Page images

ing to the height of the dais. Around these large vases were grouped smaller ones, rising in gradations of beauty with the steps of the platform. The dais was most properly the crowning beauty of the structure, and in a brief description it is impossible to do it justice. Rectangular in form, with a side elevation of two feet, it was without canopy, and beautifully ornamented. The sides were covered with black broad cloth, over which drooped from the top festoons of white merino and tassels of white silk. The end facing the west entrance bore inscribed on a black panel with white border, in silver letters, the word "Lincoln." From the festooning to the top, rose in graceful swell a bed of white roses, immortelles, and orange blossoms, the pure white relieved only by the deep fresh green of the leaves and sprigs accompanying.

The officers, pall-bearers, and committees, after looking upon the remains, retired; and, without delay, the people commenced moving in to look upon the mortal remains of Abraham Lincoln.

First came the various military organizations of the procession-the men formed in four ranks, entering at the west front, moving without noise upon a carpeted way to the catafalque, passing by twos on each side of the coffin, the face and upper part of the body being brought in full view of each individual, and then those on the right passing out at the south, and those on the left turning to the north. Then followed in order the various delegations of the processions, succeeded by the people en masse. From half-past nine till four, over fifty thousand viewed the remains.

A platform had been erected immediately in front of the entrance to the Capitol. After appropriate music by military bands, and the singing of a hymn by a choir, under the direction of J. A. Scarritt, a prayer, impressive in thought and earnest in manner and word, was offered by the pastor of the Congregational Church, Rev. Mr. Goodwin. A hymn was then sung, and the Hon. Job E. Stevenson, of Chillicothe, delivered. an impressive address.

At six o'clock in the evening, the doors of the Capitol were closed, the bugle sounded the assembly, the soldiers took arms, and the great procession began reforming for the final escort to the depot.

As the body was being brought out to the funeral-car at the west gateway of the Capitol grounds, a national salute was fired. Soon after, the procession moved, and the remains of the President were removed to the funeral-car at the depot of the Great Central Railway.

At Pleasant Valley, great bonfires lit up the country for miles. A large concourse of citizens were assembled around the depot. Two American flags, draped in mourning, were held in hand by two ladies.

At Unionville, O. (9 P. M.), there were about two hundred persons present, most of them sitting in wagons-the people having come in from the country.

At Milford, O. (9.19 P. M.), around bonfires were assembled four hundred or five hundred people, who waved flags and handkerchiefs slowly.

At Woodstock, O. (9.46 P. M.), five hundred people were present, and ladies were permitted to enter the President's car and strew flowers on the coffin. The Woodstock Cornet Band, U. Cushman, leader, played a dirge and hymn. The village bells slowly rang; men stood silent with uncovered heads. The scene was as affecting as it was beautiful.

At Urbana, O. (10.40 P. M.), three thousand people present. There was a large cross on a platform, entwined with circling wreaths of evergreens, which was worked under direction of Mrs. Miles G. Williams, President Ladies' Soldiers' Aid Society. From the top of the cross, and shorter arms, were hung illuminated colored transparencies. On the opposite side of the track was an elevated platform, on which were forty gentlemen and ladies, who sang with pathetic sweetness, the hymn entitled, "Go to Thy Rest." Large bonfires made night as light as day. Minute-guns were fired. Young ladies entered the car and strewed flowers on the martyr's bier.

At Paris, O. (11.24 P. M.), brilliant illuminations, by which might be seen a number of drooped flags. A large assembly stood in silence.

At Westville station crowds were gathered to pay respect to the dead.

At Conover, O. (11.30 P. M.), a long line of people two deep were standing in file; on the right little boys and girls, then young men and women, and on the left elderly people. In the

centre, supporting a large American flag, were three young ladies, Miss Eliza Throckmorton, Miss Nora Brecount, and Miss Barnes, who chanted a patriotic religious song with a slow and mournful air.

At Piqua, O., April 30 (12.20 A. M.), not less than ten thousand people were assembled. The Troy band and the Piqua band played appropriate music, after which a delegation from the Methodist churches, under Rev. Granville (Colonel) Moody, sang a hymn.

At Gettysburg, O. (1.10 A. M.), large numbers of people were congregated together around huge bonfires. Drooping flags and other evidences of mourning were seen.

There were like scenes at Richmond Junction and Covington, just passed.

[ocr errors]

At Greenville, O. (1.36 A. M.), thirty-six young ladies dressed in white, slowly waving the star-spangled banner, greeted the cortege here. Lafayette's Requium was sung with thrilling effect, by a number of ladies and gentlemen. About five hundred people were congregated on the platform. Company C, 28th Ohio Infantry, was drawn up in line, with fire arms reversed. The depot was tastefully decorated. On either side of the depot were two bonfires, fifteen feet high, which shed most brilliant light all around the train and depot.

