Page images
[ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small]

During the month of October, heavy details were made from the Second and Third brigades, for work upon the fortifications then being erected in and around the city of Atlanta. Lieutenant-Colonel Powers, of the Fifty-fifth Ohio, had charge of this working party, and the men performed a large amount of hard labor upon these works.

DANIEL DUSTIN, Colonel One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Volunteers, Commanding Second Brigade.

HEADQUARTERS THIRD DIVISION, TWENTIETH ARMY CORPS, ATLANTA, GA., October 24, 1864. SIR: I have the honor to report that the foraging expedition under my command moved from the city, as per order, at six A.M., on the twentyfirst instant. The troops consisted of the following:

During the month of October, four large foraging expeditions were sent out from Atlanta, by authority of the corps commander. For each of these expeditions the division furnished one brigade. The Third brigade accompanied the first expedition, which went out on the under the command of. Brigadier-General Geary, and returned on the fourth day. The Second brigade went with the second expedition, which started on the sixteenth, and was commanded by Colonel Robinson, of the First division, and also returned on the fourth day. The third expedition started on the twenty-first, and was under my command. The Third brigade formed a part of this expedition, together with the First Detachments of cavalry were also sent to the brigade, First division, Colonel Selfridge, and right, on the road to Flat Shoals, and to the left, the Second brigade, Second division, Colonel toward Stone Mountain, all converging at LatFlynn. This expedition returned on the morn-timer's, where we encamped for the first night. ing of the fourth day, with nine hundred and twenty-eight wagon-loads of forage, making a quicker trip and bringing in a larger amount of forage than any other expedition.

Attention is called to my special report of this expedition, a copy of which is herewith inclosed. The Second brigade, which, on account of the illness of Lieutenant-Colonel Bloodgood, was commanded by Major Brant, of the Eighty-fifth Indiana, was detailed to accompany the fourth and last expedition, under Brigadier-General Geary, which left Atlanta on the twenty-sixth, and returned on the fourth day.

On the twenty-second, some four hundred and fifty (450) wagons were loaded with corn in season to move back two and a half miles toward Decatur, to Snapfinger Creek, where we encamped for the second night. By noon of the twentythird, all the wagons were loaded, and the head of the column moved out on the return march, with the intention of parking in Decatur for the third night. Just at this time, Colonel Carman, with his brigade, reported, with communication from corps headquarters. Coming up in our rear, he moved his brigade to the head of the column, which occasioned some delay. The last of the train was parked at Decatur at half-past one o'clock at night.

All these expeditions were a complete success, and proved of great importance in the way of subsistence, considering the interruptions in our lines of communication. On the of September, the division was reviewed by Major-General Slocum, and, considering the long and tedious campaign just closed, and the difficulties of securing new clothing, the command presented a very creditable appearance, and was well spoken of by the reviewing officer. The transportation was well arranged, and in good condition.

The command moved from Decatur for Atlanta at seven A.M. of the twenty-fourth. No enemy was seen, excepting a few straggling cavalrymen, one of whom was captured. But one or two acts of unwarrantable pillaging were reported.

Four hundred wagons can be loaded with corn in the vicinity of Lattimer's. A considerable quantity is reported two or three miles north of Lithonia. The rapid manner in which the wagons were

First brigade, First division, Colonel Selfridge, one thousand men; Second brigade, Second division, Colonel Flynn, one thousand men; Third brigade, Third division, Lieutenant-Colonel Buckingham, eight hundred and eighty-eight men; cavalry, Colonel Garrard, four hundred men; total, three thousand two hundred and eighty-eight men.

Also, two batteries of artillery, Captain Winnegar.

The command moved direct to Decatur, where the train was parked for more complete organization. From Decatur we took the direct road to Lattimer's, with cavalry in advance.

loaded, and the quick return of the expedition, is to be ascribed, in a great measure, to the efficiency of the brigade commanders, and to the prompt and energetic personal attention which they gave to the work assigned to their commands.

