Page images



NEAR SAVANNAH, GA., December 24, 1864.
Captain J. R. Lindsay, A. A. A. General, Se-
cond Brigade, First Division, Twentieth Army

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report, as the part taken by this regiment in this campaign.

Wisconsin volunteers, and all government property taken account of. Remained here until the morning of the twenty-fourth November, when the march was resumed. Crossed the Oconee River, camping for the night near Hebron PostOffice, having travelled fifteen miles.

November 25th.-Marched ten miles. Camped six (6) miles from Sandersville.

On the twenty-sixth, moved at six A.M.; had proceeded but about two miles when skirmishing On the second of September, 1864, this regi- was heard ahead. The enemy was soon driven ment entered Atlanta as part of a reconnoi- back and we passed on to Sandersville. Having tring party sent from division headquarters under passed through the village, this regiment was command of Colonel N. M. Crane. After passing formed in line of battle on the right of the Second through the city, we took position in the rebel Massachusetts volunteers. Advanced but a short breastworks fronting toward Decatur. Remain- distance when the halt was sounded; returned ed in camp until the morning of the fifth of Sep-to the village and resumed the march on another tember, when orders were received for this regi- road. Crossed the Macon and Savannah Railroad ment to report to Colonel A. Beckwith, Chief at Station No. Thirteen. Proceeded down the Commissary of Subsistence, in the city, for duty. track about one mile, and destroyed the track for Remained on duty in the city, guarding subsist- some distance. Went into camp near the station. ence and quartermaster's stores, until ordered to Resumed the march on the twenty-seventh injoin the brigade on the fifteenth of November, stant, at six_a.M. Marched fifteen miles, and preparatory to this campaign. camped near Davisboro.

Joined the brigade and marched to Stone Mountain, and camped near Sheffield at twelve midnight. On the seventeenth, marched twenty miles, and camped for the night near Social Circle.

November 28th.-Moved out on the railroad at six A.M. Followed the track for two days, destroying both ties and rails.

On the thirtieth, left the railroad, moving up the Ogeechee River on the south side until near Louisville, where we crossed the river and joined our train.

December 1st. - Broke camp at eight A.M. Found the roads very bad, running through an almost impassable swamp. Camped at midnight ten miles from where we started.

On the eighteenth, marched twenty miles. Sent out two companies (D and K) foraging, by direction from brigade headquarters, under command of Captain George W. Reid, with instructions to keep near the road and bring the stores gathered up to the road to be loaded into wagons; but not returning, we afterward learned that Reid's company, comprising twenty-seven enlisted ed men, and sixteen men belonging to company D, had been captured near Social Circle. The whole number captured, including the Captain, was forty-four men. Camped near Madison on the eighteenth.

On the nineteenth, broke camp at six A.M., and resumed the march, passing through Madison about noon. Camped at four P.M., six miles east of Madison.

November 20th. — Broke camp at nine A.M. Marched eighteen miles. Camped at nine P.M., four miles north of Eatonton. Rained quite hard during the night.

December 2d.-Broke camp at six A.M. Campat eleven P.M., in the woods.

December 3d.-Resumed the march at eight A.M. Reached the Milan and Augusta Railroad about noon. Camped near Milan.

December 4th.-Broke camp at daylight, and marched fifteen miles, and went into camp.

Remained in camp December fifth until six P.M., waiting for the wagon-trains to pass. Moved two miles, and camped.

December 6th.-Resumed the march, guarding the rear of the trains. Made a distance of twelve miles, and camped.

December 7th.-Broke camp at seven A. M. Marched thirteen miles. Roads very bad. Rainduring most of the forenoon. Camped at nine P.M.

December 8th.-Resumed the march at seven A.M. Passed through Springfield at nine A.M. Marched nine (9) miles, and camped.

