Page images

so I went on the hunt for General Cheatham. By and by relief was sent to the front. This done, nature gave way. My shoulder was black with bruises from firing, and it seemed that no moisture was left in my system. Utterly exhausted, I sank upon the ground and tried to sleep. The battle was over, and I could do no more; but animated still with concern for the fate of comrades, I returned to the awful spectacle in search of some who, year after year, had been at my side. Ah, the loyalty of faithful comrades in such a struggle! These personal recollections are all that I can give, as the greater part of the battle was fought after nightfall, and once in the midst of it, with but the light of the flashing guns, I could see only what passed directly under my own eyes. True, the moon was shining, but the dense smoke and dust so filled the air as to weaken its benefits, like a heavy fog before the rising sun, only there was no promise of the fog disappearing. Our spirits were crushed. It was indeed the Valley of Death.

[From the Richmond Dispatch, July 19, 1896.]


A Touching Incident of the Civil War Recalled.

During the Confederate reunion recently held in Richmond many good stories were told, many anecdotes related, many gallant deeds recalled of the valor and gallantry of some favorite son, and many tributes of love and respect paid to the noble women of the South, past and present. In view of this last, it might not be inappropriate at this time to recall an incident of the struggle between the North and South that is in a measure familiar to all of those that still cherish the tenderest memories of the dead Confederacy; but the true facts of which are known to a comparative few. If the Confederate veterans, when discussing the thrilling events of the early 60's, had gone out to Hanover Courthouse, a few miles from Richmond, and then journeyed to "Summer Hill," the estate of Mrs. Mary Page Newton, widow of Captain William B. Newton, Confederate States army, they would have found in the family buryingground a grass-covered grave, but with no monument to the honor of the sleeping soldier beneath, no epitaph to his virtues, or to tell how and when he died. There among the whispering pines lies the remains of William Latane, captain of the Essex Troop, 9th Regiment, Stuart's Brigade. "The Burial of Latane" has been made

familiar to history by a poem by John R. Thompson, published in "The University Memorial," and a painting under the same title, by William D. Washington, which was afterwards extensively copied. Washington's original painting is said to have sold for $10,000, and was afterwards destroyed by a fire in New York. The "copies"

[ocr errors]

were numerous, and many of them can still be found in the North, as well as the South, as the subject was one that excited general interest. The fact is not generally known, however, that the figures in the picture are all taken from models, who sat for the picture in Richmond, and are not the likenesses of the originals that figured in the pathetic scene of the burial at Summer Hill," on the 14th of August, 1862. Captain Latane, who was a mere boy, was killed on the road from Hanover Courthouse to Old Church. At that time McClellan's army was close on to Richmond, and was in possession of the country surrounding Hanover Courthouse. Captain Latane's brother was first lieutenant of the same company, and when his brother was killed Lieutenant Latane took charge of the body, hoping to find friends to bury it. He found a negro boy driving the mill-cart from Westwood,' the home of Dr. William S. R. Brockenbrough, and the adjoining place to "Summer Hill," Mrs. Newton being a niece of Mrs. Brockenbrough's. Mrs. Brockenbrough took charge of the body, and, as a Federal picket was in possession of "Westwood," Lieutenant Latane was supplied with a horse by Mrs. Brockenbrough, and at once rejoined his command. This was on the 13th of August, 1862, and on the following day Captain Latane was buried at Summer Hill. The picture is a correct portrayal of the burial, with the exception of the mythical figures. An Episcopal minister was sent for to read the services, but he was not allowed to pass the pickets, and as the men were all in the army, the funeral had to be conducted by the ladies of the two households, assisted by a few family servants that were too faithful to run away or that were too infirm for the Yankees to carry. It was indeed a scene worthy the language of any poet, the brush of any artist. Though a stranger to them personally, the young captain's cause was their cause, and his principles their principles, so tenderly and gently they placed him in his grave, and the young girls covered him over with flowers. Mrs. Newton read the burial service of the Episcopal Church, and as the grave was being filled by the faithful negroes the ladies sang "Nearer, My God, to Thee" and "Rock of Ages." Besides Mrs. Newton, there were present Mrs. Brockenbrough and her little daughter, supposed to be the

child in the picture; her two nieces, Misses Maria and May Dabney; Mrs. Dr. J. Philip Smith, and Miss Judith White Newton, afterwards Mrs. Edwin C. Claybrook.

A thread of romance has always been wound around the incident, which was possibly due to Thompson's poem and Washington's painting. It is said that young Latane's sweetheart requested a picture of the tragic affair, and when this idea was suggested to the artist, he made his picture as true to life as possible, only substituting other figures for the originals. Mr. Washington visited "Summer Hill" for the purpose of getting the correct scenery, and in this respect his picture is true to nature. Mrs. Newton is still living at Summer Hill, and Mrs. Brockenbrough is at the church home in Richmond. The rest of those present at the burial have themselves now gone to join the "silent majority." Captain Latane was a brother of Bishop Latane, of the reformed Episcopal Church, who now lives in Baltimore, and the ladies that buried young Latane were the near kin of Bishop Newton, of the Episcopal Church of Virginia, although at that time the two families did not know each other.

Bishop Latane, in speaking recently of his brother's death, said that his family had often thought of moving their brother's remains to Hollywood, in Richmond, or to the old home in Essex county, but Virginia homes are changing hands so often now, that they had decided to let him sleep in the graveyard at Summer Hill, where he was tenderly placed by sympathetic friends.

Baltimore, Md., July 12.

R. C. S.

[From the Richmond Times, July 12, 1896.]


How He Swept Through Fifty-Two Towns Like a Cyclone.

One of the most extraordinary expeditions of the war was the raid of General John H. Morgan through Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. One of his soldiers writes:

Our entire command consisted of about 1,500 men, all brave and resolute, well armed and mounted, and eager for the race. General Basil Duke and Colonel Dick Morgan were in the van, Captain

McFarland, of the Second Kentucky cavalry, being the senior captain and acting as major.

From Burksville we proceeded on through Columbia, Campbellsville and Lebanon, where the command fought from early dawn till late in the evening, putting to rout the enemy and capturing many of them, and destroying the government property. Thence to Springfield and Bardstown, whence the Yankees trailed their banners and fled at the sight of the Stars and Bars; thence through Bloomington, Garnetsville, to Brandenburg, on the Ohio river, where the command captured two steamboats, and one-half of the command were crossed over to fight out and disperse about 1,000 men ensconsed in a wheat-field on the Indiana side, while the other half were engaged with two gunboats that had come down the river to prevent the crossing.

General Morgan had brought his artillery to bear on them, and in the engagements one of the gunboats was badly crippled, while the other had to assist it to save the crew, and they skedaddled up the river. The army all crossed over to a man, and the enemy in the wheat-field were captured and dispersed, all prisoners being paroled.

Being on the Indiana side, strict orders were given to keep in line and have no straggling. They moved on to Corydon, where the enemy, made up of citizens and soldiers, had the foolhardiness to send out a flag of truce and demand an immediate surrender, but it was promptly returned with the order to surrender at once, or the town would be torn to pieces with shot and shell.

They surrendered without much fighting. About 1,200 were captured, and a large amount of government stores were destroyed. The command proceeded to Palmyra, where a short fight took place and more government stores were destroyed. Occasionally some parties would cheer the command; they were evidently Southern sympathisers. This, however, was in the Hoosier, but not in the Buckeye State. The command moved on to Canton, where more prisoners were taken, and more property destroyed; thence to New Philadelphia, with more prisoners and a skirmish. In fact, the command was never out of the sound of arms, or the flash of gunpowder.

The command then moved on through Vienna, Lexington, Paris, Vernon, Dupont and Versailles. There the command had a pretty good skirmish, and more government property was destroyed.

The country passed through was well cultivated and in fine crops, and the citizens moved and looked as if no war was on hand. No

pillaging or thieving was allowed, and none of it was done. Only provisions for men and provender for stock were taken, and Confederate money offered, which was refused. The command was kept under strict orders and discipline enforced. The Yankee women had no smiles for us, and treated and looked upon us as savages.

The command had fighting and skirmishing through the towns of New Boston, New Baltimore, Williamsburg, Sardinia, Winchester, Jacksonville, Locust Grove, Jasper, Packville, Beaver, Jackson, Butland, Chester and Buffington's Island. Here it attempted to cross the Ohio river in the face of all the gunboats on the river and 40,000 cavalry and citizens, and held them in check for three hours, when General Basil Duke and half of the command were taken prisoners and sent down the river to Cincinnati. There, the people, it is said, treated them to all manner of abuse they could devise. The little boys were allowed to spit in their faces. From there they were sent to Camp Morton, Ind., where they were stripped, their clothes searched, and not as much as a button left them.

At Buffington's Island General Morgan and the other half of the command cut their way through the Yankee files and went on till the 26th of July, passing through the following towns in Ohio: Portland, Harrisonville, Nelsonville, Cumberland, Greenville, Washington, Moorefield, Smithland, New Alexandria, Richmond, Springfield, Mechanicsville, West Point and Salineville. Near the last place General Morgan and his brother, Colonel Morgan, were captured with the rest of the command, the chief officers being sentenced to the penitentiary at Columbus, Ohio, and the rest of the command to Camp Chase, receiving the same treatment as the others. The general and his part of the command were in about ten miles of the Pennsylvania line, fighting all the way.

The number of towns passed through in the raid was fifty-two in all-nine in Kentucky, fourteen in Indiana, and twenty-nine in Ohio.

« PreviousContinue »