Named after a Prussian officer who aided America during the Revolution, Fort Steuben was constructed in 1786 to protect government surveyors of the Old Northwest Territory. In 1797, Steubenville, one of the earliest settlements in Ohio, was founded and named after the fort. Located on the Ohio River, the town became a hub of transportation, bringing in settlers and industry. By the 20th century, Steubenville had become a center for steel production and coal mining. Important figures President Abraham Lincolns Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, sports commentator Jimmy the Greek, and entertainer Dean Martin all are natives of Ohios eastern gateway, Steubenville.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
1947 SESQUICENTENNIAL 3rd and Market 4th and Market Andrew Carnegie ARCH AT 4TH Bezaleel brick bridge opened building was constructed building was demolished building was opened CENTENNIAL ARCH church building City of Murals congregation corner of 4th Court House Dean Martin downtown Steubenville Edwin Fort Steuben Half Moon HARDING MIDDLE SCHOOL High School highway HISTORICAL MARKER horsedrawn wagon Imperial Hotel JEFFERSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE LAKE AT STANTON Library of Steubenville Lincoln located Market Street Mural by artist North 4th Street North Streets Northwest Territory ODOT Ohio Power Company Ohio River original Patton’s Band Pennsylvania Railroad Photograph by Ron Pleasant Heights PLSJOC postcard shows Presbyterian Church Public Library RAILROAD BRIDGE reconstructed renovated replaced Ron Smith Route S.S. Kresge Slack Street South 4th STANTON PARK STANTON STATUE Steuben Steubenville and Jefferson Steubenville Female Seminary Steubenville’s street scene streetcar line streetcar tracks trolley trolley park Union Cemetery veterans Visitor’s Center Washington Street West Virginia