Page images

forty-three muskets; one enlisted man supposed to be captured while out with a foraging detail. The number of animals captured is as follows: Eleven (11) horses, twelve (12) mules, and about one hundred (100) cattle. There were also about twenty-five (25) negroes picked up on the march. During the time from starting from Atlanta, November fifteenth to December twenty-first, there was issued to the command, of Government rations, namely, thirteen (13) days' hard bread, twenty (20) days' coffee, fifteen (15) days' sugar, twenty-six (26) days' salt. There were also issued one thousand pounds of grain for the animals. The remainder needed by the regiment being foraged from the country.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding Regiment.


SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 25, 1864. Captain A. E. Lee, Assistant Adjutant-General of the Third Brigade, First Division, Tientieth Army Corps:

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the One Hundred and First regiment of Illinois volunteers, from the occupation of Atlanta by the United States forces, to the capture of the city of Savannah.

From the second of September, when Atlanta fell into the hands of the Union army, until the twenty-first of September, the regiment which I have the honor to command remained quietly in camp. On the twenty-first, it was detailed on duty in the fire department, and remained on that duty during the whole time that Atlanta was occupied by our forces. On the fifteenth of October, the regiment went with the brigade on a foraging expedition to Flat Shoals, on which expedition the regiment was gone four days, and loaded thirty-two wagons with forage. Again, on the twenty-sixth of October, the regiment went with the brigade on a foraging expedition to Berkshire Post-Office, remaining four days, and in conjunction with the Eighty-second Ohio veteran volunteers loading sixty wagons with forage. During the remainder of the time until the commencement of the recent expedition, the regiment remained quietly in camp.

On the morning of the fifteenth of November, the regiment left the city of Atlanta, or rather what was left of the city of Atlanta, and started on the great raid through Georgia, and marched on that day to Stone Mountain, a distance of about fourteen miles. On the sixteenth, during the morning, it tore up and destroyed about half a mile of the railroad track on the Atlanta and Augusta road, and then marched to the Yellow River about fifteen miles, reaching camp about two A.M. On the seventeenth, we marched about fifteen miles, encamping in the country about one o'clock A.M. On the eighteenth, we marched, passing through Social Circle about noon, and proceeding nearly to Madison, making in all about

fifteen miles. On the nineteenth, we marched through Madison, and proceeded on the Eatonton road, making about ten miles. On the twentieth, we marched toward Eatonton about ten miles, reaching a point about four miles from Eatonton. On the twenty-first, we marched through Eatonton and on toward Milledgeville, making about fifteen miles. On the twenty-second, we marched about eleven miles to Milledgeville; and on the twenty-third remained there. On the twentyfourth, marched toward Hebron, about fifteen miles. On the twenty-fifth, the regiment was the leading regiment of the corps. We marched about four miles until we reached Buffalo Creek, where the series of bridges were found to have been destroyed. The regiment was engaged for a while in repairing these bridges. About noon, a party of rebel cavalry having been stirred up across the creek, the right wing of the regiment was sent across to attend to them. About two o'clock, the bridges being completed, we crossed over, where one of the companies rejoined us, and the other four were left to guard the crossing, until the Second division of the corps should come over. With six companies we marched ahead about two miles farther, when a brisk cavalry skirmish was stirred up in front, and a large number of "bummers" made a rapid retreat from the front. The regiment was promptly formed in line of battle to the right of the road, and then advanced about two hundred yards, when we were ordered to encamp for the night. On the twenty-sixth, we marched toward Sandersville. After proceeding about two miles, the regiment was sent to the right about half a mile, to dislodge some guerrillas, which we did, and we also destroyed a gin and about one hundred bales of cotton, after which we rejoined the column and marched to Sandersville, and thence to Powers's on the Macon and Savannah Railroad, where we encamped for the night, having marched about twelve miles. On the twenty-seventh, we marched to Davisboro, a distance of about twenty miles, having to make a detour to avoid a swamp. On the twenty-eighth, we marched along the railroad to Spiers's, tearing up the track to within three miles of that place. I am unable to state how much the regiment tore up during the day, but should say, that of eleven regiments engaged in the destruction of seven miles, it did its full proportion. On the twenty-ninth, we went back about three miles, and finished the destruction of the railroad to Spiers's, doing about one sixth of the destruction. We then marched in the direction of Louisville about twelve miles. On the thirtieth, we marched to where the Third division was in camp, about two and a half miles east of Louisville, on the eastern side of the Ogeechee River, having made a march of about eighteen miles. On the first of December, we marched in the direction of Millen, about fifteen miles, reaching camp about one o'clock A.M. On the second, we marched about fifteen miles to Buckhead Church. On the third, we marched about fifteen miles, passing about three miles north of Millen, and marching in the direction of Sylvania. On

