Page images

remptorily demanded the surrender of Allatoona, "to avoid a needless effusion of blood." General Corse instantly replied: "We are prepared for the needless effusion of blood whenever it is agreeable to you."

The storm then broke upon the little garrison, and raged with great fury for nearly the whole General Raum, of General John E. Smith's day, but finally the enemy was driven from division, was garrisoning that place. He had every position, and the garrison left in posses-been able to show so bold a front that the ension of the field. emy, probably still having Allatoona in mind,

I call special attention to the accompanying did not attack him except with a skirmish line. report of Brigadier-General Corse, which affords Hood, however, demanded the surrender of Rea full and graphic account of this remarkable saca with a threat to take no prisoners in case of battle. Our losses were quite heavy. The ag- being obliged to carry it by assault. But while gregate killed and wounded being seven hundred he was parleying with the garrison at Resaca, and seven; among the wounded, Colonel Richard large bodies of his army were on the railroad Rowell, Seventh Illinois veteran_infantry, and northward, where he captured the garrisons at Lieutenant-Colonel Tourtellotte, Fourth Minne- Tilton and Dalton; the latter, under command sota infantry, both of whom were complimented of Colonel Johnson, of the Forty-fourth colored for remarkable gallantry. Also Brigadier-Gen- regiment, was surrendered by him without a eral Corse, quite severely wounded about mid- blow. day. He never left the field, and imbued every The railroad track was pretty effectually debody with his own energy and spirit. The stroyed for upward of twenty miles in this vicingarrison buried two hundred and thirty-one ity. The army, except Corse's division left at rebel dead; captured four hundred and eleven Rome, continued its march and arrived in Reprisoners. Among the prisoners, Brigadier-Gen- saca on the fourteenth. Immediately the wagoneral Young. We captured three stand of colors bridge, which had been destroyed by a freshet, and eight hundred stand of arms.

was reconstructed and a reconnoissance made toward Snake Creek Gap by a regiment of General Ransom's command, which came upon the enemy about six miles from Resaca, developing what appeared to be quite a strong force, probably the enemy's rearguard.

General Sherman arrived at Resaca on the evening of the fourteenth, where he issued Special Field Orders No. 91. Pursuant to this, the army of Tennessee marched on the morning of the fifteenth, and came upon the enemy's rearguard, probably a small brigade in intrenchments, covering the mouth of Snake Creek Gap.

While this battle was transpiring, a portion of the army of the Cumberland had reached Pine Hill, and the army of the Ohio was moving out on the Burnt Hickory Road, threatening the enemy's flank and rear. Doubtless these operations, together with the success of the garrison at Allatoona, determined Hood to withdraw and try another experiment.

Pursuant to Special Field Orders No. 87, from your headquarters, the army of the Tennessee took up a position between Big Shanty and Kenesaw Mountain, on the evening of the eighth.

In accordance with special direction from Gen- General Stanley was moving to the right to eral Sherman, this army moved from its camp on pass over the ridge north of the Gap, so that the the evening of the tenth, and made a forced army of the Tennessee simply pressed the enmarch to Kingston, making a distance of thirty-emy's front with a skirmish line, waiting for his eight miles with scarcely a halt. position to be turned by Stanley. The enemy's force, however, was so small that a simple threat. upon his right flank, as if to turn it, caused him to abandon the position and run over the ridge and through the gap. On reaching its mouth we found the pass badly obstructed by felled trees; these obstructions continued for upward of five miles. The infantry did not cease its march a moment, going over the trunks of trees and through the bushes, pushing forward as rapidly as possible, while general and staff-officers, with dismounted orderlies and detachments of pioneers, as fast as they came up, went to work vigorously to clear away the obstructions for the artillery and wagons. Smaller trees were thrown out bodily, the larger ones cut and cleared away with great rapidity, so that the pass was rendered practicable, and the head of the wagon train reached the western opening by seven P.M.

The army encamped for the night near this opening. In accordance with Special Field Orders, No. 92, from your headquarters, the army

During the twelfth, the march was continued to the vicinity of Rome. A brigade of General Hazen's division was taken by cars directly to Rome from Allatoona, as soon as my head of column had arrived at that place. This was in anticipation that Hood might make an attempt on Rome.

General Ransom, with the Seventeenth corps, took a cross-road which was muddy, rough, and extremely difficult for wagons, He arrived at Adairsville about twelve midnight; finding cars there, he sent Belknap's division straight on to Resaca.

General Corse with his division and that brigade and a battery of artillery, crossed the Etowah on the thirteenth, and made a reconnoissance with a view to develop the force guarding the bridge, by which the enemy crossed the Coosa some sixteen miles below. This move was simultaneous with that of the army of the Ohio, and the cavalry on the other bank.

