,” which she had boarded off the Lizard, having rescued from her one midshipman and seven of the crew, and

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

the French lugger“ Lucie” also put in at the same time, with Mr. Rawlings, the second mate, and five more of the seamen she had rescued from one of the ship's boats. Captain Owen, the chief mate, the chief engineer, Mr. Wright, a midshipman, the cook, steward, and four seamen were unfortunately drowned alongside while in the act of lowering the gig-boat, the hook of the after-tackle having broken and cast them all into the sea. Two of the cable men were also drowned in the act of boarding the Greek brig. Prior to the crew quitting the “ Calcutta” they had thrown overboard 120 miles of the cable from the fore tank, which they had buoyed. The vessel had when abandoned ten feet of water in the main hold, and the two fore compartments were full of water.

Great praise was due to the crews of the Lizard and Cadgwith lifeboats for their promptitude and great exertions in rendering the good service performed by them.

7. DOUBLE MURDER IN POPLAR.-A horrible murder was committed at No. 2, Russell-place, Preston-road, Poplar, this evening. The house, which consisted of five rooms, was occupied by John William Cooper, a boiler maker, aged twenty-five, and his wife, Sarah Ann Cooper, about the same age; her grandfather, Peter Pearson, aged eighty-six, who was very deaf, and almost blind; his daughter, Eliza Taff, mother of Mrs. Cooper, and her husband, George Taff. This afternoon, being Sunday, Mr. Pearson, Mr. and Mrs. Taff, and Mrs. Cooper were at home, but at half-past five o'clock in the evening Mrs. Taff went out to visit a relative in the East India Dock-road, and her husband left the house about seven o'clock. At that time there was only the old man Pearson and his granddaughter, Mrs. Cooper, at home. Mrs. Taff returned at eight o'clock, and not being able to obtain admission in front, got over a back wall with a neighbour. On entering the kitchen she saw her father and daughter lying quite dead, with their throats cut. There had evidently been a struggle, as the floor was covered with blood as well as the furniture in the kitchen. There was a long springback clasp-knife lying on the floor near the bodies, and it was believed the murders were committed with this weapon. It was said to belong to John William Cooper, who was supposed to have committed the murders. There was a bowl of water in the kitchen which had evidently been used by the murderer in washing the blood from his hands.

Cooper absconded, but he was so well known that he could not long escape the active search made for him by the police. He was, moreover, known to have lost the thumb of his left hand. During the whole of the next day Inspector Smith, of the K division of police, and Inspectors Thomson and Meiklejohn, of the detective department, Scotland-yard, were actively engaged in making inquiries and endeavouring to trace him. An album containing photographic portraits was found in the house in Russell-place. It had contained a photograph of Cooper and his brother, and both had been in the album for some time. The two portraits were missing when



the police opened the album, and it was supposed that Cooper tore them out of the book to prevent copies being multiplied after the murders were discovered.

An inquest on the two bodies was opened before Mr. Humphreys, coroner, and a jury on the 8th, and concluded on the 14th. William Gooch, an undertaker, described the position of the bodies of the deceased persons, and said the old man Pearson had one hand upon a chair, and was slipping from it on the body of his granddaughter. Julia Turner, of No. 3, Russell-place, heard the old man Pearson, who was quite blind, calling out “Sarah, Sarah!” at half

” past six o'clock on Sunday evening. Soon afterwards she saw Cooper, the husband of the murdered woman, leave the house and proceed in the direction of the river. Dr. Henry Letheby, Medical Officer of Health of the city of London, said he had received a paper parcel containing a clasp-knife stained with clotted blood, which he examined and found to be human and “ living blood.” The coroner summed

up the evidence, and the jury returned a verdict of “Wilful murder against John William Cooper.”

Cooper's remains were discovered in the Thames, on March 5, off Shadwell Dock-stairs. He was dressed in the clothes in which he left home on the evening of the murder, and had evidently committed suicide.

10. COLLIERY EXPLOSION IN STAFFORDSHIRE.—An explosion of fire-damp occurred at the Woodshutts Colliery, Talke-o'-th’-Hill, Staffordshire, belonging to Messrs. Cooper and Haslope, in the neighbourhood of the pit at which ninety men were killed in December, 1865. There were two men killed instantly; two others were so severely burnt that they only lived a short time after the explosion, and others were more or less injured. The deceased men were named James Griffiths, William Smith, Thomas Cooke, and Joseph Haines. Besides the loss of human life, some horses were killed. Had the explosion occurred earlier, when there were more of the men at work, the loss of life must have been enormous. At the coroner's inquiry a number of witnesses were called, and their evidence went to show that the discipline of the pit was very lax, and that, in defiance of the rules and the orders of the management, men smoked in the pit, worked with candles where their use was prohibited, carried keys with which they unlocked their lamps at will, and fired shots without instructions. The underlooker, instead of seeing that the rules were obeyed, connived at their infringement, even admitting in his evidence that he had been in the habit of opening his lamp for the purpose of supplying men who wished to smoke with lights. The ventilation of that part of the pit where the accident occurred had been somewhat neglected, though as to the mine generally the witnesses were agreed in saying that the supply of fresh air was on the most ample scale. Pipes, tobacco, matches, and lamp-keys were found in the pockets of three of the deceased men, the lamps of two were found unlocked and open, and the remains of a candle were found among the clothes of another

[merged small][ocr errors][merged small]

man. Both the Government inspector and the coroner severely commented upon the loose discipline of the mine, and the latter remarked that the underlooker had shown in his evidence his total unfitness for the post. The jury found a verdict of “ Accidental death," but censured the underlooker for allowing men to smoke in the pit, and recommended greater precautions to prevent smoking and the removal of lamp-tops.