the fourth, we marched about twelve miles.


to forage, our horses were subsisted wholly from what we gathered on the march, and they have grown fat from it, for they had all they could eat. As to negroes, I should place the number picked up by the regiment at about forty.

In conclusion, I would state, that, so far as the regiment is concerned, the whole expedition was a splendid affair. I feel glad to say, that I have not lost a man, killed or captured, and only three wounded by the accidental falling of railroad iron upon them, while engaged in tearing up the track, one of them seriously, the others only slightly. And I would take this occasion to return my thanks to all, both officers and men, for their ready obedience to my orders, and for their good soldierly conduct on the whole march.

I have the honor to remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant, JOHN B. LE SAGE,

Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding One Hundred and First
Regiment Illinois Volunteers.


Colonel George Robinson, Commanding Third Brigade, First Division, Twentieth Corps: SIR: I have the honor to submit to you the report of operations of my regiment since the entrance of Atlanta up to the present moment.

the fifth, marched two and a half miles, and went into camp about eleven P.M. On the sixth, marched about eight or ten miles toward Springfield. On the seventh, seven companies were detached to back after forage with wagons, which they go loaded, and rejoined the regiment that night, which had marched about ten miles toward Springfield. On the eighth, we marched to Springfield, four miles, and from there toward Monteith, about twelve miles. On the ninth, we marched toward Monteith Station, on the Savannah and Charleston Railroad. About two P.M., we reached a swamp, where the rebels had obstructed the road with felled timber, and commanded the road with artillery, placed in a couple of redoubts on the other side. The Sixty-first Ohio veteran volunteers and Thirty-first Wisconsin volunteers of our brigade were sent to the left to wade the swamp and flank the rebel position. This they did splendidly. At the first fire which they opened, the rest of the brigade rushed forward to their assistance, but they had completed the task and held the forts; the rebels, unfortunately, making good their retreat. We camped for the night around the forts, having marched about eight miles. On the tenth, we marched to Monteith Station, where we tore up the railroad, completely destroying about twice the length of the regiment, and then marched to where the rebel line of works around the city of Savannah confronted us, a distance of about nine miles. Here we went into position. Late in the evening, the regiment was sent out to hold a road, while the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania veteran volunteers proceeded to the river on a reconnoissance. On the eleventh, we changed position, moving farther to the left. About nine o'clock P.M., I was ordered, with my own regiment and the Eighty-second Illinois volunteers and Sixty-first Ohio veteran volunteers, to proceed to the rear of the train and guard the train, against which the rebel cavalry, under Wheeler, were said to be demonstrating. I reached the point designated about one A.M., and went into position. We remained here until the thirteenth, when the rest of the brigade came out, and with a slight change of position we went into camp, building a strong line of breastworks. Here we remained until the twentythird, when we moved to our present position. As to the number of horses, mules, and cattle It was on the morning of the fifteenth of Nocaptured by the regiment, I have no very correct vember, when we started on (as we know now) idea. We captured no horses, probably three for Savannah. We encamped this night on the or four mules, and as to cattle, I have no idea. other side of Decatur, a little town on the AtWe foraged a great deal of beef, we captured and lanta and Augusta Railroad, where we arrived at turned in to the brigade commissary about twen-eight o'clock P.M. On the sixteenth, we left at ty head of cattle, and in addition to that, I should eight o'clock A.M., and commenced to tear up estimate the number of cattle foraged by the re- and burned the railroad until four o'clock P.M. giment for their own use at about fifty head, but arrived in camp at twelve o'clock P.M. Marched it is mere guess-work. We captured large num- November seventeenth and eighteenth. On Nobers of hogs, sheep, and various kinds of poultry.vember nineteenth, we passed Madison, and campWe lived almost wholly upon what we foraged. Excepting sugar and coffee, and occasional issues of hard bread, we lived wholly upon the country, and with but one or two days' exception, fared, I might say, for soldiers, sumptuously. As

On the fourth of September, 1864, we did strike tents at the Chattahoochee River and entered Atlanta at eleven o'clock A.M., where we pitched camp on the north side of the city at the old inner rebel works; where we stopped until September twelfth, when we were detailed to take charge of the military confederate prisoners till October fourth, 1864. During October sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth, we were ordered to go on a foraging expedition in charge of Colonel Robinson. On the same we loaded all wagons taken along with corn and straw, also eatables, as sweet potatoes, pork, and beef. Another foraging expedition we participated in, under the command of Brigadier-General Geary, commanding Second division, Twentieth corps, on the twenty-sixth, twenty-seventh, twenty-eighth, and twenty-ninth, at which there was a similar result. We loaded up till we received (by an order from General Sherman) marching orders.

ed at one o'clock P.M. Marched twentieth, twenty-first, twenty-second, and arrived at Milledgeville, the capital of Georgia, at nine o'clock P.M. Laid up November twenty-third; and marched November twenty-fourth, twenty-fifth, and twen

ty-sixth; and destroyed here Station No. 13 of men and animals of the corps. Started on the the Augusta and Macon Railroad. November recent campaign November fifteenth, following twenty-seventh, marched to Davisboro, Station the line of the Augusta Railroad as far as MadiNo. 12. November twenty-eighth, marched and son, where we turned southward and struck the tore up railroad for ten miles, and camped at Milledgeville Railroad at Eatonton, and entered Station No. 11. November twenty-ninth, march- Milledgeville November twenty-second. Resumed and tore up two miles of railroad. Marched ed the march November twenty-fourth, and on from December first to eighth inclusive. On the twenty-sixth struck the Georgia Central Rail-* December ninth, marched two miles, and had to road and destroyed a portion of the track near reconnoitre the surrounding country and flank Station No. 13. November twenty-seventh, mova small body of the enemy hovering round our ed eastward along the line of the Georgia Central front; arrived in camp at six o'clock P.M. On Railroad, and on the twenty-eighth assisted in the tenth, we struck the Savannah and Charles- destroying the track and bridges between Daviston Railroad, destroyed and burned it up, near boro and Spiers -Station. Resumed the march the bridge over the Savannah River, and encamp- on the twenty-ninth, and on the thirtieth crossed ed four and a half miles from Savannah. Decem- the Ogeechee River. No incident of importance ber eleventh, took position, but were withdrawn transpired till December ninth, when I was oragain at ten o'clock that night, to protect the dered to assist Colonel West, Thirty-first Wistrains from the rear. Remained here from De- consin volunteers, to capture two small forts of cember twelfth to twenty-second inclusive. De- the enemy, erected to command the road at a cember twenty-third, we left this camp and point where it passed through a dense swamp moved into Savannah, where we arrived at one fourteen miles from Savannah. We penetrated o'clock P.M., and are now encamped on the west the swamp to the left of the road, and when side of Savannah. within a hundred yards of the enemy, they opened upon us with musketry. A charge was ordered, and we pushed forward over a formidable abattis, and entered one of the forts; and at the same moment the colors of the Thirty-first Wisconsin were planted upon the other. The enemy escaped with his artillery. I had one man severely wounded in the engagement. December tenth, advanced and took position before Savannah. December eleventh, moved to the rear and took position near the railroad, seven miles from Savannah, for the protection of the wagon-trains, where we remained until the capture of the city.

