Page images

tigue duty in the quartermaster and commissary by Captain A. G. Kellam, and I was in command departments, under command of Colonel Crane, of the brigade. About November first, large One Hundred and Seventh New-York volunteers, preparations commenced for the campaign just commanding provisional brigade. One company, ended. A full supply of clothing and equipB, was detailed for duty at Soldier's Home. With ments were issued to the men, and baggage of this exception, the regiment continued upon this all kinds was reduced to its minimum. I reduty until November fourteenth, when it was sumed command of the regiment, having been relieved by Major-General Slocum, and ordered relieved in command of brigade by Lieutenantto report to the brigade. Colonel Crane, Eighty-fifth Indiana volunteers. November 5.-The entire corps broke camp, and moving three miles out of the city, on McDonough road, camped for the night.

It joined the brigade November fifteenth, as it moved from Atlanta, and from that time until December tenth, participated in all the marches of the brigade, performing the usual duties of picket and train-guard, incident to a march. Captain Baldwin and his company, D, were detailed for foraging.

November 18.-A portion of his men returned. December 19.-The captain, with the balance of his company, being then engaged in running

a rice-mill.

The regiment was not at any time in action, and lost no men, except one who was left on guard at a private house, November eighteenth, since which time he has not been heard from; it is probable he is captured.

From December tenth until the twenty-first, the regiment with the brigade has been camped in line, about four miles from Savannah, doing the usual picket-duty in front of the enemy's line.

At daylight, on the twenty-first, the regiment was ordered to move toward the city, the enemy having evacuated. We marched within the rebel works and lay in line a few hours, when we again moved forward and came to our present camp, one mile from the city.

I am, Captain, very respectfully, your obedi-
dient servant,
Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding.

To Captain A. G. Kellam, Acting Assistant

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following "military history" of my command, from the occupation of the city of Atlanta, Georgia, to the present date.

On the morning of November sixth, the pickets of the Second brigade were attacked by a small force of the enemy's cavalry, who soon retired. At three o'clock P.M., orders came to return to the city, which was done; the troops occupying the quarters left by them the day before. During these two days, the regiment received eight months' pay, to August thirty-first, 1864.

8th. Election was held. The regiment polled three hundred and eighty-two votes, three hundred and seventy-two of which were for Lincoln. Remained in camp, doing light picketduty, until the orders came for the beginning of the campaign, whose objective point was a mystery. Early on the morning of November fifteenth, the entire corps took the Decatur dirt road, and after getting beyond the fortifications, stopped for dinner, being delayed by the trains of other divisions. Crossed the Atlanta and Savannah Railroad about half-way between Atlanta and Decatur, and marched all night, only stopping about two hours in the morning of the sixteenth instant, for breakfast. On this day the regiment was in advance of the brigade. Marched all day, crossing the railroad again, a little south of Stone Mountain, and camping for night a mile east of Yellow River, at Rockbridge.

17th. Broke camp at half-past three A.M., marching till dark in an easterly direction, crossing Big Haynes Creek shortly after dinner.

18th. Marched all day and night with train, reaching Social Circle just after sunrise. Passing through Rutledge, we tore up and burned about a mile of railroad, and camped within eight miles of Madison.

19th. Broke camp, and after marching a short distance, commenced tearing up railroad, which we destroyed clear to Madison, and passing through this town, went into camp three miles beyond at an early hour.

20th. Broke camp at eight A.M., marched all day in a south-easterly direction, reached camp after a hard day's march about dark, stopping near Eatonton.

September 2.-The regiment took an active part in the occupation of Atlanta, by the Second brigade, under command of Colonel John Coburn, Thirty-third Indiana, and taking position in the earthworks of the enemy, went into camp. Nothing of note took place until October sixteenth, when the regiment, with brigade, com- 21st. Moved out through rain and mud, marchmanded by myself, accompanied a large foraging ing through Eatonton, travelled ten (10) miles, expedition, being absent four (4) days, penetrat-reached camp at half-past two P.M. ing some thirty miles into the enemy's country, 22d. Cold and windy; lay in camp until nearand loading some eight hundred wagons with ly night, when we moved out, crossing Little corn and forage. A similar expedition started River (a branch of the Oconee) on pontoons; October twenty-sixth, not going so far, however, guarding train. but meeting with the same success, and without finding any considerable force of the rebels. During this time the regiment was commanded

23d. Reached Milledgeville, the State capital, just at daybreak; remained here in camp during the day. Weather still quite cold.

