Page images

lull their minds from too-deeply grieving at his loss, no trace remains of him. They do not know that he is gone to “that bourne from whence no traveller returns."

A man was found dead in a house in Front, near Walnut-street. The corpse was first discovered, by an offensive smell. From the time that elapsed after the family left the house, it is thought, it laid there, at least, a month. It was in so high a state of putrefraction, that it was removed by pieces to the coffin in which it was deposited.

A man was found dead in a sail-loft, who was seen, apparently hearty, only three days previous.

A French gentleman' was found dead in a house in Vine, near Front-street. The corpse was discovered only by a putrid effluvia. No person lived in the house with him.

A woman was found dead in Water-street. The corpse laid one day before it was discovered. Her young child was alive upon the same bed with her.

The corpse of a woman was found on the commons, also of two men at No. 171, North Secondstreet.

The corpse of a man was found in Water-street. It was carefully laid out, and wrapped in a sheet, ready for the coffin.

September 23.-A person was found dead in Eighth, between Race and Vine-streets. On the 25th, a child was found dead on the commons, near Potter's-field. On the 27th, the body of a man was discovered on the wharf below Mr. Wharton's counting-house.

October 16, -A dead woman was found in a house at the corner of Eighth and Shippen-streets.


About the 16th of August, a person passing through Union, between Second and Third-streets, perceived a noxious effluvia, of the nature of that which is emitted by coffee, in a state of putrefaction. He was next day seized with a severe illness, and died in a few days.

About the 24th of August, a person went home in a fright, from having seen a yellow-looking man. He took sick, and died in eight days.

The case of Jane Doron, at the City-Hospital, is somewhat remarkable : She was, to all appearance, dead. A coffin was brought, and other preparations for her interment pursued. But some doubt remained in the mind of Dr. May, the physician. He returned-and, upon examining her body, he felt a warmth near the heart, yet without any palpitation. Urged by this, he then resolved to try his utmost efforts. He began to rub her arm, in order to bring on a pulse by friction. The steward, who was also present, laid hold of the other arm, and followed the example. In two hours, she shewed symptoms of life, first, by a quivering at the region of the heart, and a few hours afterwards, by an hysteric fit, which went off with a copious effusion of tears. She recovered.

Mr. J. Conchy's son died of the calamity. The same day his daughter went to the river to bring water : She fell in, and was drowned.

A person entered the house of Mr. M'P He mentioned that he had just put a body in a coffin. This alarmed Mrs. M'P She immediately took sick. Distress, unusually accumulated, soon followed. Mrs. M.P and a child were attacked, Mrs. MʻP-mi's mother and brother went to assist them. They were likewise seized ; and all died but Mr. and Mrs. M'P: nor did


distress end here :-Whilst they were in a state of convalescence, they were recommended to more to a more airy, and less-infected situation. On their removal, they hired a white nurse ; having previously experienced the negligence of several black ones. But, she proved to be more abandoned. She let in some persons during the night. Their noise alarmed Mr. M·P- who was but just able to'walk. He went to inquire what was going on; but, he found them gone, and fire on the floor in several places. They were robbed of cash, plate, &c.-Even the body-clothes of the two patients, who were in bed, were carried off.

In many families the mortality was general. Three bodies have been taken out of one house at one time. Whole families were, in several instances swept off. Mr. Wiles's wife died on the 26th of September. By the time the hearse came for the corpse, his son was dead ; his journeyman died the same day; next day Mr. Wiles died, and his brother-in-law next day after.

Mr. Scott, a stout robust man, in delirium, ran into the street in his shirt and night-cap; and walked up several squares, before he was overtaken. A patient made his escape from the Hospital with nothing on but his shirt, and went to his lodgings, in Water-street, (a distance of two miles); when he arrived, he was covered with blood : It was caused by his removing the bandages from the orifice, where he was bled at the Hospital.

The screams of a woman, who died at No. 32, Carter's-alley, were heard to the distance of Strawberry-alley, on the one side, and Dock-streer on the other. The wall of the room was sprinkled with blood, that issued from her mouth, upwards of two feet from where her head lay.

Somc Some were attacked in the street, others on the commons, and there generally laid till a coach came to carry them to the hospital.-Drunkards lying in the street, have also been sent to the hospital, supposed to have the fever.

Many scenes occurred to the drivers of the sick coaches, which were calculated to soften hearts the most hardened! Fathers and mothers delivered to them their sick children, children their parents, wives their husbands, husbands their wives, &c. &c. but most frequently, masters their servants, and landlords their lodgers.

A gentleman who remained in the city during the calamity, principally from an intention af assisting his suffering fellow-creatures, in taking his rounds one morning, met with a man lying in a gutter; who, in his agony, had much bruised himself, and torn his cloaths. A number of people at a distance were viewing him; but none ventured to his assistance. His own son had deserted him! Shocking to humanity! Had it not been for the interference of the above gentleman, he must have died, to the reproach of human nature, like a beast! He was removed to the hospital, where the last moments of this afflicted man were somewhat assuaged by the lenient hand of attention. He lived but a few hours after he was removed from the gutter.

A gentleman of New-Jersey, went to Germantown. When arrived, he felt overcome by heat and fatigue; but, notwithstanding, he transacted his business; and immediately set off to return home. On his way in the road, which leads from Frankford to German-town, perceiving a pleasant place under the shade of a tree, he laid down, with an intention of resting himself. Several persons, who passed by, expressed their pity for his situation,

supposing supposing him ill. with the fever, but took good care to keep on the other side of the road. At length a lady with her daughter, who happened to be riding by, perceived him, and supposing him ill of the fever, ordered her servant to drive up to the fence. The gentleman, surprised, raised himself up, and the lady in a sympathizing tone of voice, desired to know if he was unwell. He informed her he was riot. But she supposing he was unwilling to confess it, pressed him, that if he had the fever, and no friends near, she would take him to her house, which was close by, and nurse him herself. The gentleman impressed with gratitude, arose, thanked her, and declared that he was only fatigued, and had not been in Philadelphia.

A person from Philadelphia, travelling in West New-Jersey, stopped at the house of Mr. Craig, a miller, where he was attacked with the fever: he died in a few days. During his illness, he was nursed by Mrs. Craig both day and night, who would not let any other go nigh him. She remained with him till he died, and even assisted to lay him in a coffin.

A woman of Wilmington, after losing one of her family with the fever that raged there, fled with her five children to the house of her father, a few miles from Chester.-He possesses a large house, farm, &c. On their approach, her father's housekeeper came to the gate, and forbid them to enter, at the same time fastened it. The fugitives took shelter in a school-house, nearly opposite, and received daily support, for near three weeks, from the neighbours generally, the father's family excepted.

During the height of the calamity, it was difficult to procure nurses.

The hire was from one to five dollars per day! Richard Allen and William


« PreviousContinue »