Page images

SELMA, ALABAMA, April 5, 1865.

MAJOR-I have the honor to make the following report of operations on the first and second in


pany A, was the first man on the works, and
was instantly killed. The regiment continued
in the charge, after passing the first line of
works, assisting in capturing one lunette with
two guns, and another with five. Lieutenant-
Colonel George W. Dobb, commanding regiment,
was wounded near the works, and died shortly

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient ser-
Captain Commanding Fourth Obio Volunteer Cavalry.
Major R. BURNS,

On the first, the regiment marched forty-six miles, but took no part in the engagement. On the second instant marched in advance of division toward this place, skirmishing occasionally with the enemy's rear guard until within sight of his works, when two battalions (the Third battalion having been sent to the right of the road) were deployed as skirmishers (mounted), but did not advance until the first line of the enemy's works was captured, when they were ordered to charge the second line of works on the enemy's left, in rear of the Fourth United States cavalry, which was repulsed. The regiment was then dismounted and marched into town, meeting with but slight resist-following report of the part taken by the batance, capturing about forty (40) prisoners and several horses and mules. The casualties were six men wounded, none dangerously.

The Third battalion (sent to the right) found the enemy in force, and, after a skirmish, were forced to return by a circuitous route to avoid being captured to the main road, and follow the column. The loss sustained was two men wounded, one commanding officer (Lieutenant D. E. Lewis, Company M) and seven enlisted men captured. Total loss of regiment eight men wounded, one commanding officer and seven men captured.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Major Commanding Third Volunteer Ohio Cavalry.
A. A. A. G., Second Brigade, Second Division C. E., M. D. M.

MACON, GEORGIA, April 30, 1865.

A. A. A. G., Second Brigade.

MACON, GEORGIA, May 6, 1865.
CAPTAIN-I have the honor to submit the

tery under my command in the late campaign:

The battery left Chickasaw, Alabama, on the morning of March twenty-second, marching in connection with the division via Cherokee station, on the road leading to Frankfort, as directed by the orders of the commanding General, marching this day about twenty-two miles, over roads naturally very bad, but rendered much worse by the recent rain and the passage of the wagon train in advance of us. On the twenty-third continued the march, camping with the division at Frankfort, Alabama. Thus the march was continued, in close connection with the division, until one o'clock P. M. of March twenty-seventh, when I received orders to move my battery off the road, and wait for the pontoon train to pass. This I did, the First brigade being in the immediate vicinity, and, as I learned from its commander, was also waiting for the passage of the pontoon train. The rear of this train hardly passed my command wheu it found itself with nearly the entire train stuck in the mud; and, as it was now getting dark and raining hard, the road being completely blockaded by the pontoon train, in absence of orders from the division commander, I put my command into camp, and waited until the morning of the twenty-eighth, when, marching at five o'clock, I attempted to rejoin the division, but found the road still blockaded by the pontoon train, and the soil of such a quicksand nature as to render it almost impossible to move out of the beaten road, but by using my entire force of cannoneers as a pioneer party, and taking a circuitous route through the woods, I was enabled, after about two hours' labor, by this means to repass the pontoon train and secure the road; and, reaching headquarters of the division at eleven MAJOR-I have the honor to report that this o'clock, I received orders from the Brigadierregiment was not engaged in the action of the General commanding to move on and join the first instant. On the second instant it formed First brigade beyond Jasper; but, upon reachthe right of the Second brigade, Second divi- ing Jasper, I was unable to ascertain the direct sion, and was immediately on the left of the road taken by the First brigade, and I thereFirst brigade, Second division, dismounted. It fore moved my battery on the direct road leadparticipated in the charge of the enemy's works, ing to the ford by which it was expected the and was among the first to enter them, captur- command would cross the Black Warrior river. ing one gun. Corporal John H. Booth, Com-I arrived with my battery at this ford about

MAJOR-I have the honor to forward herewith the battle-flag of the Twelfth Mississippi cavalry, Confederate States of America, which was captured, with the commanding officer of the regiment, Major Cox, on the fifteenth instant, about six miles from Tuskegee, Alabama, by John H. Shoup, private, Company H, Third Ohio cavalry.

He is very desirous of retaining it, if he can be allowed to do so,

I am, very respectfully, your obedient ser


Major Commanding Regiment.

SELMA, ALABAMA, April 5, 1865.

five o'clock that evening and encamped, learning that the Second brigade would be there also that evening. On the morning of the twenty-ninth I moved my battery across the Black Warrior river, complying with the orders of the division commander, and moving in connection with the division, camped about a mile south of Cane creek and eighteen miles from Elyton. On the morning of the thirtieth, after marching some four miles on the road leading to Elyton, the streams were found to be so much swollen by the rain of the night previous, as to make it impracticable to ford them with my battery, and I was ordered by the division commander to move back on this road, recross Cane creek, and take the road leading to the left, by which I was compelled to make a circuitous march of thirty-lade a long line of the enemy's works on my six miles to reach Elyton, where I arrived at eight o'clock P.M., but not finding the division at that point, and in the absence of orders, my horses being very much fatigued by the excessive march over bad roads, I encamped; soon after which I learned from Colonel Minty, commanding Second brigade, that he was then with his command about two miles from me, and would move at four o'clock A. M. on the thirty-first. I called on Colonel Minty in person that night, and decided to move in connection with him until I could rejoin the division, which I did at ten o'clock P. M. of April first, at Plantersville, having marched that day forty-nine miles.

Up to this time the only obstacle encountered by my command was the very bad roads, the nature and condition of which is, of course, so well known to the division commander, as to make any description of them unnecessary in this report.

On the morning of April second, at half-past seven o'clock, I again moved my battery in connection with the division, as per order of the division commander, on the road to Selma, Ala., in front of which I arrived about three o'clock P. M., and took up a position about two miles from the city on the Summerfield road, and awaiting further orders from the division commander. My position at this time was about fourteen hundred (1,400) yards from the strong works of the enemy, behind which he was posted. At about half-past four o'clock, at an interview with the division commander, I was notified that the line was about to make the assault upon the works of the enemy, who had already commenced the use of his artillery upon our line. I was further directed to conform the movements of my battery as much as I could to the movements and advance of our line, and to direct my fire so as to produce the most effect upon the enemy, and to render the most assistance to the advance of the line making the assault. I therefore decided that as the line advanced to advance one section of my battery as close to the enemy's works as the nature of the ground would permit, that my fire could be directed with more precision and effect. Noticing movements in the line on my right which I supposed to be an advance, I moved one sec

tion forward, about four hundred yards, thus exposing both its flanks to an almost direct fire from the enemy's artillery, while he was using it upon me directly in my front. As I was thus in an advanced and very exposed position with this section, and having mistaken the movement of the line for an immediate advance, I withdrew this section to my first position, and kept up my firing from that point until the line moved forward to the assault, when I moved my whole battery forward to the advance position referred to, replying rapidly to the fire of the enemy's artillery until it was silenced by the close approach of our men to the works, which in a moment more were in their possession. From this advanced position I was able to partially enfileft, which was being enfiladed by the fire of our forces that had carried the works to my right and front, causing the enemy to seek shelter outside of the breastworks, and between them and the palisades, under the protection of which he was endeavoring to make his escape. Noticing this I directed the fire of two of my guns down this line, and with good effect. At the same time I ordered one section, under Lieutenant Griffin, to advance inside the works, now in our possession, for the purpose of engaging the rebel artillery that had now opened upon our line from works close up to town, riding forward myself to select the position for the section. The road was now being rapidly filled by an advancing column of mounted troops, which.prevented this section from getting up as promptly as I desired; but I soon had it in position, closely followed by the balance of my battery, and opened upon the inner line of works, which, like the first, was soon in the possession of our troops, and rendering further firing unnecessary.

Receiving no further orders, and having learned that the Brigadier-General commanding had been wounded early in the engagement, I held my battery awaiting orders from his successor, which I received from Colonel R. H. G. Minty late in the evening to go into camp. I have no losses to report during this engagement.

On the morning of April third, by direction of the Colonel commanding division, I proceeded to destroy the captured ordnance along the line of works, of which the following is a memoranda, viz.: thirty-pounder Parrott gun, one; fourteen-pounder iron guns (old model), five; twelve-pounder light guns, four; threeinch rifled guns, three; twelve-pounder howitzers, three; six-pounder rifled guns (brass), two; mountain howitzers, two. Total, twenty guns, with carriages. These guns were spiked, the trunions knocked off of the most of them, rendering them entirely useless until recast. The carriages and limbers, with field caissons, were burned. I also caused to be destroyed about four thousand three hundred rounds of ammunition. On the evening of April fifth I received orders from the Colonel commanding