At New Paris, O. (2.41 A. M.), great bonfires lit up the skies. A crowd was gathered about with uncovered heads. A beau tiful arch of evergreens was formed above the track, under which the train passed. The arch was twenty feet high and thirty feet in circumference.

At Wiley's, New Madison, and Weaver's stations, mourners were congregated to pay respect to the passing dead.

Gov. Morton and suite met the train at Richmond, which was reached at 2 A. M. All the bells of this city rang out their solemn tones to awaken the citizens, and warn them to repair to the depot. Red, white, and blue lamps were suspended from the depot, and the arch spanning the track was lighted with the national colors.

At Cambridge (3.50 A. M.), the bells were tolling and guns firing; thousands of people at the depot. The train passed under an arch, trimmed with evergreens and surmounted by a female figure representing the Goddess of Liberty.

At Dublin, Ind. (April 30), an arch 30 feet high dotted with small Union flags. This place gave Abraham Lincoln its entire vote at the last Presidential election, and nearly 20,000 persons were assembled.

At Louisville, Ind. (April 30), the depot was handsomely trimmed. The people were assembled in large numbers.

At Indianapolis (6 A. M.), all the avenues leading to the depot were closely packed with people. At seven o'clock the funeral train arrived. The military had been drawn up extending from Illinois and Washington streets to the State House door. The corpse was taken charge of by the local guard of soldiers under Col. Symonson, through the open ranks of the soldiers standing at present-arms. The procession took up the line of march to the State House in the falling rain, amid the sound of bells and firing of cannon.

The hearse conveying the remains was 14 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 23 feet high, covered with black velvet. The roof of the car bore 12 white plumes trimmed with black, and on the loops was a beautiful eagle of silver gilt. The panels

were studded with large silver stars. The car was drawn by eight white horses. Six of these horses were attached to the carriage in which, four years before, Abraham Lincoln rode through Indianapolis, when on his way to Washington to be inaugurated. In all the intersecting streets were triple arches adorned with evergreens and national flags, arranged in the most tasteful and beautiful manner.

During the performance of a funeral dirge, the tolling of bells and booming of cannon, the coffin was carried to the interior of the State House, and soon after exposed to public view. The Sabbath School children were first admitted, and then ladies and citizens severally passed through the hall from north to south. It was designed to have a grand military and civic procession, with an address by Governor Morton and other exercises, but rain prevented the arrangement. The remains were escorted to the cars at midnight.


At Chicago, May 1, thousands upon thousands of people were congregated at Park Place and its vicinity. From the housetops, piazzas, windows, steps, and doorways, very many specta

tors were watching with intense interest the preliminaries of the procession and the surrounding scene. Minute-guns and the tolling and chiming of bells announced the arrival of the President's remains. The great multitude stood in profound silence and reverence, and uncovered their heads as the coffin was borne to a tastefully constructed funeral car, between the open ranks of the several officers and civil escort from Washington. It was carried under the grand arch which extends across Park Place. The arch was of triple Gothic form, in length spanning a distance of fifty-one feet, and having a depth of sixteen feet. The height from the ground to the center of the middle or main arch was thirty feet, with a width of twenty-four feet, the side arches being each eight feet wide and twenty feet in height. The total height of the centre arch and pinnacles was about forty feet. Each of the arches, all presenting their front elevations towards Michigan Avenue and the lake, was supported by a cluster of hexagonal columns resting on a single base, forming four sets of columns on each front. The interstices between these columns were fitted up as Gothic windows, and beautifully draped as such in black and white, adding a solemn effect to the general appearance. At the centre of each arch on the top of the columns of both fronts were large and imposing American shields, from which draped our national ensign, hanging in graceful festoons. From these flags the mourning drapery entwined about the different portions of the arches, up to the pinnacle in the centre. The lower portion of the arches was also heavily draped in black and white, beautifully arranged. Fifty flags in all formed the drapery and surmounted the arches. On each pediment of the main and centre arches was placed a bust of the lamented dead, and upon each main front, resting upon the pinnacle above the busts, was seen a magnificent eagle. Underneath the eagle, and above the busts, the drapery took the form of the sun's rays, as if they still hung upon the corpse.

The procession escorting the honored remains, was preceded by a band of music, followed by Major-Generals Hooker and Alfred Sully, and Brig.-Generals Buford and Swett, together with their respective staffs, music, the 8th and 15th Regiments of the veteran Reserve Corps, and the 6th Regiment of United States volunteers. Then came the funeral-car with

« PreviousContinue »