Page images

December 4.-The central column marched to Wilson's Creek, the left reached Station No. 5, having continued the destruction of the railroad up to that point.

The right proceeded as far as Statisborough. Hazen's division leading, encountered a small body of the enemy's cavalry, said to be four hundred strong, and had a successful skirmish with them. The road being boggy, he was obliged to corderoy several long stretches during the day.

killed and two or three wounded. This brigade then formed a junction with General Woods's brigade, from Wright's Bridge, at Eden Station.

General Hazen's division moved on to Black Creek, sending forward Colonel Oliver's brigade to the Cannoucher. The rest of the corps were encamped near Jenks's Bridge. The Seventeenth corps encamped in the vicinity of Station No. 3, ceasing to destroy the railroad after leaving Ogeechee Church.

December 8.-By the map there appeared to be December 5.-The two columns of the Fifa road between the Big and Little Ogeechee Rivers. teenth corps moved along their respective roads to a position nearly opposite Station No. 3.

I was with the central column, and hearing that some resistance was offered to General Blair, near Ogeechee Church, I caused a feint of crossing the Ogeechee to be made at Flat Ford. Some men were thrown over in boats, but no bridge was laid. General Sherman detained General Blair near Station No. 4 for the left wing to come up.

December 6.-Reconnoissances were made toward Wright's Bridge and the bridge at Eden Station (Jenks's Bridge) with a view to saving them, if possible.

Colonel Williamson's brigade of General Woods's division reached the former in time to save much of the timber, but all the planking and several of the trestles were already burned. He, however, constructed a foot-bridge and crossed over a small force which he pushed forward toward the railroad.

A small detachment went as far as the TwentyMile Station and returned, skirmishing all the way. This brigade skirmished considerably with the enemy near night.

Colonel Oliver's brigade, of Hazen's division, made the reconnnoissance to Jenks's Bridge, but found the bridge destroyed. I sent an officer, Lieutenant Harney, with a select party to strike the Gulf Railroad, but he found the bridge across the Cannoucher burned and the approaches were guarded by rebels, so that he was compelled to return without doing the work. Another party also sent to try for a point higher up the Cannoucher for the same purpose, was not yet heard from.

As the enemy was reported in some force near the Twelve-Mile post, having a line of works in his front, I resolved to turn his position by sending two divisions of the Fifteenth corps down the west bank of the Ogeechee, which were to force a crossing of the Cannoucher, and sent forward sufficient force to break the Gulf Railroad, and secure, if possible, King's Bridge, over the Ogeechee, about a mile above the railroad, also to reconnoitre with one division between the Ogeechee rivers. The movement on the right bank led; General Osterhaus in person conducted it with his First and Second divisions.

I accompanied General Corse, who found a good ridge road on the left bank of the Big Ogeechee. We came upon some carefully constructed works some three miles and a half from Station No. 2, but they were abandoned.

The road was obstructed with trees at several points, but the obstructions were so quickly removed by the pioneers that the column did not halt. On reaching the Savannah Canal, we found the canal bridge burned. A new one was made in less than half an hour. The Ogeechee bridge, near the canal's mouth, called Dillen's Ferry, a mile and a half above, I found practicable for a pontoon-bridge.

General Corse sent forward a reconnoissance which found the enemy in force at the junction of this road with the King's Bridge and Savannah road. General Osterhaus effected a crossing of the Cannoucher with a couple of brigades, as directed.

The Seventeenth corps meanwhile moved up abreast of Station No. 2, having much corduroying to do and many obstructions to clear away.

December 7-My command moved as follows: After reaching the canal, I returned to the Stathe First division, General Woods, remained at tion No. 2, and communicated with General SherWright's Bridge, except one brigade of infantry, man in person. He was glad of the results of that crossed the foot-bridge and marched down the reconnoissance, but directed me to allow Genthe east bank of the Ogeechee toward Eden Sta-eral Blair to continue on the Louisville road. tion.

