Page images

November twenty-second, where it remained until November twenty-fourth, then marched in the direction of Savannah via Louisville and Millen. Arrived outside the defences of Savannah on the tenth day of December, 1864, where it remained building and occupying breastworks until December twenty-first, when (the city having been evacuated) it went into camp about three quarters of a mile north-west of the city of Savannah, Georgia.

During the recent march, this regiment obtained from the country, upon estimation, as follows: Meat of various kinds, eleven thousand nine hundred pounds; flour, one thousand pounds; sweet potatoes, three hundred bushels; corn-meal, five hundred pounds, besides other vegetables of various kinds, of which I have no data upon which to estimate the amounts. The regiment (aside from two companies, which were detached with the train) captured, mules, The march was continued the first twenty-four eight; cattle, ten. From the companies de- hours with only a halt for dinner at Decatur. tached at the train, were detailed men whose On the third day we reached Social Circle, where special duties were to make captures of horses the brigade was directed to destroy the railroad, and mules, and the result of their labors in that and the regiment assisted in destroying it for some direction, will probably be obtained from Lieu-six miles; working from ten A.M. till dark, and tenant Tabor, Brigade Assistant Quartermaster, under whose direction they operated. The casualties in the regiment during the march from Atlanta were three men missing. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, E. H. POWERS, Lieutenant-Colonel Fifty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer fantry, Commanding.

division, during which time the regiment accompanied a foraging expedition which went out under command of Colonel Dustin, then in command of this division. A detailed report of that expedition will be made by Major Pardee, who was in command of the regiment at that time, and during the time of my absence. On the fifth November, the regiment moved with the division out of camp about two miles on the McDonough road, and encamped for the night, and on the following day was ordered back with the division and occupied its old camp. On the tenth November, I returned and assumed command of the regiment, which remained in camp until the fifteenth, when, at half-past seven A.M., it moved out on to the Decatur road with the left wing, army of Georgia, to take part in the campaign which has just terminated in the capture of Savannah.



then rejoined the division ten miles in advance. On the fourth day we reached Madison, where the regiment destroyed the switch-track and some two miles of the main road; working from nine A.M. till noon. The fifth day we reached Edenton; the seventh day, Milledgeville, where we reIn-mained in camp, resting one day. On the twen

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 24, 1864.
Captain C. H. Young, Acting Assistant Adju-

ty-sixth November we reached Sandersville, and the following day arrived at Davisboro; the twenty-ninth, we passed through Louisville, and on the second December encamped at night near Birdsville. December third, crossed the railroad near Millen, and on the eighth, passed through Springfield. On the tenth we encamped in line of battle within four miles of Savannah; the In obedience to requirements of circular from eleventh, we moved forward nearly a mile immebrigade headquarters, of date the twenty-third diately in front of the works of the enemy, and instant, I have the honor to submit the follow-built rifle-pits, where we remained under the fire ing report of the operations of this regiment of the artillery of the enemy till the morning of since the date of my last report made soon after the occupation of Atlanta, on the sixth of Sep


the twenty-first, when, in conjunction with the corps, we entered the city of Savannah without opposition, the enemy having evacuated it on the previous night.

Only one casualty occurred in the regiment while in front of the city. Lieutenant Henry Lewis, of company K, was severely wounded in the leg. Eight enlisted men fell out on the march on the first night, and have not since joined the regiment.

From this date to the fifth of November, the regiment remained in camp south of Atlanta, near the line of rebel works, and from the third of October to the last-named date, furnished nearly one half of the effective force of the regiment for fatigue and picket-duty; the fatigue-party having been engaged in building a new line of works about the city. On the fourteenth of When we left Atlanta, company F, of this September, two hundred and fifty men, with a regiment, under command of Captain Tarr, was proper proportion of officers and non-commis- detailed to report to Captain Sackett, Acting sioned officers, all under the charge of Captain Commissary Subsistence of this brigade, and Ezra Sprague, were sent to accompany Colonel La Due, Assistant Quartermaster of the corps, on a foraging expedition, and succeeded in loading one hundred and twenty-five wagons, having been absent two days.

