Page images
[blocks in formation]

lunette for heavy guns, in the open field, in front of Pardee's left. This position being exposed to fire from all the batteries in my front, the work upon it had to be done quietly and at night.

December 18.-The working detail on Fort No. 2 continued until nine A.M., at which time the heavy fog lifted. That on Fort No. 1 worked all day inside the parapets. All the roads within my lines and to the rear were corduroyed to-day. The usual artillery firing continued by the enemy during the day, and also throughout the night; their principal aim being to prevent our men from working on the forts, in which they did not succeed. To-night, a working detail from my First brigade began the construction of Fort No. 3, in the open field, to the right and in advance of No. 2. Details from the Third brigade continued working on the latter, while Fort No. 1 was being finished by details from the Second brigade.

December 19.-A conference of the division and brigade commanders with the General commanding the corps was held at ten A.M. to-day, with view to the adoption of a plan for storming the enemy's works, as soon as the heavy guns should be in readiness to open fire.

Fort No. 1 was finished this evening. The details from First and Third brigades continued work on the other forts during the night, under a heavy artillery fire from the enemy. Several casualties occurred, among them Major Wright, a most valuable officer, commanding the Twentyninth Ohio volunteers, who was severely wounded by a shell. Sloan's battery of three-inch rifled guns had already taken position in a work thrown up to the right of Fort No. 3, and in the open field.

December 16.-No change in position to-day. The usual sharp-shooting from our side and artillery firing from the enemy was kept up. It having been decided to place some heavy guns in position on my line, a working party of one hundred men from my Second brigade was employed throughout the night constructing a strong lunette near the left of Barnum's line. The work was under the superintendence of Captain Schilling, Topographical Engineer on my staff. I had now two regiments of Jones's brigade, the Seventy-third Pennsylvania and One Hundred and Thirty-fourth New-York volunteers, both under command of LieutenantColonel Jackson, encamped on Hutchinson's Island, and so intrenched as to hold the upper part of it against any force the enemy might bring. At high-tide, daily, the enemy's gunboats moved up in Back River, and shelled these regiments. The enemy's land batteries also turned their fire in that direction frequently. Very few casualties occurred.

December 17.-The work on Fort No. 1 (that in the left of Barnum's line) progressed so far last night that my details were working inside of it to-day, being protected by the heavy parapet. This work was but two hundred and fifty yards distant from the advanced fort on the enemy's right, and could be plainly seen by them. They expended both artillery and musketry fire on it all day, but without effect. At eleven A.M., a manding corps. Leaving one of my staff to large mail arrived for us, and caused universal watch the sounds in that direction, I notified my rejoicing, being our first during nearly six weeks. officer of the day and brigade commanders to To-night, working details from my First brigade keep a vigilant watch upon the enemy, as they commenced constructing Fort No. 2, to be a large were probably evacuating. The details on Forts

December 20.-The usual artillery firing and sharp-shooting to-day. By this evening we had constructed, and in readiness for use in the contemplated assault, two hundred large straw fascines, to fill up ditches in front of the enemy's works; also a large number of fascines made of bamboo-cane. The latter were to be used for bridging the canal by laying them across baulks, which were furnished from the pontoon-train for that purpose. The work on Forts 2 and 3 was well advanced to-day, and would probably be completed to-night. Three siege-guns (thirtypounder Parrotts) were brought down this evening, and mounted in Fort No. 1. I ascertained this morning that the enemy had completed a pontoon-bridge from Savannah across to the South-Carolina shore, and notified the General commanding corps of the discovery. This bridge was about two and a half miles from my left. The usual artillery firing was kept up by the enemy during the day and night. During the night I heard the movement of troops and wagons across the pontoon-bridge before mentioned, and sent a report of the fact to the General com

2 and 3 continued working through the night, the enemy shelling them heavily.

The following table will exhibit, as near as possible, the amount of public property taken possession of by my command on the morning of the twenty-first December.

order, placed in command of the city. Until nearly ten A.M., continued firing was heard in the December 21.-After three o'clock this morn- direction of Beaulieu; and supposing that a poring the firing ceased, and my pickets advancing tion of the enemy might still be south of us, I to the enemy's line, found them hastily retreating. kept one brigade under arms during the foreHaving possession of their line of works, with noon. all their cannon in front of my own and the other Three rebel flags were captured by my comdivision of the corps, I immediately sent a staff-mand, which will be duly forwarded. officer to notify the General commanding, and at the same time pushed forward rapidly in the direction of Savannah, hoping to overtake and capture a part of the enemy's force. My skirmishers deployed and swept over all the ground between the evacuated works and the Ogeechee Canal, from the river to the Augusta road, while my main body of troops marched rapidly by the flank through McAlpin's plantation to the Augusta road and on into the city. Just outside of the city limits, near the junction of the Louisville and Augusta roads, I met the Mayor of Savannah and a delegation from the Board of Aldermen, bearing a flag of truce. From them I received, in the name of my Commanding General, the surrender of the city. This was at half-past four A.M., and I sent immediately another staffofficer to announce the surrender to the General commanding the corps.

He had considerable difficulty in passing the line of another division of this corps, on the Augusta road, but finally convinced them that he belonged to the Twentieth corps and not to the enemy. In the mean time, my entire division entered the city of Savannah at early dawn, and before the sun first gilded the morning clouds our national colors, side by side with those of my own division, were unfurled from the dome of the Exchange and over the United States Custom-House. Barnum's brigade, which led in entering the city, was at once ordered to patrol it, reduce it to order and quiet, and prevent any pillaging or lawlessness on the part either of soldiers or citizens. My orders on the subject were very strict, and within a few hours this city-in which I had found a lawless mob of low whites and negroes, pillaging and setting fire to property was reduced to order. Many millions of dollars' worth of cotton, ordnance, and commissary stores, etc., which would otherwise have been destroyed, were saved to the United States Government, and the citizens once more enjoyed security under the protection of that flag which again waved over them, exactly four years since the passage by the State of South-Carolina of the secession act. Two regiments from Pardee's brigade, the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania and Twenty-ninth Ohio veteran volunteers, were sent down to Fort Jackson, and early in the morning had possession of it and all the intermediate and surrounding works. The iron-plated ram Savannah, which lay in the river below the city, threw a few shells at these two regiments as they flung the Stars and Stripes to the breeze from the walls of Fort Jackson. All the other gunboats of the enemy had been fired by them, and burned to the water's edge. On the arrival of the MajorGeneral commanding the left wing, I was, by his


Schooner, unfinished,

Bales Cotton,.
Tierces Rice,.
Bushels Corn,
Feet Lumber,.

Heavy pieces Artillery,

Light Artillery, (pieces,).

[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

R'ds fixed Ammunition, (artillery,)
Shot and Shell, ....
other Ordnance & Ordnance Stores,
Powder, (pounds,)..
Artillery Harness, (boxes,)..

Copper, (boxes,)..

Plate Tin, (boxes,)..

Sabre Knots,.

Vent Covers,.
Tompions, (artillery,).
Cartridge-Boxes, (infantry,).
Bayonet Scabbards,


Port Fires,.


Glass, (boxes,).
Machine Oil, (keg,).
Lamp Oil, (can,)
Parrot Oil, (bbl.,).
Tar, (can,)
Rope (coils.).
Soft Solder, (lbs.).
Cotton Twine, (lbs.,).

Equipments, (artillery,).

White twilled Flannel, (bale,)..
Gun Stocks, in rough,.
Nails, (kegs,)..
Flints, (box,).
Sabres, (artillery,).

Zinc, (case,)....

Roller Buckles, (gross,).
White Cartridge-Paper, (gross,)...
Brown Cartridge-Paper, (reams,)

Friction Tubes,....

Priming Tubes,.
Appendages Small-Arms,
Slow-Match, (feet,)..


In enemy's front


In City of Savan


In Forts below the
City, including
Fort Jackson.



14,456 5,619




[blocks in formation]





[blocks in formation]
[blocks in formation]



C. O.

[blocks in formation]



16 342


No. & nam es unknown,



I submit the following estimate of property and supplies appropriated or destroyed by my command during the march from Atlanta to Savannah :

During the March.

Horses taken for use, 84; mules taken for use, 267; corn taken for use, pounds, 299,421; corn fodder taken for use, pounds, 262,000; rice fodder taken for use, pounds, 88,000; beef cattle, head, 700; bacon, pounds, 3700; sugar, pounds, 1000; molasses, gallons, 1000; potatoes, bushels, 2000; meal, sacks, 250; salt, barrels, 10; cotton bales destroyed, 2700; cotton-gins and mills destroyed, 50; flour-mills destroyed, 11; saw-mills destroyed, 14; factories destroyed, 3.

