Page images

own company, who reached this place last evening, reports that he and two others were captured by the rebels near Lagrange, Tennessee, and were tied together with a rope, and then shot. His two companions fell dead, while he was only wounded in the left arm, and by a dexterous movement slipped the rope over his head and miraculously escaped to the brush while they were firing at him. This is but a single instance among many that might be mentioned.

To the colored troops this has been but a reenactment of the Fort Pillow massacre. Reports reach us from all quarters, of the brutal murder of our colored soldiers and their officers, who had the misfortune to fall into the hands of the enemy. That our government does not institute retaliatory measures for such barbarous treatment of its soldiers, is becoming the wonderment of all, and of vital interest to the officers in our colored regiments.

These troops, in the late expedition, were under the command of Colonel Edward Bouton, of the Fifty-ninth United States infantry, and received many compliments from white regiments for their bravery and unflinching obstinacy in repelling the enemy while on the retreat from Guntown. As a general thing the colored soldiers retained their arms and accoutrements, and many a white soldier has said since our return that he owed his escape to the colored troops.

Doc. 31.



FRANKFORT, June 18, 1864.

[ocr errors]

Their names, together with those chivalric and brave men from other parts of our common country who took part in the defence, shall be enrolled and preserved among the archives of the State as worthy of their country's highest meed of praise. THOS. E. BRAMLETTE, Governor of Kentucky.



GENERAL: I have the honor to submit the following report of the defence of the State capital against the recent attack of a detachment of General John H. Morgan's guerrilla forces.

The capture of the morning train from Louisville, on the eighth instant, was the first intimation had of the presence of the enemy in this section of the State. Supposing the cutting of the road to have been the work of some small marauding band of horse-thieves, who would immediately endeavor to escape, I ordered a detachment of the First Kentucky Scouts to take the road as soon as possible, and march by the way of Mount Eden to Taylorsville, on which route it was thought the depredators could either be intercepted or their whereabouts ascertained. Before the scouts could march, however, we learned that Morgan in force had succeeded in getting in between us and the United States forces, under command of BrigadierGeneral S. G. Burbridge; had captured Mount Sterling and Paris; and had burnt the bridges on the Kentucky Central Railroad. These events, occurring on the same day the road was cut between here and Louisville, presented the view of concerted action, and led to the belief that the enemy had an objective point somewhere between the break in the Central Railroad at Paris, and that upon the road from here to Louisville. This place, it seemed to me, held out greater inducements to him than any other; inasmuch as here he could strike the greatest blow to the State by the destruction of the public records, &c.; and could arm his new recruits, whom he was rapidly mounting, as he passed along, upon the finest stock ever produced in the Blue Grass region. In addition to this, General Burbridge, having come upon his rear, as we were informed by special courier, was pressing The young men of Frankfort, and from Peak's him with the utmost vigor. Here he could proMill and Bald Knob precincts, who so nobly ral- cure artillery, and cross his command in a few lied to the defence, and, with the dauntless nerve hours; and, destroying the bridges, avoid, or so of veterans, met a foe superior in numbers and delay pursuit as to be able to strike the Louisrepulsed him, and who stood ready and pre-ville and Nashville Railroad with impunity. pared to defend the capital against Morgan's en- In view of these conclusions, which subsetire band of thieves, who were expected every quent events proved to be correct, it was deterhour to assail them, have set an example of he- mined not to send any part of the cavalry away; roic patriotism which should thrill every Ken- and by direction of his Excellency the Govertucky heart with pride, and nerve every Ken-nor, the militia of the county-the Thirty-sixth tucky arm for similar deeds of courageous and |regiment—under Colonel Keenon, was ordered manly self-defence. out and the various roads picketed. The rail

As various statements have gone forth in reference to the assault upon this city by the rebels, it is deemed proper to give to the public the official report of General Lindsey, InspectorGeneral of Kentucky.

I will remark that General Lindsey's sleepless vigilance, tireless energy, and superior efficiency, aided by Colonel George W. Monroe, of the Twenty-second Kentucky Infantry, AdjutantGeneral John Boyle, and Quartermaster-General S. G. Suddarth, Kentucky is mainly indebted for the security of her capital, with its valuable public property.

[ocr errors]

road being again open to Louisville, exertions were made to ship the public papers and stores of every kind to that place. All night long the work of loading the train was kept up, until every car was filled to its utmost capacity. It is useless to say that the officers of the various departments and their clerks discharged their laborious duties with diligence.