Twentieth army corps, hospital, six; cavalry brigade, Captain Ketleman, seventy-five; department of the Cumberland, Lieutenant Pond, fifty; artillery brigade, Fourteenth army corps, Lieutenant Flusky, thirty-three; reserve artillery, Lieutenant Oslum, ten; post teams, (Captain Hade's,) no officer, twenty; Second division, Fourth army corps, Lieutenant Hatfield, twenty; General Thomas's headquarters, no officer, thirtythree; hospital department Twenty-third army corps, no officer, two; Lieutenant Lyon, Twentythird army corps, no officer, nine; First Missouri engineers, Lieutenant John Murphy, ten; Lieu

The wagon-train was a most unwieldy thing, and under so many untoward circumstances, the Quartermaster of the expedition, Captain Summers, deserves great credit for his untiring industry in the execution of his arduous duties, and for the success that attended his exertions. Lieutenant-Colonel Hurst, Seventy-third Ohio, deserves much commendation for the efficient and diligent performance of his difficult duties as field-tenant Erdman, department of Cumberland headofficer of the day for the expedition.

I respectfully suggest that, hereafter, these expeditions should not be encumbered with more than four hundred wagons, and that measures be taken to prevent an increase of this number by a thorough organization of the train on the day before starting.

Respectfully submitted.


Colonel Commanding Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps.

ATLANTA, GA., October 24, 1864.

Captain H. M. Whittlesey, Acting Chief
termaster Twentieth Army Corps:
SIR: As Quartermaster in charge of the recent
foraging expedition, I have the honor respectfully
to make the following report.

quarters, no officer, twenty-five; First Michigan engineers, Captain McCraith, eighteen; ordnance wagon, Third division, no officer, twelve; Captain A. E. Edwards, chief quartermaster, no officer, four; Captain Samuel Bonsale, Twentyfourth army corps, no officer, two; miscellaneous army wagons, (without permits,) one hundred and thirteen; ambulances of Second division, Twentieth army corps, Lieutenant Stevens, twenty-five; ambulances of headquarters and other commands, no officer, twenty-six; total, eight hundred and seventy-six.

On the morning of the twenty-second, those Quar-detachments of the train which had a permanent organization and officers in charge, (numbering over five hundred wagons,) were sent out in various directions, with full details of men for guarding and loading furnished by Colonel Dustin, and the trains returned during the same afternoon and evening, generally well filled with corn.

The trains started from Atlanta on the morning of the twenty-first, in considerable confusion, owing to the illness and absence of Captain Lacey, who had been selected to take charge of the train; and as I was unexpectedly called upon to fill his place, I could do no better than to take such general instructions and lists of wagons as were furnished to him and push forward the train, expecting to halt a few miles out of town, and, if possible, perfect an organization.

About one mile beyond Decatur, Colonel Dustin, in command of the expedition, halted, and an attempt was made to organize the train; but it was discovered that the number of wagons was so great, and the confusion was so complete, that the attempt to organize was abandoned until the halt for the night; and on the appearance of the cavalry command, the expedition moved forward to its destination.

On the same evening the train was parked, and the organization again attempted. On the examination of lists, permits, and reports, it was found that the following list of the wagons and officers present is as perfect as could be made:

On the same afternoon, by order of Colonel Dustin, the train started on its return home, and marched about three miles, when it was halted and parked, and the organization perfected as far as possible, by assigning officers to take charge of the consolidated miscellaneous wagons.

On the morning of the twenty-third, all the empty wagons (amounting to over three hundred) were sent out under the charge of officers designated, and during the afternoon they returned, nearly all the wagons being well filled with corn.

This completed our work, and the expedition again started on the return to Atlanta, marching as far as Decatur, where it arrived and encamped, quite late in the evening.

On the morning of the twenty-fourth, the expedition marched to Atlanta, and the various trains returned to their respective camps.

I have the pleasure of reporting that all the quartermasters and officers in charge of the trains, and assigned to such duty by me, (as far as my observation extended,) conducted the business assigned to them in an energetic and efficient manner, and appeared to fully and kindly appreciate the somewhat embarrassing circumstances under which I was placed, in being unexpectedly called to take charge of the unwieldy and extremely miscellaneous train.

First division, Twentieth army corps, ordnance and supply train, Lieutenant E. K. Carley, one hundred and four; Second division, Twentieth army corps, ordnance and supply train, Lieutenant William Sager, one hundred and twenty-six ; Third division, Twentieth army corps, ordnance and supply train, Lieutenant Faber, one hundred I desire particularly to express my obligations and seven; corps headquarters and artillery bri- to Lieutenant Pond, of the department of Cumgade, no officer, forty-four; Third division, Twen-berland, and Lieutenant Faber, of the Third ditieth army corps, hospital, two; Second division, vision, for valuable assistance.