On the arrival of the pontoon at Jenks's Bridge. the Chief-Engineer, Captain C. B. Reese, finding the enemy on the other bank, threw over a regiment of Colonel Oliver's brigade and cleared the way. The bridge was immediately laid. General Corse's division had arrived by this time; one brigade, General Rice commanding, crossed over, met the enemy's skirmishers some five hundred yards beyond, drove them in, and routed a battalion of rebels behind rail-piles in a very handsome manner, capturing seventeen prisoners, and killing and wounding several more. We lost two

The next day, December ninth, the Seventeenth corps came upon the enemy in rifle-pits, three and a half miles from Station No. 2. General Blair drove the rebels from them, but soon came upon an intrenched line with guns in position.

At this place the road led through a swamp densely covered with wood and undergrowth, peculiar to this region. The swamp was apparently impassable, yet General Blair moved three lines of battle, preceded by a skirmish-line, along on the right and left of the road for some two or three miles, occasionally in water knee-deep. Ile drove the enemy from every position where he


made a stand, and encamped for the night near vicinity, and, if practicable, to take the Fort. the Station No. 1. General Sherman himself subsequently modified The Fifteenth corps marched as follows: the these directions, ordering Kilpatrick not to asdetached brigades succeeded in reaching the Sa-sault the works. General Hazen, of the Fifteenth vannah and Gulf Railroad at different points, and corps, was directed to hold his division in readidestroying it. ness to cross King's Bridge the moment it was completed, and take Fort McAllister.

The Third division, General John E. Smith, closed upon General Corse at the canal. As soon as he was within supporting distance, General Corse moved forward toward Savannah. He encountered about six hundred rebel infantry with two pieces of artillery near the Cross-Roads. His advanced brigade quickly dislodged them, capturing one piece of artillery and several prisoners. He followed them up across the Little Ogeechee, and by my direction, took up a strong position about twelve miles from Savannah, sent a detachment which broke the Gulf Railroad. His advance crossed the Little Ogeechee, and halted about eight miles from the city. King's Bridge had been burned by the rebels. All the enemy's force was withdrawn from Osterhaus's front in the morning, except the independent garrison at Fort McAllister, situated on the right bank and near the mouth of the Ogeechee.

During the day that section of the pontoonbridge which had been with General Blair's column, was sent to Dillen's Ferry, near Fort Argyle, and laid across the Ogeechee, thus substantially uniting my two right columns.

December 10.-The entire command closed in on the enemy's works which covered Savannah. General Osterhaus with the right column, consisting of General Corse's division, followed by General Hazen on the King's Bridge road, the central column, consisting of General John E. Smith's division, followed by General Woods, and the left, General Blair's corps, Major-General Mower's division in advance. These several columns struck the enemy's line simultaneously with the left wing of the army. The nature of the country was such as to render the approaches to that front extremely difficult. By means of the canal and the Little Ogeechee River he was able to flood the country; besides the great portion of the front was marshy with a deep stream winding through it under the cover of numerous batteries of the enemy. Pursuant to Special Field Order No. 130, from your headquarters, the army of the Tennessee simply gained ground to the right.

With regard to opening communication with the fleet, the Engineer Department under direction of Captain C. B. Reese, Chief-Engineer, was instructed to rebuild King's Bridge, which was effected by the morning of the thirteenth.

The work was a remarkable one, being completed in about two days' time, considering that there was little left of the old bridge, except the posts. This bridge measured a thousand feet in length.

The General-in-Chief, in the above order, had directed General Kilpatrick to aid me in opening communication with the fleet. I therefore sent him across the pontoon-bridges, near Fort Argyle, to reconnoitre Fort McAllister and the inlets in that

General Kilpatrick made his reconnoissance on the twelfth, drove in the outposts at McAllister, and reported the Fort defended by a garrison of some two hundred men with several heavy guns, bearing on the land approaches.

The morning of the thirteenth, I accompanied General Sherman to Doctor Cheves's Rice-Mill, where we had McAllister full in view. At the rice-mill a section of De Grase's battery was firing occasionally at the Fort opposite, three miles and a half distant, as a diversion, having for its principal object, however, to attract the attention of the fleet.

During the day we watched the Fort and the bay, endeavoring to catch glimpses of the division moving upon the work, and of vessels belonging to the fleet.