Here I must remark yet, that during the last campaign our foraging parties have supplied the regiment with a plentiness of sweet potatoes, poultry, fresh and salt pork, beef, forage, and other eatables for men and animals. We obtained about ten horses and sixteen mules, with which we completed our regimental team, and turned over the rest to the Provost-Marshal of the brigade. At the same time we picked up eleven negroes, which supplied the places of officerservants and company cooks, on the latter end of the campaign; so my command has never lived any better since in service, as while this tramp was made. Cotton and cotton-presses were also destroyed whenever found, and an order from a superior officer was given.

Officers and enlisted men behaved themselves, and were as obedient to orders as usual.

Major commanding Eighty-second Illinois Volunteers.


December 26, 1864.

Captain A. E. Lee, Acting Assistant Adjutant-
General, Third Brigade, First Division, Tuen-
tieth Army Corps:

[blocks in formation]

Lieutenant-Colonel H. W. Perkins, Assistant Adjutant-General, Twentieth Army Corps: COLONEL: I have the honor to submit the folCAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this division lowing report of the operations of the Sixty-first from the date of the occupation of Atlanta, SepOhio volunteers from the occupation of Atlanta tember second, until that of the occupation of to the capture of Savannah by the National Savannah, December twenty-first, 1864. forces.

Entered Atlanta September fourth, and occupied the intrenchments of the enemy. On October sixth, was assigned to a position on Peach Tree Creek road. During our stay at this place accompanied two foraging expeditions: the first, under command of Colonel Robinson, to Flat Rock, Georgia; and the second, under command of Brigadier-General Geary, to Stone Mountain; the object being to procure subsistence for the

From the second of September until the fifteenth of November, this command remained encamped in Atlanta, performing guard and fatigueduty, and making occasional reconnoissances. The work performed and movements made during that time are here detailed in diary form.

Two regiments, the One Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania veteran volunteers, and the Sixtysixth Ohio veteran volunteers were assigned to special duty in Atlanta-the former as provost

guard, and the latter reporting to Colonel Beckwith, Chief Commissary.

During the month of September, nothing occurred to disturb the routine of camp life. About the first of October, a general movement of all the corps, excepting the Twentieth, was made to the rear to meet certain movements of the enemy. Our corps being left to hold Atlanta, we commenced the construction of an inner line of forts and rifle-pits, our camp still remaining near the old outer line, which we had strengthened and improved by slashing and abattis. From the third until the twentieth of October, with the exception of a few days, one thousand men from this division worked daily upon the inner line, which was formidably strong.

The interruption of our communications by Hood's army, had, by the tenth of October, caused a great scarcity of forage in Atlanta, and to prevent the total sacrifice of our horses and mules, it became necessary to draw entirely upon the surrounding country.

The first foraging expedition for this purpose was sent out under my command on the eleventh October.

October 11.-At seven A.M. I left Atlanta, in command of a foraging expedition, composed as follows:

Detachments from my division under Colonel H. A. Barnum, one thousand and fifty men; Second brigade, First division, under Colonel Carman, one thousand and eighty men; cavalry, under Colonel J. Garrard, seven hundred men; one battery under Lieutenant Sandy, four threeinch rifle-guns; four hundred and twenty wagons from the different commands at this post.

Reached Flat Rock at six P.M., small detachments of the enemy's cavalry retiring before my advance.

Here I encamped and parked my trains, in a position strengthened by rail defences; and from this place as a dépôt, my foraging operations were conducted.

October 12.-Crossed South-River at Flat Rock, and during the day loaded about three hundred wagons within a distance of three miles, along the Fayetteville road. These were sent to the temporary dépôt.