I regret to be called upon to notice one case of inefficiency, on the part of the wagon-master in charge of Captain Hade's wagons. A portion of the teams in his charge were so late in reaching the corn-fields to which they were directed, that the wagons could not be filled in time to reach camp before the train was ordered to move on its return home.

of October, the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin volunteers was detached from the brigade to Colonel F. C. Smith, One Hundred and Second Illinois volunteers, commanding First brigade at the railroad bridge, across the Chattahoochee River, and rejoined the brigade at Atlanta on the fourteenth November. On the twenty-first October, the brigade formed part of a foraging_expedition, under command of Colonel David Dustin, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois volunteers, command

An actual and careful count of the wagons, ambulances, and other vehicles, made by my order, between Decatur and Atlanta, on the returning Third division, which penetrated the country

of the train, shows the following result:

Army wagons, eight hundred and twenty-five; ambulances, fifty-one; other vehicles, (one-horse wagons, carriages, etc.,) forty-eight; ox-teams, four; total, nine hundred and twenty-eight.

Nearly all the army wagons and ambulances were well filled with corn, averaging to the wagon about fifteen bushels (shelled) to the load, and about five (5) bushels to each ambulance; six hundred and seven thousand three hundred and eighty (607,380) pounds of corn!

Of course it will be apparent to the comprehension of every person, that such an immense train, with a large portion of it extremely disorganized, formed a most unwieldy machine to manage, and no one can be more conscious than myself, that many glaring imperfections could be pointed out. I respectfully recommend that hereafter no trains of such size be permitted to start on foraging expeditions.

I desire to express my grateful feelings for the kindness and attention of Colonel Dustin, commanding the expedition. His assistance enabled me, partially at least, to organize the chaotic mass of animals, wagons, and men attached to the train. His prompt and energetic action in the furnishing of details to guard and load the wagons, enabled the officers to fill their trains with despatch and his conduct was that of a careful, prudent, and energetic commander, as well as a courteous and agreeable officer and gentleman.

Hoping this report will convey all the information you require, I remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant, MOSES SUMMERS,

Captain, Assistant Quartermaster, Third Brigade, Second Division, Twentieth Army Corps.



Captain John Speed, Assistant Adjutant-General:

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this brigade since the last report, which embraced the occupation of Atlanta, September second, 1864.

The brigade was then encamped south-east of the city of Atlanta, Georgia, and furnished daily large details for working-parties on the fortifications. The Thirty-third Massachusetts volunteers formed part of the provost-guard of the city, and rejoined the brigade at Milledgeville, on the twenty-third of November. On the eighth


south-east fifteen miles to near Lithonia. hundred wagon-loads of corn were captured by the troops, and a quantity of provisions sufficient to subsist the men during the four days they were absent from Atlanta. On the fifth of November, 1864, this brigade moved with the balance of the corps, two miles on the McDonough road, where it remained until noon of the next day, and returned to its former encampment.

On the morning of the ninth of November, the enemy advanced toward our lines with cavalry and artillery, evidently supposing that the army had left Atlanta. A field-battery opened fire; some small-arms were used. The affair was simply a demonstration on the part of the enemy, and no casualties were reported in this command. In the afternoon of the same day, Colonel Ross, Twentieth Connecticut volunteers, rejoined the brigade and assumed command, relieving Lieutenant-Colonel Buckingham, Twentieth Connecticut volunteers, who had been in command since the departure of Colone! Wood, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth New-York volunteers, on leave of absence, September twenty-third, 1864.

On the fifteenth November, this brigade, with the division and corps, left Atlanta on the campaign which terminated on the twenty-first December, in the capture of Savannah. We marched cast through Decatur, passed Stone Mountain, crossed the Yellow River; through Rockbridge to Social Circle; from Social Circle to Rutledge, a distance of seven miles. This command destroyed the Georgia State Railroad, with short intervals; the destruction was thorough and complete; the ties were taken up and burned in piles, the rails laid on the piles and bent so as to make them useless. The railroad buildings at Rutledge and Social Circle were also destroyed. The next day we destroyed about a mile of railroad, with side-track, at Madison; also some railroad buildings, and a hundred bales of cotton. Marched thence south-east through Eatonton, across Little River to Milledgeville, where we halted one day. Crossed the Oconee River; passed Hebron, Sandersville, and Davisboro; crossed the Ogeechee River, thence through Louisville, and crossed the Augusta and Millen Railroad about three miles north of the latter place; thence to Springfield, and thence southeast toward Savannah, before which we arrived on the tenth of December, and formed line of battle on the right of the division, connecting with the Fourteenth corps, facing east, with our right on the Georgia Central Railroad.