About mid-day the rebel artillery at McAllister opened inland firing occasionally from three or four different guns, and by our glasses we could observe Hazen's skirmishers firing on the Fort; about the same time a movable smoke, like that from a steamer, attracted our attention near the mouth of the Ogeechee.

Signal communication was established with General Hazen, who gave us notice that he had invested the Fort, and also that he observed the steamer.

General Sherman signalled him from the top of the old Rice-Mill, that it was important to carry the Fort by assault to-day.

The steamer had now approached near enough to draw the fire of the Fort, when her signal-flag was descried. Captain McClintock, aided by Lieutenant Sampson, Signal Officers, speedily communicated with the vessel, which proved to be a tug, sent by General Foster and Admiral Dahlgren, for the purpose of communicating with us.

Just as the signal officer of the steamer inquired if McAllister was ours, we noticed a brisker fire at the Fort, and our flags and men passing the abattis, through the ditch and over the parapet, and then we saw the men fire upward in the air, and could distinctly hear their cheer of triumph as they took posession of the Fort. It was a gallant assault. General Hazen lost in killed and wounded about ninety men. Of the garrison, between forty and fifty killed and wounded, and the rest captured. There were twenty-two guns of various descriptions, and a large quantity of ammunition captured in the Fort.

That night I accompanied General Sherman in a small boat on a visit to General Hazen, to the Fort, and thence down the river to the steamer. Here we learned that Captain Duncan and the two scouts that I had sent down the Ogeechee, on arriving at the Savannah Canal, had succeeded in passing all obstructions, and reached the fleet, and communicated with Admiral Dahlgren. Until

now I had been uncertain as to the fate of the party.

the entire campaign. To Major-General Blair, commanding Seventeenth corps, I feel specially indebted for his hearty coöperation at all times, and for his successful accomplishment of the work allotted to his command.

I here name again the division commanders, Major-General J. A. Mower, Brigadier-Genera! Woods, Brigadier-General John E. Smith, Bri. gadier-General Leggett, Brigadier-General W. B. Hazen, Brigadier-General J. M. Corse, BrigadierGeneral Giles A. Smith.

After the General had written several des patches, we returned to General Hazen's quarters, feeling that our expedition had been completely successful, our supplies sure, and the possession of Savannah not far distant. It having been intimated that our future plans would be modified by specific instructions from the Commander-inChief, General Sherman and his officers became anxious to crown our success by the capture of Savannah. In order to accomplish this, every exertion was made; heavy guns were brought from Hilton Head and McAllister, and placed in position; the lines were worked up closer to the enemy along the dikes; good batteries constructed for small guns, and every part of the front of General Osterhaus and General Blair thoroughly reconnoitred; light bridges were constructed and fascines made so as to span the streams and fill up the ditches; in brief, every possible pre-ers and to other officers and soldiers of this army paration was made to assault the enemy's works. The same was the case along General Slocum's front.

Two, at least, of my division commanders felt perfectly confident of success, in case the assault should be made.

While these preparations were going on, the General-in-Chief, having demanded the surrender of Savannah on the eighteenth instant, and having been refused, had gone to the fleet, in order to secure cooperation from the Admiral and General Foster, in the contemplated attack. He left directions to get ready, but not to strike till his


The morning of the twenty-first, about sunrise, Brigadier-General Leggett reported, that the enemy had evacuated his front. Soon the same report came from General Slocum, and from other officers. General Slocum moved at once and took possession of Savannah, the enemy having withdrawn to the South-Carolina shore. He had abandoned heavy guns in all the works on my front, in town, and at the different forts on the


Until now, our depot had been at King's Bridge, where the army had built a good wharf, and corduroyed the main road thereto from our front, for the most of the way. Besides, the railroad between the Ogeechee and the Altamaha was completely destroyed, Brigadier-General Hazen, having the eastern, and Major-General Mower the western half. This work was completely done, as directed in Special Field Orders No. 133, from your headquarters. I have only attempted to touch upon the work really accomplished by the right wing of the army, and have purposely abstained from discussing the contemplated objects of the campaign. The former is best told in the accompanying statistical record, and the latter are already evinced in the growing confidence of our army in a speedy and complete suc


I wish to acknowledge my obligations to MajorGeneral Osterhaus, commanding Fifteenth corps, for his great activity and energy displayed during VOL. IX.-Doc. 2

I cannot express too high commendation of these officers, who have worked vigorously early and late without flagging, to keep their command in order to accomplish the marches, to bridge creeks and rivers, to fight battles, destroy railroads, in short, who were ready without question or hesitation to set on foot and carry through the varied labors given into their charge.

