Page images

constructed), Mr. Beales, of London, delivered a brief funeral oration, in which he described the deceased as having combined with the condition of the scholar, the genius of the poet, the fervid eloquence of the orator, and the courageous spirit of the patriot, whom no prosecution could frighten from the advocacy of his principles, and whom no threatened loss of fortune or seductive offers of advancement could tempt to abandon them. He was the same from the beginning to the end, and his life was a life of beautiful consistency. The whole proceedings were orderly, including the passage through the streets, and very impressive. Among the mutes who preceded the procession were four survivors of the memorable Peterloo massacre, as it was called. Besides the deputation above mentioned were others from Ashton, Birmingham, Bolton, Bacup, Buxton, Bury, Bradford, Bollington, Carlisle, Derby, Glossop, Hyde, Huddersfield, Halifax, Holloway (London), Leeds, Liverpool, Oldham, Rochdale, Scarborough, Stockport, and many other towns.


4. ENTHRONEMENT OF THE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY.—The ceremony of the enthronement of the Most Rev. Dr. A. C. Tait as the new Archbishop took place in Canterbury Cathedral. It was attended by a numerous company of visitors from London and elsewhere, who came by special trains on purpose. The whole length of the cathedral, from Becket's Crown to the great western door, was filled with spectators, leaving a narrow avenue for the procession up the nave. The choir was also full of people. There were no decorations of the building.

The procession, formed by the members of the cathedral staff, who assembled at eleven o'clock in the cloisters, was arranged in the following order :

-Schoolmaster, King's scholars, Grammar Master of choristers, choristers, lay clerks, minor canons, Auditor, and Surveyor. At the same hour the Dean and Canons, Honorary Canons, and six preachers met in the audit-room, where was produced the mandate for the enthronement of the Archbishop. The mandate was duly read, and the Ven. Archdeacon Harrison (the proxy of the Archdeacon of Canterbury) decreed, in the established form, to proceed with the enthronement forthwith.

The Archbishop and attendant Bishops were then conducted from the Deanery by the Dean and Canons, Honorary Canons, and six preachers, to the cloisters, where they joined the procession, the six preachers and Honorary Canons preceding the Canons, the attendant Bishops following them; the Archdeacon or his proxy going immediately before the Archbishop, and the Dean and Vicedean and the Archbishop's chaplains and officers attending his Grace, the Dean and Vice-dean being respectively on his right and left hand. His train was supported by Mr. Craufurd Tait, of Christ Church College, Oxford, his only son, and Mr. John Hassard, his private secretary, both in evening dress, and wearing a lily of the valley. Eight of the Archbishop's ten chaplains immediately followed in the following order, walking two and two :The Rev. Professor Lightfoot, D.D., of Trinity College, Cambridge, and the Rev. C. W. Sandford, M.A., Senior Censor of Christ Church, Oxford; the Rev. Edward Parry, M.A., of Baliol College, Oxford, Rector of Acton, Middlesex, and the Rev. W. H. Fremantle, M.A., formerly Fellow of All Souls' College, Oxford, Rector of St. Mary's, Bryanstone-square; the Rev. Albert H. Sitwell, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, Vicar of St. Peter's, Stepney, and the Rev. William Knight, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, Rector of High Ham, Somerset; the Rev. Edmund H. Fisher, M.A., Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, and the Rev. William F. Erskine Knollys, M.A., of Merton College, Oxford, Vicar of Holy Trinity, Twickenham, and Whitehall Preacher. The Rev. A. Ramsay Campbell, M.A., Rector of Aston, Yorkshire, and the Rev. Canon Martineau, M.A., Rector of St. Mildred's, Bread-street, City, the remaining chaplains, were unavoidably absent. The Vicar-General (Sir Travers Twiss), Dr. Robertson, Mr. F. H. Dyke, Mr. J. B. Lee, and Mr. W. C. Cullen, his Grace's legal officers, in full robes, followed-all the Bishops present having preceded the Archbishop in the procession.