Resumed the march on the twenty-first, ated seven A.M. Found the roads very heavy, and in some places almost impassable. Rained very hard during the forenoon. Passed through Eatonton about eleven (11) A.M. Camped for the night about twelve (12) miles from Milledgeville. November 22d.-Found the air clear and cold, ground frozen. This regiment, with the brigade, moved in advance of the train, and came up to the capital of Georgia about three P.M. This regiment, with the Third Wisconsin volunteers, was ordered to enter the city. We met with no opposition. Marched to the square about the Capitol, and camped. Guards were at once stationed about all public works, arsenal, armory, etc., under direction of Colonel Hawley, Third

December 9th.-Broke camp at nine A.M., and marched at ten. At two P.M. reached Monteith Swamp, where we found the First brigade skirmishing with the enemy. Halted for dinner. At three (3) P.M., moved to the right of the road, and formed line of battle in a swamp, where the water was knee-deep. This regiment went into position on the left of the Third Wisconsin volunteers, and on the right of the One Hundred and Fiftieth New-York volunteers. Moved forward, and soon our skirmishers were engaged, and un

covered a redoubt where the enemy opened on us with artillery. The line halted, when, soon after, the First brigade opened on the redoubt from the opposite side, and the enemy left their works and retreated in haste, taking with them, however, their artillery.

Our line moved forward and halted near the redoubt, and camped for the night.

December 10th.-Resumed the march at halfpast six A. M. Crossed the Savannah and Charleston Railroad at Monteith Station. Halted and destroyed the track for some distance, when orders came to move on. Camped at two P.M., four miles from Savannah.

December 11th.-This regiment, with the Second Massachusetts, was ordered out on a reconnoissance. Did not proceed far before we found the enemy in strong works. Returned to camp at eleven A.M.

December 12th.-Moved into line of battle on the left of the Second Massachusetts volunteers, and on the right of the Thirteenth New-Jersey volunteers, where breastworks were erected.

December 13th, 14th, and 15th.-Remained in camp without any change.

December 23d.-Received orders to go into camp and erect comfortable quarters. I am, Captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant, A. N. SILL, Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding.



SIR In compliance with circulars from brigade and division headquarters, dated December twenty-third, 1864, I have the honor to submit the following report.

September 2.-On this day, Atlanta was occupied by our forces. The One Hundred and Fiftieth regiment was placed in the rebel defences of the city, near the Decatur road.

September 3.-Quarters erected by the men. September 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.-Remained in same position.

September 11.-Moved camp three hundred yards to the rear, and erected comfortable, neat, and uniform quarters.

September 12 to 17, inclusive.-Remained in same camp, having drills, roll-calls, guard-mount, and dress-parade daily.

September 18.-This regiment paraded for review with the division, but the review was pre

September 19.-Raised a flag-pole, and run up our garrison flag.

December 16th.-Broke camp at six A.M. Marched to the Savannah River and crossed to Argyle Island with the brigade, a distance of four miles, where we camped and remained without accident until the nineteenth, when this regiment changed position and occupied the camp of the Thirteenth New-Jersey volunteers, but at two (2) P.M. cross-vented by rain. ed the east branch of the river to South-Carolina to join the brigade. This regiment was divided, and four companies ordered to report to Colonel Cogswell, Second Massachusetts volunteers, and two companies to report to Colonel Hawley, Third Wisconsin volunteers, and two companies were left to guard the landing. Five companies (A, E, G, H, and I,) were moved upon by the enemy, and the enemy were repulsed, when the five companies were ordered back by Colonel Hawley, and took position in rear, and fortified. Two men only were slightly wounded.

December 20th.-Were joined by the remaining companies, and lay in works all day.

December 21st.-Received news that Savannah was occupied by our troops. Orders were received at eight A.M. to recross the river. This regiment moved down to the landing, but was returned to the support of the line. Remained in works until two (2) P.M., during which time the enemy made movements in front as if to attack, but nothing occurred but slight skirmishing. At two (2) P.M., we were again ordered to retire to the river. Recrossed safely to Argyle Island,

and remained during the night.

