Page images
[ocr errors]

near Springfield at seven P.M. Distance marched, fifteen miles.

One man from the Thirty-third Indiana was killed while on the skirmish-line.

On the sixth, the enemy made a slight deDis-monstration on our lines; fired a few shells; but retired without doing any damage.

8th. Moved at half-past six A.M., encamped for the night near Eden at half-past three P.M. tance marched, fourteen miles.

9th. Marched at seven o'clock A.M., encamped for the night at six P.M. Distance marched, eight miles.

10th. Moved at nine o'clock A.M., via Savannah road, encamped for the night near the fivemile post. Distance marched, ten miles.

11th. Went into position in line about four miles from Savannah, where we remained until 21st. At four o'clock A.M., moved toward Savannah, and entered the city just at daylight. Annexed, I have the honor to forward a list of casualties for the period herein mentioned. Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieut. Colonel Commanding One Hundred and Eleventh
Regiment Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers.

Captain OLIVER T. MAY,

A. A. A. Gen., Third Brigade, Second Division, Twentieth Army

List of casualties in the One Hundred and
Eleventh regiment Pennsylvania veteran volun-

teers, from November sixteenth to November twenty-first, 1864, inclusive:

On the thirteenth day of November, pursuant to an order from corps headquarters, I ordered Colonel Smith, commanding First brigade, to move his command toward the city. destroying the track of the railroad, until he met a party of the First division working on the road from the town. This was done.

On the fifteenth day of November, I was ordered to march on the Decatur road, at nine o'clock A.M., following the troops and trains of the First and Second divisions. Started about half-past eleven o'clock; moved very rapidly to Decatur; made a dinner-halt of an hour and a half, and started on toward Stone Mountain. Column ahead moved haltingly-we would march half a mile, and then halt for an hour. On the road all night; stopped for breakfast near Stone Mountain, and then pushed by First division, to well all day; crossed Yellow River toward night; take my place as second in line. Moved pretty camped near its banks, at Rocky Ridge Post


November 17.-Moved at five o'clock A.M., Thomas Brown, private, company B, wounded Second division still leading us; passed Shefin face, slightly.

[blocks in formation]

Lieutenant-Colonel H. W. Perkins, Assistant Adjutant-General, Twentieth Army Corps: COLONEL I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of this division, from the occupation of Atlanta, September second, 1864, to the occupation of Savannah, December twenty-first, 1864.

September 2.-A report has already been forwarded of the capture of Atlanta, and of the position of troops in the city, so that it is now unnecessary to repeat.

field and Somers's Mills; camped four miles from Social Circle; rear of column came in very early in morning.

November 18.-Moved on to Social Circle; detached Third brigade to destroy railroad, (Augusta and Atlanta.) Colonel Ross tore up track to Rutledge, (seven miles;) the First and Second brigades were several times halted, to pile rails on the track, and set them on fire. In this way the road was effectually destroyed for about twelve miles. Camped six miles from Madison, Georgia.

November 19.-Second and Third brigades moved at five o'clock A.M., to destroy railroad. First brigade, with trains, moved at seven A.M., to and through Madison, to a camp four miles east of that place, on the Eatonton road. cond and Third brigades joined First at Madison.


November 20.-Marched in advance to within two miles of Eatonton; went into camp for the night in good season.

November 21.-Raining. Moved at five A. M., through Eatonton, to within ten miles of Milledgeville; camped in pine woods on the Little River.

The troops remained in the same position until September twenty-third, when the First brigade and one regiment (Twenty-sixth Wisconsin) of the Third brigade were moved to the railroad bridge, over the Chattahoochee River, where they remained until the commencement of the campaign just ended. Of the foraging parties sent out from Atlanta and the railroad bridge, I know nothing myself, having been home on leave of absence. Inclosed, I forward the report of November 22.-First and Second divisions, Colonel Daniel Dustin, One Hundred and Fifth with trains, pass to our front. The crossing of Illinois volunteer infantry, who commanded the the river was very slow, the hill being very bad. division during my absence; also the reports of By order of General Williams, moved two briAssistant-Quartermaster and Commissary of Sub-gades (First and Third) into town, (Milledgeville,) sistence, as to amounts of forage and subsistence taken from the country at that time.

On the fifth day of December, pursuant to an order received from Major-General Slocum, the division moved out of town, on the McDonough road; but was ordered to its old camp the next morning.

VOL. IX.-Doc. 8

passing trains, and leaving the train of my division in charge of Second brigade, Colonel Dustin. It came in about three o'clock A.M.


November 23. All day in Milledgeville, rest

November 24.-Moved at six A.M. across Oconee River. Halted until three o'clock P.M., allowing

Fourteenth army corps to pass. Still in rear of
corps; marched in Hebron road.
November 25.- Passed Hebron to Buffalo
Creek; division still in rear; bridge burned;
went into camp in good season.

November 26.-Moved at six A.M.; division in rear of corps; took up pontoons over Buffalo Creek; reached Sandersville at two o'clock P.M.; went into camp.

First brigade, in advance, went into Springfield; balance of division camped one mile west of the town. Pioneers cleared road of trees felled by enemy, and built foot-bridge across Jack's Branch.

December 8.-Division in charge of corps trains; ordered to cross the branch, mass troops and park trains around the town. Two o'clock P.M., ordered to move at once; roads terrible. November 27.-Division in charge of corps Head of column went into camp at forks of road, trains and artillery; marched to Davisboro, four-only six miles; but the rear of column did not teen miles; went into camp early, getting every come in until forty-five minutes past eight o'clock thing in at an early hour. the next morning.

November 28.-Marched on Louisville road; December 9.-Detailed Eighty-fifth Indiana, still in charge of trains; bridge over Ogeechee Lieutenant-Colonel Crane commanding, to repair destroyed; pontoniers and pioneers at work roads ahead of trains. Had orders, if possible, all afternoon. The Fourteenth corps train pass-to overtake troops of First and Second divisions. ed us here. Moved by Mount Zion Church. Marched fifteen miles; camped in rear of corps, fifteen and one half miles from Savannah.

November 29.-Moved at two P.M.; crossed Rocky Comfort; passed through Louisville; went into camp on Big Creek, where the enemy had destroyed bridge. Second brigade left at the Ogeechee, to guard the pontoon-train. November 30.- Remained in camp all day. By order Major-General Slocum, commanding left wing, moved up Second brigade and pontoon-train. Heavy fog settled at night; almost impossible to see five feet ahead. The brigade and train came into camp at twelve o'clock, (midnight.)

December 10.-Broke camp at half-past six A.M., to march in rear of First division; moved on main road to Monteith, (ten-mile station, Savannah and Charleston Railroad.) Here the General Jackson command was busily employed destroying the tracks. My division was ordered forward to protect the working party. Threw First brigade in line of battle, near Cherokee Hill. Received orders to move forward until I came to opposition; was not checked until within four and one half miles of Savannah. Here we ran upon the enemy's works; halted; ordered to

December 1.-Marched at one o'clock P.M.; division, in rear of corps, in charge of cavalry train, and General Carlin's train of Fourteenth corps-form two brigades in right of Jonesville road, Colonel Selfridge's brigade of First division assisting this division to guard the increased train. Marched eight miles; rear in about three o'clock


and to hold one in reserve. This was done: First and Third brigades in first line; Second brigade in camp in rear. My left connected with right of First division; my right with left of Fourteenth army corps. The enemy made no demonstrations worthy of notice; he fired heavy guns freely, but they did little or no damage.

December 2.-Still in rear and in charge of same trains. Marched toward Buckhead Creek; camped within one mile of that stream about dark; ordered to cross that night; order coun- December 11.-Order from General Williams, termanded at nine o'clock P.M. commanding Twentieth corps, to send a regiment December 3.-Crossed Buckhead Creek, to over to Savannah River. Colonel Dustin, commove ahead of Second, in rear of First division.manding Second brigade, sent Twenty-second General Carlin's train ordered to report to its Wisconsin, Lieutenant-Colonel Bloodgood comown division. Cavalry train and my Second manding. This regiment supported Captain brigade ordered to report to General Geary. Moved across Millen and Augusta Railroad, leaving stockade to left. Detached First brigade to destroy railroad; effectually destroyed about four miles, by piling fence-rails on the track, and setting them on fire. Moved into a camp near Big Horse Creek, the First brigade coming in about eleven o'clock P.M.

December 4.-Moved Second division in line. Went into camp at cross-roads, six miles from Sylvania.

Winnegar's battery, which, on the thirteenth instant, disabled the rebel transport Resolute to such a degree, that she fell into our hands. A crew from the Twenty-second Wisconsin was put aboard of her, and ran her up to within the week just passed. On the fourteenth instant, two regiments were detailed from Second brigage, as escort to a train sent into the country from corps headquarters. They returned same night.

December 15.-Received orders to relieve Colonel Carman's brigade, of General Jackson's

December 5.-Marched at seven A.M.; passed First division; marched eight miles on Spring-division. field road; went into camp at one o'clock P.M. Second brigade joined the division about seven o'clock P.M., having marched fifteen miles.

December 6.-Marched in advance of corps fourteen miles; camped at three o'clock P.M. ten miles north-west of Springfield.

December 7.-Marched again in advance.

December 16.-Colonel Dustin, commanding Second brigade, relieved Colonel Carman, on left of Louisville road, at daybreak. The line very long- about seven hundred yards — and only three regiments to hold it. Colonel Dustin was ordered to complete the works, and place his command in as strong a position as possible.

The brigades, at this time, were stationed as follows: Third on the right, First in centre, Second on the left, covering a front of about one and one half miles. They retained this position until the evacuation of Savannah.

By order of the Corps Commander, the front of this position was frequently and thoroughly investigated. Every avenue of approach to the enemy's lines was ascertained, and reports of these investigations were promptly forwarded to Lieutenant-Colonel Perkins, Assistant AdjutantGeneral of the corps.

On the morning of December twenty-first, before day, I was notified that the enemy had left his works; that General Geary was in them. I was ordered to push my skirmish-line forward to the city, and to occupy the rebel pits with my line of battle. This was done. At eleven A.M., I received orders to put my command in camp west of the canal. The troops went in at once, Third brigade on right, Second on centre, First on left. Wagon trains parked in rear of troops.

During the march from Atlanta to Savannah, my command was subsisted almost entirely from the country. The report of my Commissary, and those of my brigade commanders, will show how little we depended on the Government. The subsistence procured was of the best quality, greatly preferable to the army ration. Vege tables, especially sweet potatoes, were abundant, and at no former period has my command been so healthy as it was on reaching Savannah.

The Quartermaster reports will show the number of mules and horses taken, and the comparative condition of transportation on leaving Atlanta and on reaching Savannah. Had it not been for the numbers of animals seized, more than half the train must have been abandoned. As it was, the class of animals is not only improved, but they are in fine condition, and with proper feeding, are ready for another campaign at any time.

twenty-fourth, I have the honor to submit the following report:

The brigade, which I had the honor to command, was stationed at the railroad bridge across the Chattahoochee River, during the interval between September twenty-third and the commencement of the campaign just ended.

On the fifteenth of October last, I received permission from Major-General Slocum, commanding United States troops at Atlanta, to send out foraging parties on the north side of the Chattahoochee River. I subsisted the animals belonging to the post, and also those belonging to myself and staff, up to the time of marching, entirely from the country.

November 13.-At four P.M., I received orders to destroy the railroad from the Chattahoochee River toward Atlanta, and to continue till I met the working party sent out from that city, and then to join the division at Atlanta.

14th. At nine A.M. I had completely destroyed three and a half miles of the road, where we met the party sent from the city. I then moved my command to Atlanta, and reported to Brigadier-General Ward, commanding division, at five P.M.

15th. At one P.M., I moved my command, as rear-guard of the column, in the direction of Decatur. Nothing worthy of particular mention occurred during the march, except that my entire command subsisted exclusively upon the country, until my arrival before this city.

December 10.-At this time, I had in my train the same amount of subsistence for my brigade that I had at the beginning of the march, though not of the same kind.

At the commencement of the campaign, all of the animals belonging to the command, public and private, were much reduced and many of them unfit for service. On the march, I kept out foraging parties on the flanks, with instructions to seize all serviceable horses and mules they might find. In this way, I replaced the unserviceable animals of the brigade train of twenty-three teams, putting in one hundred and twenty fresh mules. I replaced the horses of the ambulances, six in number, with good mules. I also put into the ordnance train, which for the time being was assigned to the train of my brigade, thirty fresh animals. I also supplied the regiments with the proper number of pack-mules, sixty in number.

As to the amount of cotton destroyed, I think that five thousand bales would not be an overestimate. Of course I allow a margin for the unauthorized burning by foraging parties. The amount may have been more than given, as we kept no record of the amount burned. One thing I am sure of: there was not much left behind us. Inclosed, I transmit brigade, regimental, Quartermaster, and Commissary of Subsistence reports. The report of the Seven- Officers, who were entitled to horses, have ty-ninth Ohio is not yet in, that regiment hav-been supplied with good ones, in all cases where ing been detailed since December nineteenth, 1864. Very respectfully, etc., W. T. WARD, Brigadier-General, Commanding Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps.


HEADQUARTERS FIRST BRIGADE, THIRD DIVISION, TWENTIETH ARMY CORPS, SAVANNAH, GA., Dec. 26, 1864. Brigadier-General Ward, Commanding Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps:

SIR: In obedience to your order of December

their own had become worn out and useless. I turned over to Lieutenant Thompson, ProvostMarshal of the division, at various times, seven| ty-eight horses, most of which were unserviceable, making an aggregate of seizures and captures, as follows: Number of mules, two hundred and twenty-two; number of horses, seventyfive; number of beef cattle, two hundred and eighty.

On the tenth of December, my brigade was in the advance of the column. After crossing the Charleston and Savannah Railroad, I deployed

the One Hundred and Second Illinois infantry, in command of Captain Clay, as skirmishers, and advanced till we were within four and a half miles of this city, when the enemy's works were discovered, one mile in advance of the head of the column. The brigade was then deployed in line of battle, the left resting on the road leading into Savannah, and connecting on the right with the Third brigade, near the Charleston and Savannah Railroad. The rebel works in our front were a continuous line of breastworks, strongly built, with heavy headlogs, and extended at right angles with the road; in the road was a strong bastion with two embrasures, in which were two long thirty-two pounder cannon, (old style.) After dark, I reconnoitred the works, and advanced to within three hundred yards of the works, and found them weakly manned, which I reported to the division commander.

By direction of the division commander, on the night of the eleventh instant, I established a squad of sharp-shooters on the Savannah road, covering the guns in the bastion. On the night of the twelfth, these guns were removed from the embrasures, and did not appear again during the investment. In obedience to orders received, I reconnoitred the position of the enemy in my front during the night-time, from the fifteenth to the nineteenth, and found a swamp or pond of water, extending its entire length, varying in depth from two to three and a half feet, and the enemy weak, which I also reported to the division commander, and in which report I also expressed the opinion, that I could easily carry this position by assault.


VOLUNTEERS, December 24, 1864.

Lieutenant A. H. Trego, Acting Assistant Ad-
jutant-General, First Brigade:

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of the One Hundred and Second Illinois volunteers, from the second day of September to the twentieth day of December, 1864.

When the city of Atlanta was first occupied by our forces, September second, the regiment was stationed north of the Chattahoochee River. It marched on the sixteenth of September to Atlanta, and remained encamped in the suburbs of the city, until the thirtieth of the same month, when it returned to the Chattahoochee, and was assigned a position on the south side of the river, protecting the railroad bridge.

On the eighteenth day of October, Captain Sedwick, with fifty men, was sent out to recapture a number of horses and mules, which the enemy had driven off, and succeeded in recovering three horses and two mules.

Captain George W. Woolley, company F, with a detachment from the regiment, participated in a foraging expedition, which started out on the eighteenth of October, and returned on the twentieth of that month; the teams that were sent out returned loaded with forage. About the last of October, Captain D. W. Sedwick commanded a detachment from the regiment, which foraged in the same locality, (Ruswell Factory.) The expedition, which comprised details from the several regiments of the brigade, returned with thirAt daybreak, on the twenty-first instant, I re-ty-seven loads of forage, and three wagon-loads ceived orders to advance my command, under the supposition that the enemy had evacuated his position. I immediately ordered my picketline forward to his line of works in my front, and found that the enemy had retired, leaving the guns above mentioned in our possession. When informed of this, I immediately ordered a guard over the guns and a small quantity of ammunition designed for their use, which guard was relieved by the division picket, on the evening of the same day.

We moved forward at eight A.M. from the enemy's works to our present encampment, on the north side of the Charleston and Savannah Railroad. I here beg leave to state that on the third day of December, I was ordered to proceed north of Millen, for the purpose of destroying a part of the Augusta Railroad, and was so employed with my entire command for five hours, and burned and destroyed four miles of that road, At other different times, during the march, my brigade destroyed about two miles of railroad, making in all about nine and a half miles of railroad destroyed by my command. I am gratified to be able to speak of the general good conduct of my men, and their uniform cheerfulness to perform all labor and duty required of them. Respectfully submitted. F. C. SMITH, Colonel Commanding.

of potatoes. Two other foraging parties were sent out, under officers of my command, during the time the regiment was stationed at the Chattahoochee River; but the officers who were in charge being absent at this time, no report of their operations can be furnished.

The regiment participated in the work of de'stroying the railroad between Chattahoochee and Atlanta, on the twelfth of October. Probably tore up three fourths of a mile of the railroad track.

November 14.-Marched to Atlanta and joined the division, and on the following day marched with the corps on the great raid through Georgia.

During the campaign, the regiment obtained its full share of subsistence from the country, consisting of flour, meal, molasses, yams, pork, chickens, turkeys, butter, honey, wine, whiskey, and a variety of other articles, too numerous to mention here. I think the regiment obtained from the country twice the amount of subsistence that would have been necessary to supply the men during the march. Vast quantities of provisions were unavoidably abandoned on the way, as the men could not well carry more than their haversacks would hold.

During the raid, the regiment captured horses, mules, and cattle, as follows: horses, seventyeight; mules, sixty-eight; cattle, eighty-eight.

« PreviousContinue »