On the morning of the ninth, the train contain ing the public property, with a guard, composed of the clerks of the various offices, and volunteers from the militia and strangers in the city-all under the command of Mr. J. B. Tilford, of the Adjutant-General's office-started for Louisville. When nearing Pleasureville the road was discovered to be on fire. The engine was immediately reversed, and the train attacked by guerrillas. The guard succeeded in defending the train, on which a running fire was kept up for several miles, and, notwithstanding the road was obstructed with rails, &c., every two or three hundred yards, the train and guards uninjured reached the depot at 7:15 o'clock P. M.

The enrolled militia of this city, Peak's Mill precinct, and other parts of the county, had been collecting during the day. A squad under Captain Sanford Goins were sent to man the guns in the fort; a small guard being at the arsenal, the remainder were placed in barracks near the city.

Finding it impossible for me to attend to all the details and at the same time exercise general command, I availed myself of the services of Colonel George W. Monroe, Twenty-second Kentucky infantry, who at all times has been found willing to respond to the call of his country and State, and placed him in command of forces for the purpose of organizing and distributing them, with orders to report from time to time to these headquarters.

On the morning of the tenth, the militia force was collected at the Arsenal for equipment, and then, by Colonel Monroe, distributed between the fort, the arsenal, and the bridge leading to South Frankfort.

I sent a special messenger through to Louis-. ville, with an order to Colonel Gathright, commanding the militia of Jefferson county, to turn out his command for service, and to act, on consultation with Mr. Gill, the Superintendent of the railroad, in establishing connection between here and Louisville, leaving a sufficient guard at the most important points for the protection of the road. Lieutenant-Colonel Craig was sent from here with a company, composed of detachments from the First Kentucky scouts and the militia, as a guard to a construction train, with orders to repair whatever damage had been done to this end of the road. This expedition returned in the evening, without being able to accomplish their mission. Colonel Craig found the enemy posted in the stockade near Benson bridge, and, charging them, drove them out and across the creek, capturing two horses, with the loss of one man wounded and three missing;

what damage he did the enemy he was unable to ascertain.

These persistent efforts to stop all use of the Louisville and Frankfort Railroad demonstrated that we were in danger; and when the news was received that Morgan was at Georgetown, no one could doubt his intentions. We, here in Frankfort, were not long in finding out what those intentions were.

About seven o'clock P. M., tenth instant, a picket came into my headquarters and announeed that the enemy were advancing on the Georgetown pike. The detachment of scouts had been ordered, but a short time before, to be prepared to strengthen the pickets on any road that might be threatened. They were immediately sent out the Georgetown pike. Colonel Monroe and myself accompanied them as far as the cemetery gate, when I was informed by a picket stationed to the left of the road, in position to see the Owenton pike, that a large force was advancing on that road. Hearing nothing from the pickets stationed at Hord's house, I rather doubted the information, and leaving Colonel Monroe to defend the Georgetown pike, I took six mounted men and started out on the Owenton road. I had not gone far when I discovered the enemy moving up the hill to attack the fort. Ordering the cavalry that were with me to make for the fort by the road leading up the hill next to the river, I made my way up the hill, reaching the summit just in time to see the men driven from the advanced gun and the enemy take possession of it. I was met by a large number of negroes, who had been used in building a redoubt, and who were running for the fort. I changed their course, and made them go down the hill, to the left near the river. No negroes were allowed in the fort. I had no intention of using them as soldiers, and knowing that if the enemy should succeed in taking the place they would be murdered, I ordered them from the hill.

By this time the enemy, about sixty strong, were advancing rapidly upon the fort, from the direction of the gun they had captured; a portion taking shelter behind a stone wall, under cover of which they could approach nearer the fort. As I rode around to the entrance, I observed about twenty-five of the enemy moving in the direction of the ravine on the west slope of the hill, a short distance north of the fort. I gave the command" fire," and with a few rounds the enemy were repulsed; as they were also in two succeeding assaults.

In the first assault, Major T. J. Hutchinson and John Coleman, of the Thirty-sixth Enrolled Militia of Franklin county, were wounded while working the guns in the fort. Major Hutchinson was wounded in the face, and John Coleman in the breast, both seriously, but neither mortally. Information was received through prisoners, that the enemy lost five men wounded; and there was one horse captured by us.

Hostilities having ceased for a while, and Colonel Monroe arriving, it was concluded to

send a detachment for each of the two guns outside of the fort. Colonel Monroe commanded | one of the detachments in person, and Mr. Thos. Buford, of Woodford county, the other. This work they accomplished. These guns were covered by a fire from the fort; had they not been, the presence of mind of young Frank Gray in bringing away the friction primers would have prevented the enemy from using them against us.

of the city having been turned over to Colonel Jordan, the militia were relieved from duty, and were addressed by General Harlan on behalf of his Excellency Governor Bramlette.