I wish further to tender to brigade command

something of the deep sense of obligation I feel toward them, and commend them to the Commander-in-Chief, and through him to the country, for cheerfulness, for constancy, for ability, and for distinguished gallantry. Much praise is due Lieutenant-Colonel William Tweedale, for the aid he afforded the Chief-Engineer in building wagon and foot-bridges across the rivers that we met.

I tender my thanks to Admiral Dahlgren and Major-General Foster for their courtesy, and the assistance they rendered me in the operations near Savannah.

I wish to bring before the Commander-in-Chief the names of my staff, who so materially gave me assistance during the campaign. LieutenantColonel William E. Strong, Assistant InspectorGeneral and Chief of Staff, ever afforded me the most cheerful and ready assistance. He always accompanied one or the other of the columns en route, and used every exertion to have my orders carried out to the letter and spirit. Captain S. L. Taggart, Assistant Adjutant-General, aided by Captain W. Bedford, were never too weary to issue clear and distinct orders after the day's march, and otherwise constantly afforded me aid in bearing despatches.

Captain C. B. Reese, Chief-Engineer, with the assistance of Lieutenant Stickney, have always received my warm commendations for their untiring activity, both in engineering and topograhical duty. He collated information with regard to different roads, furnished me good maps, when needed, and superintended the laying of pontoons, and the rebuilding of bridges over rivers and creeks in our route.

Major T. W. Osborne, Chief of Artillery, aided by Major M. Woodhull, Assistant AdjutantGeneral, and Lieutenant W. N. Taylor, A.D.C., were constant in their exertions to mobilize the artillery, and keep the animals and materials in perfect order. Major Osborne always ably assisted me in using the artillery on the field, and I always found him and his officers able and hearty coöperators, frequently giving me material aid not connected with that special department.

Whenever an opportunity has afforded, our batteries have been located, intrenched, and handled in the most skilful manner. Quite brisk artillery duels transpired after our investment of Savannah, where my attention was particularly called to the artillery of the command, and when I have had occasion to admire the skill and bravery of its officers and men.

Major E. Whittlesey, Judge-Advocate of the department, has afforded me substantial aid by carefully revising all the courts-martial and records of military commissions, beside doing ably other important duties connected with different departments of the service.

Captain D. H. Buell, Chief of Ordnance, receives my commendations for his carefulness in regulating the ordnance supplies in such manner as to occasion me no trouble or anxiety.

Commissary of Subsistence, has shown himself remarkably efficient, and has often received my special thanks.

Captain E. H. Kirlin, Chief of Scouts, has carefully reconnoitred the country, through Captain William Duncan and the other scouts, and kept me well advised of the movements of the enemy.

Lieutenant J. A. Gladen has cherfully aided me, writing at my dictation, bearing despatches, and keeping important records.

My recommendations for the promotion of general and staff officers have already been forwarded, and will be found separate, in duplicate, accompanying this report.

The General-in-Chief has been enabled, under a providential care not to be mistaken, to conduct our noble army, thus far, to results that one year ago seemed scarcely possible of attainment.


Captain E. P. Pearson, Jr., Commissary of Musters, assisted me heartily, in various ways, during the campaign, and always has performed He has secured our complete confidence, and the duties of his department with fidelity and therefore it may not be improper for me to exthe clearest apprehension of its requirements. press the faith that it is our mission, under his My Chief Quartermaster, Colonel J. T. Conk-direction, to give the finishing blow to this hated lin, has performed cheerfully all the duties devolving upon him, omitting no exertion to secure animals and forage as needed. My Chief Commissary, Lieutenant-Colonel David Remick, has anticipated the wants of the command, and regulated the supply in such manner that no real want has been felt by any soldier of this army during our lengthy campaign. I commend him for cheerfulness, fidelity, and ability in discharging the duties of his department.

