Page images


December 30, 1864.

CAPTAIN: In compliance with circular dated headquarters First division, Fourteenth army corps, December twenty-ninth, 1864, I have the honor to submit the following report:

report of the operations of this command from the fall of Atlanta up to and embracing the fall of Savannah, Georgia.

After the fall of Atlanta, the brigade went into camp at Whitehall, near Atlanta, and was en

gaged during the time we remained there doing regular garrison and picket-duty.

October third, 1864, the brigade, composed of Number miles railroad destroyed, 5; number the Twenty-first, Sixty-ninth, and Seventy-fourth cotton-gins destroyed, 5; cotton destroyed, 300 bales or 150,000 pounds; number horses cap. Pennsylvania, under command of Colonel H. A. Ohio, Thirty-eighth Indiana, and Seventy-ninth tured, 50 head; number mules captured, 60 head; Hambright, Seventy-ninth Pennsylvania, was ornumber cattle captured, 250 head; number negroes that followed the column, 40; number dered to march with the division to the rear, as the rebel army was threatening our line of compounds corn captured, 62,000; number pounds munications. rice captured, 18,000; number pounds oats cap-north side of Chattahoochee River; fourth and Camped night of the third on tured, 14,000; number pounds fodder captured, fifth, marched to Marietta and camped near Kene13,084; number pounds hay captured, 5133. From the organization of the brigade up to the saw Mountain, where we remained until the fall of Savannah, the men were issued five (5) evening of the eighth. The Seventy-ninth Penndays' rations. The rest of the time they sub-sylvania was ordered to report to Captain Swift,

sisted off the country.

The Second brigade was organized November sixteenth, 1864, at Atlanta, Georgia, and assigned to the First division, Fourteenth army corps, with which it marched to this place, a distance of two hundred and ninety-three miles, passing in its route through Decatur, Lithonia, Congers, Covington, Sandersville, Louisville, Milledgeville, and striking the railroad again at Lumpkins Station.


I have the honor, Captain, to be obedient
Lieutenant-Colonel Sixty-ninth Ohio Commanding.

Captain and A. A. A. G., First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps.


SAVANNAH, GA., Jan. 6, 1865.

CAPTAIN: In compliance with orders, I have the honor to submit the following report of casualties occurring in this brigade since October third, 1864:

[blocks in formation]

Superintendent of Repairs on Railroad, the morning of October seventh, and did not again report October eighth, marched within a short distance of Ackworth, where we remained until the evening of the tenth, when we started for Kingston, arriving there the eleventh, and from there went to Rome the twelfth. The evening of the thirteenth we again resumed the march, arriving at Resaca the fourteenth.

to the command until November thirteenth.

October fifteenth, marched to foot of Rocky Face Ridge, and sixteenth crossed over the ridge into Snake Creek Gap and Taylor's Ridge into the Chattooga Valley, marching down the valley through Summerville, and went into camp at Galesville, Alabama, where we remained until the twenty-fourth, when orders were received to scout through the mountains in direction of Coosaville and Dirttown after a band of guerrillas under one Gatewood; and after scouting through the country mentioned, and finding no enemy, returned to camp the twenty-seventh. October twenty-eighth and twenty-ninth, marched to Rome, where the brigade was paid off. November first, the Thirteenth Michigan veteran volunteer infantry was temporarily assigned to the brigade. November second, marched to Kingston, where we remained until November twelfth, when orders were received to march in direction of Atlanta. Near Big Shanty the brigade was 8 engaged several hours destroying railroad. At 4 Marietta, the thirteenth of November, the Seventy-ninth Pennsylvania veteran volunteer infantry rejoined the command. Arrived at Atlanta the fifteenth. Here the Sixty-ninth Ohio and Thirteenth Michigan veteran volunteer infantry were taken from the brigade and ordered to the Second brigade, First division, Fourteenth army corps. Drew clothing and equipped the unarmed men of the command.





















Lieut.-Colonel Sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Command'g.

Captain and A. A. A, G.

December 31, 1864.

November sixteenth, left Atlanta, marching on the Augusta road, and camped at Lithonia Station, on the Augusta and Atlanta Railroad. Seventeenth, marched through Conyer's Station, and was engaged several hours destroying rail

SIR: In compliance with orders received, dated headquarters First division, Fourteenth army corps, Savannah, Georgia, December twentyninth, 1864, I beg leave to make the following road.

