Page images

several ballotings, Captain Samuel D. Lowe was elected. I noticed that the captains were very popular with the first lieutenants. Perhaps the recent laws of succession in office had some influence.

"It makes us very proud to know that we are the first North Carolina Regiment to reorganize. The regiment is very large, now numbering 1,250 men.

"Considering that our original term of service would not have expired till the 21st of September, and being the first North Carolina Regiment to re-enlist and reorganize, we think very modestly, that we are entitled to some favors. We have no rifle companies. We would be glad to have two, though we are not disposed to grumble, and will cheerfully do the best we can.

"We are now realizing the privations and hardships of camp life. We often think of our comfortable quarters and the kind-hearted people of Wilmington. Some of the fair ones of Wilmington, I suspect, are remembered with more than ordinary feelings of friendship.

"We see nothing, hear nothing and know nothing here but to obey orders. A man has to be very patriotic, on good terms with his fellow soldiers, and on prodigiously good terms with himself, to see much enjoyment here; but so long as our country needs our services, we will be contented in her service wherever it may be."

This regiment, numbering 1,199 for duty, was ordered to Virginia May 2, 1862. It was armed with old smooth-bore muskets from the Fayetteville arsenal, badly altered from flint to percussion, It soon threw them away and supplied itself with more serviceable and more modern weapons gathered on the bloody battlefield in that grand old State.

On reaching Virginia it was ordered at once to Gordonsville. It remained there at Rapidan Station doing picket duty only for a short time. With the rest of the brigade it was next ordered to join Jackson in the Valley; but on reaching the foot of the Blue Ridge, it was ordered back to Hanover Courthouse. On the 26th of May it was marched through mud and rain to "Slash Church." At that time the regiment had in it "many recruits just recovering from the diseases incident to the commencement of camp life." Latham's Battery reported to General Branch from North Carolina the evening before the brigade left Hanover Courthouse "with only half enough men for the efficient service of the guns and with horses entirely untrained.”

On Tuesday morning, the 27th of May, General Branch ordered the 28th Regiment and a section of Latham's Battery, under Lieutenant J. R. Potts, to Taliaferro's Mill to capture, if possible, a reported marauding party. No one was found at the mill, and as the enemy were reported advancing on the " Old Church" road, it promptly retraced its steps, marching left in front, with flankers, and an advance guard was thrown out. On reaching the pine thicket in front of Dr. Kinney's, on the direct road to Richmond, a squad of Federals stepped into the Taliaferro Mill road, in front of the command. The colonel suspecting an ambush, halted his regiment, faced it by the rear rank, and wheeled it to the right into the thicket. It handsomely cleaned the thicket of the enemy. On reaching the road in front of Dr. Kinney's it charged with rebel yells the 25th New York Regiment, concealed in Kinney's field of standing wheat, and almost annihilated it in front of Martindale's Brigade, drawn up in line of battle and strongly supported by artillery. It was not

known then that the regiment had been cut off by an overwhelming force of infantry, artillery and cavalry, under General Fitz John Porter. It was withdrawn and reformed in the open field on the Hanover Courthouse side of Kinney's dwelling. Potts' artillery was also ordered into position, and never were two guns served more handsomely. The unequal contest was kept up for over four hours, inflicting greater damage than was sustained; and when it was found that the enemy was flanking the regiment in both directions, it was withdrawn in good order to Hanover Courthouse. On reaching St. Paul's Church, beyond the courthouse, where the road forks, and finding the enemy's batteries in position and the road to Ashland in their possession, it was ordered to take the fork to Taylorsville under a shelling. Knowing the cavalry was pursuing in force, it was thrown from the road to the field to take advantage of the crossfences. On reaching a thin strip of woods beyond the railroad, it was ordered back into the road, and directed to move as rapidly as possible to Taylorsville, while Potts unlimbered his Parrott gun in the middle of the road. The other gun had been abandoned at Kinney's, as the horses had been killed or badly wounded. This bold piece of strategy on the part of the colonel and the lieutenant of artillery intimidated the enemy's cavalry, caused them to form line of battle on the other side of the railroad, and enabled the 28th Regiment to make its escape. Already exhausted from exposure to inclement weather, from hunger, from fighting and marching, it was three days before the regiment, by a circuitous route, rejoined the

brigade on the right bank of the Chickahominy, where it was wildly and joyfully received. It was highly complimented by Generals Lee and Branch for its splendid behavior in this masterly retreat. The former was heard to remark that it was a wonder to him the whole command had not been killed or captured.

Company G, which was cut off from the regiment at Kinney's, can never forget how their brave, but frail and delicate young captain, George B. Johnston, afterward the accomplished adjutant-general of the brigade, swam the river to escape the enemy, and then swam back rather than appear to have deserted his men; how he marched as a prisoner of war from Kinney's farm to West Point in his wet clothes; how he was confined on Johnson's Island; how he read the Episcopal service regularly to his fellow-prisoners there; how he endeared himself to all in his captivity; how he was joyfully welcomed back to camp; and how, a physical wreck, he was soon forced to return home to die. A nobler, braver, purer Christian hero never lived.

From this battle at Kinney's farm, or Hanover Courthouse, as it is generally called, to the surrender at Appomattox Courthouse, the history of the brigade is the history of the regiment. It bore on its battle-flag the name of every battle in which the brigade participated.

Before the fights around Richmond, Branch's Brigade was assigned to General A. P. Hill, and became a part of the famous "Light Division." The 28th Regiment was with its brigade when it was the first, in those seven days' fights, to cross the Chicahominy at "Half Link," and clear the way for the crossing of the rest of the "Light Division" at "Meadow Bridge." When it reached Mechanicsville, on the 26th of June, it was ordered to support a battery on the left of the road. Next morning it was subjected to a short but severe artillery fire. On reaching Cold Harbor, on the 27th, it and the 7th North Carolina were ordered to the left of the road, where it behaved very handsomely, its own colonel being wounded on the head, and Colonel Campbell, of the 7th, killed with the colors of his regiment in his hands. At Frazier's Farm, on the 30th, it was on the right of the 37th North Carolina Regiment. After driving the enemy's infantry, it and the 37th gallantly charged the artillery in their front, when its colonel was shot in the face, and Colonel Lee, of the 37th, was killed. It was not actively engaged at Malvern Hill on the 1st of July. It was, however, ordered forward in the afternoon to support the forces engaged, and was under a very heavy artillery fire until some time after dark. It carried 480 into

those bloody fights and sustained a loss of twelve killed and 146 wounded.

It encamped below the city of Richmond for a short time and was then ordered, July 29th, to Gordonsville, near which place it remained until just before the battle of Cedar Run, August 9th, in which it bore a very conspicuous part. Many of the men wiped their guns out as they advanced under the hottest fire; and when infantry and cavalry had been repulsed, and General Jackson appeared on the field in its front, the men wildly cheered him and called to him to let them know what he wished done and they would do it. The loss in this fight was three killed and twenty-six wounded.

In this battle, after the enemy had been repulsed and the regiment had crossed the road to connect with General Taliaferro's command, the colonel chided a member of Company F for falling out of ranks. When the soldier replied that he was no coward but was exhausted and could go no further, the colonel took off his canteen, handed it to him, and told him to take a stiff drink" and rejoin his company. Not long after, as the colonel was passing down the line, complimenting his men for their gallantry, that brave fellow stepped out of ranks, saluted and said: " Colonel, here I am. I tell you what, that drink you gave me just now has set me up again, and I feel as though I could whip a whole regiment of Yankees." Everybody was in a good humor, and of course everybody laughed.

At the shelling across the Rappahannock on the 24th of August, the 28th was sent to the support of Braxton's and Davidson's Batteries, and a part of the regiment was thrown forward with instructions to prevent, if possible, the destruction of the bridge across the river near Warrenton White Sulphur Springs.

The most laughable fight was at Manassas Junction, August 27th, when Jackson got in Pope's rear, and the brigade chased Taylor's New Jersey command into the swamps of Bull Run. One of the 28th was very much astonished, after jumping over a bush from the railroad embankment, to find that he had also jumped over a Yankee crouched beneath. Another was still more astonished when he got on all-fours to take a drink of water, to find that a fellow had sought safety in the culvert. He was an Irishman, and after he had crawled from his hiding-place, he created an uproar by slapping the Tar Heel on the shoulder and remarking: "You got us badly this time. Come, let's take a drink." Both of them "smiled" out of the

same canteen.

At Manassas Plains, on the 28th of August, this regiment was

under a heavy artillery fire while supporting a battery. On the 29th it fought with great coolness, steadiness and desperation on the extreme left of Jackson's line. It was subjected to a heavy artillery fire the next day, the 30th, and there was heavy skirmishing in its front until late in the afternoon. Its loss was five killed and forty-five wounded.

The battle of Ox Hill, near Fairfax Courthouse, was fought September 1, 1862, in a pouring rain. The Twenty-eighth was on the left of the brigade and fought splendidly, though many of its guns fired badly on account of the moisture. It was here that General Branch, when he made known the fact that he was nearly out of ammunition, was ordered "to hold his position at the point of the bayonet." The Twenty-eighth, cold, wet and hungry, was ordered to do picket duty on the battlefield that night without fires.

This regiment was with the Army of Northern Virginia in its march into Maryland; and the first day after crossing the Potomac, September 5th, it feasted on nothing but green corn, browned on the ear before the fires made of the fences in the neighborhood. This was not the first time the regiment had indulged in such a repast.

On the 14th of September it was with the brigade when it climbed the cliffs of the Shenadoah at midnight, and lay concealed next morning on the left and rear of the enemy in their works on "Bolivar Heights," in front of Harper's Ferry, ready and eager for the order to assault, which order was never given as the enemy surrendered under the concentrated fire of the Confederate batteries.

It was in that memorable rapid march from Harper's Ferry to Sharpsburg. On reaching the right of the battlfield, the afternoon of the 17th of September, General A. P. Hill dashed up, and in person ordered it at a double-quick up the road to the left, leading to the town, to defend an unsupported battery, and drive back the enemy's skirmishers who were advancing through a field of corn.

Two days afterward, September 19th, it constituted a part of the rear guard of General Lee's army when he re-crossed the Potomac. At Sheperdstown, on the 20th of September, when the Confederates could not use their artillery, it gallantly advanced "in the face of a storm of round shot, shell and grape," and gloriously helped to drive the enemy precipitately over the bank of the Potomac, where so many were killed attempting to cross the river at the dam above the ford.

Here the regiment was compelled to lay all day on the Virginia shore, and the enemy, from the opposite side of the river, fired

« PreviousContinue »