From the twenty-fourth of September to the tenth of November, I was absent from the regiment in command of the Third brigade of this

was engaged in foraging under his directions till we reached the works in front of Savannah, when it was relieved and rejoined the regiment. Parties were detailed daily under the charge of a commissioned officer to forage for the regiment, and in this way the officers and men obtained nearly all the supplies required, including the rations in the hands of the men when leaving

tachments sent out from regiments, but is the actual or approximate amount which was received by the brigade commissaries, and by them issued to the troops. The commissaries of bri

Atlanta. The regiment has drawn during the campaign, as follows, namely: Six days' rations of salt meat, twelve of bread, twenty-one and a half of coffee, eleven of sugar, and eleven of salt. Thirty-five horses and mules were cap-gades do not report any subsistence stores taken tured and turned over to the Brigade Quartermaster during the march.

The following is a list of casualties since the date of last report: Commissioned officers killed, none; commissioned officer wounded, one-total, one; enlisted men killed, none; enlisted men wounded, none; enlisted men missing, nine-aggregate, ten. I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient PHILO B. BUCKINGHAM,


Lieutenant-Colonel Twentieth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, Commanding Regiment.


SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 27, 1864.
Captain Speed, Assistant Adjutant-General :
SIR: I have the honor to submit the following
statement of amount of subsistence stores with
which we started from Atlanta: The division
started from Atlanta with thirteen days' rations
of hard bread, and about twenty days' rations
of sugar and coffee, and about fifty days' rations
of salt. On hand, when division arrived at Sa-
vannah, about twenty-five days' rations of salt.
The period from the time of our starting from
Atlanta to our arrival at Savannah, should be
recorded from November fifteenth to December
twentieth, 1861, the latter date being that on
which we issued the first rations. Since the
twentieth instant we have received and issued
about three days' rations.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Captain and Commissary Subsistence, Volunteers.

OFFICE OF THE COMMISSARY OF SUBSISTENCE, THIRD DIVISION, TWENTIETH ARMY CORPS, SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 26, 1864. Captain John Speed, Assistant Adjutant-General, Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps: CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report the following amounts of subsistence stores taken on the march from Atlanta, Georgia, to Savannah, Georgia:

Thirty-eight thousand pounds of fresh pork, two thousand pounds of bacon, seven hundred head of cattle, seven hundred and seventy-five head of sheep, three thousand pounds of poultry, thirteen thousand pounds of corn-meal, five thousand three hundred pounds of flour, twelve thousand pounds of rice, eleven thousand four hundred and fifty bushels sweet potatoes, five thousand five hundred pounds of sugar, six hundred pounds of salt, one thousand nine hundred and twenty gallons sorghum syrup, five hundred pounds of honey.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Captain and Commissary Subsistence, Volunteers.
P. S.-This report does not include the sub-
sistence taken by straggling parties, or by de-

while at Atlanta, Georgia. L. G. STUART. Captain and Commissary Subsistence, Volunteers.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]



HEADQUARTERS ARTILLERY BRIGADE, TWENTIETH CORPS, SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 26, 1864. Lieutenant-Colonel H. W. Perkins, Assistant Adjutant-General, Twentieth Corps;

instant, two gunboats and a steam transport made their appearance above Captain Winegar's position, coming down the river.

Captain Winegar opened fire on them when about (2500) two thousand five hundred yards distant, to which the gunboats replied, using guns of heavy calibre. Captain Winegar succeeded in disabling the transport-steamer Resolute, compelling her to surrender. He then directed his

COLONEL I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the artillery brigade of this corps since the occupation of At-fire to the others, which soon turned back, and lanta.

With the rest of the corps the batteries entered the city of Atlanta on the (2d) second day of September, and were placed in the vacated works of the enemy on the east and south sides of the town, where they remained until about the twelfth instant, when they were withdrawn and camped together in the north-western part of the city.

Soon afterward, the artillery being in excess of the proportion to infantry, the batteries were reduced from six to four guns each, leaving but (24) twenty-four guns in the brigade instead of (36) thirty-six. This was, however, increased to (28) twenty-eight, by the assignment of battery K, Fifth U. S. artillery, Captain Bainbridge, with (4) four (20) twenty-pounder Parrott guns, to the corps.