14. DREADFUL ACCIDENT IN GLASGOW.–At an early hour this morning, when the storm which had been raging since the previous afternoon was at its height, a frightful calamity occurred in Glasgow, close to the banks of the Kelvin, and in the immediate vicinity of the West-end-park. A tall chimney-stalk, from 80 feet to 100 feet high, in connexion with the paper-mill of Mr. Robert Bruce, and exposed to all the fury of the south-west wind, gave way at the hour mentioned, and fell right aslant a row of one-story cottages standing a few yards distant. Four of the roofs were completely crushed by the mass of falling bricks, and the inmates, for the most part, perished in the wreck of their tenements. Seven persons, most of them young women, were killed on the spot, and an eighth, who was removed to the infirmary, died there shortly after. The tenants of the two houses nearest the stalk had a narrow escape. When awoke by the crash they found the roofs above them shattered, and the walls bulged in, but they succeeded in crawling out without receiving any injuries worth mentioning. The mass of the stalk, in fact, had only grazed it, and had fallen with its full weight on the houses adjoining. An old woman had a remarkable escape. She had risen from her bed, and was sitting at the fireside when the crash came.

Her son and two daughters, asleep in bed, were killed, but she herself received no serious hurt.

24. CONSECRATION OF THREE BISHOPS IN WESTMINSTER ABBEY.This morning a very imposing ceremony was witnessed in Westminster Abbey. Dr. Wordsworth, until lately Archdeacon of Westminster, was to be consecrated to the bishopric of Lincoln, in place of Dr. John Jackson, now Bishop of London, and, as a mark of respect to him, both Houses of Convocation, then in Session, suspended their sittings, that they might be present at the service. Consequently among the large number of Bishops who were present there were some departures from the usual attire, and while some wore the ordinary episcopal habit, others appeared in the more gorgeous Convocation robes. The Lower House of Convocation contributed its share of animation to the scene. The deans and doctors of divinity who were present wore their crimson and scarlet robes, while other proctors wore the black and red, black and white, and simple black hoods, which designated the degrees to which they had attained in their respective Universities. The other Bishops to be consecrated were the Rev. J. F. Turner, late Rector of North Tedworth (a son of the late Lord Justice Turner), who had been appointed to the Australian bishopric of Grafton and Armidale, in the place of Dr. Sawyer, who was acci


dentally drowned ; and the Rev. T. G. Hatchard, late Rector of St. Nicholas, Guildford, who had been appointed to the bishopric of Mauritius, vacant by the resignation of the Rev. Dr. V. W. Ryan. The procession consisted of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Bishop of London, the Bishop of Lichfield, the Bishop of Bangor, the Bishop of Rochester, Bishop Ryan, and other prelates; the Prolocutor of the Lower House of Convocation, accompanied by the Dean of Westminster, the Dean of Canterbury, the Archdeacon of Taunton, the Warden of All Souls' College, Oxford, Dr. Jebb, and a large number of other gentlemen, the VicarGeneral, and their legal officials. There was a full choral service; the sermon being preached by the Ven. E. Bickersteth, D.D., Archdeacon of Buckingham. The Bishops-nominate were afterwards presented to the Archbishop of Canterbury, who admitted them to the episcopal order by the imposition of hands. The Holy Communion was afterwards celebrated; and with this the proceedings of the day terminated.

25. FEARFUL ACCIDENT TO A Railway Arch.—A fatal accident occurred on the Great Eastern Railway. It appeared that in Waterloo-town, Bethnal-green, Messrs. Lucas, the well-known contractors, had occasion to make some repairs for the directors of the Great Eastern Railway Company; and in order to carry out the work, they had a number of labourers and carpenters at work under one of the railway arches, which were about sixty feet in height. At a quarter to four in the afternoon a heavily-laden coal-train passed over the arch, and, without any warning, the whole structure, which was composed of brick, iron-work, and timber, fell in, burying the men under several feet of rubbish. Such was the crash, that the windows in the houses immediately behind the arches were shattered, and the whole neighbourhood was alarmed. The police were soon on the spot, and their services were of the greatest use in keeping back the crowd. A hundred labourers, acting under the orders of one of Messrs. Lucas's superintendents, were at once set to work to remove the rubbish, and extricate those buried under it. Fourteen persons were got out alive. The falling timber and iron girders had formed a sort of arch, which saved them from being utterly crushed by the tons of rubbish heaped above. The bodies of five men were dug out from underneath a mass of earth. The wounded were taken to the London Hospital. At the time of the accident one of the columns underneath the arch was being repaired, and, the ironwork being weakened, the train passing over it caused it to give way.

26. ACCOUCHEMENT OF THE PRINCESS CHRISTIAN.—Her Royal Highness the Princess Christian gave birth to a son at Windsor. The following bulletin was issued :

“Frogmore House, Windsor, February 26. “Her Royal Highness the Princess Christian of Schleswig

« PreviousContinue »