The citizens of this city and the State at large are under obligations to Colonel Monroe for his services in defence of the Capital, and I here tender him my thanks for his valuable assistance to me.

I here make honorable mention of the volunToo much credit cannot be awarded to Ser-teer militia under General Harlan and Captain geant Johnson, of the Second Maryland; Captain Hewitt, who rendered efficient services in guardSan. Goins, of this place; Mr. Albert Bayliss, of ing the railroad bridges during the night of the Shelby; and Mr. J. B. Gibson, of Cincinnati, fifteenth instant. the latter an old Kentucky Military Institute cadet; and also Captain Fletcher, U. S. A., and Mr. Schwitzker, for their bravery and efficiency in handling the guns in the fort.

This defence would have been creditable to the militia, had their number been sufficient to have lined the parapet from one end to the other; but I am satisfied that, when the first assault was made, there were not over forty men in the fort.

Waiting until after midnight to see if the attack would be renewed, I then turned the command of the fort over to Colonel Monroe, and rode down to the city for the purpose of visiting the arsenal and other points of defence. At the arsenal I found yourself in command, aided by Quartermaster-General Suddarth, and everything in preparation for its defence. The bridge was effectually guarded by a detachment under command of Captain Jno. M. Hewitt.

About daylight I relieved Colonel Monroe. The enemy were found to be occupying all the roads leading into the city. Several attempts were made by them to approach the arsenal through the cemetery and by the railroad, but the shells thrown from the guns at the fort, and a gun at the arsenal kept them back. The enemy showing themselves frequently on the hills southwest of the city, two guns (twentypound Parrotts) at the fort under charge of Messrs. Gibson, Bayliss, and Buford, shelled them with considerable effect, as it was learned that five were killed and five wounded, and several dead horses mark the localities at which they fell. A flag of truce appearing, the firing ceased. I will here state that during the suspension of hostilities occasioned by the entrance of the flag of truce, the enemy were discovered on the north side of the river, advancing through the cemetery, and by my orders they were shelled. For further particulars I refer you to Colonel Monroe's report which I here with transmit to you.

On the morning of the twelfth instant, General Harlan, with a detachment, recon noitered the hills on the south side of the river, from the Louisville turnpike gate around to the railroad, without discovering any indication of the enemy. In the evening of the same day Colonel Jordan, of the Ninth Pennsylvania cavalry, arrived with his command.

On the morning of the thirteenth, the command VOL. XI.-Doc.


Quartermaster-General Suddarth, with the assistance of Quartermaster Armer, Mr. Poynter, and Lieutenant Venable, Quartermaster of the Thirty-sixth regiment enrolled militia, attended in an efficient manner to the duties of the Quartermaster's and Commissary's departments.

Colonel Keenon and the officers and men under his command deserve especial praise for their prompt response to the call of his Excellency the Governor. The Thirty-sixth regiment have furnished another evidence of the loyalty of the militia, and of the fact that they are ready and willing to defend their State whenever called on to do so.

The presence of his Excellency the Governor and Attorney-General Harlan animated the men, and contributed very materially to the defence of the fort.

I am under obligations to W. A. Gaines and George Watson, volunteer aides, for the prompt manner in which they discharged their duties. Very respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

D. W. LINDSEY, Inspector-General Kentucky.


FRANKFORT, June 18, 1864.

Inspector-General D. W. Lindsey:
SIR: I beg leave to submit the following re-
port of the operations during the three days'
siege of Frankfort:

In compliance with special orders from Headquarters Kentucky State Guard, of date June ninth, I assumed command of the active forces in and around the city, and proceeded directly to place the city in a position for defence. The following gentlemen were appointed on my staff: Captain J. M. Mills, A. A. A. G. and Chief of Staff; Lieutenants John M. Hewitt, jr., Yoder Brown, and John A. Crittenden, Aides-de-Camp. I instructed Colonel Ed. Keenon, commanding Thirty-sixth regiment enrolled militia, and Lieutenant Denton, commanding Kentucky Scouts, to report to me immediately the available force under their command. The reports were promptly furnished; and I ascertained that my active force, consisting of cavalry and infantry, amounted to only one hundred and eighty-three With this force I had to defend the fort, arsenal, bridges, and all the roads leading into