During the occupation, several expeditions were sent out in the country for forage, a battery accompanying each; but meeting with but slight opposition, they were at neither time engaged. Previous to these expeditions being sent, and while our supplies were cut off, the horses of the batteries suffered terribly, many actually dying from starvation, and others being so reduced as to render them utterly unserviceable. Almost an entire new supply of horses had to be obtained.

A short time before leaving Atlanta, a still further reduction of the artillery was made. Battery K, Fifth U. S. artillery, Captain Bainbridge; battery I, First Michigan artillery, Captain Smith; and Thirteenth New-York independent battery, Captain Bundy, were relieved from duty with the corps and sent to Chattanooga, leaving but four batteries, (2) two twelve pounders and (2) two three-inch Rodman, of four guns each.

On the fifteenth day of November, the corps left Atlanta, the batteries being distributed through the column, marching in this manner until reaching the enemy's lines near Savanah. Meeting with but slight resistance on the march, the batteries did not fire a gun; but twice only a section was placed in position, the infantry then driving back the enemy until we reached their lines, about four miles from town, on the tenth of the present month.

On the eleventh, the two rifle-batteries were placed in position, battery E, Independent Pennsylvania artillery, Captain Sloan, near the left of our line, on the Savannah River, opposite the upper end of Hutchinson's Island. And battery I, First New-York artillery, Captain Winegar, opposite Argyle Island, about two miles above. At seven o'clock on the morning of the twelfth

[ocr errors]

although several shots were seen to strike the lower one, they continued up the river and out of sight.

On the same day, Captain Sloan fired a few shots at a steamer crossing the river below him, and also a few shots into the city.

On the sixteenth, one section of battery I, First New-York artillery, crossed the river to Argyle Island, and exchanged a few shots with a section of the enemy's on the Carolina shore.

During the night of the nineteenth, this section crossed to the Carolina shore with a brigade of infantry, under command of Colonel Carman. A few rounds were fired at small bodies of the enemy during the twentieth.

About three P.M., a gunboat came up from the city, and opened on the right of this force on the Carolina shore. Captain Sloan was directed to open on her from his position, and soon compelled her to withdraw.

During the nights of the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth, three field-works were constructed for heavy guns-one near the river, and two in front of the centre of General Geary's line. The last two were on the skirmish-line, and being within so short range of the enemy's musketry and artillery, the work could only be done during the night.

Quite a number of casualties occurred among the working parties, the enemy having correct range with their artillery, and using it freely at all times of the night.

Works were also made for the light batteries, it being the intention to place them all on the line, and open simultaneously previous to an assault.

(4) Four of the (6) six thirty-pounder Parrott guns were placed in the works during the night of the twentieth, and the other two were being put in, when it was found that the enemy had evacuated in our front, much to the chagrin of some of the artillery officers, who desired to test the accuracy and efficiency of these guns.

On reaching the city, the twenty-first instant, about ten A.M., the ram Savannah was discovered near the Carolina shore. Captain Sloan's battery, being in advance, took position on the lower end of Bay street, and opened fire on her. Some excellent shots were made, though with guns of that calibre (three-inch) it is not probable much damage was done to an iron-clad, as she was reported to be.

About half-past four P.M., Captain De Grass's battery of twenty-pounder Parrott guns took position and opened on her, firing with great accuracy. The thirty-pounder Parrott guns arriv

ing about sunset, also opened on her, but being so late in the day, with what effect could not be ascertained. It was intended that if she remained in sight to open again on her early the next morning, but during the night she was blown up.

Owing to the little use required of the artillery, there were no casualties in engagements.

Captain Gary and two men of battery C, First Ohio artillery, were captured on the twelfth instant on Hutchinson's Island, where they had gone to seek forage.

One enlisted man of battery E, Pennsylvania artillery, died of disease on the march near Madison. The admirable policy of having (8) eight horses on a carriage for a long march over bad roads was clearly demonstrated on this campaign.

