Page images

Dropped at the reorganization of the Army: Lieutenant F. N. Armstead.

Transferred: Privates Walter S. Jones and Joseph Herbert.

Deserted at the evacuation: 25.

Number entered at organization: 63:

Number that left Norfolk and were afterwards assigned: 62.


At McCarthy's Farm: Captain Charles R. McAlpine, privates Elvin K. Casey, Wm. E. St. George, and Julius Ward and one who deserted.

Salem Church: Captain C. R. McAlpine and lieutenant C. W. Murdaugh.

Gettysburg: private Elvin K. Casey.

Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg: Captain Charles R. McAlpine, Elvin K. Casey, Wm. Mason, Edward King, John D. White, and Julius Ward.

Wilderness: Captain Charles R. McAlpine, lieutenant John Hobday, and private Elvin K. Casey.

Shady Grove: Private Charles N. Collins.

Spotsylvania C. H.: Captain Charles R. McAlpine, lieutenant John Hobday, privates Charles N. Collins, Albert Powell, and John D. White.

Wilcox Farm: Captain C. R. McAlpine, lieutenant John Hobday, privates Charles N. Collins, John C. Miller, and Richard White.


Salem Church: Lieutenant C. W. Murdaugh and sergeant Chas. Evans.

Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg: Revil W. Custis, James E. Mears, and one who deserted.

Wilderness: Elvin K. Casey.

Shady Grove: Wm. Mason.

Spotsylvania: Joseph King and Thomas Butt, who was mortally wounded.

Turkey Ridge: George King and Ammon Peek.

Frazier's Farm: Captain C. R. McAlpine.

Crater: Lieutenant John Hobday, J. D. White, sergeant Richard White.

Johnson's Farm: John C. Miller.


Major Charles R. McAlpine, Captain John Hobday, sergeant M. P. Kilgore, privates Elvin K. Casey, Charles N. Collins, John C. Miller, John D. White, Richard White, and Julius Ward.


Sergeant Calvin Peek, October 27, 1864, Burgess' Mill.
Sergeant Ammon Peek, October 27, 1864, Burgess' Mill.
Sergeant Charles Evans, October 19, 1864, Johnson's Farm.
Sergeant Laban T. Godwin, October 19, 1864, Johnson's Farm.
Private Denward Hyslop, October 19, 1864, Johnson's Farm.
Private George King, October 19, 1864, Johnson's Farm.
Private Thomas Peel, October 19, 1864, Johnson's Farm.
Private Elias W. Cherry, July 4, 1863, Gettysburg.
Private Joseph F. Hewlett, July 4, 1863, Gettysburg.
Private Joseph F. Mears, May 29, 1864, Hanover county.

["B." in Warrenton Virginian, February, 1896.


After the defeat of General Early, at the battle of the Opequon, on September 19, 1864, his command fell back up the Valley. The brigade of cavalry under General Wickham occupied a strong position at Milford, twelve miles south of Front Royal, and Custer made repeated efforts to force him from the position, without effect. About this time it was reported to Captain Chapman, of Mosby's command, that a large wagon train was en route from Milford to Winchester, under the escort of a small body of men. He immediately made disposition for its capture at Front Royal. For this purpose he divided his men into two parties. One party was to attack the train at a point where a cross-road from Chester's Gap intersects the Front Royal and Luray grade; the other, under the immediate command of Chapman, was to fall upon the front of the train, about 600 yards from the town, where there is a hill on one side and a ravine on the other. It seems that Custer had divined in some way the Confed