The amounts of articles of forage and subsistence given above, are those given in the returns of my quartermaster and commissary. In addition to these amounts, there was doubtless as much more of all such articles taken by the division for use of the men and animals, who subsisted bounteously on the country passed through.

E. M.









Large quanti ty.





Railroads destroyed: on East-Point Railroad, 7 miles; between Atlanta and Chattahoochee, 2 miles; between Social Circle and Madison, 1 mile; between Madison and Oconee, 5 miles; between Milledgeville and Gordon, 2 miles; be tween Tennille and Davisboro, 9 miles; total, 263


CAPTAIN: In compliance with Circular Order, No. 144, I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this brigade, from the capture of Atlanta, September second, 1864, to the occupation of Savannah, Georgia, December twenty-first, 1864:

During the occupation of Atlanta, the brigade was camped near the intersection of the Sandtown with the White-Hall road, and occupied the fortified position of the enemy, constructed to command these roads.

The usual camp and picket duties were performed, and in addition to this, details from the command were on duty in the construction of the chain of fortifications which encircled the city.

On the twenty-fifth day of October, Colonel John Flynn being temporarily in command, the brigade formed part of a foraging expedition under command of Colonel Dustin, Third division, Twentieth corps, and proceeded to Latimer's farin, returning to its camp October twenty-fourth, 1864. This was the only change of duty of any material importance which occurred until No

Railroad bridges across the Oconee and Ocmul-vember ninth, 1864, when Colonel Young, with gee, besides a large number of small bridges, tres- his command of about one thousand (1000) cavaltles, water-tanks, etc., also large quantities of new ry and a section of artillery, drove in the pickets ties, railroad timbers, cord-wood, etc. of the brigade, and sought to enter the works. The attack was easily repulsed, and without a casualty in the brigade. The enemy left two (2) men killed and two (2) men wounded, on the field. From a prisoner captured, it was learned that from fifteen to twenty men had been carried away wounded.

The following table will show the casualties and losses in my command during the entire campaign:

16 342

I desire to return my thanks to the gentlemen composing my staff, departmental and personal. 128 Some deserve special mention for their efficiency 1,000 and uniform attention to duty. To Captain W. T. Forbes, Assistant Adjutant-General, I am 500 especially indebted for the faithful performance of every duty devolving upon him. I must also 1,200 commend Captain Eugene Schilling, my Topo2,060 graphical Engineer, for his general industry and 50 ability, and especially for his energy and faithful15 ness while laying out and superintending the erection of forts under the enemy's guns, during 1 the siege of Savannah.





I am, Colonel, very respectfully, your obedient
700 servant,
Brigadier-General Commanding.

C. O.


During Siege of


E. M.


In concluding this report, I must express my high appreciation of the officers and men whom I have so long commanded, and whose conduct and general discipline on this campaign were worthy of their past well-earned reputation.





SAVANNAH, GA., December 25, 1864.

Captain W. T. Forbes, Assistant Adjutant-Gen-

November 13th.-Acting under the orders of the General commanding division, the brigade was engaged part of this day in destroying the railroad, from the water-tank to a point two and one quarter (21) miles therefrom, in the direction of the Chattahoochee River, by burning the ties and

bending and twisting the rails, and of which a special report was made the day following.

For some days previous to November fifteenth, 1864, active preparations were made for the campaign which commenced that day.

Tuesday, November 15th, at seven A.M., the camp of the brigade was vacated, and the command marched to near Stone Mountain, Georgia, and bivouacked for the night. was that leading through Decatur. marched, thirteen (13) miles.

Early on the morning of November sixteenth, the march was resumed. The position of the brigade was the third in line, the division being in the advance, and, having the trains of the division and the supply and headquarter teams of the corps and wing in charge, was distributed among the wagons-each regiment having a certain num-es, each about seventy-five (75) feet long, were ber to guard, and assist in the passage of obstacles.

burned, and the ties and rails for one and a half miles effectually destroyed. The camp for the night was at Davisboro.