The batteries subsisted mainly on the country during the march, securing principally their own supplies and forage.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors]

An exact account of the supplies and forage obtained cannot be given, but as near as can be 1 42-pdr carronade ascertained is as follows:

3 6-pdr

2 6-pdr
1 24-pdr


Right Cen. Ga. R.R. do. do. do.

do. do. do.

On Railroad.

Left of Cen. Ga. R.R.

200 yards from the main dirt road, right.

do. do. do. On the main dirt


Unserviceable In an advanced

[ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors]
[ocr errors]

brass Do. except 1

iron Unserviceable


[merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

Amount obtained from expeditions sent out from Atlanta: (46,000) Forty-six thousand pounds of corn, (3000) three thousand pounds 1 32-pdr smooth-bore fresh meat, (50) fifty bushels sweet potatoes. Amount obtained on the march from Atlanta to Savannah: (130,000) One hundred and thirty thousand pounds of corn, (20,000) twenty thou-142-pdr carronade 1 24-pdr smooth-bore sand pounds of rice-fodder, (10,000) ten thou1 24-pdr sand pounds fresh meat, (500) five hundred 1 32-pdr Blakely pounds of flour, (500) five hundred bushels sweet potatoes.

Making in the aggregate: (176,000) One hundred and seventy-six thousand pounds of corn, (20,000) twenty thousand pounds of rice-fodder, (13,000) thirteen thousand pounds of fresh meat, (500) five hundred pounds of flour, (550) five hundred and fifty bushels sweet potatoes. Animals captured: (40) Forty horses, (100) one hundred mules.

Also, (100,000) one hundred thousand pounds of cotton destroyed.

1 6-pdr rifled

3 32-pdr smooth-bore

2 10-inch columbiads

[ocr errors]

1 32-pdr rifled gun

[blocks in formation]

3 6-pdr rifled
1 24-pdr howitzer
1 42-pdr carronade
Shep-28-inch columbiads

4 82-pdr

The following amount of ordnance stores were destroyed at Milledgeville by Lieutenant herd, ordnance officer artillery brigade Twenti- 8 32-pdr smooth-bores eth corps: Three thousand five hundred rounds fixed ammunition for six-pounder and twelvepounder guns, twenty thousand rounds infantry ammunition, two boxes Sharp's primers, two thousand pounds of powder.

The number of guns found abandoned by the enemy in their works in front of the Twentieth corps line, extending from the Savannah River to the railroad, and from Fort Brown to Fort Jackson and Lawton battery on the Carolina side, beside those on the gunboats and ram destroyed, is (89) eighty-nine, a list of which I send herewith.

Beside these, a large number of light and heavy gun-carriages, caissons, battery-wagons, forges. Also a large amount of ammunition was left here by the enemy.

Respectfully submitted. J. A. REYNOLDS.
Major and Chief of Artillery Twentieth Corps.

1 32-pdr rifled
2 10-inch mortars
5 8-inch columblads
1 24-pdr howitzer
2 10-inch columbiads

5 32-pdr rifled guns
2 12-pdr Blakely
48-inch columbiads

3 6-pdr rifled guns
1_10-inch columbiad




On right of R.R.

do. do. do.

On left of R.R.

At the Town Arsenal.

do. do. do. Water-battery opposite Fort Jack


do. do. do.

do. do. do.

Lawton battery on

Carolina shore, opposite Fort Jackson.

do, do, do. do. do. do. do. do. do.

[ocr errors][ocr errors]

Fort Brown.

[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]
[merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small]
[blocks in formation]

occupied both by the enemy's artillery and infantry. One section of my battery under Lieutenant Scott was immediately thrown forward and put in position, with a range of about one thousand two hundred yards. The troops of the First division, Twentieth corps, were immediately deployed, and scattered the enemy without the use of artillery.