town. Feeling that the situation was a critical aware of the force defending the fort, from the one, and determining to resist to the last any manner of assault, and desperation with which attack which should be made and, thinking it was made. At this juncture, you, with the six the fort the better point for resistance, I ordered men with you, had attempted to ascend the Colonel Keenon to summon the remainder of his Eastern slope of the hill and reach the fort; but regiment and occupy the fort, with instructions being intercepted by the rapid approach of the to all detachments who were defending the en- enemy, and a long line of abatis in your front, trances to the town to fall back upon that point, the cavalry were compelled to deploy around the in case they could not hold their positions. I brow of the hill to the left while you dauntlessly inspected the fort, and found the ordnance and pushed your way through the abatis, being stores in good condition, but no regular artillery closely pursued and fired upon almost to the force to man the guns. I then directed Colonel very gate on the western end of the fort. Keenon to furnish Sergeant Johnson, of the Second Maryland infantry, with a force from his command to work the cannon, which being done, I commenced, in order to strengthen the position, the construction of two redoubts, with a line of rifle-pits to protect them, immediately in the rear of the fort-impressing for this purpose about seventy-five negro men. This work, however, the enemy did not allow me to complete, as will be shown hereafter.

After this disposition of the force, I rode to your headquarters to report, and while there received information that the enemy were advancing toward town, upon the Lexington pike, with a force estimated at two hundred. I immediately ordered Lieutenant Denton, of the scouts, to take thirty men, and ascertain the truth of this report. A few moments after the detachment started, I determined to go myself and find out the exact state of the case, as I apprehended great danger from that direction. I asked you to accompany me, which you did; and advancing up the road as far as the cemetery gate, we met the detachment returning, who reported the enemy advancing in large force. We then rallied the detachment, and dismounting a portion of them, sent them with a few infantry pickets, to the old railroad cut on the left, to drive back the force said to be advancing in that direction.

Your timely and safe arrival inspired the men with fresh courage and determination, and largely contributed to their success. The artillerists in charge of the guns at the redoubts alluded to, having no force whatever to support them, after firing one or two rounds, abandoned their position, and the enemy became so elated and emboldened as to press quickly forward across the intervening space toward the fort, making a fierce and daring assault. The result was a severe and quick repulse; every man in the walls standing to his post, and the assailants, meeting with such a steady fire and heroic re sistance, retired as hastily as they came. fighting was renewed at intervals for two hours, when the enemy retired, burning the barracks, situated near the Owenton pike.


The casualties of the assault were two wounded-Major T. J. Hutchinson, and private John Coleman of Thirty-sixth regiment of militia Neither of the wounds are mortal; and both will soon recover.

While you were thus superintending matters at the fort, I remained on the Lexington pike with my squad of cavalry, determined, if possible, to hold in check any attacking force sufficiently long for the citizens to reach the fort, but, as it was growing dark and the gunners could not see sufficiently plainly, they mistook us for the enemy, opening fire upon us, and In the meantime you had taken six men and landed a couple of shells uncomfortably near. started for the Owenton pike, with the intention I then withdrew with my men to the arsenal, of cutting off the force supposed to be in the old and, after giving them instructions, joined you railroad cut. I started with the few remaining at the fort. At midnight thirty men were seof the detachment of cavalry toward the toll-lected, and dividing into two squads, placing one gate, and arriving at the old depot on the hill, saw a squad of about twenty rebel cavalry moving on my left flank in direction of the fort. A squad of four men were seen approaching my right from the direction of Mr. Ambrose Dudley's house. Six men and a sergeant were despatched back, down the pike, to the road leading from Mr. Thomas S. Page's farm, to intercept the squad, but they did not attempt to approach the pike.

While watching the movements of the enemy on my left, the firing commenced at the fort, and looking in that direction, I could plainly see the enemy's sharpshooters ascending the knoll in front of the partially-constructed redoubts, in which cannon had been placed. I watched the engagement with feelings never before experienced-knowing that if the fort was taken, the city was doomed. The enemy was doubtless

in charge of Captain Thomas Buford, I went
out with the view of ascertaining the fate of
the guns in the redoubts, and proceeding cau-
tiously, we found them entirely unmolested in
their places, and brought them into the fort.
Owing to the vigorous fire the enemy received,
and the decided repulse, they retired so hastily
as not to even take time to spike them.
ended the conflict of Friday, the tenth.


Knowing that the attack would be renewed about daylight, if at all, every preparation was made for it; but daylight came and the old flag waved over us still.