December 22d.-Remained in works on the island, unable to recross the west branch of the river on account of the strong wind. About twelve M., the enemy moved down to the river and annoyed the troops by sharp-shooters. We had one man severely wounded in the leg.

Crossed to the Georgia shore at four P.M., and marched to within one mile of Savannah. Went into camp at ten P.M.

September 20.-The regiment took part in the review of the division by Major-General Slocum. September 21 to October 3.-The regiment remained in same camp.

October 4.-Moved at six o'clock P.M. into the rebel defences of the city of Atlanta, on the Marietta road; the One Hundred and Fiftieth regiment on the right of the brigade. Very large details of from eighty to one hundred men from the regiment worked daily on the interior line of defences of the city.

October 9 to 10, inclusive.-Remained in same position.

October 11.-Marched, at five o'clock A.M., on a foraging expedition to Flat Rock, a distance of sixteen miles.

October 12.-Crossed the Flat Rock Shoals, turned to the right four miles, and helped load two hundred wagons with corn.

October 13 and 14.-Filled balance of wagons, one hundred and twenty-five in number, and returned with the train of five hundred loaded wagons to within six miles of Atlanta, where we halted at four o'clock A.M. of the fourteenth; continued the march at half-past eleven A.M., and arrived in Atlanta at two o'clock P.M.

October 15 to 21, inclusive.-Remained in the same camp.

October 22.-Marched with the balance of the brigade, at four P.M., on road to Flat Rock Shoals, to cover the return of a foraging train of eight hundred wagons, threatened by rebel cavalry.

Went in light marching order, and arrived at Flat Rock Shoals at eleven o'clock P.M., having marched eighteen miles.

October 23.-Marched at six A.M., on road to Lithonia; thence to Decatur, covering the left flank of the train, having marched twenty-four miles.

November 22.-Marched at six o'clock A.M.; crossed Little River on pontoon-bridge; reached Milledgeville at one P.M., and went into camp east of the city, across the river, having marched thirteen miles.

November 23.-Remained in same camp. Collected forage in large quantities. Picked up and At-turned in four large serviceable mules, forty bushels of sweet potatoes, two thousand pounds fresh pork, two hundred pounds bacon, sixty gallons molasses or syrup, one hundred pounds meal.

October 24.-Returned to our old camp in lanta, on Marietta road, a distance of eight miles. October 25 to November 4, inclusive.-Remained in same camp.

November 5.-Marched, at three o'clock P.M., on McDonough road, three miles, and halted for the night.

November 6.-At twelve M., marched back to original position.

November 7 and 8.-Remained in same camp. November 9.-Marched, at ten A.M., on a reconnoissance to Turner's Ferry, on the Chattahoochee River; thence across to Sandtown road, and back to the city at seven P.M., having marched about twenty miles.

November 10, 11, and 12.-Remained in same


November 13.-Marched, at two P.M., about three miles toward the river on the railroad, and tore up one mile of railroad, burning the ties, and bending the rails, and returned to old camp at nine P.M.

November 14.-Remained in same camp. November 15.-Marched, at half-past five A.M., toward Decatur. Made Stone Mountain, a distance of sixteen miles.

November 16.-Ready to march at half-past six A.M., and marched at four P.M., a distance of eight miles, and got into camp on the east side of the Yellow River.

November 17.-Marched at eight A.M.; difficult roads; made seventeen miles, and halted at Rock Bridge at twelve midnight.

November 18.-Marched at eight o'clock A.M., guarding and assisting sixty wagons over all bad places in the roads. Passed through Social Circle and Rutledge, and encamped four miles from Madison; marched nineteen miles. Sent out two companies foraging; procured one thousand five hundred and thirty pounds of fresh pork, and ten sheep, and six head of fat cattle, average weight, dressed, three hundred pounds a head; aggregate, one thousand eight hundred pounds; and forty-two bushels of sweet potatoes; about sixty-four gallons of syrup. The cattle were turned over to the Brigade Commissary.