The fact that Hood had completely crossed the Coosa and moved northward toward Resaca and Dalton with his entire army was ascertained, whereupon I was ordered by General Sherman to move at once to Resaca, sending on one division by cars from Adairsville.

marched toward Ship's Gap, the Fifteenth corps, Major-General Osterhaus, leading.

His first division, Brigadier-General Wood commanding, encountered the enemy's skirmishers not far from the summit of Taylor's Ridge. What is called Ship's Gap is a slight depression in the ridge, over which the road winds in a circuitous manner, seeking a gradual ascent along the spurs.

General Wood confronted the rebels with considerable force, and then threw a regiment around their flank, capturing between thirty and forty of them. The rest gave way and fled, whereupon the advance was pushed about a mile beyond the ridge, and, with the rest of the army, went into camp for the night.

In accordance with Special Field Orders, No. 94, from Headquarters Military Division Mississippi, the command moved forward on the following day, and encamped at La Fayette.

On the eighteenth, the army of the Tennessee continued its march along the La Fayette and Summerville road to the vicinity of Summerville, crossing the Chattooga River near Tryon's Factory. The bridge across the stream had been partially destroyed, but was quickly repaired by the pioneer corps.

On the following day, the command moved to Alpine, and on the twentieth pushed on by two routes to Galesville, the Fifteenth corps moving to the right on the Shinbone Valley road, via Davis's Cross-Roads, and the Seventeenth corps on the direct road passing through Ringgold.


Bridges having been built across the Chattooga, and a pontoon having been laid over the Coosa, the trains moved in advance on the afternoon of the twenty-eighth, and were all across these rivers at daylight on the twenty-ninth.

tinued its march, and on the night of the third, both corps encamped in the vicinity of Dallas. On the following day, the Seventeenth corps moved to Lost Mountain, while the Fifteenth proceeded in the direction of Powder Springs.

The army followed across these rivers, the rearguard completely destroying the bridges, and encamped on Cowan's Creek, and on the following day pushed on to Cave Spring.

On the first of November, the command moved on parallel roads from Cave Spring to Cedar Town, and on the following day pushed forward in the same order, the Seventeenth corps reaching Van Wert, and the Fifteenth encamping a few mile south of Van Wert. The army con

[blocks in formation]


CEDAR TOWN, GEORGIA, November 1, 1864. GENERAL FIELD ORDERS No. 21: The officers and soldiers of the army of the Tennessee will hear with deep sorrow and regret the news of the death of Brigadier-General T. E. G. Ransom, lately commanding Seventeenth army corps.

General Ransom was ill at the very beginning of this campaign, but was unwilling to leave the field, and hoping the attack of the fell disease which caused his death was but temporary, he did not cease day or night, as was ever his wont, to exert himself to the utmost in his country's service.

Pursuant to Special Field Orders, No. 99, Headquarters Military Division Mississippi, the army moved on the old Alabama road, and took up a position on Little River, throwing a strong advance-guard across the river, toward Blue Pond. This position was maintained until the twenty-eighth. In the mean time, however, a While with me, in command of his division of bridge was thrown across Little River, and the Sixteenth corps, after the wound of MajorWoods's and Hazen's divisions of the Fifteenth General Dodge, in command of that corps at Atcorps, with two batteries of artillery, Major-Gen-lanta and Jonesboro, and then in command of the eral Osterhaus commanding, made a reconnois- Seventeenth corps during the present vigorous sance in the direction of Tarkeytown, and devel- operations, he showed himself an officer of the oped the enemy in some force, occupying hastily- highest order of merit, as also a man of a pure constructed works, extending across the valley and elevated character. It is with a feeling of from the mountain to the river. After a slight deep sorrow at our loss that I refer to this young skirmish the enemy retired, and our forces fell man, so full of promise, so enthusiastic in his back, having accomplished the object of the country's cause, so untiring in his exertions to thwart the wicked men who have raised their hands against us; but he has done well his part, and, like so many other of our comrades who have worked with us, he has gone peacefully to the haven of rest. We will cherish his bright memory, and strive to attain his irreproachable character. O. O. HOWARD, Major-General.

When the army reached Galesville, Alabama, he was.compelled, by aggravated symptoms, to relinquish his command, and now we learn that on the twenty-eighth ultimo, while being carried on a stretcher to Rome, he died.* General Ransom was much beloved by all who knew him, and this army has lost one of its most useful officers and brightest ornaments. His noble record is too familiar to need recounting here.

I have said very little in my brief sketch of this remarkable campaign of nearly three hundred miles marching, of the methods of procuring supplies.

We were directed by the General-in-Chief to

*I subsequently learned that the General was taken from the litter, and was resting at a comfortable house when he died.

take ten days, but so far as forage is concerned, we did not have it, and could not procure it.

After the first day, we found large fields of good grass in the vicinity of Smyrna campground and Marietta. At every halt, these fields were covered with the horses, mules, and cattle belonging to the army.

We lost large numbers of the poorer mules and artillery horses at first, and, in fact, till after passing Ship's Gap. As the ration-wagons became empty, the poorer mules were attached and sent to Chattanooga, and the good ones retained. At Resaca, at Rome, and at places in the vicinity of Rome, considerable transportation was broken up and mules assigned to the artillery, so as to be able to move it. At Galesville, pursuant to directions from General Sherman, the artillery was reduced to one battery to a division; by exchanges, the good horses were attached to the retained batteries, and the rest sent to Rome and Chattanooga.

We found plenty of forage, after passing Taylor's Ridge, in the different valleys, down as far as Little River. Vann's Valley is very fertile, and was filled with corn, sweet potatoes, flour, pigs, cattle, sheep, and fowl.

Cedar Town and its vicinity also gave us plenty of corn. The animals continued to improve, and the command was well supplied with provisions up to our return to Smyrna camp-ground. At this place we remained till the thirteenth of November, preparing for the ensuing campaign. During the twelfth, the army of the Tennessee destroyed the railroad from Big Shanty to the Chattahoochee River, burning the ties and bend ing the rails, a stretch of road twenty-two miles in extent.

On the thirteenth, the army marched to the vicinity of Atlanta; encamped near Whitehall.

While the sick, and the surplus stores of every kind that had accumulated at Atlanta, were being removed to Chattanooga and Nashville, General Corse was having the same thing done at Rome. On the tenth, after having destroyed the publie storehouses, he evacuated Rome, and set out for Atlanta, reaching its vicinity on the evening of the fourteenth.

General John E. Smith's division, which had been guarding the railroad during our Atlanta campaign, and parts of which were located at Allatoona and Resaca, had concentrated near Cartersville by the tenth of November, and reached Atlanta the morning of the fourteenth.

By breaking up the line of communication, my army was increased in effective force by above two divisions, which had been detached.

After the reestablishment of the railroad, quite a large number of recruits joined the different regiments, so that the effective force for the coming campaign reached an aggregate of nearly thirty thousand. Taking every thing into consideration, the campaign of three hundred miles, which General Hood inaugurated with so much éclat, was to our army a positive advantageboth men and animals were better prepared for future operations at its end than at its beginning,

[blocks in formation]

Captain L. M. Dayton, Aid-de-Camp:

CAPTAIN: The campaign of Savannah is so closely connected with the campaign into Alabama, just closed, and I have so carefully stated the strength of my army, and left it concentrated at Atlanta, where it remained but one day, that I will not weary you with a repetition.

General Sherman's Field Orders Nos. 115 and 119, issued from Kingston, Georgia-so remarkable for completeness, and so explicit that they could not be misunderstood, have been faithfully adhered to. They were the means of initiating preparations fully adequate to the work that has been accomplished.

My command consisted of two army corps, the Fifteenth, Major-General P. J. Osterhaus, of four divisions, as follows: First division, Brigadier-General Woods; Second division, BrigadierGeneral W. B. Hazen; Third division, BrigadierGeneral John E. Smith; Fourth division, Brigadier-General J. M. Corse.

The Seventeenth corps, Major-General F. P. Blair commanding, consisted of three divisions, as follows: First division, Major-General Joseph A. Mower; Third division, Brigadier-General M. D. Leggett; Fourth division, Brigadier-General Giles A. Smith; one regiment of cavalry, First Alabama; one engineer regiment, First Missouri; and a bridge-train of sufficient capacity to throw two bridges across any stream that we found en route.

At Gordon, I made the following report, which I will re-submit without change:


GORDON, GEORGIA, November 28, 1864. S Major-General W. T. Sherman:

GENERAL: In accordance with Special Field Order No. 124, from your headquarters, dated November fourteenth, 1864, my command marched from Whitehall, near Atlanta, in two columns. The left column, Major-General Blair commanding, took the direct McDonough road. This column consisted of the Seventeenth corps, bridge-train, engineer regiment, and supply-train of General Kilpatrick's cavalry, the whole preceded by the First Alabama regiment. The right column of the Fifteenth corps, Major-GeneralOsterhaus commanding department headquarter train, and the herds of cattle.

This column moved via Rough and Ready, turning to the left toward McDonough, about five miles from Jonesboro.

Upon the evening of the fifteenth, the command went into camp; Kilpatrick near Jonesboro, the heads of the two infantry columns near.

Stockbridge. Kilpatrick met the enemy's cavalry skirmishers near East-Point, and drove them before him to the crossing of Flint River. Osterhaus met them not far from Rough and Ready, and again in the vicinity of Stockbridge. He found encamped at that point Lewis's brigade of rebel cavalry, reported nine hundred strong.

