Page images

3,000l. Other contributions have also been received, leaving about 600l. to be made up. In addition to the foregoing, 1,000l. is required for the pavement of the nave and nave aisles, and 1,030. for the restoration of the north porch. The new open choir screen is in course of completion, as well as the new organ, and the painting of the arcade on the south side of the choir is to be continued, the work having been undertaken by a local artist. The late Miss Grace Everard, of Laverstock Hall, near Salisbury, by her will bequeathed 1,000l. towards the restoration fund of the cathedral, free of legacy duty.

COL. GORDON.-The following interesting statement is from a private letter, dated Cairo, Feb. 17, received from Col. Gordon:His Highness to-day has signed the Firman. He could not have given me greater powers. He has given me over the Soudan, in addition to the Province of the Equator and the littoral of the Red Sea, absolute authority over the finance, &c. I am astounded at the powers he has placed in my hands. With the GovernorGeneralship of the Soudan it will be my fault if slavery does not cease, and if these vast countries are not open to the world. So there is an end of slavery if God wills, for the whole secret of the matter is in the government of the Soudan, and if the man who holds that government is against it, it must cease.

20. CAPTAIN ADAMS, OF THE SHIP "COREA," of London, has applied to the magistrate at Thames Police Court, under the following circumstances, for his advice. Captain Adams stated that he left China on his voyage home in September last. When in the China seas, about 200 miles from land, he fell in with a boat containing two men, who were almost in a dying condition. He took them on board and gave them food, which they ate ravenously. He had no opportunity of putting them on shore, and had brought them to England. Their language was unintelligible, but he believed they were natives of Cochin China. They had managed to tell the sailors by signs that they had been out fishing, had fallen asleep, and drifted out, not being able to fetch the land with their clumsy boat. They had been without food or drink for four days. Captain Adams had tried in vain to find some home to which the men could be sent until they could be taken back to their own country. Mr. De Rutzen requested him to allow them to remain in the ship for a day or two, while inquiries were made, and this Captain Adams promised to do.

- A SUPPER WAS GIVEN, on Tuesday evening, to about 150 thieves, in the Mission Chapel, Little Wild Street, Drury Lane; and seven of them, it is stated, have been reclaimed through the efforts of the missionary known as "Fiddler Joss."

- MRS. F. E. HOGGAN, M.D.-Mrs. Frances Elizabeth Hoggan, M.D., of Zurich, who has been for several years in practice in London, has just passed a successful examination in Dublin, and has received the Licenses in Medicine and Midwifery of the King's and Queen's College of Physicians in Ireland, which of course

secure for her official recognition in the United Kingdom. By a singular coincidence, on the same day Dr. George Hoggan, the husband of Mrs. Hoggan, was attending at the reading of their joint paper on "Lymphatics of Muscles" at the meeting of the Royal Society, on Thursday last. This subject is one of the most intricate and mysterious known in physiological science, and Mrs. Hoggan has been a principal agent in elucidating this obscure problem; and has accomplished the work, moreover, without the infliction of the smallest pain even on the meanest of sensitive


- RICCIOTTI GARIBALDI, the second son of the illustrious general, seems to have had an adventurous career lately. He is now in Melbourne, in a Government office, with a salary of 2001. a year. When he first arrived in Australia from England, with a wife-an Irish lady, to whom her father refused a dowry because she married an enemy of the Holy Father-Ricciotti earned a precarious living by whipping coal. When at last the unhappy pair were on the verge of starvation, Ricciotti determined to lay aside his incognito and declare who he was. The Government at once gave him the place of secretary in one of the public offices, which post he has now filled for a year with all honour and glory.


3. HAWKING. To prove that hawking is not an extinct sport, an amateur has lent to the Alexandra Palace his mew of falcons and tiercels, and yesterday, for the first time, at Muswell Hill, two of the peregrines were flown at the lure. The falcons would rise and soar round and round, and then, as the dead bird which served for the lure was thrown up in the air, they swooped suddenly down upon it, and struck it to the earth with a blow of their powerful talons. Afterwards the red and purple hoods were pulled over their eyes, the jesses were knitted round the wrist of the falconers, and the birds were carried back, their bells tinkling, to a lawn in the Japanese village, where they camp out all night. On this lawn are exhibited not only the peregrines which gave visitors a taste of their quality, but gray Norwegian and French goshawks, fatal foes to rabbits or hares, two fine Norwegian gerfalcons, sparrow-hawks and little sharp-eyed merlins. Hard by sat nine black cormorants near to the trees. Empress, one of the finest and fastest peregrines known in modern times, who was a principal attraction at the Paris Acclimatisation Gardens in 1875, is among the falcons, and others are being imported from Iceland, India, Syria, and Greenland. Some smaller hawks are kept in houses, and some fly at liberty, returning at feeding times. There are