November 19.-Started at seven A.M. Roads very heavy. Helped sixty wagons through. Passed through Madison; made nine miles, and got into camp at three P.M.

November 20.-Marched sixteen miles, over bad roads, toward Eatonton, and encamped. Rainy day.

November 21.-Marched at seven o'clock A.M. Roads very bad, built one hundred rods of corduroy road of rails at the side of the road, and helped one hundred and twenty wagons over them. Advanced nine miles, and encamped late in the night.

November 24.-Marched at half-past six A.M.; advanced fifteen miles, to within two miles of Hebron, and encamped at dusk. Fifty bushels of sweet potatoes procured for the regiment, and one thousand pounds fresh pork.

November 25.-Marched at half-past six A.M.; advanced ten miles, and found a bridge destroyed six miles from Sandersville. Halted for the night. Some skirmishing in front with rebel cavalry.


November 26.-Marched at six A.M.; crossed a creek and through a bad swamp, and moved rapidly toward Sandersville. Heard brisk firing in front; formed line of battle; One Hundred and Fiftieth regiment on left of the road. vanced in line half a mile, then by the flank to within half a mile of the town; then formed line, and supported the skirmish line through the town in line of battle. At twelve м. moved south to Tennille, having marched ten miles. Destroyed half a mile of railroad, burning the ties and bending the rails, and went into camp at Tennille.

November 27.-Marched, at seven o'clock A. M., along the south side of the railroad, by a circuitous route, and reached Davisboro Station at dusk, having marched eighteen miles.

Also burned

November 28.-Marched, at six A.M., to tear up railroad. Destroyed three miles of railroad, burning ties, and twisting rails. one thousand new railroad ties. Made eleven miles. Procured one thousand pounds fresh meat and twenty bushels of sweet potatoes. Reached Spears Station at dark. Captured and turned over to Brigade Commissary seventeen head of cattle; average weight, three hundred pounds.

November 29.-Marched at half-past six A.M. Tore up and destroyed one and a half miles of railroad; burned a large quantity of framed bridge timber, and got into camp at seven P.M.; then reported to General Jackson, and went on picket with the regiment, holding the road on

which we were to advance. Made eleven miles this day.

November 30.-Marched, at nine o'clock A.M., up the Ogeechee River to Blake's Plantation, crossed on a repaired bridge; marched three miles, and encamped on a high plain, near our wagon-train, and not far from Louisville, having

marched eleven miles.

December 1.-Marched at eight o'clock A.M.; made thirteen miles. Procured forty bushels

sweet potatoes and four hundred pounds fresh most commendable alacrity and promptness. pork. Marched about eight miles.

December 2.-Marched at seven o'clock A.M. Guarded ninety wagons, and made eleven


December 10.-Marched at six o'clock A.M., the One Hundred and Fiftieth regiment in advance of the corps. Advanced three miles to the Savannah and Charleston Railroad, and at eight December 3.-Marched at half-past six A.M. Passed the pen where the rebels kept our pri-vanced again at nine A.M., to within four miles of A.M. commenced tearing up the railroad. Adsoners. Made sixteen miles toward Sylvania. Obtained an abundance of sweet potatoes and Savannah, and formed line of battle, and sent out pork, (about forty bushels sweet potatoes and the right wing of One Hundred and Fiftieth one thousand pounds fresh pork,) and turned regiment as skirmishers, and established the into Brigade Commissary twenty-four head of picket-line. Captain Gildersleeve, with his comcattle; average weight, two hundred and seven-pany, went out foraging, and came upon the ty-five pounds, dressed; one hundred pounds They took thirteen prisoners, one of them a conrebel despatch-boat Ida; captured and burned it. sugar, and sixty gallons of molasses. federate colonel, Clynch by name.

December 4.-Marched at six A.M. Crossed Little Ogeechee River. Made fifteen miles. Foraging party from brigade, under command of Captain Cogswell, procured three wagon loads of sweet potatoes, one hundred and fifty pounds bacon, and seventeen head of cattle; average weight, dressed, two hundred and fifty pounds. December 5.-Ready to march at daylight. Marched at seven o'clock P.M. Passed a very bad swamp, made two miles, and went into camp at one o'clock in the night. The men procured forty bushels of sweet potatoes and six hundred pounds fresh meat.