On the morning of the eleventh day of December, Major J. A. Reynolds again directed me to move my battery on the Savannah River, with the Twenty-second Wisconsin infantry as support, it being reported that the enemy's gunboats had made their appearance. On the morning of the twelfth day of December, about eight o'clock, the enemy's gunboats made their ap

CAPTAIN WINEGAR'S REPORTS. HEADQUARTERS BATTERY I, FIRST NEW-YORK LIGHT ARTILLERY, SAVANNAH, GA., Dec. 24, 1864. Lieutenant W. H. Mickle, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Artillery Brigade, Twen-pearance, which afterward proved to be the

tieth Army Corps:

Macon, armed with four sixty-four-pounder rifleguns and two thirty-two pounder howitzers, also the gunboat Samson, armed with two thirtytwo pounder howitzers, with their tender, (Resolute,) a small steamer. After an engagement of about three quarters of an hour, from two thousand four hundred to two thousand seven hundred yards, they were forced to retire up the river leaving their tender behind disabled, together with her officers and crew, numbering about thirty, our expenditure of ammunition being one hundred and thirty-eight rounds.

On the morning of December sixteenth, one section, under Lieutenant Scott, was thrown over the river on Argyle Island, and immediately intrench

LIEUTENANT: In compliance to circular from headquarters, Chief of Artillery, Twentieth corps, dated December twenty-third, 1864, I have the honor to submit the following: On the second day of September, 1864, the battery entered Atlanta, Georgia, and took position in the abandoned works of the enemy, remaining there until about the tenth day of September, when we moved in the south-eastern part of the city, and went into camp together with the artillery of the corps, where we remained until the morning of October twenty-first, when I was ordered to accompany a foraging expedition under Colonel Dustin, commanding Third division, Twentieth corps. Starting at daylight of the same day, and moving ined themselves. On the morning of the eighteenth the direction of Lithonia, a small station on the engaged a section of rebel artillery on SouthGeorgia Railroad, passing through the town of Carolina shore. After firing thirteen rounds, Decatur, at sundown we went into camp on a silenced their guns, at a distance of one thousand large plantation, formerly owned by Clark, and five hundred yards, with no casualties. On the known as Clark's plantation, about fifteen miles morning of the nineteenth, a regiment of rebel from Atlanta. Remaining here until the evening cavalry made their appearance about two thouof the twenty-third, we succeeded in loading sand two hundred yards' distance, on the Southabout nine hundred wagons with forage and pro- Carolina shore. After firing three rounds casevisions within a radius of five miles. About dark shot they withdrew out of range. During the the train was put in motion leading to Atlanta by day, Lieutenant Scott was relieved by Lieutenant Colonel Dustin, my battery acting as rear-guard Freeman, whom I gave command of the four threeas far as Decatur, where we arrived about four inch guns, having received from Lieutenant Shepo'clock A.M. On the morning of the twenty-perd a battery of six thirty-pounder Parrott guns, fourth, about seven o'clock A. M., we again started needing him to see that works were built prepafor Atlanta, acting as advance-guard, where we tory to moving the light battery in front of the arrived about ten o'clock A.M., went into camp enemy's works on Augusta road. During the in our old camping-ground, where we remained night Lieutenant Freeman was ordered by Colonel until the morning of November thirteenth, when Carman, commanding brigade, First division, we were ordered by Major J. A. Reynolds to re- Twentieth corps, to cross the river to the Southport to Brigadier-General Geary, commanding Carolina shore and report to Colonel Cogswell, Second division, Twentieth corps, as the enemy commanding Second Massachusetts infantry. were making demonstrations, both with artillery Went into position, built works, which were comand dismounted cavalry, on our lines around pleted late in the morning of the twentieth. Atlanta, but in both of the above expeditions ing the day the section was ordered by Colonel there was no expenditure of ammunition or any Cogswell to fire at different objects, using thirtycasualties in my command. two rounds ammunition, with no casualties. One section of the thirty-pounder battery, under Lieutenant Adle, was placed in position in Fort No. One, to reply to one of the rebel gunboats, which had been reported advancing up the river from Savannah. During the night of the twentieth, the remaining four guns of heavy battery were placed in position in Forts Nos. Two and Three. Early

On the morning of the fifteenth day of November Atlanta was evacuated by the Federal forces, my battery moving with the troops of the Twentieth corps in the direction of Savannah. When within about twelve miles from Savannah, on the afternoon of December ninth, we encountered two small redoubts on the Augusta dirt-road,


« PreviousContinue »