November 28th.-This day was spent in destroying the railroad between Davisboro and Tennille. Two and one half (24) miles of track and five hundred (500) feet of trestle-work were burned.

November 25th.-We crossed Gum Creek at seven A.M., and passed through Hebron, taking the road to Sandersville. On reaching Buffalo Creek Swamp, the bridges were found to be destroyed. The construction of these detained the column until five P.M., when it went into camp on the east side of the creek.

November 26th.-The brigade moved at dayThe road taken | light, and marched to Sandersville, and from there Distance to Tennille, a station on the Central Railroad. Near this place we commenced tearing up the track and destroying it, by burning the ties, and bending, breaking, and twisting the rails. Distance marched, fifteen (15) miles.

November 27th.-This day the brigade, in company with the balance of the division, was engaged in destroying the railroad; two trestle bridg

Yellow River was crossed at Rock Bridge from this place. The road leading through Sheffield was taken, near which place we encamped for the night. Distance marched, twelve (12) miles.

November 17th.-This day we marched through Sheffield and camped near Social Circle, a distance of about eighteen (18) miles.

November 29th.-Marched from Davisboro to Spiers Station, and from thence parallel with the railroad to near New-Bethel, making in all a disdance of twenty-one (21) miles.

November 30th.-Marched to near Louisville, ten (10) miles.

November 18th.-Marched at five A.M., the brigade being in advance, and passed through Social Circle and Rutledge. At the last-named place, the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania volunteers, Colonel John Flynn, was temporarily detached from the column, to destroy the dépôt and warehouses belonging to the railroad company, as well as to tear up the track and bend the rails near those buildings-all of which was effectually accomplished. This night we camped near Madison, having marched about eighteen (18) miles.

December 1st.-Marched at seven A.M., taking the direct road to Millen, and camped for the night at Bark Camp Creek. Distance marched, fourteen (14) miles.


December 2d.-The march was resumed at daylight, and was uninterrupted until Buckhead November 19th.-The command moved at five Creek was reached. The bridge over this place All the trains were left behind, with a suf- was partially destroyed, and a few of the enemy's ficient guard of men, unable to make a rapid cavalry were on the opposite side of the swamp. march, to proceed with the remainder of the corps. Major Wright, commanding the Twenty-ninth We marched to Blue Spring, near the railroad | Ohio volunteers, was ordered to cross the creek bridge over the Oconee River, at which point a with his regiment, and drive and keep away this considerable distance of the railroad was destroy-force, which was accomplished without loss. The ed, by burning the ties and bending and twisting command camped for the night near Buckhead the rails. Distance marched, fifteen (15) miles. Church. Distance marched, eight (8) miles. November 20th.-From Blue Spring, we moved in a direction parallel to the Oconee River to Parks Ferry, and from thence to Philadelphia Church. November twentieth and November twenty-first, to near Dennis Station, at which point we struck the railroad leading from Milledgeville to Eatonton. From this point we marched (November twenty-second) along the railroad to Little River, and from there to Mil-ress of the trains was exceedingly slow in conledgeville, through which we passed, and went sequence. The brigade reached the camp of the into camp on the east side of the river, (Oconce.) | division three and a half (34) miles from Horse November 23d.-The brigade remained in camp Creek, at half-past six A.M., December fourth. this day. Distance marched, fourteen (14) miles. November 24th.-The command moved at seven A.M., in a south-easterly direction, on the road leading to Hebron, and went into camp near Gum Creek for the night. Distance marched, fourteen (14) miles.

December 3d.-The troops of the brigade were to-day in rear of the wagon-trains of the division, in which were included the trains of General Kilpatrick's cavalry command, and did not march from the camp of the preceding night until one P.M. The roads were in a horrible condition, passing as they did through numerous swamps, and across many unbridged streams.

The prog

December 4th.-Marched at nine A. M. During the day, Horse Creek and Crooked Creek were crossed. Distance marched, ten (10) miles.

December 5th.-The distance marched this day was fifteen (15) miles. The road, as had been

the case for several days past, was over plains of a sandy soil, well-timbered, (pine,) and crossed numerous small streams and marshes. The Little Ogeechee River was crossed this day.

December 6th.-Nothing of any special importance transpired to-day.

December 7th.-Owing to the exceeding bad condition of the roads, the troops of the brigade were distributed along the train, and rendered material assistance in pushing them along. The camp for the night was near Springfield, and the distance marched, about twelve (12) miles.

December 8th.-The command moved at daylight, crossing Jack's Creek, and passing through Springfield, in the direction of Monteith.

December 9th and 10th.--These two days were occupied in marching to a point on the Augusta road, five miles from Savannah, Georgia.

December 11th. At nine A.M., the brigade marched to the bank of Savannah River, opposite Huchinson's Island, and went into position in rear of Third (3d) brigade, Second division, there skirmishing slightly with the enemy. In this position it remained until three P.M., when, in compliance with orders from the General commanding division, it was placed in position on the right of the Third brigade, and relieved the troops of the Second brigade, Second division, Twentieth

second in line in the advance into the city. Soon after reaching the city, the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania and Twenty-ninth Ohio volunteers, under the command of Colonel John Flynn, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania volunteers, were, by order of the General commanding division, through Captain Veale, Aid-de-Camp, despatched to occupy Fort Jackson, and the smaller forts and batteries near it. The possession of the fort and other works was gained without resistance.

The Fifth Ohio volunteers, Lieutanant-Colonel Kirkup, commanding, was placed in charge of the arsenal, on President street. With the remainder of the command, I took possession of the United States barracks.

Attached to this report, please find inventories of ordnance and ordnance stores found at each of those places.

I have the honor to call your attention, also, to the statements of the Brigade Quartermaster and Brigade Commissary, and would respectfully state that the forage and subsistence taken by the troops at halts and camps do not enter into these estimates.

December 21st.-The enemy having evacuated their position the night previous, their works were occupied at an early hour by the skirmishers of the division, and by suurise the city of Savannah was entered and occupied, this brigade being the

The supply trains are in much better condition than they were on leaving Atlanta, notwithstanding the long and tedious march, over roads which at times seemed almost impassable.

The rations, owing to judgment exercised by Lieutenant Samuel D. Conner in their issues, lasted until the night of the fifteenth instant. He is deserving of especial credit for the systematic manner in which he secured supplies, and for their equitable distribution to the troops of the command.


At one A.M., December twelfth, in obedience to orders, the brigade was placed under arms, and afterward formed in line in rear of the Third brigade, to await the movement. The orders from the General commanding division, were for me to occupy the position of the Third brigade, when it moved out, it being understood that these The Pioneer corps, under command of Captroops were to assault the works of the enemy attain Hedges, rendered valuable service in the half-past two A.M., and then report to him for further instructions.

At half-past four A.M., I received, through Captain Lambert, orders from the General commanding division, to withdraw my command, and march it to its original position, the assault having been postponed.

construction of bridges, and the repair of roads, and especial thanks are due them for the part taken in the construction of the forts to which allusion has been made.

To the regimental commanders, I tender my thanks, for the strict obedience to orders, and the enforcement of the regulations prescribed in December 12th to December 20th, inclusive.-- regard to the conduct of the march, and especially The command remained in the position previous-are they due to Major M. T. Wright, Twenty-ninth ly mentioned. A substantial line of works was Ohio volunteers, who was seriously wounded thrown up for the protection of the command while supervising the working parties on the from the artillery of the enemy, and, in addition forts, for the promptitude exhibited by him in to this, two forts, with thirteen embrasures in the the execution of all orders, and his strict attenaggregate, were constructed by the command. tion to the duties incumbent on him throughout The working parties on Fort No. 2 were under the entire campaign. the command of Captain Kreicler, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Pennsylvania volunteers, and those on Fort No. 3, under command of Captain

To Lieutenant A. H. W. Creigh, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General; to Captain John W. Watkins, Acting Assistant Inspector-General; to Sur

Both these officers and the men under their command are deserving of praise for the energy and perseverance manifested in the prosecution of the duty assigned them.

E. B. Woodbury, Twenty-ninth Ohio volunteers.geon William R. Longshore, Chief Surgeon of brigade; and to Lieutenant C. W. Kellogg, Acting Aid-de-Camp, my especial thanks are due, for their devotion to duty, and for the creditable manner in which their several departments were conducted.

Accompanying this, please find the reports of the regimental commanders, to which your attention is respectfully called, as well as to the list of casualties which is hereunto annexed:

« PreviousContinue »