also a few young herons, with which the hawks are "entered" or trained. The principal falconer is Mr. John Barr, of Scottish birth, who visited, when in the service of the Maharajah Dhuleep Singh, Syria, India, and Holland, to learn all the secrets of falconry. The flat country of Holland, where the sport can be watched for long distances without mountains to obstruct the view, is well known as classic ground for hawking, and it is in a similar country that the English Hawking Club pursues its sport. The birds at the Alexandra Palace are the property of Captain Dugmore. Their wonderful quickness in swooping on the quarry was excellently shown by the flying at the lure, although, of course, the scene so often figured by Sir Walter Scott and the Flemish painters of knights and ladies riding out to fly a hawk was not reproduced by these falcons perched on flowerpots in the model Japanese village at Muswell Hill.

-THE VESTRY OF ST. MARTIN'S-IN-THE-FIELDS have resolved -at the suggestion of Miss Octavia Hill, who contributes some portion of the cost-to lay out with flower beds and walks the old burial-ground in Drury Lane, which has so long remained in an unsightly condition, and to open the ground to the public for the purposes of recreation.

6. TERRIBLE COLLIERY EXPLOSION.-An explosion, resulting in the loss of five lives, has occurred at the Great Boys Colliery, Sale Lane, Tyldesley. This pit is 160 yards deep, and only recently the getting of coal was commenced. It is owned by Messrs. Thomas Fletcher & Sons, of Little Lever, near Bolton, and at the time of the explosion fifteen men and boys were at work on the side of a 6-ft. seam. Safety-lamps were used, there being gas in the mines, and the cause of the calamity is attributed to a blownout shot, which had been drilled by Robert Prendergast, one of the injured, and not likely to recover.

BURNING OF THE "TEVIOTDALE."-Captain Robert Jones, late master of the iron ship "Teviotdale," of Glasgow, has arrived at Bangor, his native town, bringing full particulars of the destruction of that vessel in 8° 40′ S. (latitude), and 70° E. (longitude). The "Teviotdale" was owned by Messrs. J. & A. Roxburgh, of Glasgow, and sailed on July 27 last, laden with a cargo of 1,790 tons of coal, from Dundee for Bombay direct, with a crew of twenty-six. Nothing of importance happened until October 31, at 5 A.M., when the cook observed smoke issuing from the forehold. This was reported to the chief mate, and next to the captain, who at once gave directions about shifting the cargo and getting the fire engine and pumps to play in the lower hold and 'tween decks. All day the crew did their best to get at the seat of the fire, and on the following day these exertions were resumed, but they were driven from the hold by the smoke, sulphur, and gas. The hatches and ventilators were then battened down with the view of smothering the fire, but at 4 A.M. on November 2, they were blown up by a violent explosion. The crew continued to

play on the burning mass, but it was found that the deck had ignited, and at 7 A.M. the flames broke through. The masts, one by one, fell overboard; all hopes of saving the ship were abandoned, and the two longboats and ship's lifeboats were launched and provisioned. The ship being nothing but one huge blaze both fore and aft, the boats left, and steered for Diego Garcia, the southernmost island of the Chagos Archipelago, which, after several days and nights' hard rowing and exposure to heavy seas and bad weather, they succeeded in making. Upon this island they remained for fifty-four days, subsisting principally upon what fish they could One man was prostrated by epilepsy, but recovered. On December 28 the shipwrecked crew were taken off by the Capetown schooner "Barso," Captain Christienson, which had touched there on her way from Port Louis, Mauritius, to Six Islands. January 5 they were landed at Port Louis.

[ocr errors]

A PICTURE has just been added to the National Gallery, being that bequeathed to the nation by the late Mr. W. Linton, the well-known painter of classical landscapes. The picture is one of the deceased painter's best productions, instinct with solemnity and dignity befitting the subject. It is "The Temples of Pæstum,' and shows the ruins of those gigantic structures standing in the marshy level between the mountains and the sea.

10. A PIECE OF GOOD FORTUNE has just fallen to the lot of Dr. Halifax, of Brighton. An aged miser, who died a few days since at Woolwich, has left him a legacy of 6,000l. The old gentleman, John Clark by name, was a rather singular character. He was eighty-six years of age, and, although he was reputed to be the possessor of a large fortune, he lived to the last in a squalid hovel in the poorest part of Woolwich, where, being a man of education, he devoted himself to the accumulation and study of books, of which he leaves a large store. It is said that the front shutters of his house have not been opened for thirty years, and that he never took a regular meal. He did not know the taste of wine or spirits. The value of his estate has not yet been computed; but, from the fact that besides the legacy to Dr. Halifax, he bequeaths 5,000l. to his housekeeper, and various legacies of smaller amount to the local charities and to a number of the poor neighbours by whom he was surrounded, it is estimated at between 30,000l. and 40,000l.

TESTIMONIAL TO MR. DARWIN.-Mr. Darwin has received as a testimonial, on the occasion of his sixty-ninth birthday, an album, a magnificent folio, bound in velvet and silver, containing the photographs of 154 men of science in Germany. The list contains some of the best known and most highly honoured names in Europe. He has likewise received on the same occasion from Holland an album with the photographs of 217 distinguished professors and lovers of science in that country. These gifts are not only highly honourable to Mr. Darwin, but also to the senders, as a proof of their generous sympathy with a foreigner; and they

further show how widely the great principle of evolution is now accepted by naturalists. The German album bears on the handsome title-page the inscription, "Dem Reformator der Naturgeschichte, Charles Darwin " (to the Reformer of Natural History).


Odger were this day honoured with a public funeral.

The crowd around the house of the deceased was immense, and the marshalling of the throng required all the energy of Mr. Shipton and his fellows. The space of several adjacent streets was necessary to form the line of procession, which was headed by the Italian band from the democracy of Clerkenwell Green. The line began to move towards Brompton Cemetery shortly before three o'clock, the band playing the "Dead March in Saul." The trades unionists marched in front, and were noticeable for their want of marching organisation, the most elementary knowledge of drill being altogether lacking. The coffin was borne upon an open hearse, and every outward mark of respect was paid to it by the people. The family of the deceased were in the usual funeral coaches, and there were present on foot, Sir Charles Dilke, M.P., Professor Fawcett, M.P., Mr. Burt, M.P., Mr. Cowen, M.P., Mr. Macdonald, M.P., Professor Beesley, Dr. Bridges, Mr. F. Harrison, Mr. George Jacob Holyoake, the Rev. G. M. Murphy, and in carriages Sir John Bennett, Mr. Mundella, M.P., Miss Helen Taylor, &c. The procession passed through the Seven Dials into Cranbourne Street, thence to Piccadilly, and so down to the Fulham Road. Throughout the whole route the long procession was protected from the traffic of the streets by the police, and, with the exception of parts in Piccadilly, great crowds lined the way. Order was maintained throughout until the gates of the cemetery were reached, when dense moving throngs of people who had accompanied the procession by walking on either side became wedged in, and a scene of great confusion arose, attended with no little danger to life and limb. The rougher parts of the crowd were ungovernable, and hustled the procession, clambered over tombs, and scrambled over graves. Around the open grave some climbed into the trees. The chaplain of the cemetery read the service of the Church of England over the grave, his voice, while standing in the dense mass of human beings, being most distinctly heard, the only interruption being from the sobbing women whom the dead man had left to mourn his loss. The minister left the grave, and then Professor Beesley, Professor Fawcett, and the Rev. G. M. Murphy addressed the assemblage. The people lingered about the grave for some time, and all had an opportunity of seeing the polished oak coffin and the brass plate, upon which, in large letters, stood the words, "Mr. George Odger, died March 4, 1877, sixtythree years of age."

THE LATE LADY AUGUSTA STANLEY.-Her Majesty the Queen has caused a monumental cross to be erected at Frogmore, in Windsor Park, in memory of Lady Augusta Stanley. It is of

« PreviousContinue »