Captain D. W. Whittle, Assistant ProvostMarshal General, receives my hearty approbation for his activity in discharging the public duties of his department; for his careful record and disposition of prisoners, and for his unremitting attention to the comfort and interest of myself and staff, while acting in his capacity of Commandant of Headquarters.

No department of this army has been better conducted on this campaign than the Medical. To Assistant-Surgeon D. L. Huntington, Acting Medical Director, is due great praise for his diligence and eminent success. To him and to Dr. Duncan, the staff surgeons, the officers and soldiers at headquarters of the army are indebted for all the medical aid they require.

Major C. H. Howard, Senior Aid-de-Camp, is commended for his diligence in causing my orders to be executed; in bearing despatches by perilous and distant routes; and for affording me the sympathy and moral support of one who identifies himself completely with the interests

of the service.

Captain W. M. Beebe, Acting Aid-de-Camp, receives my thanks for his generous assistance, being ever anxious to undergo any risk or perform a gallant action.

Captain F. W. Gilbreth, Aid-de-Camp, is always at the post of duty, and has spared no pains to carry my orders promptly, and see them executed.

Lieutenant E. Blake, Staff Quartermaster and

Please find accompanying this, a statistical record for the campaigns. Respectfully, 0. O. HOWARD,


Statistical Report of property captured and de-
stroyed, negroes freed, and prisoners captured
by the Army of the Tennessee, during the re-
cent campaigns in Northern and Central Geor-
gia, from October 4 to December 31, 1864.
Negroes set free, (estimated number.).......
Commissioned officers,..
Enlisted men,...
By Seventeenth army corps-
Commissioned officers,
Enlisted men,..
Total prisoners captured,.
Escaped Federal prisoners-

Prisoners captured.-By Fifteenth army corps,


Commissioned officers,..
Enlisted men,..

of cotton burned,

Ocmulgee Mills, 1500.










[blocks in formation]

large amount of cotton cloth burn-
ed, value not known.

Subsistence captured, namely, breadstuff, beef,

sugar, and coffee, at Government cost of ra-
tion in Louisville,...

Command started from Atlanta with head


Took up as captured,.
Consumed on the trip..
Balance on hand December 18, 1864,
Horses captured.--By the Fifteenth army corps,
By the Seventeenth army corps....

Mules captured.-By the Fifteenth army corps,

By the Seventeenth army corps,.

[blocks in formation]

1064 lbs. **2,00 1,000 4,500,000

Corn.-By the Fifteenth army corps,.... lbs. 2,500,000
By the Seventeenth army corps,
Fodder.By the Fifteenth army corps,... 2,500,000 lbs.

By the Seventeenth army corps,...
Miles of railroad destroyed,....

[ocr errors]


2,000,000 4,500,000 191

I have the honor to recommend for promotion to the rank of Major-Generals the following offi cers, namely:

Brigadier-General W. B. Hazen, commanding Second division Fifteenth army corps, for long and continued service of the highest character, and for special gallantry and success at Fort McAllister, December thirteenth, 1864.

Brigadier-General Charles R. Woods, commanding First division Fifteenth army corps, for long and continued service, and for special gallantry at Griswoldville, November twenty-second, 1864.

Brigadier-General John M. Corse, commanding Fourth division Fifteenth army corps, for long and continued service, and for special gallantry at Allatoona, October fifth, 1864.

Brigadier-General Giles A. Smith, commanding Fourth division Seventeenth army corps, for long and continued service, and for gallantry and completeness as an officer, during the Atlanta and Savannah campaigns.

Brigadier-General John E. Smith, commanding Third division Fifteenth army corps, for faithful and efficient service, and for gallantry in action. Brigadier-General M. D. Leggett, commanding Third division Seventeenth army corps, for long and continued service, and for gallantry and completeness as an officer, during the Atlanta and Savannah campaigns.

I recommend for the rank of Major-General, by brevet:

Brigadier-General C. C. Walcott, for special gallantry at the battle of Griswoldville, near Macon, November twenty-second, 1864.

Brigadier-General M. F. Force, for completeness as an officer, and for special gallantry at the battle of July twenty-second, 1864, before Atlanta.

I recommend the following officers for Brigadier-Generals:

Colonel J. M. Oliver, Fifteenth Michigan volunteer infantry, for long and faithful services, for special gallantry at Fort McAllister, December thirteenth, 1864.

Colonel R. K. Scott, Sixty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, for long and faithful service, for completeness as an officer, and for gallantry in the battles before Atlanta.

Colonel Theodore Jones, Thirtieth Ohio volunteer infantry, for faithful service during previous eampaigns, and for special gallantry at Fort McAllister, December thirteenth, 1864.

Colonel B. F. Potts, Thirty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, for long and faithful service, and completeness as an officer.

I recommend for Brevet Brigadier-Generals: Lieutenant-Colonel W. E. Strong, Twelfth Wisconsin, Department Inspector-General, for long and faithful service, and for special gallantry at the battle of Ezra Church, July twenty-eighth; also at the battle of Jonesboro, August thirtyfirst, 1864.

Colonel William R. Woods, Seventy-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry, for faithful and continued service, and completeness as an officer, during the Atlanta and Savannah campaigns.

Lieutenant-Colonel J. E. Tourtellotte, Ninetythird Illinois volunteer infantry, for faithful service, and for special gallantry at Allatoona, where he was severely wounded.

I recommend for promotion the following officers of my staff:

For Brevet Colonel: Major C. H. Howard, Senior Aid-de-Camp, for gallant and meritorious

conduct during the Atlanta and the Savannah campaigns.

For Brevet Colonel: Major T. W. Osborne, Chief of Artillery, for gallant and meritorious conduct during the Atlanta and the Savannah campaigns. For Brevet Colonel: Captain C. B. Reese, U.S. A., Chief Engineer, for remarkably efficient service during the campaigns of Atlanta and Savannah.

For Brevet Major: Captain D. H. Buell, U.S.A., Chief of Ordnance, for the faithful performance of duty in his department.

For Brevet Major: Captain E. P. Pearson, U.SA., Commissary of Musters, for the diligent performance of duty as Commissary of Musters, and for gallant and meritorious conduct during the campaigns of Atlanta and Savannah, and previous campaigns with the armies of the Potomac and Cumberland.

For Major and Assistant Adjutant-General : Captain Samuel L. Taggart, Assistant AdjutantGeneral, for faithfulness and efficiency as an Assistant Adjutant-General.

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, Jan. 9, 1865.


Captain L. M. Dayton, Aid-de-Camp: CAPTAIN: I have the honor of submitting the following report of operations of the Fourteenth and Twentieth corps during the recent campaign:

By virtue of special Field Orders No. 120, Headquarters Military Division of the Mississippi, November ninth, 1864, the army then in the field near Kingston and Atlanta, was divided into wings, the Fourteenth and Twentieth corps constituting the "left wing" of the army. Prior to this organization these corps had formed a part of the army of the Cumberland, under Major-General George H. Thomas; the Fourteenth under command of Brevet Major-General J. C. Davis, and the Twentieth corps under my command.

After the capture of Atlanta, the Twentieth corps occupied the city and the line of works constructed by the enemy, and was engaged in the construction of a new line of works, designed to enable a small garrison to hold the place. Heavy details were constantly employed in this work from October fifth to November first.

On the twenty-ninth of September, General Morgan's division of the Fourteenth corps moved by railroad to Chattanooga and Huntsville to protect our communications, which were then threatened by General Forrest. The other two divisions moved with the main army in its operations against the army under General Hood. On the twenty-fourth of October, General Morgan's division rejoined the corps at Gaylesville, Georgia. On the second of November, this corps was concentrated at Kingston, Georgia, where preparations were made for the campaign just closed. On the thirteenth of November, it was engaged in the destruction of the railroad from Etowah River to Big Shanty, and on the four

« PreviousContinue »