November eighteenth, Colonel H. A. Hambright being unfit for duty on account of sickness, Lieutenant-Colonel D. Miles took command of the brigade. November eighteenth to twentythird, marched to Milledgeville, capital of the


November twenty-fourth to twenty-seventh, marched to Davisboro Station, on the Macon and Savannah Railroad. November twenty-eighth, marched to Louisville. November thirtieth, marched to Sebastopol, on the Macon and Savannah Railroad. December first to third, marched to Lumpton Station, on the Savannah and Augusta Railroad.

December fourth, part of the day the brigade was engaged destroying railroad; was rear-guard to the wagon-train, and skirmished with a small body of cavalry who were hovering in the rear, but with no result.

December fifth to eighth, marched to Ebenezer Swamp, where we formed line of battle to protect the train while crossing the swamp, and at midnight marched two miles and camped on east side of the swamp. December ninth, resumed the march, but coming upon a small party of the enemy posted in a small fort protected with artillery, went in line for the night.

December tenth, the enemy fell back during the night, and we resumed our march until the evening of the eleventh, when we took up our position in line in front of Savannah, relieving part of the Seventeenth army corps. Here we remained until the twenty-first, during which time nothing of note occurred save regular skirmishing, which was kept up between the pickets, but with no loss whatever on our part.

December twenty-first, the enemy disappearing from our front, the brigade was ordered forward to discover the whereabouts of the enemy if possible; but meeting with no opposition whatever, marched into the city at eight A.M., and, pursuant to orders, returned to our old position, where we remained during the night. December twenty-second, marched forward and went into camp on west side of the city.

During the time mentioned in this report the brigade destroyed about fourteen (14) miles of railroad. No cotton or cotton-gins were destroyed. Twenty-two (22) horses, sixty-four (64) mules, and two hundred (200) cattle were captured by the command. Sixty-nine (69) negroes followed the column. From the time we left Lithonia until our arrival at Savannah, nearly enough forage was gathered by the command to supply them independent of the issues of the Commissary.

The loss in the command during the time mentioned in this report is as follows: One (1) man wounded; six (6) men either killed or captured by the enemy; ten (10) men captured by the enemy.

I am, Captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant, D. MILES, Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding Brigade.

To Captain G. W. SMITH,

A. A. A. G., First Division, Fourteenth Army Corps.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]


Report of Operations of Battery C, First Illinois Artillery, from the fall of Atlanta up to the present time.

HEADQUARTERS BATTERY C, FIRST ILLINOIS ARTILLERY, NEAR SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 30, 1864. CAPTAIN: In obedience to circular received, I have the honor to submit the following report: While in camp near Atlanta, Georgia, I received orders on the second of October to prepare to march next morning with thirteen days' rations and three days' forage, and to report to Brigadier-General Carlin, commanding First division. I joined the division as directed, and marched with it throughout the entire campaign north of Atlanta, returning to that point on the fifteenth of November, 1864. During the campaign I drew about sixteen days' full rations and fifteen days' forage; the remainder of the forage and subsistence I obtained from the country along the line of march.

After remaining in Atlanta, Georgia, one night, I again joined the First division, Fourteenth army corps, (in obedience to orders,) with three days' rations and three days' forage, and marched with it to a point near Savannah, Georgia, where I took up position in line of battle on the twelfth of December. Was engaged lightly by the enemy's batteries on the twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth, nineteenth, and twentieth, during which time I expended (283) two hundred and eighty-three rounds of ammunition, without any loss except one wheel belonging to a gun-carriage. On the twenty-second, I moved into camp near the city

of Savannah, Georgia, the enemy having evacuated the night before. During the march from Atlanta I drew three days' full rations and one day's forage; the remainder of forage and subsistence I obtained along the line of march.

During the entire campaign the officers and men of the battery performed their duty well in every respect.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

First Lieutenant Command'g Battery C, First Illinois Artillery.

Report of killed, wounded, and missing in battery C, First Illinois artillery, since the fall of Atlanta, Georgia: Killed, none; wounded, none; missing, (3) three-one sergeant and two privates taken prisoners near Kingston, Georgia, on the seventh of November, 1864.

First Lieutenant Commanding Battery.