On Saturday morning, as early as five o'clock, the enemy was discovered on the south side of the river, and at six o'clock a flag of truce was seen to approach the wooden bridge. The bearers were met on the other side by Lieutenant Armer and Mr. W. A. Gaines, volunteer Aides-de

Camp, who blindfolded them, and reported them to Captain Mills, at the north end of the bridge; they were conducted to my headquarters. I repaired thither from the fort, and the rebel officer announced himself as Adjutant Freeman, of Colonel Giltner's Fourth Kentucky Confederate cavalry, Lieutenant-Colonel Pryor commanding, and verbally demanded the unconditional surrender of the town and forces. Of course I did not recognize this irregular manner, but promptly refusing the demand, directed my staff to escort them out of the lines. Everything remained quiet until eight o'clock, when the enemy were reported in the cemetery, a few of them being visible. I directed Captain Henry Brown, in charge of the gun at the arsenal, to open fire on them, which he did, driving them to safe cover. At nine o'clock a second flag of truce made its appearance in South Frankfort, and Lieutenant Yoder Brown was despatched to receive it, with instruction not to allow the bearers to come across the bridge. In connection with Captain Mills, I rode to headquarters, and Lieutenant Brown presented the following communication:

SOUTH FRANKFORT, KY., June 11, 1864.

To the Commandant United States Forces,
Frankfort, Ky.:

Immediately after this the enemy commenced a sharp and rapid fire of musketry upon our forces stationed at the wooden bridge and the arsenal, which was kept up at intervals during the whole day, as late as five o'clock P. M., when they withdrew, taking the county road to the right of the Louisville pike. Two guns from the fort opened upon them and continued shelling until the enemy had gotten out of sight.

The casualties of the day's fight was one wounded, Mr. John M. Todd, shot in the hand at the bridge.

Apprehending no further danger from that quarter, but rather that the enemy would concentrate and attack again on this side of the river, every preparation was made to give him a warm reception, both at the fort and in town. Sunday morning, however, found all quiet, and being satisfied that the siege was abandoned, our little band was permitted to rest, having for forty-eight hours been vigilant and active at the post of duty. About five o'clock in the afternoon the Ninth Pennsylvania cavalry (Colonel Jordan commanding) arrived, and, reinforced by this fine body of men, made me feel that we were safe.

To you, General, and to our worthy Governor, too much praise cannot be awarded, for your fearless stand at the outset, and your unflinching determination to defend the city; and to SIR: As commander of the Confederate forces your constant supervision of matters throughon this side of the river, and under instruc-out must be attributed in a vast degree the suc tions from my superior, I demand the unconditional surrender of your forces, with this statement, that all will be treated as prisoners of war and private property respected. But, if a useless and stubborn resistance is made, we will not answer for the consequences in an assault.

I am, sir, respectfully,

Lieutenant-Colonel, commanding Fourth Kentucky Cavalry.

This demand I referred to you, as I considered it a question of vital interest to the city and State, and which was returned to me with instructions from his Excellency the Governor, that he would not surrender, and that no more white flags must be sent in for the purpose of making such a demand.

Under these instructions I made the following reply:

FRANKFORT, KY., June 11, 1864.

Lieutenant-Colonel Pryor, Commanding Fourth
Kentucky Confederate Cavalry, South Frank-
fort, Ky.:

SIR: Your note demanding the unconditional surrender of the forces under my command at this place has been received.

In reply, I will say, that I will not surrender.
I am, sir, respectfully,
Colonel Twenty-second Kentucky regiment, commanding.

cess I am now able to report to you. Being at home on furlough, and finding you, once my senior in command of the old Twenty-second Kentucky infantry, as General commanding the State forces, I accepted the position you were pleased to assign me much more willingly than I would have done under different circumstances.

To those citizens of the town and county, especially to the noble boys of Peak's Mill precinct, who promptly responded to the call of the commanding officer in the hour of peril and danger, all honor and praise is due. To the gallant youth of the town (for such they were), who so faithfully discharged the duties assigned them, is due the thanks of every loyal citizen. Never did veteran soldiers conduct themselves more nobly than did the little band that defended the capital.

To Captain Sanford Goins, Sergeant Johnson, Mr. Bayliss, of West Point, Mr. J. B. Gibson, of Cincinnati, and Captain Henry Brown, I am under especial obligations for efficient services in manning the artillery.

To General John H. Harlan acknowledgements are rendered for his exceedingly valuable services on frequent occasions.

To my staff-Captain J. M. Mills, A. A. A. G.; Lieutenants J. M. Hewitt, Jr., and Yoder Brown, Mr. W. A. Gaines, volunteer Aide, and Lieutenant Ramsey, Seventh Kentucky cavalry-I tender my sincere thanks for the promptness and correct manner with which they delivered

« PreviousContinue »