December 6.-Marched at nine A.M. Made twelve miles; some bad swamps passed; got into camp at dark. Men supplied themselves with sweet potatoes, forty bushels, and four hundred pounds fresh pork.

December 7.-Marched at seven A.M. Very bad roads. Helped fifty wagons through the swamp, and took out of the road a large number of felled trees. Went into camp near Springfield, having marched eleven miles.

December 8.-Marched at seven o'clock A.M., leaving wagons and pack-mules at Springfield. Made ten miles south-west and south-east, gaining but little. Regiment procured plenty of sweet potatoes, forty bushels, and two hundred pounds of pork. Men had all to march with wet feet; roads bad, swamps flooding them.

December 9.-Marched at eight A.M. Halted at ten A.M. Roads obstructed by fallen trees, and a rebel gun playing down the road, through the swamp. Passed with the brigade around to the right of the road, through a bad swamp. The One Hundred and Fiftieth was at first ordered, and deployed in third line of battle in a rice-swamp, covered with water from one to three feet deep; then ordered to the left of the first line, adjoining the Third Wisconsin; then or dered further to the left, through an almost impenetrable swamp and thicket, to give room between the One Hundred and Fiftieth and Third Wisconsin for the One Hundred and Seventh regiment New-York volunteers. This regiment halted in this line; but seeing the other regiments advancing and the rebels running away, advanced to the fort. The men and officers executed all orders in this difficult manoeuvre with

December 11.-Remained in same position.
December 12.-Advanced the line five hundred

yards, and erected breastworks; the One Hun-
dred and Fiftieth on the right of the brigade, next
the road.

December 13, 14, and 15.-Remained in same position. Men very destitute of food. Rice and fresh meat, the only articles, and ten pounds of rice to one hundred men.

December 16.-Moved at six o'clock A.M. up the river, about nine miles; crossed over the river to Argyle Island, near the south end of the island. The soldiers procured plenty of unhulled rice, and pounding it out, supplied themselves bountifully. Crossed the river in scows.

December 17 and 18.--Remained in same posi


December 19.-Relieved the Third Wisconsin regiment in the works on the island at daylight, and crossed to the South-Carolina shore at three o'clock P.M., to support the balance of the brigade. Sent out two companies on picket. The rebel gunboat shelled us vigorously, and killed one man on the island.

December 20.-The line was extended to the right by a reconnoissance, in which three companies of the One Hundred and Fiftieth were engaged, to a creek opposite Savannah. Established line and threw up rifle-pits or breastworks, and retired, losing only one man killed.


December 21.-Received orders at seven o'clock to cross the river, as Savannah was ours. menced recrossing to Argyle Island; the One Hundred and Fiftieth crossed first, and then took position on the extreme south-easterly point of the island, to cover the crossing of the balance of the brigade. The rebels pressed our rear-guard, and companies C and I, of the One Hundred and Fiftieth, opened fire upon them with good effect, checking their advance, and enabling the rear of the brigade to cross safely. The wind was very high, rendering the boats unmanageable, and the day was consumed in crossing to Argyle Island. Our noble Colonel, who had returned but two days before, and assumed command of his regiment, was severely wounded in this skirmish. The country can ill afford to lose the services, even for a time, of one so devoted to his regiment, and so competent, faithful, and energetic in the

[merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][subsumed][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]

discharge of every duty. The regiment crossed
to the south side of Argyle Island, and remained
on the dyke all night, awaiting an opportunity to


December 22.-Commenced crossing the river in small boats at nine A.M., by crossing to the sand-bar and walking across it, and thence to the main shore. The regiment was all over the river at twelve M. Marched at four o'clock to Savannah, and encamped about two miles out of the city, near the Savannah River, second regiment from the left of our brigade.

