Page images

scene with the glare of torch, the solemn music, the booming of cannon, was deeply impressive.

At Westfield, a party of ladies, led by one whose husband (Colonel Drake) fell at Cold Harbor, came to place a cross of flowers on the coffin.

At the other stations, crowds had gathered to show their respect.

On reaching the State line, Gen. Dix and his staff withdrew, and the Mayor of Erie joined the cortège.

By 3.48 on the 28th the train entered Ohio, and hurried on through Kingsville, Ashtabula, Saybrook, Geneva, Unionville, Madison, Perry, Paineville, Mentor and Willoughby. The depots at all points were draped, and surrounded by respectful crowds. As the train passed the bells tolled and minute-guns were fired.

Governor Brough and his staff joined the funeral party at Wickliffe.

The train reached Cleveland at seven o'clock. As the train passed the lake side of the city, thousands of persons gathered on the sloping green hillsides, all having a good view of the train. High up an arch bore the inscription, "Abraham Lincoln." It was draped in mourning, and the support's covered with alternate stripes of black and white. Immediately under the arch was a lady dressed in horizontal bars of the national colors, to represent the genius of Liberty. She held in her hand a flag, and this, together with her cap, was banded with mourning. All places of business were closed. Colors were displayed at half-mast. A national salute of thirty-six guns was fired, and half-hour guns were fired till sunset.

At Euclid Street station the coffin was placed in a hearse, the roofing of which was covered with the national flag, with black plumes, and otherwise tastefully and appropriately adorned. The military escort embraced Major-General Hooker and staff, and Governor Brough, of Ohio, and staff; and the guard of honor was followed in procession by the United States civil officers, veteran soldiers, members of the city council and city officers of Cleveland and other cities, members of the bar, the Board of Trade, Knights Templar, the orders of Masons and Oddfellows, temperance societies, the German Benevolent Society, Fenian Brotherhood, St. Vincent Society,

the Equal Rights League, &c., and all the benevolent and other associations and citizens, on foot.

The procession embraced all conditions of the people, and presented a decidedly fine appearance as it moved through the streets of this truly beautiful city from Euclid street to Erie, down Erie to Superior, and thence to the park.

The sidewalks were densely crowded with mournful looking spectators, while thousands of persons beheld the cortège from the steps and windows of the beautiful residences which line the entire route. Emblems of mourning were everywhere prominent, together with expressive mottoes. In the park was erected a building especially for the reception of the remains, to which they were now conveyed. The building was twentyfour by thirty-six feet in dimensions, and fourteen feet high from the ground to the plate. The roof was of pagoda style, and the rafters were covered with white cloth over the centre of the main roof; and directly over the catafalque a second roof was raised about four feet, and covered in like manner. The catafalque consisted of a raised dais, four by twelve feet, on the ground. The coffin rested on this dais about two feet above the floor. On the four corners columns supported a canopy. The columns were draped and wreathed with evergreens and white flowers, in the most beautiful manner. Black cloth as curtains, and fringed with silver, was caught and looped back to these columns. From the centre of the canopy the floor and sides of the dais were covered with black cloth, dropping from the four corners, bordered with silver fringe, and the borders of the cornice, all brilliantly ornamented with white rosettes and stars of silver. The inside of the canopy was lined with black cloth, gathered in folds, and white and black crape served as plumage to the posts. At the corners of the catafalque, in the centre, was a large star of black velvet, with thirty-six stars, one for each State in the Union. The floor of the dais was covered with flowers, and a figure of the Goddess of Liberty was placed at the head of the coffin. The ceiling of the building was gracefully hung with beautiful festoons of evergreen and flowers. The four posts which sustain on either side the pagoda roof were hung with large rosettes of mingled evergreen and magnolias of two varieties. Appropriate drapery hung from the cornice of the building, and swung from pillar

to pillar of the fairy structure. Glass lamps were attached to the pillars of the catafalque and to other points of the building, so that the remains could be easily seen at night and to good advantage.

The religious services, after the remains had been placed upon the dais, were performed by the Right Rev. Bishop McIlvaine, who, in the course of his prayer, asked the blessing of heaven on the immediate family of the deceased, and a sanctification of the event which had called the nation to mourn to the good of him who had succeeded to the chief magistracy. He then read a part of the funeral service of the Episcopal Church, slightly altering the text to suit the occasion. These services moved many of the listeners to tears.

The remains were then exposed to public view. The arrangements were so perfect that every one who desired to see them had no difficulty in being gratified.

The number who witnessed the remains of the President during the day was one hundred and eighty a minute. Two rows of spectators were constantly passing, one on each side of the coffin. The lid was freshly covered with flowers, in the form of harps, crosses, and bouquets, gathered at the hot-houses of Cleveland, and laid upon the coffin by ladies representing the Soldiers' Relief Association.