to have a section in readiness at midnight to accompany an expedition that was to be sent out. This section was furnished under comimand of Lieutenant Griffin, returning to Selma, after an absence of twenty-four hours, having marched about forty miles. On the afternoon of April eighth I crossed the Alabama river with my battery, and encamped with the division on the road leading to Montgomery and five miles from Selma. On the evening of the ninth, in obedience to the orders of the Colonel commanding, I proceeded with one section of my battery to the Alabama river, at a point some six miles above Selma, with instructions to watch for and prevent any boats passing down the river. On the morning of the tenth I was ordered back to my encampment, not having had occasion to use my guns, and shortly afterwards resumed the march in connection with the division toward Montgomery, encountering very bad roads, and camping at eight o'clock P. M. near Benton. Resuming the march on the eleventh found the roads at times almost impassable, requiring much labor of a pioneer character, keeping the command up and on the road all of that night. Continued the march during the twelfth, and camped at Catoma creek. On the morning of the thirteenth I marched my battery in connection with the division through Montgomery, camping seven miles east of it. On the fourteenth the march was resumed toward Columbus, Georgia, at which place the command arrived on the seventeenth, from thence to Macon, Georgia, where it arrived on the evening of April twentieth.

In view of the fact of the division commander being always in the immediate vicinity of the command, I can hardly feel justified in making so lengthy a report, and any report of the operations and movements of my battery would seem to be almost unnecessary.

It will be observed that this battery has marched in twenty-one days upwards of six hundred miles, varying from twenty-two to forty-nine miles each day, or at an average of about thirty-miles, which in consideration of the very bad condition of the roads for a large part of this distance, I consider almost unprecedented in the movements of artillery. I am, Captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

GEO. J. ROBINSON, Captain Commanding Battery. Captain T. W. SCOTT, A. A. A. G., Second Division C. C., M. D. M.

HEADQUARTERS SEVENTH PENNSYLVANIA CAVALRY, MAJOR-I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken in the engagement of the second instant in front of Selma, Alabama: The regiment went into action with three field and staff officers, ten line officers, and three hundred and fifty-three enlisted men. We formed on the left of the brigade, covering the Summerfield road.

As we advanced the enemy from his entrench

ments poured deadly volleys into our ranks, but without a check the works in our front were carried, and the rebels driven in confusion before us. Portions of Companies "E and I," led by Lieutenant Sigmund (who was killed just at the moment of victory), were among the first to enter the works, taking possession of a fort with one piece of artillery, caissons, and twelve prisoners. We followed closely after the discomfited enemy, but a dense and swampy_woods prevented our inflicting much damage. Emerging from the timber we found the rebels under shelter of some interior works, cotton bales and old buildings. They were soon flying from this point, and we were in possession of six additional pieces of artillery, including one thirtypounder and one twelve-pounder Parrott, with many prisoners. At this juncture we were directed by Colonel Minty, commanding division, to halt and reform, and were afterwards held in reserve.

The forts containing the Parrott gun mounted seven, others which were taken by the men of the Seventh Pennsylvania and Fourth Ohio, but are not included in the capture of this regiment. Sergeant Seigfæid, Company "F," was the first in the fort, followed closely by Sergeant Bickel, Company "I," with the regimental colors, Sergeant John Ennis, standard bearer, having fallen mortally wounded in the charge on the outer works. In the work most of the gunners were taken with their pieces.

The regiment captured one hundred and ninety-eight prisoners, seven pieces of artillery, and two hundred and forty-muskets and rifles; the latter were destroyed on the field.

Our casualties were one line officer killed, one field officer and three line officers wounded, one enlisted man killed, and forty-seven wounded.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment.

HEADQUARTERS ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-THIRD ILLINOIS VOLUNTEERS, SELMA, ALA., April 6, 1865. CAPTAIN-I have the honor to transmit you a report of the part taken in the fight with General Forrest, at Mapleville station, on the afternoon of the first instant, and in the assault and capture of Selma, on the evening of the second instant, by the One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois volunteers, mounted infantry.

Early in the afternoon of the first instant, after our scouts and advance guard had skirmished for some twenty miles with two or three battalions of rebels, killing, wounding, and capturing some along the whole route, on reaching Mapleville station, on the Selma railroad, the enemy was found in considerably stronger force; and as our advance guard had been temporarily repulsed, our brigade was ordered forward, dismounted in line, One Hundred and Twentythird Illinois occupying the right centre of the brigade. We advanced through the woods a mile or more, reaching a slough over which

skirmishers immediately hurried, on a sort of old dam, and pursued the routed enemy, who were flying in the wildest confusion from General Upton, who charged opportunely on our left. They succeeded in capturing quite a number of prisoners, and in conjunction with the cavalry ran the enemy away before the main line could effect a crossing of the slough. Our horses coming up we mounted and moved to Plantersville station, and went into camp for the night. We sustained no loss. Our skirmishers brought in eight prisoners.

were nearing the city itself, when General Upton came dashing through the outer works, and mistaking us for the enemy fired on us until we signalled him who we were. He then charged (his men mounted) right into town and after the retreating enemy. Our forces being almost tired down, we were halted by Colonel Minty near the place where our brigade encamped on the night of the second instant, on the field in the suburbs of Selma.