erate plans, and, instead of a small train guard, he had his whole division behind the wagons. He waited till the attack was made upon the front, when he threw a large force upon the Manor grade, a road running parallel with the Luray road, and took possession of Chester's Gap, Chapman's line of retreat. The latter promptly attacked the train, when he, in turn, was attacked in his rear. He immediately turned upon the force behind him, determined to cut his way out. The Federals, who had preceded him to the gap, had thrown a strong line across a narrow defile under the command of a captain or major, who stood upon foot in the middle of the road. Chapman formed his men in column, and boldly charged through this line. In the meleé, the Federal captain saw he would be captured or ridden down, and offered to surrender himself; but the pressure behind the Confederates was too great for them to stop to parley with one man, and some of those in the rear, not understanding the situation, emptied their revolvers into the captain, killing him instantly. The most of Mosby's men succeeded in getting away, but some had their horses shot, and others were cut off. Among these were, Anderson, Love, Overby, Carter and Henry Rhodes, of the Twenty-third Virginia Regiment. Custer determined to wreak summary vengeance upon these men. Rhodes was lashed with ropes between two horses, and dragged in plain sight of his agonized relatives to the open field of our town, where one man volunteered to do the killing, and ordered the helpless, dazed prisoner to stand up in front of him, while he emptied his pistol upon him. Anderson and Love were shot in a lot behind the court house. Overby and Carter were carried to a large walnut tree upon the hill between Front Royal and Riverton, and were hanged. The writer saw the latter under guard in a wagon lot. They bore themselves like heroes, and endured the taunts of their captors with proud and undaunted mein. One of them was a splended specimen of manhood-tall, well knit frame, with a head of black, wavy hair, floating in the wind, he looked like a knight of old. While I was looking at them, General Custer, at the head of his division, rode by. He was dressed in a splendid suit of silk velvet, his saddle bow bound in silver or gold. In his hand he had a large branch of damsons, which he picked and ate as he rode along. He was a distinguished looking man, with his yellow locks resting upon his shoulders. Rhodes was my friend and playmate, and I saw him shot from a distance, but did not at the time know who it was.

[blocks in formation]

Thinking that the roster of the original Howitzer Company, in its hurried and partial organization when it went to Harper's Ferry to meet the invaders of Virginia's sacred soil, under old John Brown, would not only be interesting to the survivors, but to your many readers, I venture to enclose it to you. It is taken from a copy of the Richmond Whig, dated November 22, 1859, and was furnished by the New York Historical Society and handed to me by Mr. R. W. Royal of this city (who was a gallant member of Company I., Richmond Howitzers, during the war), to be turned over to the Confederate Museum. It will also prove highly interesting to follow the career of many of these gallant members during the war. The only officers the company had when it left Richmond were the captain and orderly sergeant. Afterwards, John C. Shields, who went out in 1861 as captain of the First Company, but was promoted to Colonel and assigned to command of Camp Lee, the fall of that year was elected First Lieutenant, and John Thompson Brown, who went out in 1861 as captain of the Second Company, and was promoted to Colonel of Artillery, and fell on May 6, 1864, in the Wilderness, was elected Second Lieutenant. The company on the John Brown raid was armed as infantry with muskets.

The roll is follows:


Captain, George W. Randolph.

Orderly Sergeant, G. G. Otey.


Privates: James A. August, Robert M. Anderson, Thomas S. Armistead, A. M. Archer, Wilson N. Bugg, John Thompson Brown, William H. Blackadar, William P. Burwell, Oscar Cranz, Charles Crane, Henry C. Carter, John Esten Cooke, W. W. Caldwell, James Ellett, Horace Edmund, James B. Ficklen, Alex. B. Guigon, Joseph H. Ghio, E. S. Hubbard, A. L. Holladay, Henry S. Jones,

William H. Lipscomb, Lucian Lewis, Dr. Theodore P. Mayo, John Mathews, Paul Michaux, Thomas J. Macon, Lawrence S. Marye, T. G. Peachy,, Hugh R. Pleasants, Dr. William P. Palmer, Thomas Pollard, Jr., Edward Pistolette, Robert W. Powers, Hugh L. Powell, John B. Royall, John C. Shields, William B. Smith, Harrison Sublett, T. E. Stratton, William R. Todd, R. D. Ward, William F. Watson, Henry S. Williams, John H. Williams, Charles H. Wynne, Samuel T. Bailey.

[From the Richmond Times, April 5, 1896.]



What Edmund Ruffin, Who is Accorded the Honor by Many, Wrote the Day of the Historical Event.

To the Editor of the Times:

SIR,-I enclose you an extract from the Southern Historical Society Papers of 1884, pages 501-504, in regard to "Who fired the first gun at Fort Sumter?"

At the time I published this article, the statement made by General S. B. Lee, that Captain George S. James fired the first gun, was the only claim to that distinction that had come to my notice.

Since then several more claim this honor.

Now, inasmuch as you have had an article from my friend and schoolmate, James P. Harrison, of Danville, asking for the facts in regard to the claim that Edmund Ruffin shot the first gun, I hope you will publish what he himself wrote the day of that event, and the clippings from newspapers of that date, which I think will establish the fact beyond a doubt.

Old Church, Va., March 30, 1896.

The extract referred to above follows:



(Letter from General Stephen D. Lee.)

I wish to correct an error which has almost passed into an historical fact. It is this: That Edmund Ruffin, of Virginia, did not

« PreviousContinue »