The attendant prelates were the Bishops of London, Oxford, Hereford, St. David's, Peterborough, Ely, and Honolulu. The Bishop of Rochester, Provincial Chaplain, was absent, from illness. The Dean of Westminster was also in the procession. The clergy (of whom there were between 200 and 300), arrayed in their surplices, as soon as they were joined by the Archbishop, moved, two and two, from the cloisters to the west door of the cathedral, at the head of the procession. They advanced up the nave and steps, the organ striking up as soon as the first pair set foot within the church. After passing the choir, the long array of clergymen divided on the steps leading to the altar, to the right and to the left, and took possession of the seats that had been provided for them on the steps. The Archbishop and attendant Bishops were then conducted by the Archdeacon's proxy, the Dean and ViceDean, to the space within the rails at the east end, where chairs were set for them. The approach of his Grace was made known to those within the choir by the distant voices of the choir, who, on reaching the west door, began chanting the 121st and 122nd Psalms (Tallis), which they continued to do until they had taken their places in the choir. The "Hallelujah Chorus

was then sung, and the usual morning service proceeded with.

After the first lesson had been read, the Archdeacon's proxy (Archdeacon Harrison) went down from his stall and conducted the Archbishop, attended by the Dean and Vice-dean, to the

throne, in which he caused him to sit, when the Vicar-general presented to the Archdeacon's proxy the mandate of enthronement, and requested him to proceed.

The mandate was then read by the auditor, after which Archdeacon Harrison pronounced the form of induction. The Archbishop remained on his throne, and the Dean, Vice-dean, and Archdeacon's proxy having returned to their stalls, the service proceeded with the Benedicite to the conclusion of the morning service. Then Archdeacon Harrison, with the Bishop of London (Provincial Dean) and the proxies of the Bishops of Winchester, Lincoln, Salisbury, and Rochester, and the Dean and Vice-dean, conducted the Archbishop to the marble chair, where, the Archbishop being seated, the Archdeacon's proxy repeated the form, with a certain variation referring to the metropolitical dignity of the province of Canterbury. This being done, the Archbishop, attended by the Dean and Vice-dean, was conducted by the Archdeacon's proxy to the Dean's stall, and seated therein. The Te Deum was then sung, and the Dean pronounced the suffrages, while the choir gave the responses. A special prayer was offered up by the Archdeacon ; and the service ended by his Grace giving the blessing from the Dean's stall. The members of the various cathedral bodies passed in procession to the chapter-house. There, the Archbishop having taken the chief seat, Archdeacon Harrison said, “I, Benjamin Harrison, acting as proxy for James Croft, Archdeacon of Canterbury, assign and appoint this seat to you, as Lord Archbishop of Canterbury.” He then administered the following affirmation

"My Lord Archbishop --You declare that you will maintain the rights and liberties of this Church, and will observe the approved customs thereof; and, as far as it concerns your Grace, will cause the same to be observed by others, so far as such customs are not repugnant to God's Word, the laws, statutes, provisions, and ordinances of the realm, or to Her Majesty's prerogative, and not otherwise."

The Archbishop having declared this, the promise of canonical obedience to his Grace was severally made by the Archdeacon's proxy, the Dean, Canons, Honorary Canons, six preachers, schoolmasters, auditor, lay clerks, and other officers of the cathedral body. The Dean then dismissed the congregation.

LAMENTABLE HUNTING ACCIDENT IN YORKSHIRE.-A sad fatality attended the meeting of the York and Ainsty fox-hounds, being no less than the sacrifice of six lives. They were-Sir Charles Slingsby, of Scriven-park, near Knaresborough, the master of the hounds; Mr. E. Lloyd, of Lingcroft, near York; Mr. Edmund Robinson, of York; Mr. William Orvys, the first whipper-in ; Mr. James Warriner, gardener at Newby Hall, the seat of Lady Mary Vyner; and Mr. Christopher Warriner, the son of the former. The Warriners had the charge of the boat. The hounds met this morning, at eleven o'clock, at Stainley House, half-way between Harrogate and Ripon. There was a large field, and among the leading personages were Sir Charles Slingsby, who, as already stated, was the master of the hounds; Viscount Downe, of Danbylodge; Lord Lascelles, of Harewood; Sir George Wombwell, of Newburgh-park; Captain Vyner, of Newby Hall; Mr. Clare Vyner, of Newby Hall; Mr. E. Lloyd, of Lingcroft, near York; Mr. E. Robinson, of York; Major Mussinden, Captain Molyneux, the Hon. Henry Molyneux, Captain Key, of Fulford; Mr. White, and several of the officers of the 15th Hussars, stationed at York; Mr. Wood, of Bellwood; Mr. William Ingleby, of Ripley Castle; and Mr. Darnborough, of Ripon. William Orvys, the first whip, was in attendance, and, the weather being fine, anticipations prevailed of good sport. No fox was found until the hounds reached Monkton Whin, but a good run of about an hour's duration was had towards Copgrove and Newby Hall, and near the latter the fox and the pack crossed the river Ure. Several of the gentlemen who were in pursuit attempted to cross the river at a ford some distance up the stream, but Sir Charles Slingsby and a majority of those who were close up made for the ferry, which was almost directly opposite Newby Hall, and signalled for the boat to be sent across. Swollen by the late rains, and to a great extent diverted from its natural channel, the river, at this point some fifty or sixty yards broad, swept along with a strong, deep current. With little or no hesitation the master of the hounds sprang into the boat, to be piloted across by the Newby-hall gardener and his son; and this example was so largely followed that in a very short time some twelve or fourteen gentlemen, with their horses, crowded into a vessel intended to accommodate only half that number. Those who entered the boat were Sir Charles Slingsby, Orvys (the whip), Sir George Wombwell, Captain Vyner, Mr. Clare Vyner, Mr. Lloyd, Mr. Robinson, Major Mussinden, Captain Molyneux, the Hon. Henry Molyneux, Captain Key, Mr. White, and some more military officers from York Barracks. Viscount Downe, Lord Lascelles, and several others, who were either unable to find room in the boat, or had their doubts as to its safety, remained on the banks awaiting its return. No warning voice cautioned them when they started on what proved to some of them a fatal journey ; indeed, their apparent luck in having gained the start of the others

, was looked on with many envious eyes. Any such feeling was, however, of short duration. Seizing the chain by which the flatbottomed boat was propelled, Captain Vyner and his brother pushed it off from the river side, and sent the vessel right into the stream. Before one-third of the distance had been traversed Sir Charles Slingsby's horse became restive, and kicked the animal belonging to Sir George Wombwell. The latter, a high-mettled chestnut, returned the kick, and something very like a panic arose among the horses. The boat was swayed first to one side and then to the other; and finally it was fairly turned bottom upwards. The scene which then ensued was of a very painful character. For a moment the slimy bottom of the boat, rocked to and fro by the struggling of the men and horses, was all that could be seen by the spectators on the bank; then here and there in different parts of the stream heads began to appear, only to sink again amid agonized cries, and hands and arms were flung up in despair.

Horses were seen to battle with the current, striking out regardless of the injuries they inflicted on their masters, who were also swept by the current out of the reach of those anxious to afford relief. In some cases, however, the prompt measures taken by the spectators were effectual. Those who could swim cast off their coats and plunged to save their friends, while others, not so happily gifted, took less vigorous, though not less useful steps. Lines, formed of whips, were tied together, and thrown within reach of the drowning men, and several beams of wood, which fortunately lay scattered about, were quickly launched on the stream. Captain Vyner was one of the first to get his head out of water, and to save himself from the current by clinging to the upturned vessel. After a vigorous struggle he reached the top of the boat, and was able to assist first Sir George Wombwell and afterwards one of the York officers to the same position. Mr. White got on shore by means of the chain stretched across the ferry, while others were rescued by the means adopted for their safety from the banks. In a very few minutes, however, it was found that six men and eleven horses had been drowned. Two horses were rescued. An account in a local journal said several gentlemen and horses were under the boat when it floated bottom upwards. Among these were Sir George Wombwell and an officer from York, who was very badly kicked by the horses. Sir Charles Slingsby was seen by the spectators on the bank to strike out for the opposite shore, but when nearing it he threw up his hands, and the last seen of him was his body Hoating down the river with his head and legs under water. None of the others drowned were seen at all. Every effort was made by those upon the bank to rescue the sufferers. Mr. William Ingleby threw off his coat and plunged into the river, and made a desperate effort to reach Sir Charles Slingsby, but in this he unhappily failed, and with great difficulty and in a state of complete exhaustion reached the shore. Captain Vyner and Captain Preston plunged into the river in the hope of rendering assistance. Mr. Bartram, of Harrowgate, rendered very active aid, and succeeded in assisting to the shore one of those who had been thrown into the river, and had clung to the chain of the ferry. The body of Sir Charles Slingsby was discovered 300 yards below the scene of the accident by Mr. Denison, of Ripon, and Mr. Wood, of the same city, about half-past four o'clock. The bodies of Captain Lloyd and Mr. Robinson were afterwards taken out of the river, and all were conveyed to Newbyhall, to await a coroner's inquest. The next day two more of the bodies were recovered—those of William Orvys and Christopher Warriner, the eldest of that name. That of Christopher Warriner's son was recovered a few days later. Sir Charles Slingsby was

« PreviousContinue »