As an approximate estimate of the amount of provisions secured on this march by the One Hundred and Fiftieth regiment, I would say two pounds potatoes per day per man, from November eighteenth to and including December eighth, twenty days; gross amount of potatoes, 20,200 pounds; fresh meat, aside from issue, 15,000 pounds; syrup, 640 gallons; honey, 300 pounds; bacon and salt meat, 3000 pounds; salt, 500 pounds; sugar, 1000 pounds; flour, 1000 pounds; corn meal, 1000 pounds. Forage for public and private horses and mules: corn, 11,340 pounds; fodder, 13,860 pounds.

There have been, as above stated, forty-seven head of cattle captured by the regiment, and turned over to the brigade commissary, the net weight of which would be about fourteen thousand pounds.

[ocr errors]

MAJOR FRED. H. HARRIS'S REPORT. HEADQUARTERS THIRTEENTH NEW-JERSEY VOLUNTEERS, NEAR SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 24, 1884. Captain J. R. Lindsay, Acting Assistant Adju tant-General, Second Brigade, First Division, Twentieth Army Corps:

SIR: In accordance with circular from brigade headquarters, of December twenty-third, and ac companying instructions from division headquar ters, I have the honor of making the following report of operations of the Thirteenth regiment, New-Jersey volunteers, from the occupation of Atlanta to the present date.

September 2-Entered Atlanta at eight P.M., and went into the enemy's works on the east of the city, to the left of and near the Georgia Railroad.

October 5.-Regiment moved about two miles to the left of the Atlantic and Western Railroad, and encamped near the large post on the Marietta road.

October 9.-Moved about two miles further to the left, and encamped near the Sandtown rom? October 11.-Marched off on Decatur r a south-easterly direction; afterward to right, on road to Flat Rock, 1 P.M., near South River, a distr October 12.-Crossed Mill, Flat Rock, De Ka" easterly five miles where the regi gathering cor the train d to enca South

Casualties from September second to Decem-
ber twenty-second inclusive: Privates, Thomas
Benham, Co. A, taken prisoner October thir-
teenth; William Adlum, Co. B, taken prisoner
October thirteenth; William Hoerhold, Co. B,
committed suicide October twentieth; Thomas
Duffy, Co. C, taken prisoner October twenty-f
third; sergeant Edward Tuttle, Co. A, accident-
ally shot in hand November ninth; privat
Gilbert Shaw, Co. B, taken prisoner Nove
eighteenth; John H. Stroker, Co. B, tak
soner November eighteenth; George Sny
taken prisoner November eighteenth; Fi
Dewy, Co. C, taken prisoner November
second; William H. Foster, Co. G, taken pris
November twenty-second; Augustus Kuhfu
Co. G, taken prisoner November twenty-second;
Albert W. Townsend, Co. G, taken prisoner No-
vember twenty-second; Simon Aigner, Co. G,
taken prisoner November twenty-second; Philip to Au
Bowman, Co. F, taken prisoner December fifth;
Sergeant Isaac T. Sweezy, Co. I, severe wound McDonou
in leg, December thirteenth; privates, Horatio and encampe
Showerman, Co. F, stunned by solid shot Decem-
ber eleventh; William Palmatier, Co. C, killed
December twentieth; Noah Wixon, Co. H, killed
December twentieth; Colonel John H. Ketcham,
severe wound in left leg December twenty-first.
One officer wounded, and three enlisted men;
three enlisted men killed, and twelve enlisted
men captured. The conduct of the men and offi-
cers of this regiment in this campaign, deserves
highest commendation.

most respectfully, your obedient servant,
Major Commanding Regiment.

November 6.
November 9
charges of artil
division, Twent
and increased, w
A.M. Regiment fo
companies to our iet.
and right of the Secon
sin volunteers came up to
nine A.M. firing ceased, said
an attack of some one thousa
alry. At ten A.M., received or
once on Marietta road, in light m

« PreviousContinue »