After leaving Cleveland, Columbia, Grafton, and Wilmington, Greenwich and Crestline showed the usual signs of mourning, and, even at that early hour, groups of citizens. At Cardington, the gathering near the handsomely draped depot was unusually large.


The funeral train reached the capital of Ohio on the 29th of April, at half-past seven, and stopped so that the funeral car lay across High-street. Again the veterans removed the body to a hearse prepared for its reception, and the procession formed, Major John W. Skiles, Grand Marshal.

The 88th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, forming the escort, marched first with arms reversed.

The officiating clergyman and orator then proceeded to the hearse, a fine structure, seventeen feet long, eight and a half feet wide, and seventeen and a half feet from the ground to the apex of the canopy. The main platform was four feet from

the ground, on which rested a dais for the reception of the coffin, twelve feet long by five feet wide, raised two and a half feet above the platform. The canopy resembled in shape a Chinese pagoda. The interior of the roof was lined with silk flags, and the outside covered with black broadcloth, as were the dais, the main platform, and the entire hearse. Black cloth, festooned, depended from the platform, within a few inches of the ground, fringed with silver lace, and ornamented with heavy tassels of black silk.

Surrounding the cornice of the canopy were thirty-six silver stars, and on the apex and the four corners were five heavy black plumes. The canopy was appropriately curtained with black cloth, lined with white merino. On each side of the dais was the word "Lincoln " in silver letters.

The hearse was drawn by six white horses, covered with black cloth, which was edged with silver fringe. The heads of the horses were surmounted with large black plumes.

Following the hearse came the escort from Washington, in open carriages, three abreast. Next came Major-General Hooker and staff, mounted; Brevet Brigadier-General W. P. Richardson and staff, mounted; Provost Marshal General Wilcox and staff, mounted; and Brigadier-General Wager Swayne and staff, in open carriages.

Officers of the army on duty, and temporarily at that post, on foot, commanded by Major Van Voosh, 18th U. S. Infantry, and soldiers at the post not on duty with escort, commanded by Captain L. T. Nichols, followed the carriage of General Swayne. The Committee of Arrangements, the Reverend Clergy, the Heads of Departments, the Mayors of Cincinnati and Columbus, the Presidents of City Councils of said cities, the City Councils of Cincinnati and Columbus, the Judges and officers of the United States Court, the Supreme Court of Ohio, and the Franklin County Courts, the Masonic order, and orders of Odd Fellows and Druids, the Fenian Brotherhood, the Mechanics, St. Martin's, St. John's, and Butcher's Associations, the Fire Department, the Colored Masonic Order, and Colored Benevolent Association, followed in regular order.

At about nine o'clock the head of the procession arrived at the west entrance of Capitol Square. The 88th O. V. I. acting as special escort, passed in immediately, forming lines in two

ranks on each side of the passway from the gate to the steps of the Capitol. As the coffin passed toward the archway, the bands struck up a dirge, the high officials in attendance assumed their places as escort, and thousands of bowed heads said, as plainly as the letters arching the entrance, "Ohio Mourns."

When the coffin was placed on its flowery bed, the Rev. Mr. Felton offered an appropriate prayer. Amid a silence as of death, the coffin was then opened, and Mrs. Hoffner, the only lady present, stepped softly forward and placed at the foot of the coffin an anchor composed of delicate white flowers and evergreen boughs, a wreath of the same upon the breast of the dead, and a cross at the head.

The entrance ways of the Rotunda and the corresponding panels were uniformly draped with black cloth, falling in heavy folds from the arches to the floor. In the panels the drapings were gathered to the sides equidistant from arch to floor, and then allowed to fall in full volume and closing at the bottom as at the top. In three of these central spaces thus formed were grouped the war-worn battle-flags of veteran Ohio regiments. In the other panel, the one between the north and east entrances, tastefully mounted and appropriately draped was Mr. Powell's painting, "Perry's Victory," the grouping of characters and the sublimity of the scene represented adding much to the general and impressive beauty of the Rotunda. Above the panels entirely round the dome were three rows of festoons, with black and white pendants, the whole joining appropriately the general draping below.

On a platform with a base of twenty-one and a half feet by twenty-eight feet, rising by five steps until it presented a top surface perhaps one half as large, was placed the dais for the reception of the coffin. This platform, tastefully carpeted, the rise of each step dressed in black, was ornamented with emblematical flowers and plants in vases so arranged as to present, with their impression of beauty, the sorrow for the dead. At the corners facing the west entrance, were large vases containing beautiful specimens of amaranth, and midway between them a grand central vase glowing with the richness and beauty of the choicest flowers of the season.

A similar disposition of vases faced the east entrance, from the corner ones the flowers of the emblematical justitia each

« PreviousContinue »