24th. Broke camp at eight A.M., but did not get fairly started until three P.M. Crossed the Oconee River on bridge.

25th. Marched six miles, and camped on west side of Buffalo Creek.

26th. Breaking camp at eight A.M., reached Sandersville at an early hour, and camped for night.

27th. Marched at half-past seven A.M., reaching Davisboro, on the railroad, shortly after dark.

28th. Marched at half-past six, our brigade in advance of the corps. On reaching the Ogeechee, some twelve miles from Davisboro, found the bridges burned by the rebels, and went into camp for night. Engineers and pontoniers were at once put to work, and twenty-ninth instant the troops and trains commenced crossing; the rear of the train did not pass until nearly dark; just at dark our brigade crossed, camping a short distance beyond the stream at ten P.M.

30th. Remained in camp all day waiting for trains to pass, and started at nine in the evening, passing through Louisville, going very slowly, and camped at nearly morning, having accomplished but five miles.

December 1.-Remained in camp, waiting for passage of trains, until three P.M., and got over five miles of miserable country at midnight.

2d. Broke camp at daylight; marched fifteen miles, camping at dark in corn-field, west of Jones Creek.

11th. On the morning of this day, pursuant to orders from corps headquarters, the regiment moved back on main road, and, accompanied by Battery I, First New-York artillery, which it was to support, took a cross-road leading to the bank of the Savannah River, at a point about six miles from the city on a direct line. The object of this movement was to plant the battery in a position commanding the main channel of the river, and prevent the enemy's gunboats, that were known to be up the river, from getting to the city. The battery went into position, and the regiment also, one wing being placed on the right, the other on the left of the guns. A strong earthwork was constructed, and parties were at once sent out to secure all small boats and ricebarges (a species of scow) that were in the river, it being rightly foreseen that they would be of use in future. Opposite to us lay an island, several miles in length, and from one to two in width. The island (called Argyle) was one grand rice-swamp, and was thickly traversed by ditches, dikes, and canals. A large rice-mill, just opposite to our position, and on the farther or eastern side of the island, was guarded by company F, Captain R. T. Pugh. At dark, the Third regiment Wisconsin infantry, (Colonel Hawley,) belonging to First division, Twentieth army corps, commenced crossing over to the island, using all the boats collected by the regiment during the day. The Third Wisconsin relieved the guard over rice-mills, and they re

3d. Leaving camp at an early hour, and pass-turned to the regiment during the night. ing near Millen, and the prison-pen where our prisoners were confined. Keeping north of the Savannah Railroad until dark, when we crossed it, and crossing some half-dozen swamps, went into camp at midnight.

4th. After a rainy night, broke encampment at half-past seven A.M. Our brigade marched as train-guard; accomplished six miles over horrible roads. Cannonading can be heard in the direction of the coast.

5th. Marched fifteen miles through a dead level country, heavily timbered with pine; swamps numerous.

6th. Broke camp at five A.M., our brigade in advance of corps; camped after going but a few miles.

7th. Leaving camp at eight A. M., marched ten miles; camping near Springfield, an unimportant town.

8th. Our division in the rear; lay in camp until noon; crossed a small creek, and remaining there until sundown, reached camp at eleven P.M. 9th. Broke camp at daylight; marched fourteen miles; are getting within striking distance

of Savannah.

10th. Marching at daylight on an excellent road, we crossed the Charleston and Savannah road ten miles from the latter place. About four miles out, our advance struck the enemy's outposts, and skirmishing continued throughout the day. Troops went into position, and our brigade being in reserve, went into camp in good season.

As they

12th. The forenoon was occupied in strengthening works, and collecting boats. Guards were also sent to rice-mills, one or two miles above us, on the river bank. At about three P.M., a smoke was discovered some miles up the river, but rapidly nearing. At last they were made out to be three boats, two side-wheel wooden boats, and one having the long, low hull and rakish build of a modern gunboat. As they came within range, our battery opened fire, and was quickly responded to by the gunboat, which was behind, and soon after by the second boat in the line. The battery worked rapidly, and by the time the boats had arrived within half a mile, two of them had been struck. came to a turn in the channel, that gave us a raking fire at them, there appeared to be some hesitation, which ended in the two rear boats heading up-stream, and putting on full steam, rapidly leaving the boat on the lead to shift for herself. But she was both disabled and aground. This being observed, word was at once sent to Colonel Hawley, proposing that he move his men up from the mill on the island, and take possession of the boat, as she had gone ashore on Argyle Island; and as there were no boats that were available for that purpose at the regiment, this was done. The boat Resolute, C. S. Navy, ran up the white flag, and was boarded by our men. Her crew consisted of seven officers and twenty-two men. She had no armament. The other two boats carried each several guns. A crew was selected from the

regiment, who brought her off the bar, and moored her just below the battery. Repairs were at once commenced. It was found that two shots had passed through her, and that she was also seriously damaged by colliding with the other boats as they turned around. No further attempt was made by the boats that escaped to get to the city. From this time, nothing of importance occurred for some days. A party of the regiment, under the charge of myself, explored Argyle Island to the head, finding canals extending from one channel to the other.

the part taken by my regiment in the campaign just closed by the fall of Savannah, Georgia : September 1st, 1864. Regiment engaged in building works near Pace's Ferry.

2d. Still at Pace's Ferry. One P.M. our brigade received orders to move, and at eight P.M. we halted at Atlanta.

3d. Moved out and occupied rebel works on easterly side of the city.

4th. Assigned position on westerly side of McDonough road.

5th to November 5th, inclusive. Regiment occu21st. Savannah was occupied by the United pied same position. On the afternoon of NovemStates forces. The rebel gunboats below the ber fifth, 1864, regiment was ordered to be ready island were burned before the occupation. The to move, and at three P.M., we marched out on Mcenemy still hover about the South-Carolina shore, Donough road about one and one half miles, and and there is some skirmishing across the chan- bivouacked for the night, and on November sixth nel that separates Argyle Island from the shore. returned to our camp, where the regiment re22d, 23d, and 24th. Remained in camp, send-mained until the morning of November fifteenth, ing guard of one hundred men to first rice-mill on river.

[blocks in formation]

when the regiment moved from camp and marched to the vicinity of Stone Mountain.

November 16th. March resumed; bivouacked at night near Sheffield.

17th. Marched to vicinity of Social Circle, destroying railroad track.

18th. Moved at five A.M.; passed through Social Circle, and bivouacked near Madison; portions of railroad track destroyed.

19th. Moved at five A.M.; passed through Madison. The division being on special duty, several miles of railroad track destroyed; also dépôt at Buckhead. Cavalry burned railroad bridge over Oconee River.

20th. Moved at seven A.M. Demming's Mills.


bivouacked at

21st. Moved at eight A.M., and marched toward the Oconee River; bivouacked about six miles from Eatonton.

22d. Moved at half-past six A.M., and crossed the Oconee River, and reached Milledgeville at five P.M. Passed through and bivouacked on south side of the Oconee River.

23d. Resting at Milledgeville.

24th. Moved about eleven miles and bivouacked near Gum Creek.

25th. Moved at seven A.M., and bivouacked at Buffalo Creek.

26th. Moved at six A.M., reaching Sandersville at one P.M. At four P.M. moved to Tennille. 27th. Moved at six A.M. Engaged all day in de

Hoping the above will meet your approval, I stroying railroad track and bridges; bivouacked remain, Captain, most respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel Commanding Twenty-Second
Regiment Wisconsin Infantry Volunteers.


HEADQUARTERS ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEENTH REGIMENT NEW-YORK VOLUNTEERS, SAVANNAH, GA., Dec. 23, 1864. Š Captain N. K. Bray, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Brigade, Second Division, Twentieth Corps:

SIR: In compliance with circular order, I have the honor to submit the following resumé of events since September first, 1864, and report of VOL. IX.-Doc. 9

at Davisboro.

28th. Moved at eleven A.M., and reached Spiers at six P.M., and bivouacked.

29th. Moved at eight A.M., and marched to Bostwick. Regiment engaged in tearing up and destroying railroad track.

30th. Burned bridge over Ogeechee River, and trestle-work over Williams's Swamp. At four P.M., moved to join division, and reached Louisville at nine P.M., where we bivouacked.

December 1st. Moved at eleven A. M., in the direction of Millen, and bivouacked at night about twelve miles north-east from Millen.

2d. Moved at six A.M., and bivouacked near Buckhead Creek.

3d. Moved at eleven A. M., and bivouacked near Creek. Division as rear-guard.

4th. Moved at half-past ten A.M., and bivouacked near Horse Creek.

5th. Moved at daylight, and crossed Horse Creek. Division still rear-guard.

6th. Regiment detailed to forage for brigade. 7th. Regiment still on duty foraging for brigade. Rejoined same near Springfield.

8th. Moved at seven A.M., and crossed Ebenezer Creek, and bivouacked for the night near Eden. 9th. Moved at eight A. M., First division leading. At two P.M., the rebels opened with artillery on the advance. The enemy were soon driven. Our brigade sent to support Colonel Carman's brigade, of First division. The enemy retreated, and we were not needed. Bivouacked for the night fourteen miles from Savannah.

fertile country, and not less than three thousand pounds fresh pork, two thousand pounds bacon, two hundred sheep, five thousand bushels sweet potatoes, eight barrels of sorghum syrup, and one thousand five hundred pounds corn-meal were procured from the country.

On the eve of December fifth, ten wagons were well laden with stores foraged. From this date till we come to the defences of Savannah, very little was found, though the wagons emptied were immediately filled with potatoes.

The forage-parties of this brigade, under Captain Baldwin, Nineteenth Michigan, Captain Anderson, Eighty-fifth Indiana, and Lieutenant Knowles, Twenty-second Wisconsin, were the first to discover, protect, and put in running order one of the two rice-mills on the Savannah River, which, under my immediate charge, threshed the

10th. Moved at half-past two P.M., and bivou- rice which furnished the Twentieth corps the only acked four miles from Savannah.

[blocks in formation]


SIR: I have the honor to make the following report of the approximate amount of subsistence procured from the country by the commissary department of this brigade since the occupation of Atlanta by our forces.

Forage-parties from the brigade were first organized in October, communication with the rear being intercepted, and in two expeditions to Flat Rock and Stone Mountain, respectively, a good supply of sheep, corn-meal, and honey was procured. From this date till the evacuation of the city, November fifteenth, supplies were plenty, and the organization of forage-parties rendered unnecessary.

Leaving Atlanta, we passed during the first week through an arable, thickly-settled cattlegrowing country, and obtained from the country (50) fifty head of beef-cattle, one hundred and seventy-five head of sheep, five thousand pounds of fresh pork, six hundred bushels sweet potatoes, two hundred pounds honey, ten barrels sorghum syrup. During the following week, between Little River and Louisville, passed through low swampy country, but picked up one hundred head of beef-cattle, one hundred sheep, one thousand three hundred pounds poultry, one thousand bushels sweet potatoes, three thousand three hundred pounds honey, fifteen barrels sorghum syrup, two thousand pounds corn-meal, one thousand three hundred pounds flour-all of which was issued to the brigade.

The next five days' march lay through a more

[ocr errors]

available substitute for bread prior to the capture of Fort McAllister. Total amount foraged from September second to December twenty-fifth: One hundred and fifty head of beef cattle, four hundred and seventy-five sheep, eight thousand pounds fresh pork, two thousand pounds bacon, ten thousand pounds poultry, six thousand six hundred bushels sweet potatoes, five thousand pounds honey, thirty-three barrels sorghum syrup, three thousand pounds corn-meal, two thousand three hundred pounds flour. Lieutenant Wing, Acting Assistant-Quartermaster, by furnishing all available transportation as soon as called upon, contributed materially to the suc cess of the forage-parties. The latter were well conducted and systematically arranged. During the greater part of the march the troops were abundantly supplied by a daily issue.

I have the honor to be, Captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


First Lieutenant Eighty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and Acting Commissary Subsistence, Second Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps.



OFFICE ACTING ASSISTANT QUARTERMASTER, SECOND BRIGADE, THIRD DIVISION, TWENTIETH ARMY CORPS, SAVANNAH, GA., December 25, 1864. CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report of quartermaster's stores procured from the country by the quartermaster's department of this brigade, agreeably to orders from the opening of the campaign to the occupying of the city of Savannah, by the Federal forces:

On the first of November I relieved Lieutenant J. L. Berch, Twenty-second regiment Wiscon sin volunteer infantry, and Acting Assistant-Quartermaster, and consequently my report will not embrace the time from the date our forces occupied Atlanta up to the first ultimo

Condition of Transportation.-At the opening of the campaign on the fifteenth of November, my transportation was not in the finest condition, by reason of our communication having been cut by the enemy, and the scarcity of forage on hand at the time. Large foraging parties were often sent out, but the meagre quantities of corn and fodder

drawn from the surrounding country were inadequate to meet the requirements of the animals. All the animals were very much reduced in flesh, having had but half and quarter-rations for six weeks prior to the evacuation of the city of Atlanta.

was in the harness for forty-eight hours without rest. In many cases the roads were heavy, and the mules taxed to their utmost to draw the heavy army-wagons along. But by reason of their having nearly full rations of corn and fodder, they rather gained than fell off on the Amount of Forage on Hand.-At the time of campaign, and they are now in much better conleaving Atlanta I had on hand full rations of for-dition than when the campaign opened. age for four days, which with a very small amount gathered up on the march, was made to last until the twenty-second of November. The country through which we were then passing had been pretty effectually foraged upon by our own forces before the move, and by the enemy while camped south of the place. The little that remained was taken by our cavalry and the advance divisions.

I wish particularly to call attention to the able manner in which Captain Baldwin, Nineteenth Michigan volunteer infantry, and Lieutenant Knowles, of the Twenty-second Wisconsin volunteer infantry, discharged their duties as commandants of the different foraging detachments.

Total number of horses procured, (36) thirtysix; mules, (32) thirty-two. Pounds of corn, (60,000) sixty thousand; fodder, (36,720) thirtythousand seven hundred and twenty. Respectfully submitted.

Foraging-Party.-On the twenty-second of November, at my request, I was furnished with a detail of two officers and thirty men for forag-six ing purposes. This detail was divided into two different detachments, and instructed to mount themselves on horses and mules captured from the country, and to scout the country thoroughly, and bring in all the horses, mules, etc., found. This duty was faithfully performed by them. In addition to this, they burned large amounts of cotton found hid in the woods and swamps.


First Lieutenant Nineteenth Michigan, and Acting Assistant-
Quartermaster, Second Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth
Army Corps.

Captain A. G. KELLAM,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Brigade, Third Dl

vision, Twentieth Army Corps.

CORPS, SAVANNAH, GA., December 25, 1864.
CAPTAIN: I have the honor to make the fol-

march from Atlanta to this place for the use of the (28) twenty-eight teams belonging to the third division supply and ordnance trains which were assigned to this brigade upon leaving Atlanta: Pounds of corn, (39,312) thirtynine thousand three hundred and twelve. Fodder, (30,000) thirty thousand.

Forage Gathered.-On the twenty-third of November, (12) twelve horses, (11) eleven mules, (20) twenty loads of corn, and (10) ten of fodder, were brought from near the Oconoco River.lowing report of forage taken up while on the On the twenty-fourth, (8) eight horses, (8) eight mules, (25) twenty-five loads of corn, and (15) fifteen of fodder were taken up. On the twentysixth, near Sandersville, (10) ten horses, (6) six mules, (20) twenty loads of corn, and (10) ten of fodder were taken. From the twenty-seventh of November to the third of December inclusive, no horses or mules, and but a small quantity of forage taken up. This was owing to the fact that the country through which we passed was mostly wild. Our division was in the rear, and the little forage in the country was gathered up by the troops in our advance. On the fourth of December, (6) six horses, (7) seven mules, (17) seventeen loads of corn, and (11) eleven of fodder were brought in.

The country passed over from this date up to the time position was taken before the city, was very poor and thinly settled, and the amount of forage captured will not exceed two loads of each. From the tenth up to the twenty-first, forage for the animals has been procured from the rice-mills on the Savannah River, six miles from the city. The country through which we passed was, for the most part, well filled with all kinds of forage. Much of it, however, was concealed in the woods, swamps, and out-of-the-way places, by the citizens, evidently to keep it from our troops; but by the energy and activity of our foragers it was discovered, and appropriated to the use of the Government.

Abandoned Transportation.—I did not find it necessary to abandon any portion of my transportation during the campaign. The march was a hard one, and frequently the entire mule-train

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
First Lieutenant Nineteenth Michigan, and Acting Assistant
Quartermaster, Second Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth
Army Corps.

Captain A. G. KELLAM,
Acting Assistant-Adjutant-General, Second Brigade, Third Di-



December 26, 1864.

To Captain John Speed, Assistant Adjutant-
General, Third Division, Twentieth Army

SIR: I have the honor to report the operations of the division, during the time that I had the honor to command it, as follows:

I assumed command on the twenty-third of September, Brigadier-General Ward being absent on leave.

I found the First brigade in command of Colonel Smith, of the One Hundred and Second Illinois; the Second, under Lieutenant-Colonel Bloodgood, of the Twenty-second Wisconsin; and the Third, under Lieutenant-Colonel Buckingham, of the Twentieth Connecticut.

The position of the command was not changed until the when by an order from corps

[ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »