Page images

The loss sustained by the regiment in men was,
three captured, and one severely wounded.
All of which is respectfully submitted.
Major Commanding.


SAVANNAH, GEORGIA, December 24, 1864.
To Lieutenant A. H. Trego, Acting Assistant
Adjutant-General, First Brigade, Third Divi-
sion, Twentieth Army Corps, Army of Geor-

march, my command passed through the towns of Decatur and Lithonia on the fifteenth, and November sixteenth, crossing a branch of the Ocmulgee River near the latter place; Social Circle and Rutledge Station, on the Augusta branch of Georgia Central Railroad, on the eighteenth; Madison, on the nineteenth; leaving the railroad at Madison and passing through Eatonton, a point at the terminus of a branch of the railroad running from Milledgeville, entered Milledgeville on the twenty-second, and lay over until the morning of the twenty-fourth. On the twenty-sixth, arrived at Sandersville, on the left of the Georgia Central Railroad; camped at Davisboro on the railroad, on the night of the twenty-seventh. Passed Louisville on the twenty-ninth, a point on the left of the Georgia Central Railroad; on the thirtieth, lay_over. the seventh of December, arrived at Springfield; When the city of Atlanta was taken posses- on the eighth, lay over until dark at Springfield; sion of by the troops of the Twentieth army on the tenth, moved up within four and a half corps, my regiment, then in command of Colonel miles of Savannah, and meeting the enemy's pickDustin, was left at the Chattahoochee River, toets, a line was formed on the right of the road; my guard the bridges and stores remaining there. regiment, with the exception of a portion of the One Hundred and Second, was on the right of the line.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following as a report of the part taken by my regiment in the late operations, commencing from the second day of August, 1864, and ending with the present date.


During the march, forage was abundant, and regular details were made to secure it. The men and officers subsisted almost entirely from the country.

At Milledgeville, my command was detailed and assisted in the destruction of rebel property. Several thousand stand of arms were destroyed, together with a quantity of ammunition; also twenty casks of salt, which were thrown into the river. While before Savannah, my command threw up two lines of breastworks, on the sev

After the sixteenth of September, all the regiments of the First brigade, except the One Hundred and Fifth, having moved down to Atlanta, The march was concluded on the twenty-sixth this command, in connection with the Twenty-day out from Atlanta. On the eleventh and sixth Wisconsin infantry, performed duty at the twelfth December, my battalion changed its poriver. Strong works were prepared, and the ut- sitions in the establishment of the lines. most vigilance exercised to guard against guerrillas and marauders, who infested the country thereabouts. Colonel Dustin assumed command of the brigade, in the absence of Colonel Harrison, on the eighteenth September, when Lieutenant-Colonel Dutton commanded the regiment, until the ninth October, when, having received leave of absence, he left for Illinois; since his absence I have had command. While lying at the river, frequent details were made for foraging purposes. The First brigade, having moved back from Atlanta on first October, all the regi-enteenth and twentieth instant. Captain Forments furnished men for foraging parties. On the twenty-fourth of October, I was sent out in charge of a party of five hundred and fifty men, and a train of wagons, to be gone three days. On the second day out, the party was attacked by a force of guerrillas several times. I parked the train, deployed the men into line, and drove them off without any loss; arrived in camp with train well loaded with provisions.

On the seventh November, an order was received at these headquarters, transferring the One Hundred and Fifth to the Second brigade, Colonel Dustin being placed in command of brigade.

During the campaign just closed, my regiment has borne an honorable part. We left camp at Chattahoochee River, on the morning of fourteenth November, and, until we camped before Savannah, were on the march through Georgia, tearing up railroad tracks and doing other duty. The march was rapid. At noon, on the fifteenth November, left Atlanta, marching out in the direction of Decatur, on the Decatur pike. On the

sythe, of company H, was sent out in charge of ten men, on a reconnoissance, on the night of the eighteenth instant, in front of the One Hundred and Fifth regiment, and on the right of the brigade. He proceeded to within twenty yards of the enemy's line, encountering a deep swamp in front of their works. He observed their fires and heard them talk. After drawing their fire, he returned with his men, having accomplished all that was practicable in the darkness of the night. The entire distance marched by my regiment, cannot exactly be arrived at, but it will not fall far short of four hundred miles.

The general good conduct of officers and men, I am pleased to commend to your favorable consideration, especially on account of the manner in which they bore the fatigue and privations of a long march.

Hoping that the above may prove satisfactory, t
I have the honor to be, very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,

H. D. BROWN, Major Commanding Regiment.

December 25, 1864.

Lieutenant A. H. Trego, Acting Assistant Adju-
tant-General, First Brigade, Third Division,
Twentieth Army Corps:

8000 pounds; sweet potatoes, 50 bushels; molasses, 100 gallons; horses, 8; mules, (Quartermaster's department,) 12; mules and horses for companies, 15.

Of this number, many were turned into brigade headquarters by orders, and afterward some were killed, as I understand, but the exact LIEUTENANT: In response to the order requir-number I cannot now state. ing me to make a report of the recent campaign, with approximate estimates of forage, horses, mules, etc., captured, so far as my regiment is concerned, I submit the following:

Very respectfully,


Colonel Commanding Regiment.

December 27, 1864.

While our brigade was in camp at Chattahoochee Bridge, I was in charge of only one forage expedition; the amount of corn obtained on that Captain John Speed, Assistant Adjutant-Genexpedition was about four thousand five hundred eral, Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps: bushels. During the afternoon of the thirteenth SIR I have the honor to transmit my report November, my regiment completely destroyed of the operations of the Second brigade, Third about half a mile of the railroad lying between division, Twentieth army corps, from the time I the Chattahoochee River and Atlanta. Our bri- assumed command, on the ninth day of Novemgade broke camp the next morning and proceed-ber, to the twenty-first day of December. I also ed to Atlanta, and marched thence on the recent transmit herewith the reports of my regimental campaign on the fifteenth November, proceeding commanders, embracing the time from the occueasterly. We arrived at Madison on the eigh-pation of Atlanta, on the second day of Septemteenth, thence we moved in a south-easterly di- ber, to the capture of Savannah, on the twentyrection, and reached Milledgeville on the twenty-first instant. second; we marched thence on the twenty-fourth, By special order from corps headquarters, I and passed through Sandersville on the twenty- assumed command of this brigade on the ninth fifth, Louisville on the twenty-ninth, rested the day of November, my own regiment, the One thirtieth, passed Bulkhead Church December Hundred and Fifth Illinois, still remaining in the third in the morning, and on the same day our First brigade. I thus relieved Lieutenant-Colobrigade destroyed about one and a half miles of nel Crane, of the Eighty-fifth Indiana, the rankthe railroad leading from Millen to Augusta. ing officer of this brigade. Colonel Crane was in Reached Turkey Creek about four P.M., December command but for a few days, and to relieve him sixth, and arrived within shelling distance of the from the necessity of making a separate report works of the enemy four miles from Savannah as brigade commander, it may be here stated about ten A. M. on the tenth instant. Here the that nothing of particular interest occurred while head of the column halted, and my regiment was he was in command, excepting that on the fifth sent forward, deployed as skirmishers, to recon- day of November the brigade moved out on the noitre the works of the enemy. I advanced to McDonough road for the distance of two miles within eighty rods, when, coming within full and then encamped. On the sixth, it was orview of their works, and encountering a heavy dered back to its original position near Atlanta. abattis on my left, and wide and deep swamp on Before returning, and just at daylight on the my right, I halted my skirmish-line. Was re- morning of the sixth, a dash upon our picketlieved at nine P.M. same day, and went into camp line was made by a squad of rebel cavalry, and with the brigade that night about one and a half one man from the Thirty-third Indiana veteran miles behind the skirmish-line previously held volunteers was killed. Early on the morning of by my regiment. Our forces remained here in the ninth of November our lines were disturbed camp until the twenty-first instant, when the by artillery firing from the enemy, who had enemy having evacuated Savannah, we came into placed two guns in position at a point a short the city and encamped in our present position. distance to the right of the Decatur road. From this point some fifteen or twenty shells were thrown into our lines, some of them bursting within and close upon the encampment of the Eighty-fifth Indiana. The brigade was promptly under arms, but the firing soon ceased, and no further demonstration was made in our front.

The distance marched by us, from the Chattahoochee to Savannah, was two hundred and eighty miles.

No casualties in my regiment, except private Davis, company A, who was accidentally shot by some one foraging near the road, November eighteenth, and died that night; also a private of company F was accidentally shot in camp, but not mortally.

It will be very difficult for me to give estimates of horses, mules, forage, etc., captured by my command during the march, but the following will at least approximate the actual results: Corn seized, 100 bushels; blade fodder, 1500 pounds; rice fodder, 1000 pounds; fresh pork,

On assuming command of the brigade, I found it organized as follows: Thirty-third Indiana veteran volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Burton, 636 men; Twenty-second Wisconsin volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Bloodgood, 711 men; Nineteenth Michigan volunteers, Lieutenant Colonel Baker, 703 men; Eighty-fifth Indiana volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Crane, 640 men; grand aggregate, 2690 men. Of this number, the total

present was 1531 men; number of muskets present, 1222.

I found the Nineteenth Michigan detached and on duty in the city of Atlanta, reporting to Colonel Crane, One Hundred and Seventh NewYork volunteers, commanding a provisional brigade.

On the fourteenth, I announced the brigade staff as follows: Major Wilson Hobbs, Eightyfifth Indiana, Surgeon in Chief; Captain A. G. Kellam, Twenty-second Wisconsin, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General; Captain Wm. Bones, Twenty-second Wisconsin, Acting Assistant Inspector-General; Captain D. J. Easton, Nineteeenth Michigan, Acting Aid-de-Camp; Lieutenant H. C. Johnson, Thirty-third Indiana, Topographical Engineer and Acting Aid-de Camp; Lieutenant L. M. Wing, Nineteenth Michigan, Acting Assistant Quartermaster; Lieutenant W. S. Harbort, Eighty-fifth Indiana, Acting Commissary Subsistence; Lieutenant C. A. Booth, Twenty-second Wisconsin, Provost-Marshal; Lieutenant H. C. Brown, Eighty-fifth Indiana, Brigade Ambulance Officer; Lieutenant John Hart, Thirty-third Indiana, Pioneer Officer.

November fifteenth, pursuant to orders of the day before, the brigade moved out from Atlanta at nine o'clock A.M., taking the Decatur road, the Third (3d) division in the rear and the Second brigade in the centre of the division. The march was seriously embarrassed by the trains, and, with frequent and tedious delays, was continued until eight o'clock A.M. of

November sixteenth, when, after halting two hours for breakfast, the march was resumed, the Third division in the centre, the Second brigade in advance. The roads were bad and the progress of the column still seriously impeded by the trains. The brigade encamped at eight o'clock P.M. near Rock Bridge, on Yellow River, having made twenty-five miles from Atlanta in the two days' inarch.

November seventeenth, moved at six A.M., passing through Sheffield and Somers's Mill, crossing Big Haynes Creek shortly after noon. March continued through the night until three o'clock in the morning of

November eighteenth. After halting for a short rest and breakfast, the brigade moved forward at Six A.M., striking the Augusta and Atlanta Railroad at Social Circle at an early hour in the morning. Passing on toward Rutledge, the brigade was halted near that town, and destroyed, by tearing up and burning, nearly two miles of railroad track, then again moving forward, and going into camp in good season about six (6) miles west of Madison.

November nineteenth, broke camp at five A.M., and after marching a short distance were halted and commenced destroying railroad track. This destruction was very complete, and extended to within half a mile of the railroad dépôt at Madison. Passing through Madison, the brigade went into camp on the Milledgeville road, four miles from Madison.

November twentieth, marched at six A.M.,

Third division in advance, Second brigade in rear of division. Deployed in the trains. Encamped two (2) miles north of Eatonton at dark, having marched fourteen (14) miles. November twenty-first, moved at five A.M. A heavy rain falling, seriously affecting the roads. Third division in advance, Second brigade in advance of division. Eatonton is the terminus of a branch railroad intersecting the Central Railroad at Gordon, and miles distant from the latter place. Encamped at three P. M. on the Little River, ten miles from Milledgeville.

November twenty-second. Here the brigade was detained by the crossing of the trains on the pontoon until four P.M., when it moved forward on Milledgeville road, Third division in rear, Second brigade in rear of division deployed on trains. The march was continued through the night, with frequent detentions on account of the trains, the advance regiment of the brigade reaching Milledgeville about ten o'clock P.M., the rear regiment arriving at seven o'clock in the morning. The night was severely cold, and there was much suffering among the men.

November twenty-third, remained in camp during the day; weather very cold.

November twenty-fourth, the brigade moved at six A.M., crossing the Oconee River, and then halting, to allow the Fourteenth corps to pass, until three P.M., when it moved forward slowly, greatly impeded by the trains on the Hebron road. Third division in rear, Second brigade in centre. Roads generally fair. Marched until three next morning, making but twelve (12) miles.

November twenty-fifth, rested three (3) hours, moving again at six A.M. Third division in advance, Second brigade in advance of division. Moved through Hebron to Buffalo Creek, where our advance exchanged a few shots with the enemy. Went into camp, all the trains having crossed the creek except those of the Third division, Twentieth army corps.

November twenty-sixth, broke camp at six A. M., crossing the creek at ten A.M., and halting for the pontoon-bridge to be taken up, moved forward to Sandersville, Third division in rear, Second brigade in rear, reaching Sandersville at half-past four P.M. At this place our column was joined by the Fourteenth corps from the left.

November twenty-seventh, broke camp at seven A.M., the Third division taking charge of the trains of the whole corps, the First and Second divisions, being detached, destroying railroad track, Second brigade in centre of the division. Made fourteen (14) miles over a good road, crossing to the south side of the. Central Railroad, arriving at Davisboro at seven P.M.

November twenty-eighth, marched at six A.M., on Louisville road, Second brigade in advance, First and Second divisions still at work upon the railroad. Arrived at the Ogeechee River at twelve м. The bridge having been destroyed by the enemy, the column was halted and the brigade went into camp in good season, with orders to be ready to move at eight next morning.

November twenty-ninth, detained by crossing of trains until ten o'clock P.M., when the brigade crossed, and under orders went into camp, remaining to guard rear of train and pontoon-bridge train.

November thirtieth, remained in camp until seven P.M., when the brigade moved forward, taking pontoon-train. Crossed Rocky Comfort Creek, passed through Louisville at nine P.M., and encamped about twelve м. near Dry Creek, three miles east of Louisville.

December first, remained in camp waiting for the passage of the trains until three P.M. Brought up trains of Twentieth corps, one division Fourteenth corps, and General Kilpatrick's cavalry. Third division in rear, Second brigade in centre. Crossed Big Creek and went into camp at midnight about one mile east of the crossing, having made eight miles during the day.

December second, moved at daylight, crossing Baker's Creek and passing through the most difficult swamp yet found. Third division in rear, Second brigade in advance of division. Roads good except the swamp just mentioned. Went into camp at dark near Jones Creek, about one mile west of Buckhead Creek, having marched fifteen miles.

December third, moved at seven A.M., the brigade having been ordered to report to General Geary, commanding Second division. By his orders took charge of cavalry train of two hundred and forty wagons, crossed Buckhead Creek, passed Millen prison-camp about noon. Leaving Millen to the south, crossed the Augusta and Millen Railroad about dark, taking the Sylvania road and going into camp about midnight four (4) miles east of Millen.

December fourth, broke camp at half-past six A.M., crossed Big Horn and Little Horn Creeks, still guarding cavalry train. Marched eight (8)


December fifth, moved at half-past six A.M. in same order as for the past two days. Rejoined the division, and went into camp at seven P.M., having marched fifteen miles.

December sixth, broke camp at six A.M. Third division in advance, Second brigade in advance of division. Moved about thirteen miles, going into camp at three P.M. in a pine forest ten (10) miles north-west of Springfield.

December seventh, broke camp at eight A.M. Third division in advance, Second brigade in rear. Crossed Turkey Creek, marched ten miles, and went into camp near Springfield at four o'clock in the afternoon.

and went into camp at dark sixteen miles from Savannah.

December tenth, broke camp at seven A.M., and marched to within five (5) miles of Savannah on the Savannah and Augusta dirt road, crossing the Charleston and Savannah Railroad ten miles from the latter place. Here our advance, coming upon the enemy's troops, went into position. The Second brigade being in reserve, went into camp in good season in rear of the line of the First and Third brigades of our division.

December eleventh, remained in position until dark. In obedience to orders from corps headquarters, the Twenty-second Wisconsin was detached and sent to Gibbon's plantation, on the Savannah River, to support a battery and blockade the river. At dark the brigade moved forward into the first line, connecting the right of the First brigade with the left of the Third bri gade, midway between the dirt and railroad, the general direction of the line of battle being nearly north and south.

December twelfth, remained in position.

December thirteenth, the battery supported by the Twenty-second Wisconsin attacked three boats attempting to pass the blockade, one being a gunboat, the other two side-wheels, one armed; the unarmed boat was soon disabled by the battery, and the other two abandoned her, our forces immediately taking possession of her and her crew. The Twenty-second Wisconsin at the river took possession of rice-mills on the river, and by details from the regiment commenced operating them, contributing very materially toward relieving the embarrassment of the subsistence department on account of the scarcity of supplies. This work was energetically prosecuted under direction of Lieutenant Harbort, Acting Commissary of Subsistence of the Second brigade, by details from the brigade. Line of battle corrected and advanced. Second brigade again in reserve.

December fourteenth, by direction from corps headquarters, two regiments, Eighty-fifth Indiana and Nineteenth Michigan, Colonel Crane commanding, made an expedition eight and a half miles into the country with twenty-four wagons, returning in eight hours with the wagons loaded with stores.

December fifteenth, remained in position.

December sixteenth, at seven A.M., brigade moved to the left of the Augusta dirt road, occupying partially completed works just then evacuated by the Second brigade, First division, Twentieth army corps, (Colonel Carman,) connecting on the right with the First brigade of our division, and on the left with the First brigade, First division, Twentieth army corps. Picket-line five Se-hundred yards in advance of line of battle, and within five hundred yards of the enemy's line of battle.

December eighth, remained in camp until noon for the First and Second divisions to pass. Moved six miles. Second brigade in centre of division. Went into camp about eleven P.M.

December ninth, broke camp at daylight. cond brigade in advance. Eighty-fifth Indiana was detached and sent forward to repair the roads for the trains; the work was severe and constant, and the faithful manner in which it was performed was very creditable to the officers and men of the regiment. Moved fourteen miles,

December seventeenth, remained in position; details from the regiments were set to work, and the unfinished breastworks in front of the brigade put in good condition for defence.

December eighteenth, received the following has been done by other officers of my staff and order from division headquarters:

[blocks in formation]

To-night each brigade commander will send out to his front a reconnoitring party to ascertain every avenue to the enemy's position. A written report of the investigation will be sent to these headquarters by nine A. M. to-morrow.

By command of Brig.-Gen. W. T. WARD.

Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General.

In pursuance of which, after a careful personal examination of the ground by the Colonel commanding, the following report was made:

GEORGIA, December 20, 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following report for the information of the General commanding:

This brigade (Second) has three (3) regiments in line, the Twenty-second Wisconsin being detached and upon duty at Gibbon's plantation, on the Savannah River; the right of our line rests upon the "Savannah and Augusta dirt road," connecting with the left of the First brigade of this division, (Colonel Smith,) the left connecting with the right of the First brigade, First division of this corps, (Colonel Selfridge,) with a front of seven hundred and forty (740) yards. The general direction of our line of battle is a little cast of north, and is very well fortified; our front is covered by a picket-line of two (2) commissioned officers and one hundred and seventy (170) men, connecting on right and left as indicated above, and is four (4) hundred yards in advance of the line of battle, the intermediate ground being covered with pine; the ground is dry, with no serious obstacles to an advance in line of battle; in front of the entire length of our picket-line is an open space, probably eight hundred yards in width, on our right, and gradually widening toward the left; the enemy's line of battle (fortified) is just in the edge of the woods upon the opposite side of the open space just referred to, and continues (toward the left) along the edge of the woods about half our brigade front; from this point, toward the left, their line is plainly visible in this open space; in front of the right of our picket-line there is an almost impenetrable slashing of timber one hundred yards in width, and extends toward the left nearly half the front of our brigade; between this slashing and the rebel skirmish-line there is a basin of water from seventy-five to one hundred yards in width, the depth of which has not been ascertained; this basin of water widens and evidently deepens to ward the left, where three flood-gates are plainly visible, indicating that the basin of water has been used for the purposes of irrigation.

On the nineteenth instant, I made a careful personal examination of the ground-the same

command. The ground, to within a short distance of the enemy's picket-line, has, I think, been very thoroughly explored. I have reason to believe that between the rebel skirmish-line and their line of battle, there is a ditch or canal extending from the bridge on the main road toward the river.

In my judgment, an advance in our front, for the purpose of assaulting the enemy's works, would be extremely difficult, and its success doubtful.

This report was very fully confirmed by facts transpiring with the evacuation, excepting, perhaps, the distance between the picket-line of this brigade and the enemy's line of battle.

December 19th.-Upon application of the Colonel commanding, permission was granted to build a new line of works five hundred yards in advance of the old, and the line laid out. From this new line our musketry, together with the artillery assigned to that part of the line, would have greatly controlled if not rendered quite untenable the enemy's lines in our front.

20th. Work on new line commenced by details from the regiments, and energetically prosecuted through the day and night.

21st. Early in the morning, it having been discovered on the left, that during the night the enemy's works in their front had been evacuated, our skirmish-line was advanced under direction of Lieutenant-Colonel Crane, Eighty-fifth Indiana, division officer of the day. Finding the works in our front empty, the brigade was immediately moved forward, being the first to occupy the enemy's works in front of our division. Their artillery along the whole line in our front was abandoned and left standing in the embrasures. After halting in the works two (2) hours, the brigade was moved forward, and went into its present position, one mile north-west from the city. The brigade being in the centre of the division, the picket-line of the brigade occupies the line of rebel works spoken of above, and consists of one commissioned officer and eighty-five (85) men.

25th. The Twenty-second Wisconsin was relieved from duty on the river, and rejoined the brigade. During the march, the brigade destroyed about ten (10) miles of railroad track; being without the usual facilities for this work, it was done under considerable disadvantage and much hard labor; it, however, was accomplished most effectually, and reflected great credit upon officers and men for their energy and zeal.

I have the honor herewith to forward the reports of Major Hobbs, Surgeon-in-Chief of the brigade, Lieutenant Wing, Acting Assistant-Quartermaster, and Lieutenant Harbort, Acting Commissary of Subsistence. From Lieutenant Wing's report, it will be seen that the whole number of horses and mules, and the amount of forage procured on the march, is as follows: Horses, thirty-six, (36;) mules, thirty-two, (32;) number pounds of corn, ninety-nine thousand three hundred and twelve, (99,312;) number pounds of

« PreviousContinue »