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, January 6, 1865. Report of Animals Captured on the late Campaign from Atlanta to Savannah, Georgia, by the First Division Fourteenth Army Corps.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors]

evening, and the Second and Third brigades and battery on the twenty-ninth, arriving at Chattanooga at half-past three P.M. on the thirtieth; by direct orders from Major-General Thomas, left Chattanooga by rail October first, at half-past five A. M., for Stevenson, Alabama, and by subsequent order to Huntsville, arriving there at eight P.M. The track had been destroyed about twelve miles from Stevenson, and again about (4) four miles this side of Huntsville.

October second, left Huntsville at half-past five P.M., by rail, for Athens; about four miles from Huntsville, found the track badly torn up; by heavy details, and working all night, (raining hard,) was ready to move by day-light to within two miles of Athens, when the track had been again destroyed, and bridge burned; marched from this point to Athens, here I found that the enemy had left the day previous; the gallant little garrison having replied that they were there to fight and not to surrender.

October fourth, left Athens at daylight (leaving the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth and part of the One Hundred and Tenth Illinois infantry to guard supply train which was to follow the command) and inarched to Rogersville, fording Elk River, raining very hard, distance eighteen miles. October fifth, left camps at daylight, (rained hard all night and during the early part of the day,) fording First, Second, and Blue Water Creeks, bivouacked at Shoal Creek, two brigades (First and Third) crossing to the west side, and the Second and battery remaining on the east. Four companies of the Sixth Tennessee cavalry, under the command of Major, having reported to me for duty by order of Brigadier-General R. S. Granger, were ordered well out on the Florence road in advance of my infantry pickets; during the night they were driven in, and some sharp picket-firing took place. At daylight on the sixth, the Sixteenth Illinois infantry were ordered to Bainbridge, on the Tennessee River,

COLONEL: In compliance with circular from Corps Headquarters, dated December twenty-one and a half miles distant. The cavalry were eighth, 1864, I have the honor of submitting the following report of the operations of my division from the fall of Atlanta to that of Savannah.

September third, my division was in position at Jonesboro, remaining there until the seventh, when the First and Second brigades broke camps and moved to White Hall, (the Third brigade having previously moved to Atlanta with prisoners and the wounded of the division ;) arrived at White Hall on the ninth, and established camps there; distance marched, (20) twenty miles; remained in this camp until the twenty eighth. During this time, the officers of the command were busily engaged in bringing up back reports, reclothing the men, and preparing the command for another campaign.

September twenty-eighth, received orders from corps headquarters to be prepared to move with my command by rail to Chattanooga with four days' rations in haversacks, not to break up camps, leaving in it all convalescent men, train, camp, and garrison equipage. In compliance with this order, the First brigade embarked same

ordered forward on the Florence road; they were soon driven back by a largely superior force, (reported to be two regiments cavalry, Forrest's command.) The First brigade had already been ordered forward, the Sixtieth Illinois deployed as skirmishers, who drove the enemy steadily beyond Florence. Here I obtained the first certain information about Forrest. He had crossed the Tennessee with his command at Florence and at Bride's Ferry, (on the fifth,) ten miles below, leaving these two regiments as rear-guard. Deeming it useless for infantry to pursue cavalry, and my order not warranting me in advancing beyond Shoal Creek, that portion of my command that was at Florence was ordered to return, arriving at Shoal Creek (marching fourteen miles) just after dark.

October seventh, in obedience to orders from Major-General Rousseau, moved with whole command to Florence, (seven miles,) remaining there during eighth and ninth.

October tenth, by command of General Rousseau, commenced my return; moved at daylight,


and bivouacked at Second Creek, making nineteen miles.

October eleventh, marched at daylight, bivouacking at Spring Creek, fording Elk River; seven

teen miles.

there during the ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth.

November thirteenth, marched at daylight to Ackworth, thirteen miles, destroying the railroad from the Etowah River to Allatoona Creek, eight

October twelfth, moved at seven A.M., bivouack-miles. ing at Athens; One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Illinois joined its command, not being able to cross Elk River, it not being fordable. During the day and night the railroad bridge was finished and track repaired to Athens.

October thirteenth, transportation having arrived, the First brigade left at ten A.M., Second and Third brigades and battery at three P.M., arriving at Chattanooga at ten P.M. on the fourteenth, and reported to General Schofield by direct order of General Thomas.

November fourteenth, marched at daylight, passing to the right of Kenesaw Mountains, and bivouacked at Nickojack Creek, twenty miles. November fifteenth, moved at daylight to Atlanta, (12) twelve miles.

November sixteenth, left Atlanta at eleven A.M., passing through Decatur, and bivouacking at Snapfinger Creek, marching ten miles.

November seventeenth, moved at seven A.M. through Lithonia to Couzens, seventeen miles, and destroying five miles of railroad.

To show more fully the object of the movement November eighteenth, marched at daylight, of my division, I transmit herewith orders and crossing Yellow River by Covington, to Ulcafoutelegrams from Major-Generals Thomas and Rous-hatchie River, fifteen miles, destroying three seau, marked A to miles railroad.

also my

report by telegraph numbered from 1 to October fifteenth, sixteenth, and seventeenth, remained at Chattanooga.

October eighteenth, in compliance with orders from General Schofield, moved at seven A.M., bivouacked at Lee and Gordon's Mills, marching (12) twelve miles.

October nineteenth, moved at eight A.M., marching thirteen miles, bivouacking at La Fayette. October twentieth, moved at six A.M., marched thirteen miles, bivouacking near Enthittaga Springs or Chattooga River.

October twenty-first, moved at six A.M., and marching sixteen miles, bivouacking at Dougherty plantation on Broomtown Valley road.

October twenty-second, moved at six A.M., marching eight miles, bivouacked at Gaylesville, and in accordance with orders from General Schofield, reported to corps headquarters and joined the First and Third divisions, thus closing a short but active campaign. My thanks are due and cheerfully awarded to my command, for energy and good conduct and good nature. Starting without tents or a single wagon, almost without a change of clothing, raining almost constantly for the first week, fording rivers and deep creeks, many of the men barefooted, was certainly trying, but all these disadvantages were met with a cheerfulness and promptness that were admirable.

October twenty-fourth, twenty-fifth, twentysixth, and twenty-seventh, remained at Gaylesville.

October twenty-eighth, at two P.M., crossed the Chattooga River and moved out on the Rome road, marching eight miles, and bivouacked at State Pine.

October twenty-ninth, marched to Rome, sixteen miles, remaining there the thirtieth and thirty-first.

November first, marched to Kingston, sixteen miles, remaining there the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh.

November eighth, left camp at seven A.M., and marched to Cartersville, eleven miles, remaining

November nineteenth, marched at daylight, passing through Newburn, to Shadydale, nineteen miles.

November twentieth, left camp at seven A.M., marching to Etonton Factory or Little River, (15) fifteen miles.

November twenty-first, marched at daylight, crossing Mud Creek, and camping at Cedar Creek, marching eighteen miles. November twentysecond, in camp.

November twenty-third, moved at daylight, and camped near Milledgeville, fifteen miles.

November twenty-fourth, left camp at ten A.M., passing through Milledgeville and crossing the Oconee River, and camping at Town Creek, nine miles.

November twenty-fifth, moved at daylight, crossing Buffalo Creek, and camping at Cagy Creek, marching twelve miles. Twenty-sixth, moved at daylight for Sandersville; about four miles west of that place, my foragers were met by Wheeler's cavalry, who were disposed to resist their advance. The foragers were soon formed and deployed as skirmishers, and steadily drove the enemy to and through Sandersville, never checking the advance of the column. As a precautionary measure, the One Hundred and Thirteenth Ohio, (Captain Jones commanding,) of the Second brigade, were deployed as skirmishers on the left of the road. One division of the Twen tieth corps entered the town simultaneously with my own.

Twenty-seventh, marched at seven A.M., crossing the Ogeechee River, camping at Ferm's Bridge, Hudson's plantation, marching sixteen miles. Twenty-eighth, left camp at daylight, crossing Rocky Comfort Creek, camping at Louisville, nine miles, remaining there during the twentyninth and thirtieth. While at Louisville, six wagons under charge of Lieutenant Coe, Acting Assistant Quartermaster, were attacked just outside of picket-line by Wheeler's cavalry, and four wagons captured, the remaining two escaping within the lines, followed by the enemy. Cap

tain Dumphrey with company, Tenth Michi- deployed as skirmishers on the right and left of gan infantry, waited coolly their approach; the road, and one piece of the battery ordered when within close range fired, killing one lieu-forward; this piece was soon in position and tenant, two privates, and wounding two, one opened fire, which was spiritedly answered by mortally, promptly charging, recaptured the four some well-directed shots. Lieutenant Coe, comwagons. The Captain is a cool, gallant soldier, manding battery, was struck by a shell and inand commands brave men. Reports being made stantly killed-a brave, good officer. By order that there was a large body of Wheeler's cavalry subsequently received from Corps Commander, in my front, Lieutenant-Colonel Pierce, com- the First and Third brigades were placed in posimanding the Second brigade, was ordered for- tion. During the night the works in our front ward. The enemy did not wait for a close ap- were abandoned. proach of deployed infantry, but made a rapid December tenth, left camp at eight A.M.; marchretreat. Lieutenant-Colonel Langly, commanding ing four miles, found the Twentieth corps moving Third brigade, with two regiments of his com-upon our road; went into camp. mand, had previously driven a party of cavalry December eleventh, received orders to relieve from his front on the Alabama road, killing a Seventeenth corps. Left camp at eight A. M., marchcaptain and one private. I had no farther trou-ing seven miles; went into position on the right ble with Wheeler's command.

December first, leaving my train in compliance with orders from corps headquarters, marched at half-past ten A.M. on Waynesboro road to Baker's Creek, ten miles.

December second, left camp at eight A.M., marching ten miles, camped near Buckhead Creek.

December third, left camp at nine A.M., crossing Buckhead and Rock Creeks, camping near railroad, ten miles.

December fourth, moved at half-past six, my division in the advance with its own and Third division trains, crossing railroad at Lumpkins Station, passing through the town of Habersham to Smith's plantation, marching sixteen miles. December fifth, moved at daylight, camping at Buck Creek P. O., having marched sixteen miles. December sixth, moved at half-past six A.M., crossing Buck and Black Creeks, camping after a march of eighteen miles. Road badly obstructed by fallen trees; removed them during the night. December seventh, left camp at half-past six A.M., and marching fifteen miles, camped at plantation, twenty-six miles from Savannah. Road badly obstructed by fallen trees, but by heavy details removed them, causing but little delay. The bridge at Ebenezer Creek having been destroyed two miles in our front, Colonel's Buell's command went actively to work to construct a

new one.

December eighth, the bridge having been completed, left camp at ten A.M., crossing Ebenezer Creek, marched to Little Ebenezer Creek, where, after a delay of several hours for completion of pontoons, moved forward to Cyler's Creek; just after going into camps, received orders from General Davis to return to Little Ebenezer to protect the train of the corps, an attack being apprehended; returned, and the Second and Third brigades, recrossing the creek, bivouacked for the night, having marched (10) ten miles.

December ninth, left camp at seven A.M., marching eight miles, (and constructing three bridges.) At Doctor Cuyler's plantation, about fourteen and a half miles from Savannah, my advance came within range and fire of a rebel battery. Two regiments of the Third brigade were at once


of the Milledgeville road, remaining in this position until the twenty-second. During this time steady approaches were being made to within three hundred yards of the enemy's works. On the night of the twentieth, succeeded in getting two guns in fine position. Just before daylight my skirmishers entered the abandoned works of the enemy.

Thus closing a brilliant and successful campaign. With a few exceptions, all have faithfully performed their duties. To Lieutenant-Colonel Pearce, commanding Second brigade, (in the absence of Colonel Mitchell,) and Lieutenant-Colonel Langly, commanding Third brigade, (in the absence of Colonel Dilworth,) I am under obligations for their promptness in executing all orders. They are good officers and ought to be promoted. My staff-officers are deserving of all praise; constant and active attention to duty; and I again, as in my former reports, recommend them for promotion, having from long and faithful service earned it.

I close this report with stating: First. That since the fall of Atlanta my division has marched (560) five hundred and sixty miles, (and by railroad (406) four hundred and six.)

Second. Captured (189) one hundred and eighty-nine horses, (586) five hundred and eighty-six mules, (6) six jacks, and (1) jenny, four hundred and eighteen head of cattle in addition to the number used during the campaign.

Third. (17) Seventeen miles of railroad destroyed.

Fourth. But (3) three rations of bread and (2) two of salt meat were issued to my command from Atlanta to Savannah, the men always having an abundant supply furnished by forage details.

Fifth. The mules of my trains, and artillery horses, were in much finer condition at the end than at the commencement of the campaign.

Sixth. No cotton-gins, cotton, or other property destroyed by my order.

Casualties: eight killed, sixteen wounded, fifty-
seven missing-total, eighty-one.
All of which is respectfully submitted,
Brigadier-General, Commanding Second Division.

« PreviousContinue »