About noon, one of my cavalry outposts was attacked by a party of the enemy, who were driven off, two men of Colonel Garrard's command being wounded in the affair. Shortly before dark the enemy attacked another outpost, and were charged by a detachment of my cavalry, who drove them a mile and a half, with a loss of two rebels killed. I subsequently ascertained that the enemy's main body near me was seven hundred strong, with two pieces of artillery.

October 13.-At day-break, leaving the laden trains under guard at the dépôt, I recrossed the river, loaded the balance of my wagons, and at eight P.M. commenced my return to Atlanta.

October 14.-By one o'clock A.M., I reached a point within six miles of Atlanta, where I halted VOL. IX-Doc. 6

and rested my command until half-past six A.M.; then resumed the march and entered the city. The distance marched during the expedition was forty-six miles; amount of corn brought to Atlanta, upward of ten thousand bushels; besides which, about three thousand five hundred animals used with my trains, and all my men, were amply subsisted on the country. Twenty-one bales of cotton were also brought in.

October 16.-Another foraging expedition was sent out under command of Colonel Robinson, of the First division-one hundred men from my Second brigade were detailed, and formed part of this force. After four days' absence, they returned with their trains well loaded with corn.

October 20 to 24.-Detachments from my command were engaged taking up the iron, and destroying the track on the West-Point Railroad, during which considerable skirmishing took place with the rebel cavalry near East-Point.

October 26.-At seven A.M., I left Atlanta, in command of a foraging expedition composed as follows:

The Third brigade of my division, under Lieutenant-Colonel Van Voorhes, nine hundred and forty-five men; Third brigade, First division, under Colonel Robinson, one thousand two hundred men; Second brigade, Third division, under Major Brant, six hundred and forty-two men ; cavalry, under Colonel Garrard, four hundred men; two batteries under Captain Bainbridge; six hundred and seventy-two wagons from the different commands and detachments in and around Atlanta.

Reached Decatur at one P.M. Learning here that the enemy had concentrated a force from two to four thousand strong, between Stone Mountain and Lawrenceville, I sent a request to Major-General Slocum, for a force to be sent to Stone Mountain, with the object of preventing annoyance on my right flank. This request was responded to by sending my Second brigade, under Colonel Mindil. Without delaying at Decatur, I detached the main body of my cavalry, seven hundred infantry, and a section of artillery, the whole under Colonel Garrard, with orders to proceed to Stone Mountain, and hold the roads and passes there. With the rest of my command and train I moved on the Lawrenceville road six miles, then passed to the right over a wood road, and struck the main road to Stone Mountain, about two miles from that place. Here I was joined by Colonel Garrard. Leaving a strong cavalry-guard to hold the village, I moved on the Stone Mountain and Lawrenceville road to Trickum Cross-Roads, near which we camped for the night.

Receiving information about nine P.M., that Colonel Mindil with his command had arrived within four miles of Stone Mountain, I sent him orders to push on as near the mountain as possible, and to join me on the following morning.

Information obtained this evening confirmed that I had received at Decatur respecting the enemy's force in this vicinity.

October 27.—Early in the morning my pickets were attacked several times by rebel cavalry; one of my men was killed, and another wounded. During the day I sent out portions of my train with strong escorts, and loaded about three hundred wagons. In the afternoon a regiment of my cavalry, under Lieutenant-Colonel Way, met the enemy near Yellow River, and learned of a considerable force being in Lawrenceville. The party first met retreated across the river and burned the bridge.

served it quite rapidly for an hour, but without injuring a single person in our lines or camps. There was no artillery in position in my line when the attack commenced, but a battery was soon sent down at my request, and gave the retreating enemy a few shots, causing them to hasten their departure. The whole affair lasted from seven A.M. to a quarter past eight.

The enemy left in our hands two dead and two prisoners, one of whom was mortally wounded. Subsequent statements in the rebel newsBy my orders, Colonel Way followed them, paper accounts of the affair give their entire loss crossed the river, and charged through Law-as about forty. There were no casualties on our renceville, driving the enemy in confusion.

Learning that abundance of forage could be procured east of the river, I sent two hundred and fifty wagons with a strong escort, under Colonel Robinson, to cross and load in the fields beyond. The remaining empty wagons I sent to Colonel Garrard, to be loaded near the Rock Bridge road, east of Stone Mountain. By three P.M., all the wagons were loaded and ready to turn. I then concentrated all my troops and trains, and encamped them on the Decatur road, two miles west of Stone Mountain.


November 11.-Received to-day the orders announcing the organization of the army of Georgia, and the order of Brigadier-General Williams upon taking command of the Twentieth corps, MajorGeneral Slocum being assigned to command the left wing army of Georgia.

November 15.-In accordance with orders rere-ceived on the previous night, my division, with the exception of one regiment, the One Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania veteran volunteers, broke camp at an early hour in the morning, and at seven o'clock moved out upon the Decatur road, following the First division. Shortly after passing beyond the old line of rebel works, I was obliged to halt on account of the detention of the troops and trains in my front, and several hours elapsed before the road was sufficiently clear to allow of my advance. Resuming the march, I moved on, keeping well closed upon the rear of the First division, and halting for dinner near Decatur. After passing through the village, I took advantage of every field to move the head of my column parallel to the train of the preceding division. The head of column went into camp near Stone Mountain about eleven P.M.

October 29.-By one A.M., all my wagons had reached the camp. At seven A.M., I commenced my return to Atlanta, which place my advance reached about three P.M. As the result of the expedition, besides subsisting my men and animals on the country, we brought to Atlanta nineteen thousand three hundred bushels of ears of corn, five wagon-loads of wheat, four bales of cotton, and about one hundred head of cattle, which were distributed among the different commands. I captured from the enemy twelve prisoners.

November 1.-Received orders to be prepared for active campaign at an hour's notice, any day after the fourth instant; also to ship surplus stores and baggage to the rear.

November 4.-Shipped the surplus stores and baggage of the division to Nashville.

November 5.-At one P.M., received orders to move at two o'clock, and to encamp outside the city, on the McDonough turnpike. The entire division, with all its trains, moved as ordered, encamping two miles from the city.

November 6.-At twelve o'clock, received orders to return to our camp in Atlanta, and there to await further orders, keeping our trains loaded for campaign. The order was complied with, and by night every thing belonging to the command was back again.

November 9.-Before daylight this morning we were roused by the sounds of artillery in our front, and found a force of the enemy attacking my line, on the East-Point road. A portion of my pickets at that point were driven in by a charge of dismounted cavalry from Iverson's brigade of Georgia troops. This line of the enemy advanced within about one hundred and fifty yards of our outer works, when they received a destructive fire, and retreated hastily. In the mean time they had planted a battery within four hundred yards of our works, and

The march during the day was continually delayed by halts and detentions, caused by the miserable character of the animals in our trains. The roads travelled were bad; the weather was beautiful. The distance marched during the day was fifteen miles.

November 16.-I broke camp at eight A.M., and moved out in advance of the corps; crossed Yellow River at Rock Bridge at three P.M., and went into camp three miles beyond, having marched during the day ten miles.

The marching to-day was necessarily slow, owing to the bad character of the roads and bad condition of our animals. The country through which I passed was for the most part poor and undulating, and east of Yellow River the road crosses a number of swampy streams and steep ridges.

November 17.-Moved from camp again at five o'clock, in advance of the corps. Encamped for the night on the west bank of the Ulcofauhatchie River, having marched seventeen miles. roads travelled were very good, and the country traversed was fine.


November 18.-Moved at five A.M., my division still in the advance; crossed the Ulcofauhatchie River, struck the Georgia Railroad at Social Cir

« PreviousContinue »