Captain-C. H. Young, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General Third Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth Corps :


picket-line was advanced to within three hundred yards of the enemy's works. A strong line of works was constructed, and we lay under fire of the enemy's batteries until the morning of the twenty-first December. At sunrise of that day I received orders from General Ward to advance my picket-line. The advance found that the CAPTAIN: In obedience to orders, I have the enemy had evacuated their works during the honor to submit the following report of the night. We captured thirty-six prisoners, among operations of my command from the time of the whom were two officers; five large guns and one occupation of Atlanta to the present date. brass piece, with ammunition. My men removed command marched into and occupied a position six torpedoes, two on the railroad track and four in the defences of Atlanta, on the second day of on the turnpike road leading into the city. I September, 1864. From that time to the twenty. shortly after received orders to move my brigade first of October, the regiment performed picket toward the city and encamp it, which I did. The duty, and worked upon the new line of fortifica casualties during the campaign are as follows: tions projected for the defence of the city. On Killed, none; wounded, one officer, Lieuten- the twenty-first of October, the regiment joined ant Lewis, Twentieth Connecticut volunteers, in an expedition commanded by Colonel Daniel with grape-shot in leg, since dead; one enlisted | Dustin. The expedition went about twenty man of the One Hundred and Thirty-sixth New- miles due east; collected over eight hundred York volunteers; missing, one enlisted man of wagon-loads of forage, and returned to camp at the Twentieth Connecticut volunteers, leg broken Atlanta in four days without loss to this comand left near Milledgeville.

Missing: Fifty-fifth Ohio volunteers, eleven; Twentieth Connecticut volunteers, one; Twentysixth Wisconsin volunteers, one; One Hundred and Thirty-sixth New-York volunteers, seven. Total: one officer-twenty enlisted men.

Since my command left Atlanta, it has subsisted mainly from the country. Up to the time of the capture of Savannah, ten days' rations only had been issued by the commissaries. On the march, foraging-parties were sent out daily from each regiment, and found ample supplies, subsistence stores of all kinds, and forage. But four days' rations of forage were brought from Atlanta, and, up to the date of this report, all the forage that has been used has been taken from the country.

I have estimated that the troops of my command have procured from the country sixty-two thousand rations and thirteen thousand days' forage. It is proper to state that the supplies thus obtained were equal in quantity to double rations. My command captured from the country, twenty-one serviceable horses and sixty-five mules; besides these, a number of animals were taken, which were used on the march and abandoned. Also one hundred and fifty head of cattle and fifty sheep.


Captured from the enemy and the country: Artillery, number of guns, six; prisoners, thirtysix; rations of subsistence, sixty-two thousand; days' forage, thirteen thousand; horses, twentyone; mules, sixty-five; cattle, one hundred and fifty; sheep, fifty. Casualties, (twenty-one :) officer, (wounded, since dead,) one; enlisted men, wounded, two; enlisted men, missing, eighteen. Total, twenty-one.


On the fifteenth day of November, 1864, this regiment moved from its camp in the defences of Atlanta, and began the march across the State of Georgia, occupying its position in the brigade in the line of march, until it reached the defences of Savannah, without a single casualty in the command. The regiment assisted in destroying the railroad at Social Circle and at Madison. My command subsisted for thirty days almost wholly upon the products of the country through which we passed. I have to submit the following estimate of animals captured by my command: Ten horses, twenty mules, six head of beef-cattle. I have also to submit an estimate of commissaries and forage captured and used by the men and animals in my command: Two hundred hogs and pigs, forty sheep, two thousand chickens and turkeys, one hundred bushels of meal, one hundred gallons molasses, one thousand pounds of honey, three hundred bushels sweet potatoes, two thousand pounds flour, one thousand pounds sugar, three hundred bushels corn, and one ton of rough forage. The expedition was in nowise

severe on this command. The health of the men

was excellent throughout the campaign.

I have the honor, Captain, to subscribe myself, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Seventy-third Ohio
Veteran Volunteer Infantry.


NEW-YORK VOLUNTEERS, December 27, 1864.

Captain C. H. Young, Acting Assistant Adju
tant-General, Third Brigade, Third Division,
Twentieth Corps:

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the fol

lowing as my report of the operations of my command since leaving Atlanta. We left that I have the honor to be, Captain, very respect- place on the fifteenth of November, and without fully your obedient servant, incident worthy of special notice, marched about sixteen miles per diem until we reached MilledgeColonel Twentieth Connecticut Infantry, Commanding Brigade. I ville, which occurred on the twenty-second No


vember. Having remained there until the twenty-vannah and Charleston and Orange Railroads, refourth in the P.M. of that day, when the march lieving the troops of the Fourteenth corps then was resumed, but more moderately, we struck there. This I did, and there remained somewhat the Savannah and Charleston Railroad on the exposed to rebel shot and shell, but without suseleventh December, and on the same day took up taining a casualty, till December twenty-first, position in rear of Savannah, where, subject to when we entered the city of Savannah, without some annoyance from the enemy's shells, we re- opposition. mained until the twenty-first, when, the enemy having evacuated the city, we marched in, and afterward camped on the north-west side of the city, where my command now remains. With the exception of six and a half days' hard bread, ten days' coffee, eight days' sugar, seven days' bacon, and eight days' salt, my command sisted, during the march, upon provisions taken from the country.

We captured on the march about one dozen mules and three horses. As to the amount of provisions foraged, it is impossible to make an estimate; but I can safely say, that from the time that we left Rock Bridge until we arrived in the vicinity of Springfield, two men and a packsub-mule from each company, sent out daily, brought in sufficient to subsist the command wholly. The regiment enjoyed the best health throughout the campaign; the ambulance with the regiment was but little used; two men were with the division hospital ambulance a portion of the time, but there are none of those present with this army in hospital now.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your
obedient servant,
Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Vol-

I am, Captain, yours respectfully, etc.,
Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding.



SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 24, 1864.) Captain C. H. Young, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Third Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps:

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations required by circular of twenty-third instant:



SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 24, 1864.
Captain C. H. Young, Acting Assistant Ad-
jutant-General, Third Brigade:

Having pitched camp in Atlanta the fourth of September, my regiment remained there in peace and quiet till October eighth, when, pursuant to orders received the night before, I marched it to the Chattahoochee Railroad bridge, there reporting to Colonel F. C. Smith, commanding post. Here we remained as part of the garrison until November fourteenth, when, having the day previous, contributed our one quarter-mile of destruction to the railroad between the bridge and that city, we marched to Atlanta with Colonel Smith, and were there ordered to join our own again, which we did. November fifteenth, we started from Atlanta about ten A.M., and that day and ensuing night, wended our way in rear of a laboring wagon-train to Stone Mountain. November sixteenth, marched to Rock Bridge, and crossed Yellow River about ten A. M. November eighteenth, arrived at Social Circle, and there commenced destroying railroad; we worked in different places; destroyed in all, about half a mile's length. November nineteenth, arrived at Madison, and again destroyed a short piece of road immediately adjacent to the town, per-fantry, in charge of which I was placed, went to haps two hundred and fifty yards or three the vicinity of Lithonia, where they filled about hundred yards. November twenty-second, we sixty wagons with corn, making about nine hunarrived at Milledgeville. November twenty-sixth, dred bushels, averaging the loads at fifteen bushat Sandersville. November twenty-seventh, at els each. Davisboro. November twenty-ninth, crossed the Ogeechee and marched through Louisville. December sixth, arrived at Springfield, and on the tenth, in front of Savannah, where we took position. The next day the brigade was advanced and my regiment placed on the extreme left of the line. December twelfth, I was ordered to take my regiment to the right of the brigade and there take position between the Sa

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report that this regiment entered the city of Atlanta, Georgia, on the second day of September, 1864, and having been stationed behind the defences of that city on the south-east, remained there until the fifteenth day of November following. While stationed at Atlanta, the regiment (at least such portion of it as was then bearing arms) went, with the brigade to which it belongs, on a foraging expedition to the east of Decatur, and returned on the fourth day thereafter. During its absence from the city on the aforesaid expedition, the regiment subsisted upon the country, obtaining about one thousand four hundred pounds of meat of various kinds, and about twenty bushels of sweet potatoes, together with vegetables of other kinds, in amount which I am unable to estimate; of forage obtained by this regiment alone, it is impossible to say what was the amount. On the second day of the expedition, this regiment, together with the Seventy-third Ohio volunteer in

On the fifteenth day of November, 1864, this regiment started (with the brigade to which it is attached) on the campaign through Georgia. Arrived at Social Circle on the eighteenth, where it destroyed about a quarter of a mile of railroad track. On the following day arrived at Madison, where it destroyed about ten rods of track, and burned a building containing about fifty bales of cotton. Arrived at Milledgeville, Georgia,

« PreviousContinue »