My regiment went into action with fourteen commissioned officers and two hundred and forty-nine enlisted men. Our loss was one officer killed, Lieutenant Otho J. McManus, who fell just before reaching the works while gallantly leading his men, and six officers wounded, seven men killed, and forty-two wounded. It is unnecessary to make particular mention of either officers or men. All did their duty and deserve the highest praise. Sergeant John Morgan, Company "I," is deserving the highest credit for his gallantry in being the first to plant a flag upon the rebel works, and for being in the extreme advance until all the rebel forts were captured, planting our colors on each of them successively. The officers wounded are Lieu

We moved on the morning of the second day of April at nine o'clock for Selma, Alabama. Marched twenty-one miles, and at a quarter-past three o'clock, the advance of our division arrived before the formidable works of Selma, when the enemy defiantly sallied out and made demonstrations as if about to attack us. The One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois volunteers was ordered up in line in front of the works on the north-west side of the city, dismounted, and formed on the left of the line joining the Seventeenth Indiana on the right. After driving the enemy inside their works we lay for a short time skirmishing to good effect, until arrangements being perfected for a permanent forma-tenant-Colonel Jonathan Biggs, Captain William tion of the line preparatory to the assault, we were moved by the right flank past Colonel Minty's brigade, which had been formed on our right, and formed on the right of his brigade, just behind a slight ridge a half mile from the rebel works, my regiment occupying the left of our brigade, the Ninety-eighth Illinois the centre, and Seventeenth Indiana the right. Throwing

E. Adams, and Lieutenant Alexander P. McNutt severely, and Captain Owen Wiley, Adjutant Levi B. Bane, and Lieutenant J. R. Harding slightly.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain Commanding Regiment.

forward two men from a company out of this Captain O. F. BANE,
A. A. A. G.. First Brigade.

SELMA, ALA., April 7, 1865.

[ocr errors]

Captain O. F. Bane, A. A. A. G., First Brigade, &c.

their lines for skirmishers, at General Long's "forward" the entire line started up with a bound, yelling, shouting, and all pushing forward under a most terrific cannonade, and through a perfect storm of bullets, losing officers and men at every step, until we cleared the SIR-I have the honor to report that my reghigh picket fence, crossed the ditch and scalediment was not actively engaged on the first inthe high earthworks, and planted our regimental standard first of any in the command on the works of Selma. The most of our men who were hurt fell killed or wounded almost at the rebel works, where we struck and scaled the works; and the rebels, who had fought us so desperately as to club their guns on some of our men broke and fled, we following them on through the thick swampy woods, while we could only hear the roar of the conflict, and the shouts of our comrades on the right and left, but could see nothing. At the edge of the woods Lieutenant-Colonel Biggs, commanding regiment, was severely wounded while leading the regiment rapidly and resistlessly forward, Captain Adams the next ranking officer having been wounded before we reached the works. I assumed command of the regiment about the time Colonel Vail took command of the brigade (Colonel Miller having been wounded). We captured prisoners by the score. fort after fort, with their guns, until we had reached and Previous to change of position I was ordered planted our flag on the three inner forts, and I to furnish a detail of four companies to proceed

stant,near Plantersville. My regiment dismounted and formed on the left of the Seventy-second Indiana, and moved forward (without encountering the enemy) until we reached the creek, where I moved by the left flank to our horses. On the morning of the second instant, the Ninety-eighth Illinois held the advance of the brigade, and upon arriving within one mile of the enemy's works in front of Selma, on the Summerfield road, was quickly dismounted, and formed in line under the cover of the hill in front of the enemy's works, on the left of the Second brigade, and supporting the battery on the hill. Skirmishers were immediately thrown forward. Remained in this position from about two P. M. until near four and a half P. M., when I was ordered to change position, and move to the right of the Second brigade, forming on the left of the Seventeenth Indiana, under cover of a ridge, the One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois forming on my left.

in search of a wagon train in direction of Summerfield. Captain Montry, of Company H, was ordered to take charge of Companies H, G, F, and K, for that purpose. Details had been made for picket upon my regiment in the morning, so that my effective force in action consisted of but one hundred and sixty-one enlisted men, and eleven officers. I formed my regiment in single rank, directing the men to reserve their fire until near enough the enemy to be effective. At about five P. M. orders were given to move forward, when within about four hundred yards of the enemy's works the whole line moved forward at double-quick under a severe fire of musketry and artillery. My regiment went through the stockade (or picket works) over the ditch and breastworks in a gallant style, encountering the enemy hand to hand in their works, compelling many to surrender, and the rest to retire in confusion.

The left flank of the Ninety-eighth Illinois and the right flank of the One Hundred and Twentythird Illinois charging over better ground, were first to enter the enemy's works. The point first struck by my regiment was that fronting the bridge over the ravine on the Summerfield road, and between the two redoubts. After passing the enemy's line of works, the Seventeenth Indiana bore to the right, and the One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois to the left, thus leaving a large interval to be covered by the Ninety-eighth Illinois. I moved forward as fast as possible towards the city, passing squads of the enemy who had thrown away their guns, and whom I ordered to the rear. The enemy from the lower part of the city and the fortifications on my right, kept up a continuous but harmless fire of musketry and artillery upon my command, whilst I was moving up to a position near the cotton gin in front of the passenger depot. There I rallied my regiment to resist what seemed to be a thousand cavalry charge by the enemy, who were forming near the saltpetre works; soon after this Colonel Vail, who had assumed command of brigade (Colonel Miller being wounded), ordered me to form fronting the city, and hold the regiment ready for any emergency.

Lieutenant Wheelers, Company I, and a squad from the Ninety-eighth Illinois, with squads from the One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois and the Second brigade, were first to enter the fort in front of the city, and take possession of the four guns therein. Lieutenant Junkins, Company B, and six men from Company B, became separated from this regiment after passing the enemy's line of works, and moved forward and fought with the Seventeenth Indiana.

My regiment remained in line under fire of! musketry from the city, until the Fourth division charged into the city, on the Burnville road, went into camp near saltpetre works at ten P. M.

Some seventy or more of the enemy were captured by my regiment in works, and within two hundred yards after passing the same. I ordered all the prisoners to the rear, but on acVOL. XI.-Dc


count of the paucity of my command could not spare any men to guard them. I kept my men together until after we went into camp, and did not permit them to straggle or go in search of plunder or captured property in the city, although quite a number of them following the general example did find their way there during the night time. The enlisted men of my regiment fought as they always have, nobly and bravely. The officers, Captain Hoffman, Company B, Captain Flood, Company E, Captain Thistlewood, Company G, Captain Stanford, Company A, Captain Banta, Company I, Lieunant Spurgen, Company K, Lieutenant Junkins, Company B, Lieutenant Boes, Company E, and Lieutenant Wheeler, Company I, all acquitted themselves in a becoming and praiseworthy manner. Captains Hoffman and Flood, senior line officers and acting field officers, were especially useful in that capacity. Captain Thistlewood, of Company E, after being severely wounded in the right leg, kept up with the command for over a mile. Adjutant Adenknoph, whilst bravely encouraging the men on the right flank to charge the enemy's works, fell severely wounded in the left thigh, across the ravine in front of the picket works.

The loss of the Ninety-eighth Illinois is as follows: Enlisted-killed upon the field, nine; mortally wounded, two, both since dead; severely wounded, eleven; slightly wounded, ten; commissioned officers, severely wounded, two; slightly, three: Total killed and wounded, thirty-nine. Effective force engaged-Enlisted, one hundred and sixty-one; officers, eleven. Í do not claim for my regiment the exclusive honor of entering the enemy's works first, but I do claim that the left flank of my regiment were upon the works as soon as the men from any other regiment.

Captain Montry, Company H, in command of the four companies detailed from the Ninetyeighth Illinois, proceeded to Summerfield, driving the enemy's pickets through the town until he came to the enemy in force, supposed to be fifteen hundred or two thousand strong, being a portion of Forrest's command moving towards Marion; not finding any wagon train he returned to camp without loss.

The officers and men of the Ninety-eighth Illinois under my command on the second instant, did their duty cheerfully, manfully, and without once faltering. I only claim for them a fair and equal share of "all the honors and all the glory" attached to the capture of Selma. Respectfully, your obedient servant, E. KITCHELL, Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Ninety-eighth Illinois.


25, 1865.

Captain T. W. Scott, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Division Cavalry Corps: SIR-I have the honor to send (in accordance with your order) four rebel flags, marked by whom captured.

« PreviousContinue »