General Kilpatrick waited at Clinton until the arrival of the head of the infantry column at twelve M., when he moved out toward Macon, on the left Macon road.

He met the enemy's cavalry about four miles from Macon, drove them in, and charged their works, defended by infantry and artillery. The head of his column got inside the works, but could not hold them. He succeeded in reaching the railroad, and destroyed about one mile of the track. The road was struck in two or three places by the cavalry, beside the above, and a train of cars burned. It rained hard during the entire night.

November 16, 1864.-The command marched to the vicinity of McDonough by three routes. General Osterhaus met the enemy's cavalry at the crossing of Cotton River. They retreated rapidly, setting fire to the bridge. Some mounted infantry that he had in advance drove them from the bridge in time to put out the fire, and save every thing but the planking. The bridge November 21, 1864.-The cavalry took up an was immediately repaired, and detained the col-advance position covering all roads debouching umn just forty minutes. from Macon. General Blair continued his march

General Kilpatrick crossed the Flint River at direct on Gordon, reaching that place with his the bridge near Jonesboro, at seven A.M. Find- leading division. The right column was subdiing the enemy had left that place, he followed vided; two divisions, with small trains, taking him to Lovejoy, where he occupied the strong the road toward Irwinton, and the rest, with position there, having two brigades of cavalry headquarters, bridge-train, cattie, etc., moving and two pieces of artillery, and holding the old on the direct Gordon road. The centre and left rebel works. The General charged the works column met at a point, six miles from Gordon, with dismounted cavalry, and carried them, driv- called Pitt's Mill, where the centre made a paraling back the enemy. Subsequently, the enemy's lel road into Gordon. Only the division of Genartillery was overtaken by another charging col-eral G. A. Smith, however, reached Gordon on the umn, and captured. He drove the enemy be- twenty-first. yond Bear Station, capturing over fifty prisoners. He then moved to the left, and encamped on the Griffin and McDonough road.

November 17, 1864.-Moved to Jackson and its vicinity in three columns, encamping the right near Indian Springs, and the left at Hendrick's Mill. General Kilpatrick moved to Towaligo Creek. Some cavalry of the enemy crossed the creek, burning the bridges.

November 22, 1864.-The troops and trains were closed up toward Gordon, excepting General Woods's division, who was directed to take up a strong position on the Irwinton road, and make a demonstration toward Macon. The demonstration was made by General Walcott's brigade, in conjunction with the cavalry on the different roads. The rebel cavalry, in force, made a charge early in the morning, capturing one of our cavalry picket-posts, estimated forty-five men killed, wounded, and missing.

Quite a little action grew out of it, in which there was charging and counter-charging of cavalry, when, finally, the enemy were driven from the field in confusion, Walcott's infantry, skirmishing, lending a hand.

November 18, 1864.-The nearest division was pushed to Hatting's or Planters' Factory early next morning, and a part of it crossed over by the ferry. The bridge arrived at about ten A.M., was laid, and the troops commenced crossing at one P.M.; during that day and night, General Blair's corps, Third division, Fifteenth corps, and all the cavalry had crossed. The hill on the east In the afternoon, Walcott had taken up a poside was steep, and the heavy rain during the sition, two miles in advance of his division, tonight rendered the ascent extremely difficult. ward Macon, having two pieces of artillery, and On the morning of the nineteenth instant, regi-had thrown up rail barricades, when he was atments were detailed in each division to assist the trains in getting up the hill. The Fifteenth corps, following the cavalry, took country roads to Hillsborough. The Seventeenth corps moved to the vicinity of Hillsborough, via Monticello. The roads now becoming very heavy, the progress was slow. We had two bridges at the point of crossing, and they were kept full all day. Yet the crossing was not completed by the rearguard until the morning of the twentieth instant. November 20, 1864.-The command moved on Gordon in two columns, General Kilpatrick, with his cavalry, taking the Clinton road and the riverroad toward Macon. General Osterhaus, with the bridge-train, cavalry-train, etc., moved toward Clinton; General Blair, with his command, via Bluntsville. The head of the right column encamped at Clinton, and the left near Fortsville.

tacked by quite a large body of infantry, accompanied by some artillery-probably a battery of four guns. The assault was made with great vigor, but was met in the usual manner, and completely repulsed.

The action continued for some three hours. Walcott was assisted by a regiment of cavalry on either flank. General Woods was present during the action, and General Osterhaus part of the time. I regret to say that General Walcott— than whom there is not a braver or better officer-was wounded; but I hope not seriously. The conduct of the troops, both cavalry and infantry, was highly commended by the general officers present.

On my arrival at Gordon, I directed General Blair to send forward the First Alabama cavalry and General G. A. Smith's division some eight

[ocr errors][ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »